HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meeting with Lecavalier

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM
  #76
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Well the rumor floating around was JG, Backlund and a 2nd.

I added Horak as depth, and Stempniak to replace Hortons minutes. The deal works for Boston, they shave 3million off the books, gets an A and C prospect and our 2nd.
Rumor from where?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
  #77
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Rumor from where?
hockeybuzz...probably worthless, but meh, it's offseason

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?po...user_id=127057

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
  #78
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
hockeybuzz...probably worthless, but meh, it's offseason

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?po...user_id=127057
Yea I'm not going to hold my breath about a hockey buzz rumor

If that was the deal I would have taken and run.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
  #79
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Yea I'm not going to hold my breath about a hockey buzz rumor

If that was the deal I would have taken and run.
unless the Bruins are extremely high on Gaudreau, I really cannot see this. We get a guy with 1C potential for an NHL longshot, an aspiring 2C, and a 2nd.

Doubtful...Although the more I look at it, it really isn't that bad value wise. Just that Boston gives up the best player, and he projects very high. I imagine they could get better offers.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:35 PM
  #80
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,610
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
He's actually a very useful 4th line center. He grinds hard, cycles well, doesn't shy away from hits, and can dish the puck well. When you have plugs like Jackman and Kostopolous playing with him of course plays are going to die. We need to have better 4th line players and use Mgrats only when needed. Picking up a bigger body or two in FA would be nice, there are a few guys out there that could definitely upgrade our 4th line. Nystrom is one of those guys. Imagine a 4th line with Nystrom and Stajan.
He's a great fourth line centre, no doubt, I completely agree. Last time Stajan played fourth line, it was one of our most effective lines consistently. If the roster stays the way it is now, and Monahan makes the team, I think we would have to put Stajan on the fourth line to maximize our other centres:

Cammalleri-Backlund-Stempniak
Hudler-Monahan-Jones
Glencross-Knight-Horak
Bouma-Stajan-McGrattan

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
  #81
Trae
____________________
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Rumor from where?
Yeah, that's the first I've heard. If we could get Seguin this summer, I'd still offer next years first++ for Seguin plus Boston's first/second. Say...

Glencross and/or Giordano, 2014 first, 2014 4th

For

Seguin and Boston's 1st/2nd

Understandably we could be picking top 3, but Seguin was a 2nd pick himself and is everything we hope Reinhart/Ekblad could turn into, he can step in much sooner and help the rebuild that much more.

Next season:

Cammalleri - Seguin - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Stajan - Monahan - Stempniak
Bouma - Knight - McGrattan
Horak/Jackman

Seguin and Monahan, two defensive centers with offensive talent and top line potentential. Then add faceoff specialist Knight anchoring the third line and we are well on our way to being a great team down the middle. Jankowski is playing a lot of wing in college as it stands right now, but if he develops then we could look something more like this in a few years:

Baertschi - Monahan - Poirier
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Seguin

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
  #82
Ace Rimmer
Moderator
What a guy!
 
Ace Rimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Io
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 12,355
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Well the rumor floating around was JG, Backlund and a 2nd.

I added Horak as depth, and Stempniak to replace Hortons minutes. The deal works for Boston, they shave 3million off the books, gets an A and C prospect and our 2nd.
Which rumour?

The one I saw was JG & 6th + for Seguin and filler; and glad the Flames didn't bite.

__________________
“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ace Rimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
  #83
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
He's actually a very useful 4th line center. He grinds hard, cycles well, doesn't shy away from hits, and can dish the puck well. When you have plugs like Jackman and Kostopolous playing with him of course plays are going to die. We need to have better 4th line players and use Mgrats only when needed. Picking up a bigger body or two in FA would be nice, there are a few guys out there that could definitely upgrade our 4th line. Nystrom is one of those guys. Imagine a 4th line with Nystrom and Stajan.
I strongly disagree, he out played Backlund last year and was our best player to throw him on the 4th line is a sad state of the franchise that players no longer have earn a position. Stajan was by far and away our best center last year he fits Hartley's system perfectly.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
  #84
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Yeah, that's the first I've heard. If we could get Seguin this summer, I'd still offer next years first++ for Seguin plus Boston's first/second. Say...

Glencross and/or Giordano, 2014 first, 2014 4th

For

Seguin and Boston's 1st/2nd

Understandably we could be picking top 3, but Seguin was a 2nd pick himself and is everything we hope Reinhart/Ekblad could turn into, he can step in much sooner and help the rebuild that much more.

Next season:

Cammalleri - Seguin - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Stajan - Monahan - Stempniak
Bouma - Knight - McGrattan
Horak/Jackman

Seguin and Monahan, two defensive centers with offensive talent and top line potentential. Then add faceoff specialist Knight anchoring the third line and we are well on our way to being a great team down the middle. Jankowski is playing a lot of wing in college as it stands right now, but if he develops then we look something more like this in a few years:

Baertschi - Monahan - Poirier
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Seguin
I'd do Seguin + Horton's rights for Glencross + JG + Backlund
Sign Stalberg to play 3rd line LW and Gordon to play 4th line center

Hudler - Seguin - Horton
Sven - Stajan - Jones
Stalberg - Knight - Stempniak
Bouma - Gordon - McGrattan

next years lineup

Hudler - Seguin - Horton
Sven - Monahan - Jones
Stalberg - Knight - Reinhart
Bouma - Gordon - Hanowski/Ferland

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:45 PM
  #85
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,055
vCash: 500
Considering Chiarelli now took the step of publicly criticizing Seguin, I'm going to take that to mean that no one was willing to match the Bruins' demands for him and that he'll remain a Bruin.

You don't publicly rip an asset you're looking to move.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:49 PM
  #86
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,610
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I strongly disagree, he out played Backlund last year and was our best player to throw him on the 4th line is a sad state of the franchise that players no longer have earn a position. Stajan was by far and away our best center last year he fits Hartley's system perfectly.
Sure, but saying that he's a great player on the 4th line isn't saying that he's a bad centre. It might just be best for the development of our other centres. And even if he's pencilled in there, it's likely that injuries make him end up playing in the top 6 for a good portion of the season.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
  #87
Trae
____________________
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Whoops, I didn't realize this was the Lecavalier thread, went a little off topic with that Seguin post haha.

I would love Vinny but I think with him Glenny, Cammy, Gio, Wideman, Hudler all left, and the potential that Ramo could be good, we are look at a 5-15 pick. I'm all for that, I don't mind staying competitive, just weird Feaster would admit its a rebuild and then go after Vinny, why not just stick to a retool? Regardless, us pursuing Vinny is exactly the type of move that separates us from the likes of Edmonton during their rebuild, not saying which way is right, but at least we are seeing an honest effort to improve our club.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
  #88
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Sure, but saying that he's a great player on the 4th line isn't saying that he's a bad centre. It might just be best for the development of our other centres. And even if he's pencilled in there, it's likely that injuries make him end up playing in the top 6 for a good portion of the season.
No but giving Backlund a spot over him when Stajan was better and gifting both Knight and Monahan spots is a terrible way to run a team. All players should have to earn their spots not just be the new shinny toy as it stands now Stajan is our best center having him on the 4th line is essentially tanking.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:58 PM
  #89
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,610
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
No but giving Backlund a spot over him when Stajan was better and gifting both Knight and Monahan spots is a terrible way to run a team. All players should have to earn their spots not just be the new shinny toy as it stands now Stajan is our best center having him on the 4th line is essentially tanking.
And what if they do earn a spot? Granted, it hasn't happened, but I was considering the case if all of our players step into camp and perform to their potential. Clearly, if players disappoint and Stajan doesn't, the situation changes.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:03 PM
  #90
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
And what if they do earn a spot? Granted, it hasn't happened, but I was considering the case if all of our players step into camp and perform to their potential. Clearly, if players disappoint and Stajan doesn't, the situation changes.
IF they bet out Stajan then they get the spot that simple but as it stands right not our center position should go

Stajan
Backlund
Monahan (if he is ready)
Knight
Reinhart

Penciling Stajan on the 4th line without seeing what the other centers can do is not only insulting to Stajan who was our most complete player last year and rebounded really nicely under Hartley after people cried for him to be bought out or sent to the AHL but it is foolish to simple throw the newest skinniest toy into a spot they aren't ready for. We all saw how well that went with El Nino in NYI.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
  #91
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,610
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
IF they bet out Stajan then they get the spot that simple but as it stands right not our center position should go

Stajan
Backlund
Monahan (if he is ready)
Knight
Reinhart

Penciling Stajan on the 4th line without seeing what the other centers can do is not only insulting to Stajan who was our most complete player last year and rebounded really nicely under Hartley after people cried for him to be bought out or sent to the AHL but it is foolish to simple throw the newest skinniest toy into a spot they aren't ready for. We all saw how well that went with El Nino in NYI.
I don't think it's insulting Stajan at all. The problem is, if those other centres make the team, it could be harmful for their development if they are mired on the fourth line. If they don't make the team, this conversation is based on a faulty premise anyway. I'm being optimistic.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
  #92
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
I don't think it's insulting Stajan at all. The problem is, if those other centres make the team, it could be harmful for their development if they are mired on the fourth line. If they don't make the team, this conversation is based on a faulty premise anyway. I'm being optimistic.
It is very insulting to be the best player on a team and get thrown on the 4th line and anyone who has had it happen to them would know.

Again if they can't beat Stajan out for a spot then they aren't ready for said spot. It is that simple, if they aren't as good they go back and develop in the OHL or AHL.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
  #93
1993
Registered User
 
1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
What MarkGio said. Also, dding on veteran piece to play tough minutes and mentor the team doesn't stunt a rebuild. Adding a handful of veterans to fill every spot in the roster so that your young guys don't have a sniff at cracking the lineup does. Big difference.

Every team has veterans. We could be like the Oilers, and have our veterans be the worst players on the team and get bitter about it and become problems in the locker room, or we could try to sign leaders and make our young guys even better.
If Vinny comes to the Flames it is to avoid playing for a contender so enough said. He should want to go to a team that has a chance to win. If Flames are spending $5 million per then go get someone that will still be able to contribute in 3 years. If we do this right we can compete in 3-4 years. No more quick fixes until start a new core.

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:45 PM
  #94
Johnny Hoxville
Tkachuk = Cowbell
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,219
vCash: 2403
Stajan should stick with Glencross and Stempniak IMO. Label that line however you want, they were extremely effective.

I don't want Vinny at all now. I'd rather sign or trade for a stop gap on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
  #95
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,610
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
It is very insulting to be the best player on a team and get thrown on the 4th line and anyone who has had it happen to them would know.

Again if they can't beat Stajan out for a spot then they aren't ready for said spot. It is that simple, if they aren't as good they go back and develop in the OHL or AHL.
I agree. My premise was that they have the potential to be better players than Stajan, and thus I hope that they can beat him out for a spot. If that happens, I think we will have great centre depth.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
  #96
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
unless the Bruins are extremely high on Gaudreau, I really cannot see this. We get a guy with 1C potential for an NHL longshot, an aspiring 2C, and a 2nd.

Doubtful...Although the more I look at it, it really isn't that bad value wise. Just that Boston gives up the best player, and he projects very high. I imagine they could get better offers.
Thing is, erase Backlund and Glencross from any trade proposals. A)Very doubtful Glencross EVER waives his NTC B) Backlund isn't signed, he's an RFA who will cost is next to nothing to keep.

Trading for Seguin would be easier said then done, but it has to make sense. JG is probably more popular in Boston than in Calgary. Horak is a young depth prospect who can probably excel in Boston's lineup. Stempniak....everyone knows what you get from him and he is cheap. And the pick is for the yes factor.

It's a great trade for Boston. Fills holes left by Horton, and Seguin. Plus they get the hometown hero in JG and a pick.

Even if you put Arnold or another prosect in place of Horak, this could be a FA day trade.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
  #97
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Thing is, erase Backlund and Glencross from any trade proposals. A)Very doubtful Glencross EVER waives his NTC B) Backlund isn't signed, he's an RFA who will cost is next to nothing to keep.

Trading for Seguin would be easier said then done, but it has to make sense. JG is probably more popular in Boston than in Calgary. Horak is a young depth prospect who can probably excel in Boston's lineup. Stempniak....everyone knows what you get from him and he is cheap. And the pick is for the yes factor.

It's a great trade for Boston. Fills holes left by Horton, and Seguin. Plus they get the hometown hero in JG and a pick.

Even if you put Arnold or another prosect in place of Horak, this could be a FA day trade.
It's a terrible trade for Boston. There isn't a single impact player in the suggested offer. The Bruins could easily get a better package than that.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:17 PM
  #98
Rockmorton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Anyone else think Stajan would improve by having Vinny here? He struggles when he's expected to be "The Guy". With Vinny here, he wouldn't have to be.

Rockmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:56 AM
  #99
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,446
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmorton View Post
Anyone else think Stajan would improve by having Vinny here? He struggles when he's expected to be "The Guy". With Vinny here, he wouldn't have to be.
Except that is just not true. He is not good enough to be "the guy", but when he was used in that role he produced at levels close to his career highs in points and well above his career highs in assists.

The only things he "struggled" to do was score goals and have Brent Sutter play him in a useful role.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:15 AM
  #100
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,514
vCash: 500
Why are the Bruins parting with Seguin exactly?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.