HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Jokerit Helsinki 2014/2015 season talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
With "bit of" good luck Jokerit could have chance to sign Ville Leino and Teemu Selänne for next season.
Neither will happen. Leino for tax reasons and Teemu because it's not realistic at all. Besides, Westerlund isn't a fan of Leino these days.

Old
06-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
#Boudreau4Adams

vCash: 1068
Viasat is going to keep the rights for Jokerit games, right?

Got questions? Shoot me a PM or an email!

Old
06-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Viasat is going to keep the rights for Jokerit games, right?
There seems to be confusion if they have rights to Jokerit games or not.

Old
06-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Finnpin
"internet"

Old
06-25-2014, 10:27 AM
pulverapa

The last couple of weeks has seen three teams drop out of KHL for various of reasons, mostly economic reasons... If there would be a situation where Jokerit is forced to leave the KHL in the future, will they be allowed in to SM-Liiga the following season or will they have to start over from the bottom of the league system?

Old
06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Jablkon

Just my repost from KHL thread: Lev Prague ends up in KHL. www.isport.cz 15:52. I hope it will finally open eyes to KHL management. This amateur unsystematic wild expansion is just the biggest nonsense in european hockey....

Old
06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Finnpin
"internet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulverapa View Post
The last couple of weeks has seen three teams drop out of KHL for various of reasons, mostly economic reasons... If there would be a situation where Jokerit is forced to leave the KHL in the future, will they be allowed in to SM-Liiga the following season or will they have to start over from the bottom of the league system?
Kurri and Kohonen said couple weeks ago that they are welcomed to Liiga.

Kurri said that KHL's future as a league is not certainty because the salaries have gone too high.

Old
06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulverapa View Post
They'd probably get an exception and get straight back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jablkon View Post
Just my repost from KHL thread: Lev Prague ends up in KHL. www.isport.cz 15:52. I hope it will finally open eyes to KHL management. This amateur unsystematic wild expansion is just the biggest nonsense in european hockey....
I've saying this for years that the the league should work on creating an environment so that existing teams would have better chances of economic success, yet some uninformed people kept calling me a "KHL hater". I was right again.

Old
06-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Just to let you know, what you wrote has the exact opposite meaning of what you intended, because Lev actually won't end up in the KHL next season, unfortunately.

Old
06-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Jablkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
They'd probably get an exception and get straight back in.

I've saying this for years that the the league should work on creating an environment so that existing teams would have better chances of economic success, yet some uninformed people kept calling me a "KHL hater". I was right again.
Same opinion. Jokerit will be back in 5 years....

Old
06-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Jablkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Just to let you know, what you wrote has the exact opposite meaning of what you intended, because Lev actually won't end up in the KHL next season, unfortunately.
sorry for the mistake....

Old
06-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Ryker

Quote:
sorry for the mistake....
No need to get offended.

Old
06-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Same opinion. Jokerit will be back in 5 years....
I would even bet on Jokerit never even playing a single KHL game.

Old
06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
punchonico99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
What? It is certain that Jokerit will play in the KHL next season no matter what. It was said earlier, I don't know where.

Old
06-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchonico99 View Post
What? It is certain that Jokerit will play in the KHL next season no matter what. It was said earlier, I don't know where.
It becomes a lot less desirable playing KHL if several key teams go bankrupt and fans only have to play against some Siberians. And arent the Rotenberg brothers on the EU sanctions list?

Old
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
punchonico99

Quote:
It becomes a lot less desirable playing KHL if several key teams go bankrupt and fans only have to play against some Siberians. And arent the Rotenberg brothers on the EU sanctions list?
You should go read earlier pages in this thread, you'll get your answers.

Old
06-25-2014, 05:07 PM
QnebO

Quote:
No they aren't. Siberian argument is valid if bankrupts keep happening, don't see major effect for now. KHL has to do major efforts for stop being charity league and the teams must be started to run more like Jokerit is ran. Probably this slows down some propaganda writes who talk about "KHL the money league" and **** like that.. Get real.. no team can run forever only on charity. You need to have at least 80% of your outcomes covered with incomes that are sponsor deals or selling the main / side products / other business, so whole team doesn't go straight to bankrupt if your charity daddy stops supporting.

Better it would be to try to cover 100% with the incomes, like Jokerit has published is their goal. The situation is completely different from Praha. The budget is dependable on sales and sponsor deals. Jokerit is actually having their feet on better ground than some Russian teams. The strenght or druple currency weakens Russian teams. They might have ticket prices of 5€ when translated to our money. Jokerit might have ticket prices of 20-30€. If you are going to make only small profit %, its better to make that from more expensive products. Situation would be really good if our taxing wouldn't strike the advantage that otherwise is there against other teams. Thats why league should aim to more wealth areas of Europe, which is harder to be done than said. Still rather sell 5000 tickets in Germany or Finland than 10 000 in Ukraine or Mongolia: the player salaries are going to be same no matter where its played. The price of running team is not going to adjust by the economical situation of country and liquidity of people, but the potential for income is going to adjust by that.

Team in Siberia will need the business angel to cover even small budget, but only way I see running the league on solid basis is having less teams only in bigger cities (biggest cities of Russia have masses and have actually some wealth in the lower middle class, its not the same everywhere in Russia) and trying to spread the league in areas with more customer spending potential. Which is hard to do, and in Russian hands, I dont believe in it very strongly. I hope the time in KHL will be enjoyable, I think the whole league is going to disappear in 5-10 years or then it needs to be able to go trough a change.. Change for reality.

I give it from bottom of my ass: 60% the league disappears, 40% they accept the sitation and roll trough chances, after which they still can be big league if well played.

Last edited by QnebO: 06-25-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old
06-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
No they aren't. Siberian argument is valid if bankrupts keep happening, don't see major effect for now. KHL has to do major efforts for stop being charity league and the teams must be started to run more like Jokerit is ran. Probably this slows down some propaganda writes who talk about "KHL the money league" and **** like that.. Get real.. no team can run forever only on charity. You need to have at least 80% of your outcomes covered with incomes that are sponsor deals or selling the main / side products / other business, so whole team doesn't go straight to bankrupt if your charity daddy stops supporting.

Better it would be to try to cover 100% with the incomes, like Jokerit has published is their goal. The situation is completely different from Praha. The budget is dependable on sales and sponsor deals. Jokerit is actually having their feet on better ground than some Russian teams. The strenght or druple currency weakens Russian teams. They might have ticket prices of 5€ when translated to our money. Jokerit might have ticket prices of 20-30€. If you are going to make only small profit %, its better to make that from more expensive products. Situation would be really good if our taxing wouldn't strike the advantage that otherwise is there against other teams. Thats why league should aim to more wealth areas of Europe, which is harder to be done than said. Still rather sell 5000 tickets in Germany or Finland than 10 000 in Ukraine or Mongolia: the player salaries are going to be same no matter where its played. The price of running team is not going to adjust by the economical situation of country and liquidity of people, but the potential for income is going to adjust by that.

Team in Siberia will need the business angel to cover even small budget, but only way I see running the league on solid basis is having less teams only in bigger cities (biggest cities of Russia have masses and have actually some wealth in the lower middle class, its not the same everywhere in Russia) and trying to spread the league in areas with more customer spending potential. Which is hard to do, and in Russian hands, I dont believe in it very strongly. I hope the time in KHL will be enjoyable, I think the whole league is going to disappear in 5-10 years or then it needs to be able to go trough a change.. Change for reality.

I give it from bottom of my ass: 60% the league disappears, 40% they accept the sitation and roll trough chances, after which they still can be big league if well played.
I hate to be blunt but you are completely clueless on the Jokerit financial situation, past and present. Jokerit have not made profit in ages, they've covered it by transferring revenue from Hartwall Arena or Harkimo's pockets. If you seriously think they can cover a budget triple the size previously by merely ticket and sponsorship income, then I've got some land to sell you. The only thing's that different is that now Rotenberg's/Timtshenko will cover the loss.

Old
06-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Killion

Quote:
Good a place as any to start QnebO. And those odds seem about right to me. They'll be going through some pain but Im quite confident they'll tough it out. Leaner league yes, but Big League for sure. Smaller, more compact & elite.

Quote:
The only thing's that different is that now Rotenberg's/Timtshenko will cover the loss.
And therein lies the crux of it huh? They just might feel the investment (losses) is worth the gain long~range. Really hard to say. One things for sure Jussi, Jokerit fans & Helsinki are in for some villi ja epamaaraisiin times. Should prove interesting to watch, see how this all plays out huh?

Old
06-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
And therein lies the crux of it huh? They just might feel the investment (losses) is worth the gain long~range. Really hard to say. One things for sure Jussi, Jokerit fans & Helsinki are in for some villi ja epamaaraisiin times. Should prove interesting to watch, see how this all plays out huh?
Since 2002, Jokerit fans have had nothing but wild and uncertain times. I think we could have used a little more of stability once...

IMO, the big issue with the Russian owners has always been their ties with other, Russian, KHL clubs (SKA and Moscow Dynamo). It just screams of major conflict of interest that would simply not be possible in any other professional league in Europe.

Old
06-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Killion

Quote:
IMO, the big issue with the Russian owners has always been their ties with other, Russian, KHL clubs (SKA and Moscow Dynamo). It just screams of major conflict of interest that would simply not be possible in any other professional league in Europe.
Yes. Question's of integrity are only natural when so obvious a set of potential conflicts of interest as those that exist within the KHL are considered. I would assume the fanbase is somewhat wary of how the team fairs moving forward which creates a certain amount of instability on top of that which already exists. Hard to say. One would be reluctant to invest emotionally & financially in such. Guess we'll see, but Id like to see it succeed and hope it does. Really a decent brand of hockey but ya, proceed with cautious optimism, hope they get their act together.

Old
06-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Finnpin
"internet"

Quote:
I hate to be blunt but you are completely clueless on the Jokerit financial situation, past and present. Jokerit have not made profit in ages, they've covered it by transferring revenue from Hartwall Arena or Harkimo's pockets. If you seriously think they can cover a budget triple the size previously by merely ticket and sponsorship income, then I've got some land to sell you. The only thing's that different is that now Rotenberg's/Timtshenko will cover the loss.
They haven't but the team's account structure were different compared to other Liiga teams as many team operations were in Hartwall Areena's account books.

Quote:
Now, that's funny.

Old
06-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

vCash: 50
Quote:
If I was you, I wouldn't bet with money.

Old
06-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
They haven't but the team's account structure were different compared to other Liiga teams as many team operations were in Hartwall Areena's account books.
Yes but Hartwall itself hasn't been that profitable lately either and needed occasional help from previous owners Sanoma Oy and that rent assist from the city of Helsinki (around 300K€) which they won't be getting next year anymore.

Old
06-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Kennel

Quote:
Since 2002, Jokerit fans have had nothing but wild and uncertain times. I think we could have used a little more of stability once...
Since 1967 actually (and 1947 if you count Vesa). There was about 3 years of stability in the 90s but it was still pretty wild.

Closed Thread