HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Wisconsin to face Ohio State at Lambeau

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Wisconsin to face Ohio State at Lambeau

According to this article over on the Inside College Hockey site, a press conference will make official the announcement that the Wisconsin Badgers will host the Ohio State Buckeyes in the US Hockey Hall of Fame game at Lambeau Field on February 11th. According to the aforementioned article, the attendance capacity won't be as large as it was for the Michigan/MSU "Cold War" which attracted well over 70,000 at Spartan Stadium. Early estimates for the cold war at Lambeau will be around 30,000. The article also mentioned that due to trouble in getting an accomodating schedule, the Badgers could not get a WCHA opponent for this game (Michigan Tech would've most likely have been the WCHA opponent). OSU was able to adjust their schedule by re-scheduling a game versus Michigan State to play in this game.

Old
06-07-2005, 12:09 AM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
I'm still hoping for the BU/BC game at Fenway, personally

Old
06-07-2005, 12:28 AM
cazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
I've had a -DU/CC at Mile High stadium game- on my Christmas wish list for a long time but I gotta hand it to ya... a BC/BU at Fenway would be pretty dang cool
I'd break open the piggy bank to get to that game

Old
06-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy
I've had a -DU/CC at Mile High stadium game- on my Christmas wish list for a long time but I gotta hand it to ya... a BC/BU at Fenway would be pretty dang cool
I'd break open the piggy bank to get to that game
Good luck figuring out what the weather will be like at Mile High.

Old
06-08-2005, 11:52 PM
cazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
looking like a posibility....

(read down at the bottom)
http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...mbeau_0339.htm

Old
06-09-2005, 12:08 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Oi... If they had this game vs. Michigan at Ohio Stadium.. LEGENDARY!!!

Old
06-09-2005, 04:50 PM
DougKnowsBest

I would like to see a home and home series between OSU and Michigan one year. The first game played in the Shoe, and then the next dayor two a game in the Big House. BIg numbers would turn out for both.

Old
06-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Polydorus

One of the problems with having an outdoor hockey game in a football stadium is that the freezing unit will kill the grass. If either Michigan or Ohio State have natural grass the football people would put a quick stop to this project. At most Big 10 schools the football program makes 120 to 140 PERCENT of the entire athletic budget.

Old
06-10-2005, 04:07 PM
AdmiralPred

I wonder what they will do at Lambeau since it is natural?

In reality it won't matter if the field is natural, at least at Lambeau, they roll out new sod a few times a year anyway. I am sure a Big Ten football stadium fitted with 'natural' turf probably would be able to budget for it. How many Big Ten teams play on grass anyway?

Old
06-11-2005, 06:27 AM
Polydorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred
I wonder what they will do at Lambeau since it is natural?

In reality it won't matter if the field is natural, at least at Lambeau, they roll out new sod a few times a year anyway. I am sure a Big Ten football stadium fitted with 'natural' turf probably would be able to budget for it. How many Big Ten teams play on grass anyway?
The hockey game in Spartan Stadium would never have been played without the artificial turf. MSU had a home football game the following weekend I believe. The game at Lambeau is after the football season is over so the ground is already frozen and they have several months to repair any damage. Perhaps they plan to remove the grass at Lambeau and scrape the field level where the rink is to be placed. IIRC the biggest single expense for the game at MSU was the wooden platform to level the ice on the crowned field.

Not sure about the Big 10 stadiums. MSU now has grass and Minnesota plays indoors on turf. I think Michigan converted from grass back to turf but I'm not positive.

Old
06-13-2005, 08:22 AM
AdmiralPred

Despite Lambeau being the "Frozen Tundra", there is a system of heating coils underneath the few inches of sod, that are used during the NFL season. So, the field probably wouldn't be frozen like a normal open knoll would be. Maybe they'll peel the sod away, I don't know. But, the crowning effect of the field will have to be compensated for the same way as it was at Spartan Stadium so it would seem that a field being grass or turf would be irrelevant.

Old
06-16-2005, 02:26 PM
buckyhockey8

I'm pretty psyched about the badgers game at Lambeau. I'll have to get out the thermal underwear.

Closed Thread