HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The fate of Ryan Miller

View Poll Results: The fate of Ryan Miller
Traded before the season 75 55.56%
Traded at the deadline 22 16.30%
Walks away after the season 22 16.30%
Signs an extension before the season 5 3.70%
Signs an extension during the season 11 8.15%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Boose30

vCash: 500
you have to trade him before the season starts otherwise ill guarantee he gets injured and we get screwed out of moving him for anything.

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:28 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
If Darcy's not happy with the market now, one's not going to magically appear in a month. Darcy will hold onto him until he faces the choice to lose him for nothing, so Ryan gets moved to be someone's #1B at the deadline for less.
It could be that he's waiting for the Flyers or Islanders to miss out on a few more guys (they've already seen Bernier & Schneider move and Smith re-sign in Phx) and then there will be more pressure on them to get someone.

Gillis said after the Schneider deal that the goalie market is hard and completely different than the trade market for F & D.

It was obvious that he preferred to move Luongo and couldn't because of the contract. So, he had to move Schneider instead and likely for less than he could have gotten last year.

I hope Regier doesn't hold onto them into the season. Although, I think Vanek will be a huge deadline piece. I think the time to move Miller is before the season.

Hopefully he's gone later this month. Kind of like Roy.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:28 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Well he's officially homeless in the area...

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/m...falo-townhouse

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
The Sabres remain intent on moving Ryan Miller but whether it happens this summer or at trade deadline next season remains to be seen...
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

Aside from the logical reasons for it, I think Miller's mindset coming into camp after a summer full of his name in rumor mills will probably become as disenchanted and frustrated as what Luongo has been dealing with. Regier has always been sensitive in the past about harboring any volatile situations that cause dissension in the locker room - so I don't think he keeps Miller going into the season.

I guess the same would be true of Vanek's situation but my feeling is that the Sabres will try to sign a big name in free agency (i.e. Briere, Horton, Clarkson) and use that to persuade Vanek that the rebuild won't be prolonged. I could see them talking with Bartlett sometime next week to probe what an extension would need to be.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Aside from the logical reasons for it, I think Miller's mindset coming into camp after a summer full of his name in rumor mills will probably become as disenchanted and frustrated as what Luongo has been dealing with. Regier has always been sensitive in the past about harboring any volatile situations that cause dissension in the locker room - so I don't think he keeps Miller going into the season.

I guess the same would be true of Vanek's situation but my feeling is that the Sabres will try to sign a big name in free agency (i.e. Briere, Horton, Clarkson) and use that to persuade Vanek that the rebuild won't be prolonged. I could see them talking with Bartlett sometime next week to probe what an extension would need to be.
Edmonton or Philadelphia will eventually get bored if the off season continues to not go their way and do something.

At the very latest Steve Mason will ask Holmgren for directions to the arena for the 11th time in 14 home game and Paul will have had enough of him.

Not a lot of teams pull off the panic move anymore but St Louis is another team you could add to the list if the season starts off poorly for them.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:39 PM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

I can't believe that, with all of the room created by buying out Bryz/Briere, and having STEVE FRIGGIN' MASON as their #1, the Flyers haven't come looking into Miller.

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

I agree. I hope Regier's sense of the situation outweighs his penchant for holding out until he gets exactly what he wants.

the goalie market is unlikely to produce an outcome that Regier can view as "winning the deal"

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Sabresfansince1980

"I can't believe that, with all of the room created by buying out Bryz/Briere, and having STEVE FRIGGIN' MASON as their #1, the Flyers haven't come looking into Miller."

They're looking for a cheaper option (and one that doesn't cost assets in a trade) until having to commit to Miller.

If I'm Holmgren, I try to sign a UFA G for a one year deal to split time with Mason. Then later I'd look to deal Meszros before having to comply with the cap. In a simple trade for Meszaros he can probably expect a 4th rd pick from a team that needs to fill a hole before camp. In a package deal with Buffalo though, Meszaros is really negative value - a cap dump favor (a D-man that Buf doesn't need) that solves two problems for Phily at the same time (goalie and cap room). In that scenario, Holmgren is probably paying more in trade to ditch Meszaros than getting something (even a measley 4th rd pick).

So if Philly looks to Miller, it will probably be after other options fail.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:43 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I've got a weird feeling about today

Ryan Miller might be saying this today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-beyMTEBys&t=1m34s

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sounds like Emery will be signing in Philly and the Isles are seemingly going to get Nabby back. Small market indeed.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:57 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

It would be good for Miller and the Sabres to be realistic. I have been critical of Miller for weak goals and for his attitude and unwanted mouth. BUT I have never sensed anything but warrior in him. He is a first line goalie--10 to 12th in my opinion. He gives his all and represents what we want as far as wanting to win and putting it on the line to do so--even when we did not want him to! One thing Rolston has to be sure of if he wants to develop the younger players and install a good system--the players MUST trust their goalie. If they have no faith in the goalie the system breaks down--slow to pinch, scared of leaving the zone, trying to do other players' jobs. For that reason alone we need to be sure what we are doing. I would not want him given away and the way the market is shaking down the smarter play long term MIGHT be to keep him until the trade deadline....

hizzoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sounds like Emery will be signing in Philly and the Isles are seemingly going to get Nabby back. Small market indeed.
He will either be convinced to re-sign or Regier is going to have to get crafty with this one.

I don't think trading him straight up for a pick and a prospect has ever been an option even with salary retained. Trading him will have to be part of a much bigger deal.

Also feel like Ryan could be holding up any potential deal. Seems hard to believe a deal with Edmonton couldn't have been reached where we took on Horcoffs salary and a pick, along with a prospect and roster player (Pjaarvi) for Miller at half salary.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:30 PM
boots electric

Even if both Philadelphia and New York sign goaltenders in the coming days, there's always a team or two out there with unknown plans that seemingly come out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Miller go to a team we haven't seen discussed much as a potential destination

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:37 PM
SabresBills2012

Think again, we're stuck with Mr.Softy.

SabresBills2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:44 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

He probably wouldn't want to go there... but what about Calgary? Didn't Kiprusoff retire from the NHL?

Flames gonna go with a grouping of Joey MacDonald, Karri Ramo, Karri Takko, Mike Vernon, Jamie McLennan, Jon Gillies, Leland Irving, Brent Krahn and your goalie friend from South Buffalo?

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:02 PM
gallagt01

Gut feeling: Regier is going to move Miller to St. Louis as part of a package including Ennis. Not sure what comes back.

Gives them an upgrade in goal and a shifty "center."

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:27 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
I think Edmonton is still a real possibility.

Interestingly, I just stumbled across an article from a few months back which contained this speculation:

Quote:
Dreger speculated that the Oilers might trade for Ryan Miller or Jonathan Bernier or try to sign unrestricted free agent Mike Smith.
Bernier since went to Toronto
Smith since re-signed
Miller is still available

I also think it is, in some ways, a match made in heaven. The Oilers have a lot of pressure on them to actually make the playoffs with this bunch of elite level kids on offense.They are pretty far west. Even though it's not California, it still puts Ryan Miller a lot closer to California than Buffalo does. Additionally, I don't think Ryan Miller would have them on his 'no-trade' list given their potential (as opposed to calgary). Buffalo has the ability to retain salary, a fact that would much help a franchise like Edmonton. They don't likely want to pay $9million+ for goaltenders, but if we retain 50%, they'd only be paying $6million+ for Miller & Dubnyk.

What would a Ryan Miller to Edmonton deal consist of?

Well, it depends on how big of a deal you wanted it to be? Just Miller doesn't get you into a conversation about one of their elite forward youngsters. But Miller + Myers does.

I'm thinking something like:

Miller (50% retained)
McNabb
2014 2nd (LA)
for
Rights to Gagner (RFA)
Rights to Paajarvi (RFA)
2015 1st

These aren't necessarily the types of players I'm looking for, but they are assets that can be used in future deals, if necessary.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew94 View Post
I think Edmonton is still a real possibility.

Interestingly, I just stumbled across an article from a few months back which contained this speculation:

Bernier since went to Toronto
Smith since re-signed
Miller is still available

I also think it is, in some ways, a match made in heaven. The Oilers have a lot of pressure on them to actually make the playoffs with this bunch of elite level kids on offense.They are pretty far west. Even though it's not California, it still puts Ryan Miller a lot closer to California than Buffalo does. Additionally, I don't think Ryan Miller would have them on his 'no-trade' list given their potential (as opposed to calgary). Buffalo has the ability to retain salary, a fact that would much help a franchise like Edmonton. They don't likely want to pay $9million+ for goaltenders, but if we retain 50%, they'd only be paying $6million+ for Miller & Dubnyk.

What would a Ryan Miller to Edmonton deal consist of?

Well, it depends on how big of a deal you wanted it to be? Just Miller doesn't get you into a conversation about one of their elite forward youngsters. But Miller + Myers does.

Miller (50% retained)
McNabb
2014 2nd (LA)
for
Rights to Gagner (RFA)
Rights to Paajarvi (RFA)
2015 1st

These aren't necessarily the types of players I'm looking for, but they are assets that can be used in future deals, if necessary.
Take out McNabb and Gagner and I'd do it.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Not a lot of teams pull off the panic move anymore but St Louis is another team you could add to the list if the season starts off poorly for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Even if both Philadelphia and New York sign goaltenders in the coming days, there's always a team or two out there with unknown plans that seemingly come out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Miller go to a team we haven't seen discussed much as a potential destination
I suspect there are two categories:
1) teams that right now don't have proven goaltending (Edmonton, Calgary, Philly, Islanders and Florida)
2) teams willing to stick with their status quo starting the season but ready to make a switch early if things go bad (St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas, Washington and Tampa).

Assuming that the Flyers sign Emery; the Islanders re-sign Nabokov; and Bryzgalov goes to the KHL, that still leaves 3 teams to work with this summer and 5 that could be ready to look at Miller by Thanksgiving if their incumbents are failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Flames gonna go with a grouping of Joey MacDonald, Karri Ramo, Karri Takko,
For all of Feaster's bravado at the draft proclaiming their faith in those 3, I have to think he'd be calling his buddy, Regier, to inquire about Miller. The trouble is that I don't see a lot to pick from in the Flames' organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Gut feeling: Regier is going to move Miller to St. Louis as part of a package including Ennis. Not sure what comes back.
I'm sure Regier will ask for Oshie and/or Berglund.

Quote:
Additionally, I don't think Ryan Miller would have them on his 'no-trade' list given their potential (as opposed to calgary)
The Oilers have missed the playoffs the last 7 years. I find it really hard to believe Miller would accept a trade there. He's not blind - he can see the defense that Edmonton would put in front of him and realize he'd face a ton of shots just like he did in Buffalo.

Quote:

Miller (50% retained)
McNabb
2014 2nd (LA)
for
Rights to Gagner (RFA)
Rights to Paajarvi (RFA)
2015 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Take out McNabb and Gagner and I'd do it.
You read my mind, Rob - I'd simplify the swap the same way.

Last edited by Sabretip: 07-05-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old
07-05-2013, 01:33 AM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Quote:
The Oilers have missed the playoffs the last 7 years. I find it really hard to believe Miller would accept a trade there. He's not blind - he can see the defense that Edmonton would put in front of him and realize he'd face a ton of shots just like he did in Buffalo.
I think it's specifically b/c he's not blind (he seems to be a rather intelligent and analytical person) that he might not list Edmonton as a non-option. Missing 7 years in a row has gotten them a good core of top end talent. They're due.

I think the only obvious choices are Calgary, Florida, and Phoenix. After that, I think almost anything can be debated.

Edmonton could be on the list, but I don't think it's clear cut.

Truth be told, any cerebral player (as Miller, I think, is) can basically dictate where they go simply with an 8 team list of where they won't go. They can do this by noting which teams would have absolutely no interest in trading for him to begin with.

The only teams that could even potentially have interest in Miller as of TODAY are (in my opinion):
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Dallas
Edmonton
Florida
NY Islanders
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
St.Louis
Tampa Bay
Washington

Knowing this, I think Miller would automatically put Calgary & Florida on his list. Also, I think Miller knows that teams like Anaheim, Dallas, and Pittsburgh aren't really in the market for a goalie right now.

That leaves
Colorado
Edmonton
NY Islanders
Philadelphia
St.Louis
Tampa Bay
Washington

So having only used 2 of his 8 up to that point (Calgary & Florida)... Miller could simply dictate who he wants to go to by X-ing out 6 more teams and leaving only the team he wants. Worst case scenario, for him, he doesn't get traded, stays with Buffalo, and becomes a UFA after the season.

In other words, if Ryan Miller decided (for example) that he wanted to play for the Avs. He could essentially dictate that Regier either do a deal with the Avs or not trade Miller at all.

An 8-team exemption is essentially enough to dictate your preference for goalies.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:02 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
The Flames just traded Iginla at the deadline. They are FINALLY admitting to a rebuild after many years of putting it off. They have like 3 or 4 goalies with potential in their system. Not a chance they want Miller. Much like us, why would they want him?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:16 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I could see Miller blocking a trade to Edmonton for a few reasons:

#1. A poor defense will hurt his numbers heading into UFA
#2. Lot's of travel
#3. Another small life in a bubble market like he had in Buffalo

St Louis, Philadelphia, or NYI is my prediction.

Edit: Another not bad idea is:

Getting Halak+ back for Miller, flipping Halak to either NYI or Edmonton

Last edited by TehDoak: 07-05-2013 at 06:21 AM.
TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:26 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I don't think there's a chance in hell Miller accepts a trade to Edmonton. Philadelphia is/was the only feasible option IMO.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
I think the only obvious choices are Calgary, Florida, and Phoenix. After that, I think almost anything can be debated.
The Coyotes just stabilized their situation and locked Smith up long-term - they will not be interested in Miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
The Flames just traded Iginla at the deadline. They are FINALLY admitting to a rebuild after many years of putting it off. They have like 3 or 4 goalies with potential in their system. Not a chance they want Miller. Much like us, why would they want him?
Rebuilding teams (like expansion teams) typically look to a top goalie to keep them competitive while the rest of their roster develops (which Regier may still end up pointing to if he keeps Miller). Feaster may be willing at the moment to give his 3 journeymen/rookies a chance to start the season but I think he'll be real quick to pull the plug if the Flames are sinking after the first month. His strong relationship with Regier makes a swap between the two teams possible IMO.

I also think Colorado and Dallas will give their incumbent goaltending a short leash - and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ruff pushes to get Miller if he's still available and Lehtonen gets off to a slow start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Philadelphia is/was the only feasible option IMO.
I think the recent reports about the Islanders are reasonably accurate - unless they are bringing back Nabokov, they need a proven starter. The question seems to be not how much money Snow will spend but if he can get one without losing his prime prospects.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
sabresandcanucks

If the market isn't there that is something out of Regiers hands...but as a Vancouver fan with plenty of experience watching botched goalie trades, Regier needs to understand he is not going to get what he wants for Miller.

Better to get a 2nd and a prospect than hold out for a 1st only to lose Miller for nothing next summer.

I would eat a couple million of his salary as well to sweeten the deal.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote