HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread, Part III: 17th Overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2013, 06:28 PM
chipsens

vCash: 670
What sort of a trade chip would Cory Connacher be? (Now that he's been revealed to be an under-sized waterbug instead of a true Calder candidate). Gotta give sth to get sth

Old
06-29-2013, 06:43 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsens View Post
What sort of a trade chip would Cory Connacher be? (Now that he's been revealed to be an under-sized waterbug instead of a true Calder candidate). Gotta give sth to get sth
The guy we just acquired who has the potential to be an effective top-6 player for us when we are lacking NHL ready bodies that have that kind of potential?

Good idea.

EDIT: I'm also trying to figure out why this post is in this thread.

Old
06-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Tragedy

vCash: 100
Quote:
Not sure why so many people were down on Cory this season. No one on the team lit it up offensively and he showed in Tampa that given other offensive talent, he can put up points. He played most of the season on the 3rd line and looked to have some chemistry with zibby and silf. He also drew and bunch of penalities which would have been more useful had our powerplay not looked so anemic without Spezza and Karlsson

Old
06-29-2013, 06:58 PM
chipsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalSilf View Post
The guy we just acquired who has the potential to be an effective top-6 player for us when we are lacking NHL ready bodies that have that kind of potential?

Good idea.

EDIT: I'm also trying to figure out why this post is in this thread.
Ahem. I suggested this, because one scenario might involve trading up to get a crack at Sean Monahan etc. MO Conacher is like a fly buzzing around inside a jar, without a clear objective or plan. Trade him now, before the rest of the NHL discovers we WUZ HAD!

Old
06-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
Not sure why so many people were down on Cory this season. No one on the team lit it up offensively and he showed in Tampa that given other offensive talent, he can put up points. He played most of the season on the 3rd line and looked to have some chemistry with zibby and silf. He also drew and bunch of penalities which would have been more useful had our powerplay not looked so anemic without Spezza and Karlsson
Interestingly enough.

League leaders in penalties drawn per sixty minutes during the regular season

PATRICK KALETA
ZAC RINALDO
NAZEM KADRI
CORY CONACHER
DEREK MACKENZIE
ADAM BURISH
DUSTIN BROWN
JORDIN TOOTOO
CLAUDE GIROUX
ANDREW DESJARDINS

Old
06-29-2013, 07:16 PM
chipsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Silfverberg View Post
Wennberg, Mantha?
Mantha looks promising, at 6'4" and leading Q with 50 goals. Maybe he'll beef up and improve his skating with Sens excellent trainers.

Wennberg is a playmaker, but is he a HARD Swede or a SOFT Swede? DNK...I prefer the other 3: Reichel Erne Mantha.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Senators65

vCash: 5640
I really wouldn't care if we got rid of conacher. I also wouldn't really care if we kept conacher. So i guess i am good either way.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Mantha looks promising, at 6'4" and leading Q with 50 goals. Maybe he'll beef up and improve his skating with Sens excellent trainers.

Wennberg is a playmaker, but is he a HARD Swede or a SOFT Swede? DNK...I prefer the other 3: Reichel Erne Mantha.
mantha's size and skating are two of his strengths.

wennberg is a 'hard' swede

Old
06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Ahem. I suggested this, because one scenario might involve trading up to get a crack at Sean Monahan etc. MO Conacher is like a fly buzzing around inside a jar, without a clear objective or plan. Trade him now, before the rest of the NHL discovers we WUZ HAD!
You guys are seriously under rating Conacher.

Never mind Tampa, Even in Ottawa he was playing as a borderline 2nd line guy. He has speed, good hands, and he can shoot. He fights, finishes checks, and can play both a top-6 role and a bottom-6 role, but mostly just acts like a pest.

Sound familiar? He's basically an undersized Nick Foligno. The only difference being he can also draw penalties instead of taking them. Oh, and he's younger and cheaper as well. He's not Brett Hull but he'll crash a goalie's crease and take a hooking penalty.

Everyone says Conacher was much better in Tampa, so let's compare the scoring rates over 82 games (I included the 6 Ottawa playoffs games to give a better sample size):

Tampa(35 games): 56 points. (high-end 2nd line scoring rate)
Ottawa(20 games): 33 points (high end 3rd line scoring rate)

I think the Ottawa rate is more indicative of where he'll be long term. If he can put up 40 points a year without PP time and can be a general pest, that's a VERY valuable player. Nick Foligno is going to get 3 million a season to do the same thing. As long as you don't expect too much of him, he's a valuable guy.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:12 PM
chipsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
You guys are seriously under rating Conacher.

Never mind Tampa, Even in Ottawa he was playing as a borderline 2nd line guy. He has speed, good hands, and he can shoot. He fights, finishes checks, and can play both a top-6 role and a bottom-6 role, but mostly just acts like a pest.

Sound familiar? He's basically an undersized Nick Foligno. The only difference being he can also draw penalties instead of taking them. Oh, and he's younger and cheaper as well. He's not Brett Hull but he'll crash a goalie's crease and take a hooking penalty.

Everyone says Conacher was much better in Tampa, so let's compare the scoring rates over 82 games (I included the 6 Ottawa playoffs games to give a better sample size):

Tampa(35 games): 56 points. (high-end 2nd line scoring rate)
Ottawa(20 games): 33 points (high end 3rd line scoring rate)

I think the Ottawa rate is more indicative of where he'll be long term. If he can put up 40 points a year without PP time and can be a general pest, that's a VERY valuable player. Nick Foligno is going to get 3 million a season to do the same thing. As long as you don't expect too much of him, he's a valuable guy.
I would definitely KEEP Cory if he had 33 pts in 20 games...but the stats I see show only 8 pts in 20. He's too small to be much of a pest (maybe a gnat).

Old
06-29-2013, 08:17 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
I would definitely KEEP Cory if he had 33 pts in 20 games...but the stats I see show only 8 pts in 20. He's too small to be much of a pest (maybe a gnat).
"82 game pace".

Cory Conacher is one inch smaller than Brad Marchand.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:22 PM
chipsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalSilf View Post
"82 game pace".

Cory Conacher is one inch smaller than Brad Marchand.

...and only half an inch taller than Popo Gigo on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Cory Conacher also played in the AHL and then jumped into a condensed season at the highest level. Even in Ottawa you could see flashes of his offensive talent. He wasn't a fluke in the AHL, and his style lends itself to putting up numbers in the NHL too. Put him on Spezza's wing with a good right winger like Ryan or Silfverberg and that line will wreak havoc.

Conacher is only 23 and just came off a 50 point paced season as a rookie in one of the harder seasons to have played in. He was probably running on fumes at the end of the year and still showed a bunch of talent. I think we'll see him score more than 50 points in the future if he's put in a position to play with other talented players. Hell, he's probably our most offensively gifted left winger already.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:34 PM
BK201

for whatever reason i hope we can get a guy the sens feel real good about.

although i think they'll say whoever they pick were high on their list no matter wha.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:35 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Cory Conacher also played in the AHL and then jumped into a condensed season at the highest level. Even in Ottawa you could see flashes of his offensive talent. He wasn't a fluke in the AHL, and his style lends itself to putting up numbers in the NHL too. Put him on Spezza's wing with a good right winger like Ryan or Silfverberg and that line will wreak havoc.

Conacher is only 23 and just came off a 50 point paced season as a rookie in one of the harder seasons to have played in. He was probably running on fumes at the end of the year and still showed a bunch of talent. I think we'll see him score more than 50 points in the future if he's put in a position to play with other talented players. Hell, he's probably our most offensively gifted left winger already.
Conacher on Spezza's wing is a good idea. But Silfverberg isn't even a top 6 winger at the moment. More like Conacher - Spezza - Michalek. Michalek would add a net presence as well, much better fit.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:38 PM
newerabegins

I'd like to see a Conacher-Spezza-Silfverberg line. IIRC, Spezza played with both Butler and Greening at the end of the 2009-10 season?

In any case, Spezza is the type of guy that can play with two scrubs and turn them into 15-20 goal scorers. It should at least be tried IMO. Both those guys have traits that can mesh well with Spezza.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Hasn't Conacher already been drafted?

Well I'm all set. I've got 150 pages printed out into my binder with all the prospects The Black Book could fit in. Me and my highlighter will be busy tomorrow. Is it copyright infringement if I summarize what the reports say for the Senators picks.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Conacher was the AHL MVP as a rookie, something that's only been done four times in the last 65 years.

Is that not enough to cut him some slack? Why the hell would he even need to be cut slack...he finished 2 points behind Nail Yakupov this season.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:52 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
I'd like to see a Conacher-Spezza-Silfverberg line. IIRC, Spezza played with both Butler and Greening at the end of the 2009-10 season?

In any case, Spezza is the type of guy that can play with two scrubs and turn them into 15-20 goal scorers. It should at least be tried IMO. Both those guys have traits that can mesh well with Spezza.
like:

Conacher - Spezza - Silfverberg
9MM - Turris - Alfie
Pageau - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil

If we don't make a move something like this to start the season maybe?

Old
06-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
like:

9MM - Turris - Alfie
Greening - Smith - Neil

I love the balance of that lineup.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:54 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
like:

9MM - Turris - Alfie
Greening - Smith - Neil

Looks good

Old
06-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Is someone doing up a draft day GDT or is this where we discuss our info.

Old
06-29-2013, 09:55 PM
echeekeep33

I just saw this picture posted on the hockey *********:

Old
06-29-2013, 09:57 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeekeep33 View Post
I just saw this picture posted on the hockey *********:
*looks at picture and doesn't notice anything.*

*looks away.*

*eyes trail off to see 3 SJS picks.*

*realization kicks in and heart skips a beat.*

Old
06-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

They're practicing what happens if a pic is traded I believe.

Back in the 2008 Draft when it was Old Baseball Stadium Scoreboard style with the picks (not computer/digital) they practiced swapping places before the draft.

Although I'm sure if you want to start a Dan Boyle to Ottawa rumour, this will be referenced a lot.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the guy who breaks the trade before all the insiders isn't going to be the intern working the draft screen.

Closed Thread