HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Playoff losses that ended an era

Old
09-03-2016, 09:07 PM
ChrisK97

vCash: 500
Playoff losses that ended an era

We see it a lot in hockey: Teams at the end of a run of contention for Cups or flirting with a Cup, then they have a loss in the playoffs and before you know it, the window is slammed shut and their era/run is suddenly over.

Like when did Detroit's run as DETROIT the super-duper loaded annual Cup threat end? Was it the '09 Cup Final against Pittsburgh, the 2010-2011 2nd round losses to San Jose, or even 2012 to Nashville (They had the longest single-season home winning streak- 23- and were in 1st place in the West in February, but ended up finishing 5th in the conference and didn't even have home-ice in what ended up being Lidstrom's last hurrah)

Another example of this could be the Flyers: after a long run of serious Cup contention for the franchise going back to 1973, they fell off in the early 90s until the Legion of Doom. Those strong 80s Flyers of Howe/Kerr/Propp made one last Cup run in '89, getting past the emerging Penguins and giving a quality Habs team a run for their money in the Wales Finals- but were a non-factor for the next few years after a decade and half as an upper-echelon squad)

ChrisK97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2016, 09:13 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Montreal's Lafleur dynasty ended on a third period goal by Al Macadam with 90 seconds left in the quarterfinals, 1980

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2016, 09:39 PM
GMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK97 View Post
We see it a lot in hockey: Teams at the end of a run of contention for Cups or flirting with a Cup, then they have a loss in the playoffs and before you know it, the window is slammed shut and their era/run is suddenly over.

Like when did Detroit's run as DETROIT the super-duper loaded annual Cup threat end? Was it the '09 Cup Final against Pittsburgh, the 2010-2011 2nd round losses to San Jose, or even 2012 to Nashville (They had the longest single-season home winning streak- 23- and were in 1st place in the West in February, but ended up finishing 5th in the conference and didn't even have home-ice in what ended up being Lidstrom's last hurrah)

Another example of this could be the Flyers: after a long run of serious Cup contention for the franchise going back to 1973, they fell off in the early 90s until the Legion of Doom. Those strong 80s Flyers of Howe/Kerr/Propp made one last Cup run in '89, getting past the emerging Penguins and giving a quality Habs team a run for their money in the Wales Finals- but were a non-factor for the next few years after a decade and half as an upper-echelon squad)
People thought Detroit's dynasty had ended in 2004 or 2006. If we're just talking Lidstrom's dynasty, I'd say 2010 or 2011, but by that point, the team had too many weaknesses already to be a Cup contender.

The first thing I thought of with this thread was the Islanders losing the 1984 Finals. They didn't make the Conference Finals again after that (at least not with that group of players)

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2016, 10:21 PM
The Panther

May 10th, 1991, Edmonton loses 3-2 (in Edmonton) to Minnesota, ending their season after five games of the third round, and also ending their defence of the 1990 Stanley Cup.

By the start of the next season, the following players were gone:
-- Mark Messier
-- Adam Graves
-- Steve Smith
-- Glenn Anderson
-- Jari Kurri (rights traded)
-- Grant Fuhr
-- Charlie Huddy

As if that weren't enough, they lost head coach John Muckler as well, after he'd been there for 10 years and been co- or head-coach for 5.

To put that into perspective, the Oilers, in one summer, lost five Hall of Famers, two future All-Stars (one would have his number retired by his team), and their head coach.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2016, 10:44 PM
ChrisK97

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
May 10th, 1991, Edmonton loses 3-2 (in Edmonton) to Minnesota, ending their season after five games of the third round, and also ending their defence of the 1990 Stanley Cup.

-- Mark Messier
-- Adam Graves
-- Steve Smith
-- Glenn Anderson
-- Grant Fuhr
-- Charlie Huddy

As if that weren't enough, they lost head coach John Muckler as well, after he'd been there for 10 years and been co- or head-coach for 5.

To put that into perspective, the Oilers, in one summer, lost five Hall of Famers, two future All-Stars (one would have his number retired by his team), and their head coach.
Part of me thinks their era ended a year later with the Chicago conference finals sweep.

They had enough left in the tank in the spring of '92 to squeeze past a pair of Smythe teams that would represent their conference in the next 2 Cup Finals (LA/VAN) for their last hurrah.

Old
09-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Evincar
I have found the way

The Blues blowing a 3-1 lead to the Canucks in 2003 ended the Quenneville/MacInnis/Pronger era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
People thought Detroit's dynasty had ended in 2004 or 2006. If we're just talking Lidstrom's dynasty, I'd say 2010 or 2011, but by that point, the team had too many weaknesses already to be a Cup contender.

The first thing I thought of with this thread was the Islanders losing the 1984 Finals. They didn't make the Conference Finals again after that (at least not with that group of players)
Yeah I think it ended with the Game 7 loss to San Jose in 2011. If they won that game I think they had a good chance of beating Vancouver.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 12:05 AM
MarkStone
Frankie Fryer

You could either interpret the 2002 game 7 shellacking against Detroit, or the 2003 loss to Minnesota as the end of the Roy era in Colorado. 2003 obviously fits linearly but 2002 could be seen as the spiritual end.

MarkStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 03:01 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evincar View Post
The Blues blowing a 3-1 lead to the Canucks in 2003 ended the Quenneville/MacInnis/Pronger era.
Man, looking back they had a pretty strong team that year but ran into a lot of bad luck. Pronger was out for most of the regular season, then MacInnis gets injured for the majority of the first round and half the team catches the flu and blew a 3-1 series lead as a result. Had the circumstances been different, who knows how far the Blues go that year. That was a pretty deep team with Demitra having a career year, the sudden emergence of Cory Stillman as a top line player, and a Norris-worthy season from MacInnis. But who knows, maybe the subpar goaltending would have blown it against a team like Anaheim. One can only wonder what if.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 03:33 AM
ChrisK97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Pucks View Post
Man, looking back they had a pretty strong team that year but ran into a lot of bad luck. Pronger was out for most of the regular season, then MacInnis gets injured for the majority of the first round and half the team catches the flu and blew a 3-1 series lead as a result. Had the circumstances been different, who knows how far the Blues go that year. That was a pretty deep team with Demitra having a career year, the sudden emergence of Cory Stillman as a top line player, and a Norris-worthy season from MacInnis. But who knows, maybe the subpar goaltending would have blown it against a team like Anaheim. One can only wonder what if.
Had they gotten by Vancouver, the Blues would have played Minnesota in round two and Osgood if anything is an upgrade compared to what we saw from Cloutier against those Wild. (OTOH, if Vancouver doesn't blow the division lead down the stretch, they face Colorado in round one, and maybe half the team doesn't catch the flu, maybe we get a Blues/Ducks West Finals?)

Old
09-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Seanaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post

-- Mark Messier
-- Adam Graves
-- Steve Smith
-- Glenn Anderson
-- Grant Fuhr
-- Charlie Huddy

Messier Fuhr Anderson Kurri who is the 5th hall of famer

Seanaconda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 09:59 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

The Avs in 2003, was a poor way for Roy to go out, in a series loss to a much weaker Minnesota team.

09-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Had they gotten by Vancouver, the Blues would have played Minnesota in round two and Osgood if anything is an upgrade compared to what we saw from Cloutier against those Wild. (OTOH, if Vancouver doesn't blow the division lead down the stretch, they face Colorado in round one, and maybe half the team doesn't catch the flu, maybe we get a Blues/Ducks West Finals?)
A healthy Pronger for the entire season could probably have vaulted them to first overall in the West too.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Mad Brills*

Leafs against the Flyers in 2004.

They loaded up with Leetch at the deadline.

Beat ottawa in a great series, and then lost in 6 vs Philly.

Lockout happened and then JFJ wanted to start a rebuild (with that old roster), but peddie wouldn't let him, so the bad times until basically shanny was hired (save 48 games in 2013) started.

Mad Brills* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Boston in 74, Philly in 76...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

When Pittsburgh got locked out in the 2001 Eastern Conference Final by New Jersey, that was it for those top-heavy, Lemieux/Jagr tag team duos really. After that, the stars and semi-stars were sold off for a bunch of cheap assets that amounted to nearly nothing. By 2003 and 2004, the roster was unrecognizable and nearly every player from '04 team, if memory serves, wouldn't be in the league just three years later except maybe young Ryan Malone, Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi. I guess Fleury too.

Even though 66 would technically give it another go, that was really it for the Best of Lemieux/Jagr Album, so to speak...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Big Phil

Dallas losing to St. Louis in 2001. They missed the playoffs the next year and Hitchcock was fired. It was a very different team after that. Hull left for Detroit after 2001 as well.

Ottawa losing to the Pens in 2008. This was a team that started out 16-3-3 that year. This was believe it or not the best start in NHL history. They had just come off a Cup final loss and things were looking good for them. But they faltered and got dominated by Pittsburgh in the first round. It was over for the days of Ottawa being the decade long contender that they were.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Leafs have had many disappointments over the years of course, 1977/1978 one of those seminal "end of an era" and an end to what was some promise. Beginning of the end of the Sittler era, Ballard going full-on Moon Shine Crazy then & for years thereafter.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 01:33 PM
ICM1970

I can remember about 2002 watching Patrick Roy getting hammered by Detroit in the conference finals and getting the feeling that this was about the end of the period that saw the Avalanche win those two cups with ones like Roy (he was done at the end of the next season) and Sakic and others. Colorado does not seem to have done much since if my memory serves me properly.

ICM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 01:44 PM
feffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
By 2003 and 2004, the roster was unrecognizable and nearly every player from '04 team, if memory serves, wouldn't be in the league just three years later except maybe young Ryan Malone, Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi. I guess Fleury too. .
Their leading scorer in 03/04 in Tärnström actually returned the the NHL for the 07/08 season, after an year in Lugano. But I think everyone else, outside those you mentioned, where out of the leauge by the start of that season. For some reason I tought both Scuderi and Orpik debuted after the 04/05 lockout, but you are right. They´ve been in the leauge a for en impressive loooong time keeping in my mind what kind of players they are. Always been impressed by the guys that really mostly are low 2nd-3rd pair or 3rd-4th-liners that just play their limited role and just continue to have a place in the leauge. And suddenly you have an Scuderi, Orpik or Albeling that is approaching 1000GP and their names upon the Cup. Love it.

On a sidenote when talking about those players being out of the leauge, why didn´t Surový find a place with the Penguins back then? Never an future all star, but to me always seemed to have the talent to be an low class 2nd liner?

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 02:09 PM
HisIceness
Sad Canes fan

vCash: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStone View Post
You could either interpret the 2002 game 7 shellacking against Detroit, or the 2003 loss to Minnesota as the end of the Roy era in Colorado. 2003 obviously fits linearly but 2002 could be seen as the spiritual end.
Good points w/ regards to Roy but with those Avalanche teams in general I was thinking 2003-04 myself. They signed Kariya and Selanne that off-season in an attempt for at least one more legit run to the Cup. They did manage to secure 100 standings points but couldn't win the division and ultimately lost to San Jose in round 2.

I know they made the playoffs the next season (05-06) and beat 2nd seed Dallas in round 1, but by that point some of their key guys like Forsberg and Foote were signed to other teams. While 2002 and 2003 may have signaled the beginning of the end, 03-04 was that last attempt at winning the Cup before the inevitable rebuild.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Jasonthegreat

Quote:

For the Red Wings, I think their run as a serious cup contender did end with the 2009 SCF loss to Pittsburgh. Since then, they haven't made it past the second round.

Also, even though they didn't win a cup, I think Vancouver's recent run ended with the surprise upset in 2012 to the Los Angeles Kings, who went on to win the Stanley Cup that year. After coming so close to winning the cup in 2011, they haven't won a playoff series since.

Jasonthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Mad Brills*

Quote:
Also, even though they didn't win a cup, I think Vancouver's recent run ended with the surprise upset in 2012 to the Los Angeles Kings, who went on to win the Stanley Cup that year. After coming so close to winning the cup in 2011, they haven't won a playoff series since.
Them getting swept vs the sharks in 2013 as a lower seed ended that era. Schneider was traded a month later, and then luongo 9 months after that.

Mad Brills* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Ace36758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
When Pittsburgh got locked out in the 2001 Eastern Conference Final by New Jersey, that was it for those top-heavy, Lemieux/Jagr tag team duos really. After that, the stars and semi-stars were sold off for a bunch of cheap assets that amounted to nearly nothing. By 2003 and 2004, the roster was unrecognizable and nearly every player from '04 team, if memory serves, wouldn't be in the league just three years later except maybe young Ryan Malone, Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi. I guess Fleury too.

Even though 66 would technically give it another go, that was really it for the Best of Lemieux/Jagr Album, so to speak...
Interesting mention. I will throw the Pens/Flyers 1997 series into the discussion-Lemieux's last game pre-comeback, the Penguins getting dominated by the Flyers after having a cup-contending team for most of the 90s, and the beginning of the dead puck era.

Penguins made a surprise deep run with Lemieux's comeback in 2001, but did anyone see them getting past the devils that year? They didn't really contend again until 2008.

Ace36758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by feffan View Post
Their leading scorer in 03/04 in Tärnström actually returned the the NHL for the 07/08 season, after an year in Lugano. But I think everyone else, outside those you mentioned, where out of the leauge by the start of that season. For some reason I tought both Scuderi and Orpik debuted after the 04/05 lockout, but you are right. They´ve been in the leauge a for en impressive loooong time keeping in my mind what kind of players they are. Always been impressed by the guys that really mostly are low 2nd-3rd pair or 3rd-4th-liners that just play their limited role and just continue to have a place in the leauge. And suddenly you have an Scuderi, Orpik or Albeling that is approaching 1000GP and their names upon the Cup. Love it.

On a sidenote when talking about those players being out of the leauge, why didn´t Surový find a place with the Penguins back then? Never an future all star, but to me always seemed to have the talent to be an low class 2nd liner?
I'm not sure Surovy had second line upside, but he definitely could have played in the league if he so chose...I feel the same about Milan Kraft, actually even more so...Surovy needed to carve out a better niche I felt, he was just a little too much "in between" on styles...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2016, 11:29 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
When Pittsburgh lost in 1993 what appeared to be a dynasty in the making never won again.It was also the last time a back-to-back defending champion was eliminated, as no team won back-to-back since.And while Pittsburgh had a lot of offensive power in following years (especially 1996 where both Lemieux and Jagr accumulated insane point totals), I'm not sure they were ever the favorites again.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 09-04-2016 at 11:34 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote