HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pietrangelo's contract: what would you give him?

Old
06-29-2013, 07:15 PM
BBSuns

vCash: 500
Pietrangelo's contract: what would you give him?

http://thehockeywriters.com/pietrang...-you-give-him/

Per Andy Strickland, Petro wont consider anything that starts with a 6 in front of it. I had him pegged at 6-6.5 before looking at the cap comparables...any thoughts?

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:36 PM
HooliganX2

IMO he doesn't deserve anything in the 7's. The only way I give him in the 7's is if it's matching an offer sheet. I think 6.5 is about right even though I would prefer 6.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:38 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
IMO he doesn't deserve anything in the 7's. The only way I give him in the 7's is if it's matching an offer sheet. I think 6.5 is about right even though I would prefer 6.
Like I said in the post, my initial thought even before the Shattenkirk deal was 6mill flat..then after the Shatts deal I really stood firm with my prediction...stats indicate he deserves more than 6 but 7 is a lot of invest in a 23 year old unless they're absolutely certain hes the face of the franchise for years to come..I certainly think he has that potential though

Old
06-29-2013, 08:07 PM
BlueBeard

Barring offersheet, which I'm not really concerned about, I'd say his cap hit ends up being around 6.5-6.8. We may be well into August before we see that happen though.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:27 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I'm not sure, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Army better not get caught asleep at the wheel.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:30 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm not sure, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Army better not get caught asleep at the wheel.
I wouldnt be worried about a deal getting done. Biggest issue is working out a AAV that works for both sides. Petro will be a Blue even if another team gives him an offer sheet

Old
06-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Anything he wants under 8.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:43 PM
mk80

If we need to I'd be ok with letting Leopold go to free up some space for him. I don't think we need Leopold as we have a solid defense with

Shattenkirk, Polak, Jackman, Bouwmester, Cole, Russell, and Pietroangelo

If I'm reading cap geek right Bouwmester is our highest paid player this year getting just under $6.7m, the next highest is Backes at 4.5m so I think we have a little room with Pietroangelo

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
If we need to I'd be ok with letting Leopold go to free up some space for him. I don't think we need Leopold as we have a solid defense with

Shattenkirk, Polak, Jackman, Bouwmester, Cole, Russell, and Pietroangelo

If I'm reading cap geek right Bouwmester is our highest paid player this year getting just under $6.7m, the next highest is Backes at 4.5m so I think we have a little room with Pietroangelo
You are correct and you can expect Stewart to get about 5mill

Old
06-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Kasparov

i just...idk about that. he's a great player, but we haven't won a cup and he hasn't won a Norris (yet). i understand from a players perspective that there is a life after the NHL and you really need to have financial security, but...ugh. idk. i was afraid this would happen. I didn't think it would, but i was afraid of it.

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:17 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSuns View Post
You are correct and you can expect Stewart to get about 5mill
Hopefully from a different team at that price.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:26 PM
BlueDream

Doesn't quite deserve 7 yet.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:24 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 0
I think they'll probably negotiate down from there, or go with a shorter term, but I could live with a 7M salary for Pietro. Its kind of what I expected he'd get.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:01 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 200
I'd do 7 if it's max term.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:08 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Petro doesn't deserve 7 Million- yet. Petro regressed last year after being in the running for the Norris Trophy in 2011-2012. Petro's play improved after the Blues went out and got Jaybo from Calgary

Remember last year Montreal's P.K. Subban fiasco? The Fans were up in arms and wanted Subban traded, then Subban was a holdout ever after the lockout ended, missed 5 games before surprise! Signing a "prove it" 2 year contract for only $2,875,000. And Subban responded with winning the NHL's Norris Trophy as the NHL's best Defenseman in 2013.

Do you think a hardball stance on Petro for a let's say a 2 year "prove it" contract is all the Blues have proposed so far?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:24 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Petro doesn't deserve 7 Million- yet. Petro regressed last year after being in the running for the Norris Trophy in 2011-2012. Petro's play improved after the Blues went out and got Jaybo from Calgary

Remember last year Montreal's P.K. Subban fiasco? The Fans were up in arms and wanted Subban traded, then Subban was a holdout ever after the lockout ended, missed 5 games before surprise! Signing a "prove it" 2 year contract for only $2,875,000. And Subban responded with winning the NHL's Norris Trophy as the NHL's best Defenseman in 2013.

Do you think a hardball stance on Petro for a let's say a 2 year "prove it" contract is all the Blues have proposed so far?
That isn't true. Pietrangelo's play had significantly improved before Bouwmeester was acquired. His slow start in the first 10-15 games is being exaggerated pretty heavily, his play with Jax was at basically the same standard as last season.

The Subban fiasco isn't something to point to either. The Canadiens should have signed him long term at the ~$5.5m he wanted, and they could have signed him for whatever term they wanted. Congratulations, they have 2 years where they save about $2.7m. It is going to cost them another $1.5m a season for every year after that. The money isn't an issue for Montreal, but the cap hit sure is in those later years. In Montreal's defense, giving Subban a long term deal in the $5's last summer would have been a significantly bigger risk than us giving Pietrangelo a long term deal at $6m last summer.

There is no chance in the world that Pietrangelo signs a "prove it" contract. He will get multiple offersheets this summer, if it gets to that point, those will be used to negotiate the deal he wants.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:14 AM
bewbies

Offer him 8/56 and be done with it. You don't want to deal with the offer sheets, we have the cap room, and there's no point in waiting over the matter of 500k. He's absolutely worth 7m a year.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:23 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
First of all everything is negotiable, so with AP's agent asking for the max isn't surprising, but this is disappointing because this could be AP's feelings or that he's being influenced easily by his agent.

6 million a year and sacrifice should never be used in the same sentence when you're talking about a 23 to 28 year old hockey player. Ultimately he'll get what he's worth for 5 to 6 years or they'll settle on a short term deal. Let's just hope he's a mature young man that doesn't take the business side too personally.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:45 AM
intangible

If you don't think he deserves $7m yet, that's fine, but we're talking about a young guy, our best defenseman, and in my opinion our best player. Let's finally show the NHL that we support our top players instead of continually giving our struggling players $5m just so they'll stay. Give him $7m at a max term contract.. it'll be well worth it.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Letang just got 8 years @ $7.25m. I think we have our new marker...

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Letang just got 8 years @ $7.25m. I think we have our new marker...
Much rather have Petro.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Im worried that given Armstrong's negotiation history, 8 years is almost out of the question.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:58 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Much rather have Petro.
QFT. His agent did a hell of a job.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:29 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
QFT. His agent did a hell of a job.
I agree I'm not really sold on Letang much at all. I think his offensive numbers are inflated and defensively he's average at best.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:07 PM
SIU LAW

At first I was pretty put off at the idea of the Blues paying out seven million per year. However, the more I think about, the more pragmatic about it I become.

While I am hoping that the Blues can negotiate something lower than seven million per year average, the Blues may have to accept that figure is the market rate/reality they face. With Drew Doughty netting the contract he did, the market has pretty much been set. Hopefully, any seven million per year deal will be the maximum of eight years.

Even if the Blues could negotiate a lower “prove it” contract for 1 or 2 years, the cap will likely rise and the Blues may find themselves having to pay even more than seven million per year due to raising salaries. Said another way, the Blues may end up having to pay those savings out sooner or later.

Factor in potential offer sheets, reaching a 8 year / 56 may be the most prudent and safest option, if the team truly believes that Petro will only get better with experience.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote