Notices

an old favorite of mine

Old
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
an old favorite of mine

couple years back i thought it might make sense to take a chance on gilbert brule... the kid has really good 'skills' and was a very highly reguarded 'top 10' type pick coming out of junior. of course, he had all sorts of problems with constistency at the nhl level and probably didnt keep himself in good enough shape. ultimately he bounced out of the league.

so now he wants to make a comeback. he just did a very indepth interview with a paper out of vancouver that got into details about his personal life growing up. i guess he was carrying alot of baggage that interfered with his ability to play hockey.

what some fans might not realize... is the rumors are strong that brule and lucic were quite tight when they were playing together out in vancouver as kids... like best friends i guess.

brules can play center and shoots right... he can play rw too. he actually plays a strong agitator style for a 'soft skilled type' player.

theres talk in both vancouver and edmonton for one of these teams to give brule a professional tryout invitation to camp but im going to suggest we should think about it too. this is a guy that will be playing for near league minimum this year. he says he is over his depression problems and is in the best shape of his life. he actually is talented enough to be a first line player if he ever did get his act together.

bring him in for a third line roll on a two-way contract and he is a potential STEAL. We have Lucic here that could reach out to him and convince him to come to a winning team like ours instead of questionable teams like vancouver and edmonton that might end up sucking again. even if a kid like knight or spooner did outright win the third line spot that is open, brule could still end up as a very affordable 13th forward for us. i am not sure i want to stick a kid in the 13 and 14th forward spots and stunt their development.

i made at least 20 proposals over the years which included in one way or the other bringing brule to boston... now i cant help thinking it might make more sense than ever. we are in so tight for the cap and brule will be cheap. we got a hole on the third line for either a center or a rw depending what happens with kelly and whether soderberg plays center or wing. professional tryouts dont commit us to anything if for some reason brule relapses.

its a no lose situation to give this kid a try... so im saying make it happen. I hope chiarelli/lucic are already on the case.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:47 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Michael, I don't think Brule is complementary to what the Bruins already have on their roster or in their system. If they are going to give a tryout to someone, I'd rather it be a "big center" type, somebody in contrast to the current players. At least in that case if the player pans out, it gives you something to think about to tweak the makeup of your roster.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Malt

I'd be surprised if Brule could do anything at this point in his career that couldn't be topped by Fraser/Caron/Cunningham.

I'm sure if Lucic makes the recommendation, Brule could get a camp invite. But this year is all about the "kids".

Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
finchster

I've always liked Brule, I watched him with the Giants and thought he would be at least a third line guy. His career was really side lined by injuries and apparent depression because of his relationship with his father
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...967/story.html

Now, Brule can play wing and we might be missing a third line right wing. If he would take 500k a year to play that position it could benefit the Bruins. If we gave Pandolfo a tryout (and a contract) I wouldn't mind to give Brule a try out.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
acr*

During the '04 lockout, at the start of that season Brule was regarded as the clear #2 to Crosby. Not in Crosby's league but still the clear cut #2 in the class. Over the course of the year he kept slipping and wound up at 7 or something like that and never really made an impact. He must have some kind of talent that he never could put together.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
During the '04 lockout, at the start of that season Brule was regarded as the clear #2 to Crosby. Not in Crosby's league but still the clear cut #2 in the class. Over the course of the year he kept slipping and wound up at 7 or something like that and never really made an impact. He must have some kind of talent that he never could put together.
The link finchster posted explains what happened to Brule. I hope the guy can make it back. Sounds like he's had a tough go of it.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:41 PM
chizzler

Don't want him. If anything goes wrong, it affects Lucic.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:50 AM
ODAAT

Just not convinced he could even crack this roster as it`s comprised right now

Empathize with his story and I hope someone gives him another opportunity but I doubt there`s one player he`d outplay

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Just not convinced he could even crack this roster as it`s comprised right now

Empathize with his story and I hope someone gives him another opportunity but I doubt there`s one player he`d outplay
The Bruins have no room for him but there are plenty of teams who might. No harm IMHO in someone giving him a chance to prove himself at the AHL level. If he's good enough, he'll work his way up.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:53 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The Bruins have no room for him but there are plenty of teams who might. No harm IMHO in someone giving him a chance to prove himself at the AHL level. If he's good enough, he'll work his way up.
I could see a Nashville or Florida maybe?? There are worse options out there

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:23 AM
vjcsmoke

This is a real tough roster to crack for anyone. I mean we have openings on the 3rd line, but it is going to be really crowded. Good luck to the young man making an NHL roster. I hope he turns it around.

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote