HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pietrangelo's contract: what would you give him?

Old
07-01-2013, 02:45 PM
BadgersandBlues

vCash: 500
There's no way that Philly can offer AP 8 million dollars. Yes, they have some cap relief coming from Pronger's upcoming LTIR, but they have Steve Mason as the only goalie on their roster. Even a crappy backup is going to cost 1.5 more, which leaves them with 6.5-7.5 in cap space.....and can you actually imagine they go into the season with Steve Mason as their starting goalie?

Next year they have to re-sign Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier....perhaps even Timmonen if Pronger is pretty much good and done.......and most early reports are claiming the cap will not be going up.

Anything could happen, there is no doubt. I don't see Philly being -that- stupid though.....I think that Streit was their big pickup for D.....if anything I could see them looking for a solid #2 Center like Lecavalier or Ribeiro to help push Schenn down to the #3 spot.

I hope it doesn't come to all of that, but other then Backes, has any of our players signed an offer sheet in the last 8 years?

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Let's be clear: Alex Pietrangelo is a #1 defenseman. He has proven that in his career far more than he hasn't.

I realize he had a rough time at different points last year. However, Petro was 4th in the Norris voting the year before and might have beat out Skinner for the Calder in his rookie year if not for the messed up eligibility requirements.

Once we acquired Jay Bouwmeester and gave Petro a steady partner, he was a reliable #1 d-man again. In the playoffs he was very good, as was most of the defense outside of Game 4.

Now is he worth 7 million? Heck no. He isn't worth more than Erik Karlsson.
Is he worth 6 million? Yes, he most certainly is.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
shifting

I agree 6 million is a fair number. I said that on the FA board here and was told I was crazy by Blues fans

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:13 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
The Flyers can offer an offer sheet in the range that STL would automatically match. Its really not a big risk, although it could result in the Blues paying him a million more per year than they otherwise would (possibly a tad more).

The downside for the Flyers is pretty minimal. As much as people point to the Weber situation last year, its not like there is some penalty for the Flyers for trying, other than how other GMs interact with them.

But remember, they had tried to work a trade for Weber. I think if a GM were likely to offersheet Pietro, they'll try to work a trade first. If this is the same Flyers team that's on the market for a goalie, they probably shouldn't piss off Armstrong if Halak is one of their candidates.

Bottom line, I think an offersheet may be unlikely, but even if it happens I don't fear one. The Blues will match and we'll move on.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
I agree 6 million is a fair number. I said that on the FA board here and was told I was crazy by Blues fans
You're not crazy. Anyone suggesting he isn't worth 6 million is basing that off less than 10% of his career when he played with Ian Cole.

I would love to hear what those people think of Bobrovsky's recent extension and whether he is worth it or not.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:03 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
You're not crazy. Anyone suggesting he isn't worth 6 million is basing that off less than 10% of his career when he played with Ian Cole.

I would love to hear what those people think of Bobrovsky's recent extension and whether he is worth it or not.
Pietrangelo is clearly worth 6MM a year. What could be debated is if he's worth 6.5-7MM per year. If they wanted to get a deal done right away (which they dont have to there is still plenty of time to negotiate), they would have offered him 7MM per season. There's clearly wiggle room in all negotiations, but when all is said and done, id be shocked if he signed for less than 6.5MM per season.

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post

They said I was low

Old
07-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
They said I was low
Haha oh.

I have always thought that Pietrangelo should fall in line right around Erik Karlsson.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:22 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

Just going off current history I would say The Blues have offered 5.85 to 6 million a year and that's why we're hearing 7 million being leaked, if The Blues get him just under 6.5 million they'll considered it a success.

But I hope I'm wrong and they're able to sign for as little a possible, because its what's best for the franchise.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:06 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
Quote:
What was crazy was saying you would rather trade him than give him that extra million.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:22 PM
shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
What was crazy was saying you would rather trade him than give him that extra million.
I am of the belief that at a certain point you have to draw a line in the sand. If he was demanding 7 million and no less, then yes I would trade him. Sorry if you feel that is crazy.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:32 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I am of the belief that at a certain point you have to draw a line in the sand. If he was demanding 7 million and no less, then yes I would trade him. Sorry if you feel that is crazy.
Add me for one more that thinks that would be crazy. Or better said, I think it would be unwise and not in the best interests of the franchise.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
I'd do 7, but I think he's worth 6.5. His numbers and how he's regarded against his peers (according to the NHL) says he should be from 6-6.25...And that'd be a steal, what we'd expect Army to shoot for.

They should meet in the middle right around 6.5 at full term.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Fact of the matter is looking at the contract purely from this moment in time doesn't work, especially on a long term deal.

Is Petro going to be worth more than $7M in a year. doubtful. Will he be worth over $7M in three or four years? I would be willing to bet...yes.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:41 AM
bewbies

Quote:
You'd trade one of maybe a half dozen true #1 defensemen in the world because he asked for his market value? Yikes.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Edgar

So, as per compensation rules, anything over 8.41 AAV would result in 4 1sts. It is also the case that the total amount of the contract can only be divided by an amount of years of 5 or less. What this means is that if Petro were offered 7.2 over 6 years, even though that it obviously less than 8.4 AAV, it would be considered 7.2*6/5=8.64 and we would receive 4 1sts. Here's a table:

5 years- (8.4 per)
6 years- (7.0 per)
7 years- (6.0 per)
8 years- (5.3 per)

Any average per year above these numbers would result in us landing 4 1sts. Obviously, we would accept 5.3 per year over the 4 1sts, as is the case with 6.0 and possibly 7.0. At which numbers would you guys be tempted to take the 4 1st rather than Petro?

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
So, as per compensation rules, anything over 8.41 AAV would result in 4 1sts. It is also the case that the total amount of the contract can only be divided by an amount of years of 5 or less. What this means is that if Petro were offered 7.2 over 6 years, even though that it obviously less than 8.4 AAV, it would be considered 7.2*6/5=8.64 and we would receive 4 1sts. Here's a table:

5 years- (8.4 per)
6 years- (7.0 per)
7 years- (6.0 per)
8 years- (5.3 per)

Any average per year above these numbers would result in us landing 4 1sts. Obviously, we would accept 5.3 per year over the 4 1sts, as is the case with 6.0 and possibly 7.0. At which numbers would you guys be tempted to take the 4 1st rather than Petro?
The answer should be none. This team NEEDS to win now, not 4 years from now which is what would happen if they let him walk via offer sheet. Any offer sheet that he tries to sign must be matched.

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

In the end depends on the team, but about 99% of the time, we'll match.

I don't see anyone offersheeting something ridiculous though.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Edgar

An 8.7 over 5 or 8 years or whatever, would you match?

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:43 PM
bewbies

If someone comes with a $9m+ offer then you take the picks. That'd be a nuclear solution though, the Blues get screwed out of their best player (and the 4x picks almost certainly wouldn't compensate), and the other team has an unmanageable cap number for the next several years.

I guess Petro would come out ok though.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
An 8.7 over 5 or 8 years or whatever, would you match?
I don't see any team making that offer, but if a team that can provide you a top 5 or 2 and a couple top 10s, then it would be worth it. Look at the Kessel situation with Boston. Imagine if Buffalo didn't match that offer.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I think we end up getting him under 7 now for sure. Not sure there will even be an offersheet made to him at this point.