HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez Gives the Florida Panthers Options

Old
08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
coopdaloop123

vCash: 500
Scott Gomez Gives the Florida Panthers Options

Article on what the Scott Gomez signing could mean for the Panthers.

http://pantherparkway.com/2013/08/01...thers-options/

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:43 PM
LUUUUUIS
Do the maths!

You lost me at Shore on the fourth line. I can understand not putting Gomez there, though isn't that where he played in San Jose? Third and 4th line duties? I just dont' see how Shore on the fourth line benifits the Panthers or Shore.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:52 PM
SeasonTicket

Is this actually an article or some ones personal blog. He might as well just right his opinion directly on here.

Players careers don't last as long as they did in the past. 4-5 more years for Gomez after this year is pushing a little don't you think. He was lucky to get a second chance with SJ.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:23 PM
LUUUUUIS
Do the maths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
Is this actually an article or some ones personal blog. He might as well just right his opinion directly on here.

Players careers don't last as long as they did in the past. 4-5 more years for Gomez after this year is pushing a little don't you think. He was lucky to get a second chance with SJ.
What's the difference? Panthers Parkway has three writers. This is an article from one of them. They're credentialed media members.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
You lost me at Shore on the fourth line. I can understand not putting Gomez there, though isn't that where he played in San Jose? Third and 4th line duties? I just dont' see how Shore on the fourth line benifits the Panthers or Shore.
Yeah that was the only real reason I didn't quite understand the signing. Unless the Panthers wan't to start Shore in the AHL which I hope they don't, but who knows. We probably won't know much of anything until training camp, but I don't mind the signing as long as it doesn't negatively affect any younger guys roles.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
FlaPanthers7

Wasn't Shore an all-star when he was in the AHL? I don't think he has anything left to prove there, especially after an overall successful rookie year last year.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Marchessault Good
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Wasn't Shore an all-star when he was in the AHL? I don't think he has anything left to prove there, especially after an overall successful rookie year last year.
He had 11 pts in feb, then 2 points the rest of the season.

Marchessault Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:51 PM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Every team needs a representative. Someone had to go.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:39 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
He had 11 pts in feb, then 2 points the rest of the season.
he had a wrist injury.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:01 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
What's the difference? Panthers Parkway has three writers. This is an article from one of them. They're credentialed media members.
They are not full time journalists at all, nor do they hold themselves out to be. One or 2 middle age gentleman, and a few college age students. They are credentialed, but I see why you would think of it as a blog for unlike a newspaper there is no true newspaper Editorial process.

That said, the 2 ill read & I enjoy r Frank and Jameson, and they happily will banter back and forth.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:31 PM
LUUUUUIS
Do the maths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
They are not full time journalists at all, nor do they hold themselves out to be. One or 2 middle age gentleman, and a few college age students. They are credentialed, but I see why you would think of it as a blog for unlike a newspaper there is no true newspaper Editorial process.

That said, the 2 ill read & I enjoy r Frank and Jameson, and they happily will banter back and forth.
Right, and I wasn't trying to protray them as otherwise. Still, it's an organized group of writers producing content for the consumption of the masses. I can see why they chose to just post a link here, instead of writing it in the original post.

Back on the topic. The more I read about Gomez, the more it's a mystery to me where he'll be slotted in. He has talent and still seems to have physical ability. Pressure and work ethic seemed to be have been his downfalls. Maybe he won't bring them to Florida. Should be an interesting training camp.

Old
08-02-2013, 04:48 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Not a bandwaggoner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Back on the topic. The more I read about Gomez, the more it's a mystery to me where he'll be slotted in. He has talent and still seems to have physical ability. Pressure and work ethic seemed to be have been his downfalls. Maybe he won't bring them to Florida. Should be an interesting training camp.
I don't get why everyone is saying this. Gomez was a 3rd/ 4th liner with SJ who saw some pp time on the 2nd unit. Many on here (not saying you) seem to think he'll get a shot at first/second line minutes, which I think is completely unfounded. He's replacing Jesse Winchester, not Shawn Matthias.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:55 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

I wouldn't be surprised if during the season if Matthias or Barkov are struggling on the first 2 lines, Gomez might get his shot. But to start the season, I think we'll be looking at:

Matthias
Barkov
Goc
Gomez

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:01 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:

Glad you enjoy reading my stuff and thanks for keeping up with us. The blog is only in it's first year and I only joined mid-way through the season. We are going through a site overhaul right now to make things make look better and keep providing fans with interesting stories they may not get from print news as well as our own personal game previews/re-caps. Although it's not a full time profession, I still put in a lot of time at the practice rink and in the locker room after games talking to guys and getting stories. It's a passion and I am glad you enjoy what I've put out so far and will continue to put out in the future. Any input from Panther fans is always welcome given the fact you are the ones we are trying to create content for. Thanks again!

...and back to the Gomez topic. I can't remember a time in recent memory where going into camp a team's 1st line center could end up being their 4th line center. It's really amazing how this is all shaping up and it means that camp could be one for the ages. No one's spot is guaranteed and hopefully that breeds competition and production. Even if a player is slated as the #1 guy for opening night they have to know that they are on a short leash and hopefully that leads to production rather than stress and regression.

Old
08-02-2013, 07:55 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:

Thank you for reading our work. As Jameson indicated we are approaching our first full year in September as an independent site. Our views and comments are our own, and we do it for the love of the game, and for the ability to interact with our fan base. The credential part is an added bonus that we value greatly, and don't take lightly. We aim to be objective, and realize that sometimes we may be a bit controversial, but then if we weren't, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

I personally started the site after writing for three years at The Rat Trick, a site who's name I founded, but due to to a difference in philosophy, I decided to start my own site.

With the ability to get up close to the players, and be more involved than your average blogger, we are able to provide more in depth commentary.

As for Gomez, as my article says, he'll be of little value on the 4th line, and if that's where he lands, then either Shore and or Matthias really made an impression in camp. Shore on the 4th line may not make much sense early on, but, he too needs to show some consistency in his game. September will be very interesting.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:17 PM
JP Mick
Real Good.

vCash: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I don't get why everyone is saying this. Gomez was a 3rd/ 4th liner with SJ who saw some pp time on the 2nd unit. Many on here (not saying you) seem to think he'll get a shot at first/second line minutes, which I think is completely unfounded. He's replacing Jesse Winchester, not Shawn Matthias.
I'm not sure why you are so set on Gomez being on the forth line just because that is where the Sharks stuck him. He will get a chance to outplay anyone else during training camp and preseason. If he earns a spot on the second line do you think Dineen will just say "nope sorry, you're making fourth line money so get back down where you belong"?

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
KW

I'd be really surprised to see Gomez on the 4th line. In fact, it's not a fit at all. Gomez has offensive skill, he's absolutely not for the energetic hit-anybody spark plug role.

I doubt he can be relied on for first line either, unless he's truly physically recovered and free of health effects. Beyond that I don't really know or care where he lands. It's more a function of who he gels with.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:01 PM
hockeydude1
#CatsAreComing

I think the 3rd line is ideal for Gomez. If he proves better than that then give him 2nd line. I don't see him being our 1st line center though.

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:28 AM
SeasonTicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsomebody View Post
Thank you for reading our work. As Jameson indicated we are approaching our first full year in September as an independent site. Our views and comments are our own, and we do it for the love of the game, and for the ability to interact with our fan base. The credential part is an added bonus that we value greatly, and don't take lightly. We aim to be objective, and realize that sometimes we may be a bit controversial, but then if we weren't, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

I personally started the site after writing for three years at The Rat Trick, a site who's name I founded, but due to to a difference in philosophy, I decided to start my own site.

With the ability to get up close to the players, and be more involved than your average blogger, we are able to provide more in depth commentary.

As for Gomez, as my article says, he'll be of little value on the 4th line, and if that's where he lands, then either Shore and or Matthias really made an impression in camp. Shore on the 4th line may not make much sense early on, but, he too needs to show some consistency in his game. September will be very interesting.
Sorry but I have a hard time accepting this as a news article. It's a blog. It's Your personal thoughts and opinions for what you think might happen with the line up.

I have no problem reading your comments and opinions but at the end of the day your views in your blog are no different than what posters submit here on this site. Everyone is welcome and has the right to post their opinions and speculate what they would like to see happen with the team. Post it here and make it open to discussion. But don't call your personal thoughts news.

The article that your site did on Shore however I thought was excellent. Very well written, nice quotes from Shore and recapped his season well. That I consider a news article and I appreciate the time spent doing that when it's not your full time occupation.

Last edited by SeasonTicket: 08-03-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old
08-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Killerinstinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if during the season if Matthias or Barkov are struggling on the first 2 lines, Gomez might get his shot. But to start the season, I think we'll be looking at:

Matthias
Barkov
Goc
Gomez
Gomez has all tools to be first line center, but its probably some kind of mental struggling what hes battling. In a best case Gomez is solid first line center, Barkov second line center.

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:08 AM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Sorry but I have a hard time accepting this as a news article. It's a blog. It's Your personal thoughts and opinions for what you think might happen with the line up.

I have no problem reading your comments and opinions but at the end of the day your views in your blog are no different than what posters submit here on this site. Everyone is welcome and has the right to post their opinions and speculate what they would like to see happen with the team. Post it here and make it open to discussion. But don't call your personal thoughts news.

The article that your site did on Shore however I thought was excellent. Very well written, nice quotes from Shore and recapped his season well. That I consider a news article and I appreciate the time spent doing that when it's not your full time occupation.
We write articles of all kinds. Some are news related and others are our own thoughts and ideas. Not sure where the "news" reference came from. If you follow us during the season, or go back on our past you'll see what we bring to the table.
Thanks

Old
08-03-2013, 10:59 AM
SeasonTicket

On the Florida board on this site this thread is labeled "News Article".

Your promoting your blog/fan site on this site. If your site is good and worth reading then people will find your site.

If you want to share your thoughts on this site then I think you should start a thread and share your opinion as the rest of the people on here do.

I have read your site and like I said I thought the article on Shore was very good. However when you get away from reporting and start blogging I find the content less than interesting because it's just the same as the opinions posted here. The difference is that here there are various view points and creates back and forth dialogue. I personally prefer this format to yours. I don't post that often but I enjoy reading the various positions different people bring to the table here.

For my news on the team I stick to the Panthers official site or the beat writers for the local papers.

Old
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Killerinstinct

Quote:
On the Florida board on this site this thread is labeled "News Article".

Your promoting your blog/fan site on this site. If your site is good and worth reading then people will find your site.

If you want to share your thoughts on this site then I think you should start a thread and share your opinion as the rest of the people on here do.

I have read your site and like I said I thought the article on Shore was very good. However when you get away from reporting and start blogging I find the content less than interesting because it's just the same as the opinions posted here. The difference is that here there are various view points and creates back and forth dialogue. I personally prefer this format to yours. I don't post that often but I enjoy reading the various positions different people bring to the table here.

For my news on the team I stick to the Panthers official site or the beat writers for the local papers.
Huh

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:08 PM
hockeydude1
#CatsAreComing

News would be more from the sun sentinel or Miami herald. Those are more "official". I can report about Dineen saying the lineup for this season but nobody would believe me if I don't have valid sources

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:39 PM
DrMom9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I'm not sure why you are so set on Gomez being on the forth line just because that is where the Sharks stuck him. He will get a chance to outplay anyone else during training camp and preseason. If he earns a spot on the second line do you think Dineen will just say "nope sorry, you're making fourth line money so get back down where you belong"?
If Gomez is outplaying anyone in camp, we're in trouble. Oh wait, we're the Florida Panthers, we're already in trouble.

DrMom9900 is offline   Reply With Quote