HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Carolina Hurricanes select C Elias Lindholm at #5

Old
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
We still need to get Head Goose going for Eric. The hockey world needs more epic nicknames, they just haven't been there in recent years. Where's the Rocket? Where's the Golden Jet? Where's the Little Ball of Hate? It's disappointing.
We can call Skinner the Swan.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
What did Sutter and Welsh do to deserve a spot over Riley "The Future" Nash?
Not sure they really did anything, but Nash seemed to play himself down the lineup as the season went on. I'm optimistic that he could still be the answer to the 4C question, but he needs to keep improving if he wants to hold that spot.

Quote:
Sign some legit bottom six forwards FFS
Agreed. The Westgarth signing is looking even more boneheaded in the context of now lacking enough legit NHL players to fill a lineup. If a couple of prospects don't step up, we're going to have a bit of a crisis in our bottom 6 this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
People are still throwing Skinner-Jordan together. Even after the defensive nightmare that they were last year. Until Jeff shows he's made huge strides in his own zone, it seems weird to be going back to a pairing that has established it is incompetent in it's own zone.
I think that was part of the reason Skinner found himself at 3C last season. He showed glimpses of defensive ability, and a willingness to at least tread water in that respect. IMO this training camp and preseason are an excellent opportunity to give him more reps in a defensive role and send a message about what it will take to earn a top-6 spot in this lineup.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
bleedgreen

I think skinner is our best third line option at this point. I also think he's supposed to be a center regardless though. Be interesting to see if jr goes and signs Cullen or someone like that, and what we do with skinner then.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
SwedenCanada

It's said in swedish news some minutes ago that Carolina want to give him an honest chance this season and his agent confirms that it's up to Elias whether or not he wants to take the step this year.

"Carolina är jätteintresserade över att plocka över honom redan nu. Spelare brukar tycka att det är ganska coolt att spela i NHL och när ett erbjudande dyker upp är det svårt att säga nej", säger Lindholms agent, Peter Wallén

"Vi har inte kommit så långt som till ett beslut än, just nu är det Brynäs som gäller eftersom att han har ett kontrakt där. Sedan får vi se vad det blir. Allt är upp till Elias själv nu"

Translation:
Carolina are really interested in bringing him over already. Players usually thinks it's pretty cool to play in the NHL and when an offer appears it's hard to turn down, says Lindholms agent, Peter Wallén.

We haven't reached a decision yet, right now he's playing for Brynäs since he's got a contract with them. But we'll have to wait and see. Everything is up to Elias at this point

Article (in swedish): http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle17060256.ab

SwedenCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:43 AM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
As long as Jordan is going to be taking the tough matchups, his wingers should be picked with that in mind. Ruutu/Staal/Lindholm makes more sense.
Agreed, I think that would be a pretty good defensive line and would probably be a pain to play against. That'd free up Skinner to slide down to 3C, where hopefully he's more comfortable and can play against lesser defensive match-ups.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:47 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Problem with separating Skinner and everyone is that then you have Skinner and no one. Rask only has limited AHL experience, and we all penciled in Welsh as the 3rd line C before he was ready last offseason. If Rask isn't ready then you've got something like:

Tlusty // Eric // Semin
Lindholm // Jordan // Ruutu
Bowman // Skinner // Dwyer

Seems like a waste to me. And Skinner is already not being traded, so let's not even bring that up again.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Jussijuice

Putting Skinner with 2 grinders is a waste of a promising scoring forward. Would rather seem him traded before that happens.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:52 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Why? It's not like his linemates are ever afforded the opportunity to have the puck, anyway. Putting Skinner with two grinders maximizes the offensive capabilities of our other scoring forwards who will instead be afforded the opportunity to play without a puckhog/turnover machine dragging down their line.

The other option is to basically set almost 12 million/year on fire by having Jeff Skinner play on a shutdown line while Jordan Staal skates around aimlessly watching Skinner trying to pirouette around everybody.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Putting Skinner with 2 grinders is a waste of a promising scoring forward. Would rather seem him traded before that happens.
Well JR suggested differently in the end of year PC, said he'd like to pair him with a grinder. Wouldn't be surprised if we signed someone for his left wing and then tried Dalpe on the RW. Clearly not ideal, but I'm not sure I see a better place to put Skinner.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I'm not sure why you (AJJ) continue to beat that drum while Wally continues to beat his about the defensive deficiencies. It's not like Skinner is on the wrong side of 30 or even 25. He just became legally allowed to drink. There's still plenty of time to grow and develop. Logan Couture was just beginning to break into the NHL at Skinner's current age.

Not to say that Skinner will ever become Couture defensively, but the possibility to improve is still there. Towards the end of the season he got better with passing the puck IIRC, so let's see how things play out this year before saying "he always does this" or "he can't do that".

Old
07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I think skinner is our best third line option at this point. I also think he's supposed to be a center regardless though. Be interesting to see if jr goes and signs Cullen or someone like that, and what we do with skinner then.
Trade Skinner for Staal

It makes sense.

Our defense will be vastly improved, and we free up almost 2m in cap space.

Pit / Staal
Sekera / Faulk
Harrison / Gleason
Murphy

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Jussijuice

Skinner needs talent to play with, just because he doesn't mesh well with the Staal's play style doesn't mean he is flawed. I thought he showed decent chemistry with Dalpe at the end of the year. He deperately needs a playmaker and could use a mentality adjustment.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:59 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

That's great, maybe he will improve. Right now he is a defensive liability. Playing him with Jordan is insanity. Might as well sign Sanguinetti and give him shutdown minutes if we want to throw games so much.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

That's a completely asinine comparison and you know it.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
That's great, maybe he will improve. Right now he is a defensive liability. Playing him with Jordan is insanity. Might as well sign Sanguinetti and give him shutdown minutes if we want to throw games so much.
While a large portion of the defensive failings of that line combo can be put on Skinner, I don't think you can ignore the fact that Jordan wasn't all that great defensively himself. Prop him up in a defensive ivory tower if you want, he wasn't great IMO and he struggled with the rest of them.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

True, Sanguinetti had some games here and there where he displayed defensive competence. Skinner was bad 100% of the time.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:25 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Meanwhile people are penciling in Lindholm on the second line and he hasn't even played a second of NHL action. No matter what, you're taking a risk in who you want on the second line.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:27 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

If Lindholm tossed a puck into his own net every game he'd still be better than Skinner

Old
07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Jeff "Secondary Assist" Skinner's days as a 'Cane are numbered. I know this becau

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Just a thought...

Eric / Jordan / Semin
Tlusty / Lindholm / Ruutu
Skinner / Rask / Dwyer
Sutter / Welsh / Westgarth
I wouldn't break up the TEA line. If Skinner moves down to the 3rd line he needs another scoring threat to play with him (and somebody who can at least be mediocre on defense). So I'd move Dwyer down to the 4th line and probably either add a UFA or bring up Dalpe for that 3rd line.

You need a Dwyer on that 4th line or they will continually get pinned in their own zone. Dwyer's hockey sense and speed would be a nice compliment to the grit of Sutter and size of Welsh. Westgarth is 40 game a year guy in my book, only playing when necessary for Skinner protection.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:04 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
While a large portion of the defensive failings of that line combo can be put on Skinner, I don't think you can ignore the fact that Jordan wasn't all that great defensively himself. Prop him up in a defensive ivory tower if you want, he wasn't great IMO and he struggled with the rest of them.
when i say what i'm going to some think that i don't like jordan, which isn't true at all. other's have also alluded to this. jordan is in flux imo. he wants to be an offensive player and the team is giving him that opportunity and role. he is still young sure and he said he wants to improve offensively. however, that's just not his game. not the best way to use the guy for the team's best interest. he is caught in the middle and can't focus on what he does best.

skinner is an offensive guy not to be relied on to be a defensive guy. flip side of the jordan situation. i really think they are waiting on young skinner to turn his game around, to get it back. much will depend on camp. hopefully skinner turns it around because they need him big time. patience is fine under the circumstances and he deserves it but if he doesn't improve or get back to playing the role he can well, then he is the guy that should be moved for a nice return.

use jordan properly and give skinner the chance to pick it up this fall in a position of offense. i don't see the point in moving skinner around constantly trying to fit him in here or there just to keep him. he is what he is and if he can't produce he should be traded. skinner is in a tough spot right now. he is a key to this forward line-up.

guys like murphy and rask do have to step it up and be ready this fall. if the team isn't going to go out and make a couple of significant moves (i would be surprised if jr isn't finished now and prepared to role with what they have) skinner must be ready and a couple of prospects too.

hopefully lindholm can come in and contribute. sooner the better imo. they need everyone they have unless they are going to make more moves.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

If we want to keep Skinner as center on the third line and Jordan as the defensive 2nd line, then what it will work out to be is:

Sweet Tea
Ruutu-Jordan-Dwyer
XXX-Skinner-Lindhom

That would work well.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I'm not sure why you (AJJ) continue to beat that drum while Wally continues to beat his about the defensive deficiencies. It's not like Skinner is on the wrong side of 30 or even 25. He just became legally allowed to drink. There's still plenty of time to grow and develop. Logan Couture was just beginning to break into the NHL at Skinner's current age.

Not to say that Skinner will ever become Couture defensively, but the possibility to improve is still there. Towards the end of the season he got better with passing the puck IIRC, so let's see how things play out this year before saying "he always does this" or "he can't do that".
It's a square peg in a round hole. I think people are trying to squeeze Skinner in there because of the idea of having a top player not in the top 6 is abnormal.

I like Skinner on the 3rd line, because the kid will get his chances no matter who he's playing with. Even if he's playing with Bowman and Dwyer, Jeff Skinner will still generate offense by himself. And hopefully, he finds himself a 'Tlusty' type who develops a knack for reading off his play.

Will Skinner some day, maybe even as early as next season, develop defensively enough to play on Jordan's line? Sure. And if he's our best option there, so be it. But when I look at Jeff Skinner, I see offense. Lots and lots of offense. So I'm inclined to put him in a situation where his primary responsibility is his greatest strength.

And I'm also of the opinion that until he shows he can play defense, we don't expect for him to play good defense.

Re Lindholm: My gut tells me that Lindholm is going to develop like Sutter, in that he's going to be better defensively out of the gate, and his offense is going to take longer to develop.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Joe McGrath

This team has a Top 3, mid 6, and Bottom 3. So let's not get caught up in defining who belongs in the top6.

Tea Line - Top 3

JStaal, Skinner, Ruutu, Lindholm, Dwyer(like it or not), xxx - Mid 6

Bowman, Westgarth, Nash, Welsch, etc. - Bottom 3

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:21 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's a square peg in a round hole. I think people are trying to squeeze Skinner in there because of the idea of having a top player not in the top 6 is abnormal.
There's a reason it's abnormal -- there is a finite amount of prime offensive time in each game, and the top offensive lines get the lion's share of it.

If Skinner is on the 3rd line, he is going to be getting not only less ice time, but specifically less time in the offensive zone. That's a necessity by virtue of the fact that the TEA line is one of the best in the league and will get a ton of prime opportunities; and the fact that Jordan is specifically transitioning away from being a checking center. In order to accomplish those goals, the top two lines have to consume most of the key offensive shifts.

So, even if the competition against his line is weaker, Skinner is going to have to defend against them first if he wants to get the puck at all. Now all of a sudden the guy who's assigned to produce "lots and lots of offense" is stuck in a two-way role. That's no way to jump-start his game.

Something has to give, either Skinner learns to play with Jordan or one of them changes his style.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote