HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets select D Josh Morrissey (1/13)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Morrissey pick?
Love it 33 14.73%
Like it 73 32.59%
Meh 56 25.00%
Don't like it 28 12.50%
Hate it 34 15.18%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2013, 02:31 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby18 View Post
Good points. All of them.

I actually love what the Jets did overall in this draft, including the Frolik trade, as I think a lot of needs were addressed. I love that they finally broke from the mold and went for some talent over just size. They even drafted from outside North America! My only concern was the value associated with the 1st round pick, but I'm slowly getting over it as it's done and no amount of whining will change it.

I do recall ATL not having a number of mid-to-high picks as Waddell was busy running the Thrashers into the ground. But picks like Valabik, Leveille and Bourret were all 1st round busts (Valabik and Bourret 10th and 16th overall), and the 2004 draft saw nine picks but only Valabik played more than two NHL games... Blech...

And I've been told that the 2011 draft was a whirlwind with the move to WPG and that the scouts were given even more say. That really makes me mad at Comeau, as those two picks were burned on Yuen...

My only gripe from the past three drafts are on the 1st-round values of Scheifele and Morrissey, and at the time having Trouba ranked ahead of Forsberg. That's it. I'm not sour on the players at all, and I really want them to succeed. But with Comeau's track record of 1st round picks...
yup some big holes in the draft results. McCartney points out that Marcel has had a penchant for the underdog and Marcel is quoted as saying he really likes high-character players. The good news is this year we went for a few very high skilled kids and our first 4 picks are all really good players with high ceilings.

I loved the Trouba pick at the time and literally jumped out of my seat at a crowded party where nobody was into the draft but had it on the TV in the background.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Blue Shakehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Fair enough and some of this sounds a bit like my reaction surge. At first I was surprised but upon review there is allot to like about the pick IMHO. I was ok with not dropping down when I found out this was definitely a priority pick for the Jets (after we missed Domi). One other small point it sounded like his GM in PA Campese felt Josh was going between 10 to 20 based on which teams were asking the most questions and showing the most interest in him. He didn't name names but the Jets were not alone in that range and Bruno felt he wasn’t making it out of the top 20.
One thing that has me both really excited and concerned is the fact that defensemen tend to be a much bigger gamble than forwards in the top end of the draft. It really comes to light if you look at the 2008 draft and how big of a crapshoot it really is:

Draft Position and Player

2. Drew Doughty
3. Zach Bogosian
4. Alex Pietrangelo
5. Luke Schenn
12. Tyler Myers
13. Colten Teubert
15. Erik Karlsson
17. Jake Gardiner
19. Luca Sbisa
20. Michael Del Zotto
27. John Carlson
32. Vyacheslav Voynov
38. Roman Josi
40. Aaron Ness
41. Yann Sauve
42. Patrick Wiercioch
43. Justin Schultz
46. Colby Robak
50. Cameron Gaunce
52. Brandon Burlon
53. Travis Hamonic

Blue Shakehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:46 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post
One thing that has me both really excited and concerned is the fact that defensemen tend to be a much bigger gamble than forwards in the top end of the draft. It really comes to light if you look at the 2008 draft and how big of a crapshoot it really is:

2. Drew Doughty
3. Zach Bogosian
4. Alex Pietrangelo
5. Luke Schenn
12. Tyler Myers
13. Colten Teubert
15. Erik Karlsson
17. Jake Gardiner
19. Luca Sbisa
20. Michael Del Zotto
27. John Carlson
32. Vyacheslav Voynov
38. Roman Josi
40. Aaron Ness
41. Yann Sauve
42. Patrick Wiercioch
43. Justin Schultz
46. Colby Robak
50. Cameron Gaunce
52. Brandon Burlon
53. Travis Hamonic
Yea pretty tough to forecast........look at Hamonic at 53 and how good he has turned out to be? That was an insane draft for D talent.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Huffer

Quote:
All fair points. Who knows if he tried to move down. Perhaps I'm stuck on seeing DET win the draft (again) by adding a 2nd and still get Mantha.
If your concern with the Jets draft was that they reached for Morrissey and /or should have traded down and therefore have a problem with the value the Jets got with the pick, how can you say Detroit won the draft?

They were the 5th WORST in average reach per pick, and were 2nd WORST overall in total reach from consensus.

Conversely, the Jets were 6th BEST in average reach per pick, and 2nd BEST overall in total reach from consensus.

Sure, you can say the Jets may have made a lot of those gains from the Petan and Lodge picks, but it's a little hypocritical IMO to laud Detroit for "winning the draft" and the Jets as a org that continually reaches, when the facts (at least this year, I don't have the last two years), shows exactly the opposite.

Bertuzzi at 58? Hmmmmmmm.

The Jets had an absolutely great draft, and multiple sources have the Jets in the top 3.

Quote:
My only gripe from the past three drafts are on the 1st-round values of Scheifele and Morrissey, and at the time having Trouba ranked ahead of Forsberg. That's it. I'm not sour on the players at all, and I really want them to succeed. But with Comeau's track record of 1st round picks...
Considering you were upset that they took Trouba over Forsberg, you would think you would be willing to at least wait more than a day to worry about this pick as well. Because unless something drastically changes, taking Forsberg would have been a colossal failure over Trouba (at least to this point).

We are not going to know rightly or wrongly about this pick for at least a year, maybe two.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Another thing with Comeau and his history (yup I'm defending him):

GMs usually direct which characteristics to go after (skating, size, etc), while it's scouts jobs to order and rate players by these characteristics.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Another thing with Comeau and his history (yup I'm defending him):

GMs usually direct which characteristics to go after (skating, size, etc), while it's scouts jobs to order and rate players by these characteristics.
also i seem to remember hearing about a certain characteristic in particular being emphasised by ownership in the last two or three years that, as far as i know, has 0 bearing on how good of a hockey player you become.....

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Just noticed Morrissey mentioned that +/- is a team stat in his interview......

#fancystatsagrees

<3

Old
07-02-2013, 07:56 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

Josh Morrissey PA Raiders Splash.jpg

http://www.raiderhockey.com/

Relistening to Josh's interview on TSN 1290 from Sunday. He is very well spoken and mature for an 18 year old.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:59 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post

2. Drew Doughty
3. Zach Bogosian
4. Alex Pietrangelo
5. Luke Schenn
12. Tyler Myers
13. Colten Teubert
15. Erik Karlsson
17. Jake Gardiner
19. Luca Sbisa
20. Michael Del Zotto
27. John Carlson
32. Vyacheslav Voynov
38. Roman Josi
40. Aaron Ness
41. Yann Sauve
42. Patrick Wiercioch
43. Justin Schultz
46. Colby Robak
50. Cameron Gaunce
52. Brandon Burlon
53. Travis Hamonic
My god what a draft for defensemen...

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Hey there boys and girls, haven't posted here in a LONG time. Like, months and months. I do read this site often but for some reason rarely post. Huh. :/

Anyways after the selection was made I said "WHO???" really loudly. Angrily. After the pick was made I was fuming, cursing up a storm. Why? Who knows, probably because I didn't know much about him. Also I'm an idiot sports fan at times.

It wasn't until a few hours later, and then most of the day yesterday, when I started doing a bunch of reading. Read every scouting report I could, read about why Chevy picked him, read newspaper articles about his reaction to being picked and you know what?

I really like this selection now.

Plus, and this is OT for this thread, I think the Petan selection is going to be gangbusters in the future.

Something else I realized (again after reading lots of sites) is this: Central Scouting's rankings aren't the be all and end all of rankings.

You guys can resume your conversation, just wanted to have my say.

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:22 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

On H & L today they played an interview with Josh they did at the draft and he said that he models his game after Letang. I know we are using that comp but its interesting when you hear it come out of the kids mouth.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Whileee

Hugh is going after the budget realities.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Moar video

Old
07-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Huffer

Quote:

Moar video
2:40 was a great rush. 3:25 a nice goal.

He has a nice mix of physicality (looks like he loves to hit), and looks like he is not afraid to pinch.

Plus, he was one of the Assistant Captains as well.

Can't wait to see more of this kid.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:05 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
2:40 was a great rush. 3:25 a nice goal.

He has a nice mix of physicality (looks like he loves to hit), and looks like he is not afraid to pinch.

Plus, he was one of the Assistant Captains as well.

Can't wait to see more of this kid.
His breakouts are near pro-level which is pretty sick at that age.
Having a guy on the leftside who can help push the play forward not named Enstrom will be nice.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
His breakouts are near pro-level which is pretty sick at that age.
Having a guy on the leftside who can help push the play forward not named Enstrom will be nice.
He also managed to quite nicely outproduce the draft love of a few HFJetsers in Gauthier during the tournament.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
He also managed to quite nicely outproduce the draft love of a few HFJetsers in Gauthier during the tournament.
I am much happier with Morrissey than I would have been with Gauthier. His skill and competitiveness jump out at you. Gauthier would have felt like more of a reach at #13 to me, given that there were a lot of solid forwards available all the way into round 2 (e.g. Erne, Zykov).

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Boreal

I really like the pick - having taken time to reflect upon it. It is nice to have another high end skilled talent in the pipeline. Our blueline youth is looking pretty good.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:08 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:

Moar video
I've seen this video before, but his rush that he starts at 2:41 is just sick. Such a smooth skater, dekes a check and does a Byfuglien-esque wrap around the net to increase OZ time. Easily my favourite part of the video.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith

Heard on the Rona Roundtable that he's already up to 190 lbs. Maybe he'll make an impact sooner than we think (not this year obviously).

Thesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:52 AM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I've seen this video before, but his rush that he starts at 2:41 is just sick. Such a smooth skater, dekes a check and does a Byfuglien-esque wrap around the net to increase OZ time. Easily my favourite part of the video.
He goes around the forward like a knife through warm butter... as we'd say in german

GermanJetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
truck
HFB Partner

A must read:
http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/7/4/...josh-morrissey

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Quoted for truth.

Pretty stunning how much more offense Morrissey put up at 5 on 5 over guys like Pulock. Even saying that I was a person who was firmly parked in the Pulock > Morrissey camp after watching a lot of WHL this year. Definitely makes me re-think some of my valuations.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:17 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
If I'm reading that correctly, Morrissey had 22.6 minutes/game against the top QoC, almost all of his production came via 5v5, and he ranks higher than all but 3 in points per game. That is impressive, indeed. What was his PP time like?

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:17 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Quote:
This is really encouraging

JetsWillFly4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote