Notices

THW mock draft: Calgary takes Lindholm, Fucale, Hagg

Old
06-29-2013, 09:04 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
THW mock draft: Calgary takes Lindholm, Fucale, Hagg

I recently published a two-round mock draft on thehockeywriters: http://thehockeywriters.com/ives-moc...hl-mock-draft/

I was curious what the Flames faithful thought of the three players I projected Calgary selecting with their trio of first rounders: Lindholm (6), Fucale (22) and Hagg (28).

StevenToddIves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Qubax

We could do worse

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Fucale and Hagg?

Ew.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:08 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I love Hagg but no offense but **** off with Fucale.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:18 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I'm with these guys. No goalies in the first round

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:38 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

I'm not at all hoping for Fucale. In my best case scenario, we land Monahan, Rychel and Mueller (or Heatherington).

LetsGoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

With 5 goalies in the organization with 2-3 with high potential (Ramo, Gillies, Brossoit) and a wildcard in Berra, I don't like the idea of using a 1st on a G.

Pick one up in the 3rd or later if there's a good one available at the right time, but I hope they don't touch one in the 1st.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:45 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

Just saw in your draft, you've got Rychel available at 22 (fingers crossed), but Heatherington at 59? Agree to disagree I guess. Either way, pretty good mock in my opinion. Cheers.

Old
06-29-2013, 09:49 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlames View Post
Just saw in your draft, you've got Rychel available at 22 (fingers crossed), but Heatherington at 59? Agree to disagree I guess. Either way, pretty good mock in my opinion. Cheers.
Yeah, I'm sure I got a few things wrong, but much of my research was from reading A LOT of player rankings and A LOT of team draft previews.

Anyway, thanks for reading and the kind words!

Old
06-29-2013, 10:06 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenToddIves View Post
Yeah, I'm sure I got a few things wrong, but much of my research was from reading A LOT of player rankings and A LOT of team draft previews.

Anyway, thanks for reading and the kind words!
Well deserved. You obviously put a lot of time into it and I LOVE that you put a little blurb about each prospect on your list. Makes for a great read. Well done.

Old
06-29-2013, 10:10 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

Honest question, Steven. Do you truly believe the Aves will pass on hometown Seth Jones and select Mackinnon? Or is it a ploy by the Aves to try and entice Florida or Tampa into paying a good price to move up to get Mac? I'm kind of on the fence about it myself. Could see either scenario playing out right now.

Old
06-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Lindholm is great, Hagg is okay but Fucale at 22 is awful.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:06 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Quote:
Honest question, Steven. Do you truly believe the Aves will pass on hometown Seth Jones and select Mackinnon? Or is it a ploy by the Aves to try and entice Florida or Tampa into paying a good price to move up to get Mac? I'm kind of on the fence about it myself. Could see either scenario playing out right now.
To me, there are two possibilities:
1)Joe Sakic is really a good guy, and being friends with Seth Jones' dad (Popeye), he didn't want the kid to be let down on draft day so he announced the Avs were drafting a forward.
2)The Avs want the Panthers, stocked all over their organization EXCEPT they have no bona fide #1 center, to offer them a deal to flip picks and take MacKinnon.

I cannot say which option it is. That being said, I am firmly convinced both players will be franchise-type superstars, and any team which takes them will be pleased as punch ten years down the road.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:22 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

Quote:
To me, there are two possibilities:
1)Joe Sakic is really a good guy, and being friends with Seth Jones' dad (Popeye), he didn't want the kid to be let down on draft day so he announced the Avs were drafting a forward.
2)The Avs want the Panthers, stocked all over their organization EXCEPT they have no bona fide #1 center, to offer them a deal to flip picks and take MacKinnon.

I cannot say which option it is. That being said, I am firmly convinced both players will be franchise-type superstars, and any team which takes them will be pleased as punch ten years down the road.
I personally think scenario #2 is in play. Beyond that, I agree. Both Jones and Mac will be brilliant for a long time, which makes the pick a simple matter of preference. But to me that still says Aves take Jones (Though with O'Reilly's contract, maybe Mac does make sense). Either way it should make for an interesting tomorrow. Both Colorado and Florida should end up liking their picks in any event. (Provided they both keep them). I'm SO excited! Happy draft eve! It's like Christmas in July! And sure, with 3 picks 1 of the Flames selections will likely end up being a cheesy seasonal sweater, but hopefully we can land that shiny red bike we've been longing for with another pick (6th?).

Old
06-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
I recently published a two-round mock draft on thehockeywriters: http://thehockeywriters.com/ives-moc...hl-mock-draft/

I was curious what the Flames faithful thought of the three players I projected Calgary selecting with their trio of first rounders: Lindholm (6), Fucale (22) and Hagg (28).
I would be greatly pleased if Calgary leaves the first round with those players.

Mind you, I'm also not an accurate representation of the fans who post here - many of whom would be disappointed with two, possibly all three of those selections.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:05 AM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Quote:
I personally think scenario #2 is in play. Beyond that, I agree. Both Jones and Mac will be brilliant for a long time, which makes the pick a simple matter of preference. But to me that still says Aves take Jones (Though with O'Reilly's contract, maybe Mac does make sense). Either way it should make for an interesting tomorrow. Both Colorado and Florida should end up liking their picks in any event. (Provided they both keep them). I'm SO excited! Happy draft eve! It's like Christmas in July! And sure, with 3 picks 1 of the Flames selections will likely end up being a cheesy seasonal sweater, but hopefully we can land that shiny red bike we've been longing for with another pick (6th?).
As someone who has always loved the Flames, I am holding out hope that they can somehow get Barkov, but Lindholm/Monahan are both tremendous talents in their own rights.

I will be at the draft of course -- you can follow my Twitter feed at @StIves72

Old
06-30-2013, 01:09 AM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Thanks, Stewie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I would be greatly pleased if Calgary leaves the first round with those players.

Mind you, I'm also not an accurate representation of the fans who post here - many of whom would be disappointed with two, possibly all three of those selections.
I agree with you, Stewie. I think my Flames draft would leave them five years down the road with their first true #1 center since Gilmour/Nieuwendyk, a starting goalie, and a solid 3/4 defenseman. I don't see how that would be bad for the future of the franchise.

Old
06-30-2013, 02:33 AM
Volica

Not a bad draft.

I'd love Lindholm, Hagg and Morrissey, at 6, 22 and 28.
Two potential top four d-men and a potential top line center. I call that a win.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:38 AM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Not a bad draft.

I'd love Lindholm, Hagg and Morrissey, at 6, 22 and 28.
Two potential top four d-men and a potential top line center. I call that a win.
Me too!

Old
06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
DoubleJ96

Do not want Fucale. As good as he is said to be, the Flames have enough goalies in the pipe that they don't need to waste a first on another one.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:40 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

vCash: 50
Gross

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Lindholm is great, Hagg is okay but Fucale at 22 is awful.
i agree. love Lindholm, but i think Hagg is vanilla. i would be on board with anyone who says no goalies in the first round.

Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote