HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Changing Stick Handedness After Shoulder Dislocation

Old
01-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Jeefone

vCash: 500
Changing Stick Handedness After Shoulder Dislocation

I've been dealing with a recurring shoulder problem for 5 or 6 years now ( 6 dislocations and 2 surgeries) and after extensive rehab and physio, I still feel like I can't regain the strength and stability that I once had in my left shoulder.

I shoot left and I can still stick handle and pass just fine but when it comes to snap shots or wrist shots when my arm is extended and I'm reaching, I just can't get any power (and it also makes my shoulder pop and crunch).

Since quitting is obviously not an option, I'm toying with the idea of playing with a right handed stick. I'm right handed and I feel like my right arm is stronger than my left to begin with. Has anyone ever successfully changed the way they shoot?

Jeefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
scryan

As a kid I had a right handed stick.
I wasn't great, in fact my brother was the serious hockey player but it had our whole family on roller skates playing on basketball courts.... But I could naturally move around a puck and shoot and what not.

I started playing again a good few months ago, but as goalie... So now I have a left handed stick.
I have a terrible shot when it comes time to make quick passes, but I have only been playing 6 months, and rarely practice shooting, plus the glove makes it a bit harder.

While none of that helps you I just wanted to give a bit of background....
I think if your dedicated you can make it work. It was not NEARLY as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I would bet that with in like 2 - 3 hour sessions out on the ice you would probably be able to do it, but it would be uncomfortable and you would still lack a lot of fluidity/speed/accuracy that would come with a bit more time. Probably would never make it back to your best, but if your not there now anyways it probably worth trying.
Any place like play it again sports (used hockey gear) nearby? Just pickup something functional on the cheap... 1 used player stick isn't too much, then give it a few practice session before you think too hard about if its working or not.

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Lucy

vCash: 100
I tried once and failed, it ended up just being too awkward. I also shoot left, and tried to switch to right so I could have my dominant hand as my top hand, and have my skater stick handedness match my handedness when I play in goal.

Just buy a cheap wooden stick of the opposite handedness and see how it feels. You may be like me and just know immediately it's not going to work out, but it's worth it to just try. I'm sure with enough patience and practice you could make it work.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Canadiens1958

Handedness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeefone View Post
I've been dealing with a recurring shoulder problem for 5 or 6 years now ( 6 dislocations and 2 surgeries) and after extensive rehab and physio, I still feel like I can't regain the strength and stability that I once had in my left shoulder.

I shoot left and I can still stick handle and pass just fine but when it comes to snap shots or wrist shots when my arm is extended and I'm reaching, I just can't get any power (and it also makes my shoulder pop and crunch).

Since quitting is obviously not an option, I'm toying with the idea of playing with a right handed stick. I'm right handed and I feel like my right arm is stronger than my left to begin with. Has anyone ever successfully changed the way they shoot?
It is doable. Gordie Howe, Chris Chelios and others could shoot either way, RHS or LHS.

Whether you should do it is a medical decision that only the doctors familiar with the mechanics of your repaired shoulder can answer.

One of the concerns would be that changing handedness would open your repaired shoulder to contact.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Jeefone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
As a kid I had a right handed stick.
I wasn't great, in fact my brother was the serious hockey player but it had our whole family on roller skates playing on basketball courts.... But I could naturally move around a puck and shoot and what not.

I started playing again a good few months ago, but as goalie... So now I have a left handed stick.
I have a terrible shot when it comes time to make quick passes, but I have only been playing 6 months, and rarely practice shooting, plus the glove makes it a bit harder.

While none of that helps you I just wanted to give a bit of background....
I think if your dedicated you can make it work. It was not NEARLY as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I would bet that with in like 2 - 3 hour sessions out on the ice you would probably be able to do it, but it would be uncomfortable and you would still lack a lot of fluidity/speed/accuracy that would come with a bit more time. Probably would never make it back to your best, but if your not there now anyways it probably worth trying.
Any place like play it again sports (used hockey gear) nearby? Just pickup something functional on the cheap... 1 used player stick isn't too much, then give it a few practice session before you think too hard about if its working or not.
Thanks for the feedback! I have given it a try off ice and it feels a bit bizarre but I'm going to keep working on it and give it a try at the outdoor rink before trying in game.

Old
01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Jeefone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
I tried once and failed, it ended up just being too awkward. I also shoot left, and tried to switch to right so I could have my dominant hand as my top hand, and have my skater stick handedness match my handedness when I play in goal.

Just buy a cheap wooden stick of the opposite handedness and see how it feels. You may be like me and just know immediately it's not going to work out, but it's worth it to just try. I'm sure with enough patience and practice you could make it work.
I'm trying to use the "mind over matter" philisophy to overcome the awkwardness but it's defintely going to be a challenge

Old
01-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Jeefone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
It is doable. Gordie Howe, Chris Chelios and others could shoot either way, RHS or LHS.

Whether you should do it is a medical decision that only the doctors familiar with the mechanics of your repaired shoulder can answer.

One of the concerns would be that changing handedness would open your repaired shoulder to contact.
This is an extremely valid point that I hadn't given much thought to. My natural inclination is to protect the repaired shoulder at all cost and I'm currently able to do that with my right arm. I'm worried I would make a snap reaction to a situation (reach for a puck or push off another player) and re injure myself.

Old
01-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Onetimersniper28

Last year, around September, my left wrist was put in a cast (I shoot right). Naturally, I couldn't stick handle properly. I would watch my friends play ball hockey from the bench.
During the warm ups, I would pick up a left handed stick just to practice hand eye coordination, take a few shots and try to stickhandle and pass. Surprisingly, stickhandling with only the top hand on the stick was just as easy as with my regular righty stick, and I can now lift the ball in the air when I shoot left handed.
I'd say once you know the correct technique, you can master it with either side. It's just like learning to kick with the weak foot in soccer.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote