HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013 NHL Draft: The Avalanche Select... (Discuss Avs Selections In Here)

Old
06-30-2013, 09:59 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Here is my report on Geertsen

#44 Mason Geertsen – Defensive Defenseman [2013]
Pros: Great frame. Always physical and tough. Pretty good skater for his size. Joins the play from time to time. Solid first pass.
Cons: Not a lot of offensive talent. Prone for turnovers at times.
Potential: Bottom pairing defenseman
will be interesting to see how the D is when the better prospects come up and we have both size and talent in the fold.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:00 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I think the Preds were banking on one of the top 3 teams to pick Jones. If they could redo it, I see them paying a decent price to move into the top 2 to get Mak/Barkov.

Jones is obviously a great player, but to have him as your #3 defenseman is a bit of a waste.
they love D men in Nashville so not really. ideally Barkov would have fallen to them but i doubt they want to redo getting Jones.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Avs inviting Kurt Etchegary to our camp.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=122124

From Quebec Remparts

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:12 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:

From Quebec Remparts
Wonder if Roy had a say in this.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:

From Quebec Remparts
That is more like it, an undersized center.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:35 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Is it me or does Bigras look almost like Heard?

Old
06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
chet1926

My predictions:

-MacKinnon won't win the Calder, he will be very good for us, but we will bring him along slowly and not put him in too many pressure situations. My pick for Calder is going to be Drouin as he will get to play with Stamkos. MacKinnon will breakout in year 2.

-Bigras will become the 3rd best dman from this draft behind only Jones and one or Mueller or Morrissey. Everything I read about this kid gets me super excited. Good skater, high hockey IQ, smart in the classroom, easy to coach. He will become a solid #2 guy, who can contribute some offense but is just an all around solid player.

-Martin will get lost in our already strong goalie prospects, he probably falls behind Pickard and Aitto but ahead of Patterson and Millan.

-Geertsen becomes a bottom pairing guy, that is a pain in the butt to play against. Probably is a borderline AHL/NHL guy.

-Butcher will either be awesome or terrible. It will be interesting to see how he progresses at DU the next couple of seasons. I like his offensive upside.

-Storm will bust hard. Never been a fan of these huge kids, its just tough for them to become the caliber skaters that is needed to be a regular in the NHL. Not to say its impossible, but really didn't like this pick.

-Westlund is another boom or bust type. Seems to have been rated pretty high, but the questions is why did he slip to the 7th round? I think one of him or Butcher will become a very solid 3rd pairing caliber guy.

My really bold prediction non-Avs related:

-Seth Jones does not play in the NHL next season. I think there are holes in his game that need improvement and NSH is loaded already at defense and they won't rush him when they don't "need" him to play.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

Quote:

From Quebec Remparts
Could be first newfie on the Avs?

I'm fine with that.

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post

My really bold prediction non-Avs related:

-Seth Jones does not play in the NHL next season. I think there are holes in his game that need improvement and NSH is loaded already at defense and they won't rush him when they don't "need" him to play.
Just to touch on this last point, if I'm reading this tweet right he will be in the NHL next year.

KWilsonPreds ‏@KWilsonPreds 2m From Trotzy at the Table - "He is playing with Weber.""

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

I really like the Spencer Martin pick. I think we're good when it comes to stocking up on potential no3-5 dmen as well. Now this team needs to get that top pairing dman and add a strong strong winger. I don't like the idea of moving Stastny to the wing and expecting things from there. I'm not sure if he'd re-sign so I would rather just trade him for a 2nd line winger....a dependable if not great one. It's a shame because he could have netted us a lot more an year and a half ago.

I remember watching this episode live and never would have thought that this kid would end up being our first pick

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I think the Preds were banking on one of the top 3 teams to pick Jones. If they could redo it, I see them paying a decent price to move into the top 2 to get Mak/Barkov.

Jones is obviously a great player, but to have him as your #3 defenseman is a bit of a waste.
They can probably trade for Yakupov+ if they want by having Jones. It's not a bad thing at all...it's just that Tallon has to have the balls to move one of those big three dmen (Josi/Jones/Weber). Their offense is basically Colin Wilson and a group of 2nd liners.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Foppa Frossa

I am still sad about not getting Jones. I'm guessing that will change after seeing MacKinnon for a few games.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:50 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:

From Quebec Remparts
Just curious where the info came from on the Avs inviting him to camp? And did anyone else get an invitation?

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:54 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Just curious where the info came from on the Avs inviting him to camp? And did anyone else get an invitation?
@MLalancette: Patrick Roy a invité Kurt Etchegary au camp de l'Avalanche. #lhjmq #avs

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
@MLalancette: Patrick Roy a invité Kurt Etchegary au camp de l'Avalanche. #lhjmq #avs
I'm assuming all our other picks will be invited to this camp as well?

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:56 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

That is official report, but I got it from the Summer Prospect Camp thread on the Prospects Board.

No word on anybody else, but Martin (or Bigras, forgot who) did tweet that he was ready for prospect camp in a week. So maybe next Saturday or Friday?

Old
Waingro
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
-Martin will get lost in our already strong goalie prospects, he probably falls behind Pickard and Aitto but ahead of Patterson and Millan.

-Storm will bust hard. Never been a fan of these huge kids, its just tough for them to become the caliber skaters that is needed to be a regular in the NHL. Not to say its impossible, but really didn't like this pick.
I doubt all four goalie prospects are still in the minors with the Avs by the time Martin turns pro. He's got two more years of junior eligibility. I'd guess only one of those guys, maybe two is still with the Avs by that time.

As for Storm, guys like him don't always improve enough on their weaknesses to make it to the NHL regularly, but as a 6th rounder he's worth a shot IMO.

Waingro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Foppa Frossa

can has training camp nao?

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I doubt all four goalie prospects are still in the minors with the Avs by the time Martin turns pro. He's got two more years of junior eligibility. I'd guess only one of those guys, maybe two is still with the Avs by that time.

As for Storm, guys like him don't always improve enough on their weaknesses to make it to the NHL regularly, but as a 6th rounder he's worth a shot IMO.
I'd venture to guess Patterson is probably with a different AHL team and Millan is looking for work. Pickard or Aitto will be with the Avs and the other maybe with a different team. So you are probably right he will have an opportunity to be on the Monsters.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
zxcvnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I did - they wanted to see if I could play defense - but I'm too fat and slow, so I had to respectfully decline.

zxcvnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Just to touch on this last point, if I'm reading this tweet right he will be in the NHL next year.

KWilsonPreds ‏@KWilsonPreds 2m From Trotzy at the Table - "He is playing with Weber.""
Well then it sounds like he will be receiving the royal treatment in NSH. Can't wait for that one to backfire. Lets throw a raw 18 year old on our top pairing and play him 25mins a night. I don't care how good Weber is, Jones is not ready for top pairing NHL minutes. Even with the Avs **** poor defense I was only wanting him to play sheltered 3rd pairing minutes like 16-17 mins a night with some PP time if we had drafted him. It sounds like a heck of a good way to ruin a good prospects confidence. Lets put it this way Seth Jones hasn't seen players like Toews, Kane, Parise, Koivu, Duchene, PAP, Perron, Backes, Ladd, E Kane etc. and these are just the players he'd see in his division, they'd all eat him for breakfast at this point.

I would not be surprised if that experiment only lasted a few games and then they put Josi with Weber on the 1st pairing a move Jones to sheltered minutes.

Oh well not my call. And this thread is supposed to be about Avs draft picks so I won't rant about Jones anymore.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Alex Jones
BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!

I wouldn't doubt Nashville and their development of Jones.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I wanted him anywhere except Nashville and look what freakin happened.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I wouldn't doubt, but I wouldn't guarantee it either. Blum and Ellis are looking very meh after being high draft picks.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I said this elsewhere but I'll reiterate it here: Jones will not make it more than two season in Nashville before being traded.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote