HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

San Antonio suspends operations

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
  #1
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
San Antonio suspends operations

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...06_133116_3892 in the last paragraph. Looks like the AHL will be looking quite different next season with Utah, St. Johns, Cincinnati, Edmonton and San Antonio out and Iowa, Toronto, Omaha and Peoria in.

ForsbergForever is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 06:57 PM
  #2
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...06_133116_3892 in the last paragraph. Looks like the AHL will be looking quite different next season with Utah, St. Johns, Cincinnati, Edmonton and San Antonio out and Iowa, Toronto, Omaha and Peoria in.
Forgot Worchester out.

Clash* is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:23 PM
  #3
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Worcester is effectively moving to Peoria.

Tekneek is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:42 PM
  #4
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Worcester is effectively moving to Peoria.
True, but when lookin at a map of franchises, they're still out. There'll be no road trips to the city and they won't be visiting anyone.

Clash* is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
  #5
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,594
vCash: 500
Geez...what is going on?

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:53 PM
  #6
Resolute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Cost concerns would be my guess.

Toronto moved the Baby Leafs because of costs.

Edmonton very likely killed the RR's because of costs and lack of profitability vs the NHL.

Anaheim and Florida are both teams that can be expected to suffer large initial losses at the gate when the NHL comes back, and I believe they both owned and operated their AHL teams. Though maybe not Florida, I'm not sure.

Resolute is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
  #7
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,220
vCash: 500
The AHL is falling apart

Hedberg is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 08:06 PM
  #8
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Anaheim did not own the Cincinnati team. Cincinnati wanted to compete next season but could not get anyone to affiliate with them. AHL rules require an NHL affiliation, and since they could not get one they had to go inactive.

Florida had some level of control over San Antonio, which may have been a substanial percentage of ownership. I don't know the details, but they have seemed rather unhappy with that team.

The AHL might have more teams if they did not require an NHL affiliation.

Tekneek is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 08:09 PM
  #9
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
The AHL is falling apart
No it isn't.

clefty is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 08:25 PM
  #10
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Anaheim did not own the Cincinnati team. Cincinnati wanted to compete next season but could not get anyone to affiliate with them. AHL rules require an NHL affiliation, and since they could not get one they had to go inactive.

Florida had some level of control over San Antonio, which may have been a substanial percentage of ownership. I don't know the details, but they have seemed rather unhappy with that team.

The AHL might have more teams if they did not require an NHL affiliation.
Florida owns fifty percent of the Rampage and wanted to move the team closer to S. Fla by goin to Orlando. San Antonio's airport supposedly sucked to get in and out of. Supposed to be way too small for a city its size.

Clash* is offline  
Old
06-06-2005, 08:26 PM
  #11
Resolute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Anaheim did not own the Cincinnati team. Cincinnati wanted to compete next season but could not get anyone to affiliate with them. AHL rules require an NHL affiliation, and since they could not get one they had to go inactive.

Florida had some level of control over San Antonio, which may have been a substanial percentage of ownership. I don't know the details, but they have seemed rather unhappy with that team.

The AHL might have more teams if they did not require an NHL affiliation.
I would have figured it would be the other way around. Probably mostly because I just cannot fathom anybody not controlled by Disney actually willingly calling their team the Mighty Ducks as Cincinatti was.

Resolute is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 10:25 AM
  #12
Blackhawk
Registered User
 
Blackhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
The AHL is falling apart
I wouldn't go that far... It's definitely going through some changes, but isn't all of hockey? The NHL problem can't be helping affiliations. If they can't straighten their act out before next season, how can they give any financial support to the minors?? Or do they not now? The AHL is going to shrink in size... Probably returning more to it's orginal roots in the northeast whcih i'm sure makes many happy.

Being an Aeros fan, well... I've been expecting a meltdown of the club here for awhile. Right now they have no stadium deal for next season. The contract ran out at the end of this season... Who knows?? Anyway, if the Aeros go belly up... and SA goes out, well... I guess I'm basically out of luck when it comes to the AHL in the area and that will be it for me. It's to the CHL and ECHL.... So goes things, not much one can do about it....

Blackhawk is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 11:27 AM
  #13
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!
 
Flukeshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Milton, Ont
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 187
The AHL and minor league hockey, (or perhaps all of hockey franchises) go through geographical popularity cycles. Different places become hotbeds for awhile and then go cold. Someone will move a franchise to a less traditional spot and if it does well, other franchises will follow to the area. Then as soon as one or two begin to fail or be moved for another reason, the others lose their strength.

It's like the Canadian east coast of the 80's in the AHL, the Carolinas and surrounding states/general southern movements in the mid-90's and now we are going through the mid-western fad.

A lot of new markets are tried and fail before good ones last. Or other conditions force teams out before they have a chance to fail or succeed. It's all sports business.

Flukeshot is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 02:07 PM
  #14
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
I would have figured it would be the other way around. Probably mostly because I just cannot fathom anybody not controlled by Disney actually willingly calling their team the Mighty Ducks as Cincinatti was.
Resolute, the Anaheim Ducks are now no longer owned by Disney but by private owners in the Samueli family.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 02:56 PM
  #15
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
There is no truth to the rumor that the Rampage have suspended operations whoever has started that rumor has no clue what they are basing their claims on.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 03:03 PM
  #16
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Resolute, the Anaheim Ducks are now no longer owned by Disney but by private owners in the Samueli family.
Incorrect. That sale has not been finalized or approved by the NHL board of govenors.

Clash* is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
  #17
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
There is no truth to the rumor that the Rampage have suspended operations whoever has started that rumor has no clue what they are basing their claims on.
So a news agency has no clue what's goin on, because you say so?

Clash* is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 03:06 PM
  #18
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
There is no truth to the rumor that the Rampage have suspended operations whoever has started that rumor has no clue what they are basing their claims on.
So, you are saying that the article referenced above that says

"The San Antonio Rampage also suspended operations, leaving the Florida Panthers without an AHL partner. However, the Panthers are believed to be in discussion with the Toronto Marlies and Chicago Wolves for a shared arrangement as well."

is a lie?

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 04:03 PM
  #19
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
So, you are saying that the article referenced above that says

"The San Antonio Rampage also suspended operations, leaving the Florida Panthers without an AHL partner. However, the Panthers are believed to be in discussion with the Toronto Marlies and Chicago Wolves for a shared arrangement as well."

is a lie?

Absolutely yes because SA has not suspended you want to call them and ask?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 04:06 PM
  #20
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Absolutely yes because SA has not suspended you want to call them and ask?
Did you?

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 06:28 PM
  #21
Resolute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Resolute, the Anaheim Ducks are now no longer owned by Disney but by private owners in the Samueli family.
I am aware of that. The team, however, was named by Disney when they owned it. I simply made the assumption that the Cincinatti franchise was named for the same reason: Disney had a stake in the team. Apparently incorrect.

Resolute is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 06:31 PM
  #22
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
So a news agency has no clue what's goin on, because you say so?
The only franchise applying for suspension is Edmonton on the 16th, nothing about SA, SO whoever is sending out that report is false cause several sources have called the franchise and asked directly whether the Sportsnet rumor is true, which obviously is not much less the adage don't believe everything you read online unless you see it on their website.

We don't need to start rumors on here nor has their been any statement from the Rampage on their website that they have applied for a suspension like Cincinnati, Utah and Edmonton have done.

Rampage e-news is still up as is sarampage.com, so how did Sportsnet hear about SA suspending ops if they haven't informed fans of such an announcement?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 07:03 PM
  #23
MagsFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central FL
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MagsFL Send a message via MSN to MagsFL
The fans are always the last to know. I can tell you that the Solar Bears were taking season ticket holder money up til the minute the annoucement came that the IHL was folding and the team was gone.

There's talk also that the Rampage reps were at the CHL meetings. The CHL meetings were held in Scottsdale AZ.

MagsFL is offline  
Old
06-07-2005, 09:14 PM
  #24
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
The only franchise applying for suspension is Edmonton on the 16th, nothing about SA, SO whoever is sending out that report is false cause several sources have called the franchise and asked directly whether the Sportsnet rumor is true, which obviously is not much less the adage don't believe everything you read online unless you see it on their website.

We don't need to start rumors on here nor has their been any statement from the Rampage on their website that they have applied for a suspension like Cincinnati, Utah and Edmonton have done.

Rampage e-news is still up as is sarampage.com, so how did Sportsnet hear about SA suspending ops if they haven't informed fans of such an announcement?
Who are these reported sources? Is there a link to any reputable news agancy that states anything to the contrary? And why is that the Rampage management will not address what league they will play in next season, when its their season ticket holders who are askin the question, and the only response they'll get is there will be hockey, thus forcin the question to be asked again. Show something to the contrary, as these supposed sources have inquired. Prove they're stayin. Show concrete evidence that the Rampage will be playin in the AHL next season, as that was believed before Utah surprised everyone, and then Edmonton pulled the same, with applications for suspensions with no notice.

Clash* is offline  
Old
06-08-2005, 07:39 AM
  #25
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
The only franchise applying for suspension is Edmonton on the 16th, nothing about SA, SO whoever is sending out that report is false cause several sources have called the franchise and asked directly whether the Sportsnet rumor is true, which obviously is not much less the adage don't believe everything you read online unless you see it on their website.

We don't need to start rumors on here nor has their been any statement from the Rampage on their website that they have applied for a suspension like Cincinnati, Utah and Edmonton have done.

Rampage e-news is still up as is sarampage.com, so how did Sportsnet hear about SA suspending ops if they haven't informed fans of such an announcement?
I'll ask again, did you call the Rampage to confirm or deny the article?

pelts35.com is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.