HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carolina Hurricanes select C Elias Lindholm at #5

Old
07-01-2013, 12:43 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
His playmaking and quickness make him really an excellent pick for us. He brings things to the table that we lack, and he would complement many players on this team well. We don't have playmakers, our top two centers are behemoth shoot first power forwards who are both lefties. Now we have a playmaker for the left side half wall on the pp as well. He really fits well forus. I'd agree nichushkin is also something we lack, but that wasn't ever gonna happen. Monahan would've been fine, but he would've been pretty similar to what we have. Nurse or ristolainen would've made some sense too based on what we have on d for the future but its hard to say no to the appeal of a good forward. Less development and more easily quantified production.

On our team semin is a top playmaker. That's all you need to know about what we lack up front. This was a very good pick.
assuming he lives up to the projections or close thereof, who will he play with that has proven to be able to finish like say tlusty has? the tea line is pretty much set in stone out of necessity and there aren't many options to consider.

rocky7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
assuming he lives up to the projections or close thereof, who will he play with that has proven to be able to finish like say tlusty has? the tea line is pretty much set in stone out of necessity and there aren't many options to consider.
Skinner?

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Can't think of it that way though. Because barring a trade up (which didn't seem possible), Jones was never going to fall to us.
He fell to 4 to tease us

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Greg Wyshynski's pic (the author of the article) is every bit as awkward as any of these photos.

And he's not a teenager.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
If only we had two other proven 29+ goal scorers sitting on the 2nd line in desperate need of a playmaker.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Morgan Klimchuk has one eye significantly, noticeably, lower than the other. I wonder what kind of advantage that gives him.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Greg Wyshynski's pic (the author of the article) is every bit as awkward as any of these photos.

And he's not a teenager.
RIP cigar photo.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Cares View Post
He fell to 4 to tease us
Truth. The top 4 had their sights set on specific players and each of them got what they wanted.

Tampa losing to Florida at the end of last season really boned us.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
If only we had two other proven 29+ goal scorers sitting on the 2nd line in desperate need of a playmaker.
but...but jr said they don't have a need for goal scoring. they score ENOUGH.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Skinner?
actually skinner is a real wild card on this team now. fans have/are talking about trading him. the media has asked jr. maybe he will be traded but i suspect they are going to see how he does this year at least up to the dead line.

in a way with what they have they are really waiting on skinner. if he comes out flying and plays like he should be able to it would make a world of difference. he is a big unknown right now. stretching it a bit, he can make or break this current line-up.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:52 PM
golfpro827

Intersting note about Skinner...

"Forslund said hypothetically, if the Hurricanes wanted (Seth) Jones, they would have had to trade Jeff Skinner and the fifth pick in exchange for the Tampa Bay Lightning’s third pick."

That's A LOT to give up.

Personally, I'm happier with Skinner Sekera and Lindholm than Jones McBain and whomever we get at 35.

golfpro827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro827 View Post
Intersting note about Skinner...

"Forslund said hypothetically, if the Hurricanes wanted (Seth) Jones, they would have had to trade Jeff Skinner and the fifth pick in exchange for the Tampa Bay Lightning’s third pick."
Wouldn't surprise me it that was indeed the price, because Tampa would have never gotten Drouin at #5.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Jussijuice

If Tlusty really can score 30-40 goals next year, I'd guess he will be due $4-5 million and therefore be a primary trade option which jumbles the lineup. As great as TEA is, the Canes can't afford to keep it together with Skinner, Ruutu, and Jordan's salary.

On the bright side, I would guess he would be worth a pretty penny if he could pull that off (I believe he can).

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
If Tlusty really can score 30-40 goals next year, I'd guess he will be due $4-5 million and therefore be a primary trade option which jumbles the lineup. As great as TEA is, the Canes can't afford to keep it together with Skinner, Ruutu, and Jordan's salary.

On the bright side, I would guess he would be worth a pretty penny if he could pull that off (I believe he can).
If Tlusty gets 30-40 (I'd be ecstatic with 25), we'd have no choice but to give him a hefty contract and I'm sure we'd find a way to get him signed up. (aka buyout Ruutu if he has a bad year or trade him if he has a good one)

Old
07-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

So my absurd hypothetical yesterday was right.

JR DID get Yzerman on the phone, he DID try to trade up to 3, and thought the price was too steep.

I think everyone here except Kev is happy that Skinner is still on this roster, even if it means trading him for something else down the road.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

Quote:

based on what we saw him do last year i think he can as well. and tlusty is a good playmaker in his own right. based on the here and now, the two players that should never be split up are semin and tlusty. and it's a shame that this team couldn't afford to hang onto a $4-5 million goal scorer. again, if skinner doesn't pick it up pretty fast, he has to go.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post

JR DID get Yzerman on the phone, he DID try to trade up to 3, and thought the price was too steep.

I think everyone here except Kev is happy that Skinner is still on this roster, even if it means trading him for something else down the road.
C'mon, we both know that Kev would have complained that JR overpaid to move to #3.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post

yep. like someone else said, you hope that a draftee turns out to be as good as skinner. that said, and understanding the ups and downs, that patience regarding skinner has to end soon. this team needs him big time.

and, kev is right in a lot of ways imo.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

Quote:

you are probably right though. but my ifs are these. (based on jordan's here till retirement and jr's love for ruutu) IF tlusty continues to play well and IF skinner gets his **** together and IF lindholm pans out as a righty and IF semin has another good season, semin will be traded for a pile or to shed salary.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Nobody needs to be traded unless they're not performing to their contract. We can afford all of the guys in the near future and some.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Nobody needs to be traded unless they're not performing to their contract. We can afford all of the guys in the near future and some.
Tlusty and Faulk are due for big raises after this year. Unless the cap goes way up and PK is willing to foot the bill, I don't think that's the case.

That being said, a lot of things can happen in a year. I agree - there is no need to worry about trading a guy now to solve a problem fifteen months from now.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
Tlusty and Faulk are due for big raises after this year. Unless the cap goes way up and PK is willing to foot the bill, I don't think that's the case.

That being said, a lot of things can happen in a year. I agree - there is no need to worry about trading a guy now to solve a problem fifteen months from now.
The cap will be only this low for the upcoming season. It'll raise to $70 million once Faulk's and Tlusty's contracts needs updating, and it's projected to rise $2 million every year after that.

We will have to spend to the cap every year it seems, but playoff teams shouldn't have to worry about that (yes, I consider us a playoff team from here on out).

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Congratulations on a great pick! The fact that he outscored Nicklas Bäckstrom in his draftyear playing for the same team (Brynäs) if enough reason for you to be excited about him.

Kinda plays like Giroux, but with a hardnose-mentality like Forsberg.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I say we nickname him "Catfish" or "The Carolina Mudcat" in honor of the Single A minor league baseball affiliate located in Zebulon, NC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebulon,_North_Carolina
I saw someone wearing a Carolina Mudcats shirt today in the grocery store here in New Jersey. If that isn't a sign I don't know what is.

Welcome Catfish.

07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Caniac125330

We should be able to keep all our forwards and Faulk, keep in mind most people think the cap will skyrocket after next year, and PK seems pretty committed to winning another cup soon.

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote