HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the 21st overall pick, Toronto selects... Frederik Gauthier!

Old
07-01-2013, 12:14 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
I'm not even going to pretend I know about this Shinkaruk (sp?) guy, but if he is such a can't-miss prospect, why did 20 picks before us and 2 after us go by without him being selected??

Well clearly that is because none of their scouts, GMs, or coaches are as smart as some posters here.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
PuckMagi

vCash: 50
sorry if this has been answered already... but when can we expect him to play for the leafs? not this next season, not the season after that... but maybe the next one?

PuckMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
BertCorbeau

Gauthier has shown flashes of being an offensive player whilst being quite solid defensively ... This being a rookie in the Q nonetheless .. IMO it's a great development pick to see if he can take his offense to the next level while rounding out an already quality defensive game

To add to that, he brings much needed size down the middle which is something the Leafs prospect pool has lacked ... What's not to like about this pick? He's not 'sexy' by any means, but at the same time the Leafs have a lot of wingers in the system already

At #21 BPA is very subjective and it's likely that the difference between one prospect and another isn't much in their scouts eyes, so they go with need at that point

BertCorbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:25 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMagi View Post
sorry if this has been answered already... but when can we expect him to play for the leafs? not this next season, not the season after that... but maybe the next one?
Realisitcally, yes. However some guys just surprise, so its hard to tell.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426720

Quote:
In addition to Bolland, Nonis and his scouting staff looked to address the centre position long-term, settling on Gauthier with their first round pick, a big, defense-first centre from the Quebec league. Gauthier projects as a stable, low-risk option down the middle, a player who might line up in a shutdown role for the Leafs one day, though not anytime soon.

“We're pretty comfortable that he should round out to a second-line centre top-end, but at least a third line guy that can be very responsible,” Nonis said of Gauthier, who remains a work in progress offensively, nonetheless totaling 22 goals in his first season with the Oceanic. “He's the type of player that you need to eat up minutes, a big-minute crunching centreman that right now we were lacking.”

Of those “indicators” which suggest NHL potential, Dave Morrison, the Leafs head scout, pointed to Gauthier's size, defensive savvy, and ability to process the game.

“We just think there's some upside,” Morrison told TSN.ca, also emphasizing Gauthier's competitiveness and skill on the draw, “how much offensively remains to be seen. But we're hopeful. He's still a young guy, a big body that's still growing, still growing into that body.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:33 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

For all the good picks Montreal had, I expected they would do better. I do like what Vancouver did at first glance.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:43 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMagi View Post
Give him 2-3 years.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Nonis is just trying to temper expectations of Gauthier in terms of offensive production.

He's got all the physical tools to be a very capable Top 6 Centerman that can put up some points, but as mentioned, it has yet to be seen.

So instead of them going out and stating that he has Top line potential and could someday produce like that, they've decided to go with another approach.

He missed a year of CHL development, so last year was his rookie season and still managed to produce at a PPG level.

Ryan Getzlaf CHL Stats - WHL Calgary Hitment - Also a "deep" draft in 2003 - 6ft4, 215lbs

Season 1: 63gp 9g 9a 18pts 34pim -16
Season 2: 70gp 29g 39a 68pts 121pim +8

Frederik Gauthier CHL Stats - Another "deep" draft - 6ft5, 215lbs

Season 1: 62gp 22g 38a 60pts 26pim +22

By no means am I suggesting that Gauthier could project to be as good as a player as Ryan Getzlaf, but Getzlaf similar production at the same age as Gauthier and wasn't exactly projected to be an offensive dynamo. He was drafted 19th overall in a "deep" draft for a reason. His positive strides between Season 1 and Season 2 of his CHL career really developed who he would be as a player and made him understand that he could really contribute.

It was after his draft season that IIRC he seemed to really understand that he's got good size, skillset and can really use his unique skillset to help his offensive production.

Hopefully Gauthier takes another positive step in the right direction after getting some help from his NHL reps and takes on a bigger role with his junior squad next season that enables him to further develop his offensive side, similar to Getzlaf finding his game between the draft and his next season in the CHL.

He's already years ahead of the game in terms of Hockey IQ and Defensive Understanding, which is often the most difficult aspect for a young player to understand, and I believe he was one of the Top ranking NA Centermen in terms of Faceoff %. Combine those tools together, and it should translate into a "safe" pick to be an NHL Player.

If he learns a bit more about himself, how he can use his body to produce offensively and make others around himself better, then we may really see him take off next season.

That has yet to be seen, so of course Nonis wants to temper expectations, but its not out of the question.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 07-01-2013 at 01:02 PM.
ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:59 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
For all the good picks Montreal had, I expected they would do better. I do like what Vancouver did at first glance.
I agree, if they can get Lu on board, then they have a chance to extend their window big time. Booth/Ballard buyouts and their sitting pretty nice cap wise Again with a pretty good roster & nice players coming up.

The Big D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
will13

The kid has an interview on hockey central in a few minutes

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...know-gauthier/

Quote:
HC @ Noon: Getting to know Gauthier

Toronto Maple Leafs first round draft pick Frederik Gauthier joins HOCKEY CENTRAL at Noon to discuss being selected by the Leafs at the NHL draft and who his influences were growing up.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Leafs at Knight
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebombers View Post
The kid has an interview on hockey central in a few minutes
And so begins the horrible life of the Toronto media.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post

Ryan Getzlaf CHL Stats - WHL Calgary Hitment - Also a "deep" draft in 2003 - 6ft4, 215lbs

Season 1: 63gp 9g 9a 18pts 34pim -16
Season 2: 70gp 29g 39a 68pts 121pim +8

Frederik Gauthier CHL Stats - Another "deep" draft - 6ft5, 215lbs

Season 1: 62gp 22g 38a 60pts 26pim +22
Seriously? You're missing a pretty crucial statistic in that comparison.

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Well clearly that is because none of their scouts, GMs, or coaches are as smart as some posters here.
Being smarter than us does not mean they are always right.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Seriously? You're missing a pretty crucial statistic in that comparison.
You picked one point of my post and completely ignored the fact that I stated that it was not meant to be a comparison by ANY means other than the simple fact that progression between one season could really benefit one finding their offensive game in the CHL.

So, for you to sit there and say "Seriously" and state I am missing a crucial statistic clearly indicates that you stopped reading the post after that point.

I realize that they're not the same age going into their first CHL Seasons, as do I realize they're not the same player, league or era and a whole laundry list of other factors playing into said statistical break downs, which is why I made it clear that I was not comparing the two directly.

That absolutely was not the point.

The general idea of the post was simple the shed some light on the fact that one can make positive strides and discover another gear.

Despite Gauthier's offensive abilities being downplayed now, does not mean that's all he'll ever be.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
leafers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I hope Gaulthier is more than a top Checking 3 C, nothing wrong with this, but at #21, I hope we drafted at least a #2C.

Not sure about the Bolland trade, Justin Bailey was on the board for us at #51. If we had walked out of here with Gaulthier and Bailey I would have been more pleased.

My initial reaction, mixed on the first draft by Nonis. We won't know for years what Gaulthier is, and what missing Bailey will be if Bolland is here for a cup of coffee.
When it's all said and done, I think you're gonna be pleased we picked Gauthier ahead of some of the 'sexier' picks.

There has been so much emphasis on his defensive game (and rightfully so), his offensive reputation is getting a beating because of it.
He will surprise some people and is better than a lot are giving him credit for.

leafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
You picked one point of my post and completely ignored the fact that I stated that it was not meant to be a comparison by ANY means other than the simple fact that progression between one season could really benefit one finding their offensive game in the CHL.

So, for you to sit there and say "Seriously" and state I am missing a crucial statistic clearly indicates that you stopped reading the post after that point.

The general idea of the post was simple the shed some light on the fact that one can make positive strides and discover another gear.

Despite being Gauthier's offensive abilities being downplayed now, does not mean that's all he'll ever be.
On top of that, we could also pick many other players that were either very good defensively when drafted or a giant when drafted who didn't contribute above PPG offensively and exploded after.

Jordan Staal
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler (didn't exactly kill the league he was in)
Eric Staal (In his 2nd year, not draft year)

The kid also had 52 pts in 44 games before going on a cold streak of 8pts in 18 games to finish his season, in his first long length season which scouts think was caused by fatigue at the end.

At the end of the day, it is harder to teach Defense than Offense. I also understand that me may only become a 3rd line center, or possibly even a bust. But I also don't rule out his potential to explode past Nonis' safe projection to keep Leaf Nation from considering him a bust.

Last edited by Jacob8hockey*: 07-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Being smarter than us does not mean they are always right.
No but they have a much better understanding of these prospects and have a much higher rate of evaluating them.

Gauthier is an interesting prospect with a unique combination of attributes and if he pans out he'll be a good one.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Rimouski Oceanic GM Phillippe Boucher — who played his final NHL season with Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins — said the Leafs got a steal, that Gauthier is built to succeed in the NHL.

“I think he’ll eventually be a No. 2 centre,” Boucher said of Gauthier. “His understanding of the game is beyond anything I’ve ever seen. His comprehension of the defensive game, that’s something that usually takes years to develop.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/..._gauthier.html

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
I'm not even going to pretend I know about this Shinkaruk (sp?) guy, but if he is such a can't-miss prospect, why did 20 picks before us and 2 after us go by without him being selected??
No one is saying he is a cant miss prospect quite the opposite. He seems to be. Guy that will boom or bust.
I think are just frustrated that with a weak prospect pool we passed on a guy with that much high end skill.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Yes no poster on this board should ever question anything the teams scouts or management does. Because they never make mistakes.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
We passed on Shinkaruk for a 4th liner, awesome!
please stop posting. He's far from a 4th liner, he can skate, he's absolutely huge, he has great hands, his ceiling is quite high.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
ThreeHundred

Interesting to see people's reactions from last years draft when we took Rielly. A lot of upset people but now people seem to be happy with Rielly. Go to page 13

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...214081&page=13

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
studebaker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Interesting to see people's reactions from last years draft when we took Rielly. A lot of upset people but now people seem to be happy with Rielly. Go to page 13

every year my friend lol. at least the picks seem more promising than the years of luca cereda, jeff ware, ect.

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Vexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post

This post by DaveT83 is epic because both things happened:

"So we better be trading Schenn + a bunch of other losers for help up front - otherwise Burke is gone by X-mas" - pg.18

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote