HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part X: Pousse mais pousse égal Gary! (Mod warning post #774)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 02:01 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to SaintPatrick33
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I hope for consistency's sake you have the same feeling towards Sonics fans that are pissed at the NBA....
I do. While I think what the NBA did to Seattle was corruption at it's finest (or worst) I don't see the reason for Sonic fans to get emotional about it. It's big-league sports: These things happen. Nobody should be investing that much emotional baggage in a sports team. It certainly ain't worth loading up on a worthless emotion like hate over it.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
I do. While I think what the NBA did to Seattle was corruption at it's finest (or worst) I don't see the reason for Sonic fans to get emotional about it. It's big-league sports: These things happen. Nobody should be investing that much emotional baggage in a sports team. It certainly ain't worth loading up on a worthless emotion like hate over it.
And that's good that you have consistent logic, but... if you don't have a deep emotional investment in a sports team, I honestly would say that you're not much of a sports fan.

"Fan" comes from "fanatic," and by and large that's what we are. We spend a huge amount of time watching and discussing our teams, spend a good deal of money (and a lot if we regularly attend games) on them, a win can make our day and a lose can make us grumpy the next, and our teams can be a source of civic pride for most.

It's only natural for your team to be a big part of what you are. We spend our days identifying ourselves as such by and large, so being upset that a team gets stolen from you and if you're not even given the opportunity to have a chance to show your support again can definitely be aggravating.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:13 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
And that's good that you have consistent logic, but... if you don't have a deep emotional investment in a sports team, I honestly would say that you're not much of a sports fan.

"Fan" comes from "fanatic," and by and large that's what we are. We spend a huge amount of time watching and discussing our teams, spend a good deal of money (and a lot if we regularly attend games) on them, a win can make our day and a lose can make us grumpy the next, and our teams can be a source of civic pride for most.

It's only natural for your team to be a big part of what you are. We spend our days identifying ourselves as such by and large, so being upset that a team gets stolen from you and if you're not even given the opportunity to have a chance to show your support again can definitely be aggravating.
To put it plainly, I'm a fan of the sport first and particular teams second. While I'm consistently a fan of the Caps and the Habs I'm not going to get all depressed when they get eliminated from the playoffs. I don't need a bunch of negative emotions in my life. Why on Earth would I willingly allow myself to wallow in negative emotions and make myself miserable?

Last edited by SaintPatrick33: 07-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 02:19 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
I could tell you why I feel the way I feel, but it would likely get me banned. So let's just me say this: No, I won't "dial back the hate", quite the contrary, the hate is more likely to grow than to disappear. I won't express it that much, but it will be there and it will be massive.
I can feel your pain but probably not to the extent you feel it. I was living in Pittsburgh when all the new arena stuff, threats to go to KC or Portland where going down. I am now in the PNW with the chance for an NHL team to be in this area and I am thrilled. But I cannot imagine what it is like for fans in a hockey rich area like QC must feel with the way the NHL is treating you.

As a fellow Pens fan and even more a fan of the sport of hockey I truly want you to have your team in QC back. Honestly it should be the Coyotes if they leave Phoenix and I have been quite up front about that. But I will not complain if they come to Seattle for selfish reasons but I also hope that you stay a fan until your team comes back. Until that time I look forward to reading your posts about QC and more importantly the Pens!!

Old
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
To put it plainly, I'm a fan of the sport first and particular teams second. While I'm consistently a fan of the Caps and the Habs I'm not going to get all depressed when they get eliminated from the playoffs. I don't need a bunch of negative emotions in my life. Why on Earth would I willingly allow myself to wallow in negative emotions and make myself miserable?
And that's the key there.... you're not a fan of a team, so you don't have an emotional investment. That's a key difference that separates you from most sports fans who are fans of a team.

More often then not, you're raised into the team you're a fan of. It's a part of who you are oftentimes before you even make the choice yourself.

Plus, without the lows, the highs aren't there as well. For how good you may feel about a team you were merely rooting for when they win, that's absolutely nothing compared to the jubilation you feel when the team you're actually a fan of wins.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
And that's the key there.... you're not a fan of a team, so you don't have an emotional investment. That's a key difference that separates you from most sports fans who are fans of a team.

More often then not, you're raised into the team you're a fan of. It's a part of who you are oftentimes before you even make the choice yourself.

Plus, without the lows, the highs aren't there as well. For how good you may feel about a team you were merely rooting for when they win, that's absolutely nothing compared to the jubilation you feel when the team you're actually a fan of wins.
Well, I'm from the Washington DC area and was raised in a Redskins environment. I got plenty of jubilation when they were winning Super Bowls and I have no doubt if and when they win another one I'll be jubilant once again. However they've been mostly losing for 20 years and I refuse to allow myself to get depressed over it. It simply is what it is and I move on. I don't have to indulge in lows to experience the highs.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Habs05

MOD

The problem is that Qc city saw the Thrashers passing in front of them and going to Winnipeg. Why? Because WPG was ready with their arena even tho Qc wanted them. But, at least that was understandable...

Now Qc might see a team in peril for a second time, passing in front of their noses. Now they are ready, they waited long enough they lost their team 1 year before Winnipeg! And, guess what? They might not get the team again... Why? Because THIS time it's the city that ISN'T ready that might get the team...

But how could this happen??? The answer is: Seattle is a big american market!!!

??? We heard Bettman saying himself that a bigger city with many major leagues isn't better than a small city with no pro sports team. You can hear him saying that at the 3:14 min mark in this video.

The same thing happened before in Atlanta and might happen soon in Glendale and yet the NHL continue to laugh at Qc to continue their american experiment while in Canada the only thing they want is hockey period.

So yes if Glendale loses the yotes and land in Seattle there will be hate. I'm not even a nords fan and I know I'll feel it too. As someone wrote earlier you really get the feeling that the league doesn't want you at all.

Last edited by kdb209: 07-01-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
I can feel your pain but probably not to the extent you feel it. I was living in Pittsburgh when all the new arena stuff, threats to go to KC or Portland where going down. I am now in the PNW with the chance for an NHL team to be in this area and I am thrilled. But I cannot imagine what it is like for fans in a hockey rich area like QC must feel with the way the NHL is treating you.

As a fellow Pens fan and even more a fan of the sport of hockey I truly want you to have your team in QC back. Honestly it should be the Coyotes if they leave Phoenix and I have been quite up front about that. But I will not complain if they come to Seattle for selfish reasons but I also hope that you stay a fan until your team comes back. Until that time I look forward to reading your posts about QC and more importantly the Pens!!
Thanks for your support and I'll remainna fan for sure. I'm emotionally invest in the Pens and thr only one I would punish by stop watching would be me.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:41 AM
FinnHab

So Quebec is out and Seattle gets Coyotes if relocation is reality? That is dissapointing if its true

Old
07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Mandala

If Phoenix relocates and Seattle is a done deal then why:

1) Absolute no reaction from Quebecor, PKP or the mayor of Quebec City?

2) A special law is adopted in Quebec effective today to stop a construction strike?

3) Wait so late in the season to announce the relocation? Regardless of destination, you screw up the first year of the "new" team, more so in Seattle? Per example, I doubt the Seattle group will be able to sold out even the little Key Arena with so little time for preparation (marketing, seat configuration, etc.).

Somehow, this tells me that the game is not over and all this is a negotiation tactic over the price of relocation. The highest bidder will win.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Stop it guys with the Seattle non-sense. Stay positive.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
Stop it guys with the Seattle non-sense. Stay positive.
I feel and always have felt the Yotes are staying at least one more year. This 4 year rollercoaster has taught me one thing, expect the unexpected. If everyone is looking at Seattle that is the least likely place this ride stops.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandala View Post
If Phoenix relocates and Seattle is a done deal then why:

1) Absolute no reaction from Quebecor, PKP or the mayor of Quebec City?

2) A special law is adopted in Quebec effective today to stop a construction strike?

3) Wait so late in the season to announce the relocation? Regardless of destination, you screw up the first year of the "new" team, more so in Seattle? Per example, I doubt the Seattle group will be able to sold out even the little Key Arena with so little time for preparation (marketing, seat configuration, etc.).

Somehow, this tells me that the game is not over and all this is a negotiation tactic over the price of relocation. The highest bidder will win.
Guys, come on....!!
the special law to stop the construction strike in all the province is not related with hockey....

Old
07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
I feel and always have felt the Yotes are staying at least one more year. This 4 year rollercoaster has taught me one thing, expect the unexpected. If everyone is looking at Seattle that is the least likely place this ride stops.
Haha Stop believing the Seattle propaganda. Seattle is not ready to host an NHL team.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:51 AM
thegreaterikku

Holy Hell... some people here are insane.

1. There is no words from Quebec because that's how the NHL wants it. Labeaume, nor PKP will risk of becoming the new Ballsilie just because they want to talk.

2. The special law. You must be one of those guys that claims chemtrails are a conspiracy right?

3. Quebec will have it's team. Just not this year. There is no way the Yotes are moving now, not in July. The council will ask for one more year which the NHL will accept because that will give one more year for Seattle to set things up. It's no secret that the NHL has nothing to gain, monetary speaking, by placing a team in Quebec. It won't rise ad revenue up, nor will it help with TV ratings and price (NBC has a cancel/penalty clause if the NHL drops below 23 US teams). It will only split the Quebec market in fraction while giving a slight boost in fiscal revenue. So it's only normal that they want Seattle, as a business owner myself, it's really easy to understand.

The only thing that can help Quebec now is the NBA saying a definitive no to a Seattle expansion.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreaterikku View Post
Holy Hell... some people here are insane.

1. There is no words from Quebec because that's how the NHL wants it. Labeaume, nor PKP will risk of becoming the new Ballsilie just because they want to talk.

2. The special law. You must be one of those guys that claims chemtrails are a conspiracy right?

3. Quebec will have it's team. Just not this year. There is no way the Yotes are moving now, not in July. The council will ask for one more year which the NHL will accept because that will give one more year for Seattle to set things up. It's no secret that the NHL has nothing to gain, monetary speaking, by placing a team in Quebec. It won't rise ad revenue up, nor will it help with TV ratings and price (NBC has a cancel/penalty clause if the NHL drops below 23 US teams). It will only split the Quebec market in fraction while giving a slight boost in fiscal revenue. So it's only normal that they want Seattle, as a business owner myself, it's really easy to understand.

The only thing that can help Quebec now is the NBA saying a definitive no to a Seattle expansion.
Where did you get that information ??

Old
07-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Interesting link here:
http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-ci...tIndexOnPage=1

Old
07-02-2013, 10:18 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Could mean something, could mean nothing.

I found more fun the 2011 security then the 2013.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Where did you get that information ??
Yeah that's the first I've heard of it too.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:25 AM
thegreaterikku

MOD

It's the only reasonable explanation why the NHL is so adamant to keep losing money there instead of moving the team away. If you have a business, the only reason you insist on losing money, is if moving away is forbidden in fear of losing something even bigger. And the only other thing the NHL has is the TV contract. Thus, in fear of losing a somewhat profitable contract, they will keep Glendale as long as it's needed until they find a more suitable city located in the USA... which sparked the rumour about Seattle, Kansas City, Las Vegas and so on.

Last edited by Brodie: 07-02-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: unverified claim of inside knowledge
Old
07-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
All that means is that the NHL has secured a loan with Citibank, and has listed the trademark to the Quenec Nordiques as collateral.

Doing some searching, you'll see an almost identical registration against the trademark for the NHL itself.

http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-ci...tIndexOnPage=1

Old
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Ford did something similar with their trademarks when borrowing to avoid a government bailout

Old
07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Ford did something similar with their trademarks when borrowing to avoid a government bailout
It's absolutely standard operating procedure for secured transactions.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Cryogenic Man

Quote:
Yeah saw that on twitter when NHLwiki let it be known.

That is interesting, considering they did it only 2 years ago along with the Jets one as well.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Tramontane Sirocco
Rookie User

If Quebec has no chance in all this, then I'd just rather them stay in Phoenix, I like the yotes, and would bet money, not much since I don't have much lol, that hockey won't do well in Seattle

Closed Thread