HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft: 1st Pick - Darnell Nurse (D)

Old
06-30-2013, 04:10 PM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
looking at the final rankings on TSN for these players, Nurse was actually pretty consistently around the 7-8 spot.

Strangely, Ristolainen was ranked all over the place.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:14 PM
pcanuck

This was an excellent pick. Nurse has family roots in sports - he'll be a well conditioned player and he's going to get even bigger. He's going to be the next Pronger. Regardless, he's a massive body and aggressive. We need that - we have too many soft Dmen.

I'm glad they didn't trade the pick! I anticipate they will sign Dan Ellis at FA to get a great backup for Dubnyk.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Bryanbryoil

Also Nurse would've tuned Teubert had they fought as draft eligible kids, this kid can throw 'em.

06-30-2013, 04:18 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
It seems as if people make no distinction between dominating against juniors and a guy that can already play against men, for instance Risto.
That's because people are expecting draft decisions to be made based on long-term thinking, not short term. This is for exactly the same reason that you draft "BPA" - with the caveat (that MacT has actually specifically stated) that "BPA" starts to become a nebulous concept once you get out of the first few picks. Oilers were drafting from a group of consensus "BPAs" that included Nichushkin and Nurse, and maybe a few others, so it's hard to complain too much about the pick. I would have gone for Nichushkin, assuming he didn't totally bomb at the combine, but Nurse looks to have been next on the "consensus" board.

I think this long-term thinking is especially important when it comes to physical readiness - if you focus too much on physical readiness of prospects, you end up drafting early-developers like Jani Rita who are a man amongst boys when they're 18, then end up being an extraordinarily ordinary man amongst men once everyone else catches up to their physical development.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Also Nurse would've tuned Teubert had they fought as draft eligible kids, this kid can throw 'em.
To be clear you were stating that about Teubert.

Remember?

I was the lacky suggesting Teubert didn't have a clue how to fight and only had some success with it due to being able to physically dominate smaller combatants.

Throw guys like this against pro fighters that can really toss, and know the fight game inside out and its a whole other world.

In anycase I think the fighting angle is being overstated. No team should even consider spending a first round pick on the basis of whether somebody can fight or not anyway. Its really a non starter.
Additionally I've heard some Weber comparisons. Shea was picked 47th afairc. A very astute pick at that number. I don't think picking big D is a great pick at 7.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:23 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

Remember?

I was the lacky suggesting Teubert didn't have a clue how to fight and only had some success with it due to being able to physically dominate smaller combatants.

Throw guys like this against pro fighters that can really toss, and know the fight game inside out and its a whole other world.

In anycase I think the fighting angle is being overstated. No team should even consider spending a first round pick on the basis of whether somebody can fight or not anyway. Its really a non starter.
Additionally I've heard some Weber comparisons. Shea was picked 47th afairc. A very astute pick at that number. I don't think picking big D is a great pick at 7.
I think you are reaching here. Nurse would be gone 1 or 2 spots later, if the Oilers went for a forward. Teams regularly draft big D in the top 10. Not all of these guys pan out, but if they do, then you could have a Pronger/Weber/Chara on your hands.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:23 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
fine. interesting pick. Pronger comparisons is pretty lofty but we'll see.

now the real bulk of the team building begins.
the Oilers are losing out on trades because the depth of the organization is too polarized between studs and inconsistent garbage.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:25 PM
SometimesY

He is a really nice kid in interviews seems like he would fit in well with RNH and Schultz type, big and skilled and from a family that knows how to compete... I like him.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:26 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i dont really understand the pronger comparisons b/c pronger was never really a great skater, he was just amazing at gap control, stick work, and was impossible to beat 1 on 1.

Some reports make it sound like he skates like PK.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:28 PM
McSaviour

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
i dont really understand the pronger comparisons b/c pronger was never really a great skater, he was just amazing at gap control, stick work, and was impossible to beat 1 on 1.

Some reports make it sound like he skates like PK.
If he turns out like Subban but with a faster development ill be happy

McSaviour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:31 PM
McShogun99

I honestly thought we were going to end up with Nikushkin before the draft started. Happy with the Nurse pick though. There's obviously a reason why 9 teams passed on him.

McShogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
That's because people are expecting draft decisions to be made based on long-term thinking, not short term. This is for exactly the same reason that you draft "BPA" - with the caveat (that MacT has actually specifically stated) that "BPA" starts to become a nebulous concept once you get out of the first few picks. Oilers were drafting from a group of consensus "BPAs" that included Nichushkin and Nurse, and maybe a few others, so it's hard to complain too much about the pick. I would have gone for Nichushkin, assuming he didn't totally bomb at the combine, but Nurse looks to have been next on the "consensus" board.

I think this long-term thinking is especially important when it comes to physical readiness - if you focus too much on physical readiness of prospects, you end up drafting early-developers like Jani Rita who are a man amongst boys when they're 18, then end up being an extraordinarily ordinary man amongst men once everyone else catches up to their physical development.
My comments were not in isolation, they were clearly responses to suggestions that Nurse fills our need now. Which simply isn't the case. You don't draft to fill present need. Especially in the case of D which take years to develop.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Eytinge

How's his shot? Does he have a big time clapper at the point?

Encouraging to see that he's a very good skater at his size. Oilers seem to be adding a ton of mobile big defencemen to their corps.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:38 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:

Remember?

This is a bit of a concern of mine as well. Admittedly, I haven't seen the guy play at all. I just hope his dominance in junior wasn't due to size alone, but actual hockey qualities.

From the reports I've read it sounds like he is good positionally and has good lateral movement, so he should already be light years ahead of Teubert.

McDreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I think you are reaching here. Nurse would be gone 1 or 2 spots later, if the Oilers went for a forward. Teams regularly draft big D in the top 10. Not all of these guys pan out, but if they do, then you could have a Pronger/Weber/Chara on your hands.
Ironically Chara was a 56th pick, Weber a 47th pick, kind of supporting my view its not necessary, or even advisable to pick a D this high unless he's a clear world class talent like Pronger was.

jmo that I think a lot of the scouting is crapshoot evaluation with players sometimes going up and down as wildly as the stockmarket. Its a very in-exacting science. Particularly as it befits large junior D. I've noted pretty consistent over evaluation of large imposing D at junior level. With apparent operative assumption that domination continues. Really though this is without substantiation. Size, growth is not linear, is not a known, and with further growth erroneously assumed in this. An equally valid assumption might be that some of todays large junior kids may have had their growth spurt sooner, rather than later.

That two of the most dominant D in the world were picked as low as they were kind of hiliting this.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old
06-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Jtown

Congrats on the pick, this is who i wanted the flyers to get along with most flyer fans. He is going to be a stud for 15 years.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
fine. interesting pick. Pronger comparisons is pretty lofty but we'll see.

now the real bulk of the team building begins.
the Oilers are losing out on trades because the depth of the organization is too polarized between studs and inconsistent garbage.
He clearly lacks Pronger's offensive skills. It's other areas that draw the comparison IMO, size and grit.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

if i were a betting man i'd sure throw some on one of Replacement/IAtL destroying whoever we pick in the first or dismantling any trade we'd do using the pick.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Really wanted a centerman but this kid sounds like a really good character. The Hall/Yakupov type. Competitive, gritty, great work-ethic.

Sounds like a good add.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:45 PM
seabass11

As someone born and raised in the Soo and have seen Nurse play multiple times, your team will not regret this pick. He is going to be an absolute stud. I give him 1 more year with the Hounds and then he'll be going to war for you.

seabass11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:

Remember?

Show me a fight that Nurse looked like Teubert in and then we'll talk. Nurse is a much better skater and fighter of that there is little doubt.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
if i were a betting man i'd sure throw some on one of Replacement/IAtL destroying whoever we pick in the first or dismantling any trade we'd do using the pick.
Well given that outside of first overall picks the Oilers haven't shown much success at their other picks and wasted a pick on Moroz as recently as last year I'm not sure how I'm supposed to have more confidence in their judgement.

More my concern is that Oilers rearrange D like deckchairs and seldom hang onto D for long (hopefully this is changing) and so it seems so odd to invest so heavily in a position the org historically has shown so little loyalty to. Who's our longest serving D? Smid? \

Consider what the average length of time spent here is for a D. Its a turnstile. I have a hard time suspending judgement that this just might continue.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:52 PM
phaedrusDH

The fact that stands out for me in comparisons to Teubert is that Nurse was OHL scholastic player of the year. You got to be smart to play D at a high calibre. If you consider that with his other tools I think he's got a much better chance at making it than Teubert. Teubert never had the smarts to translate his game to a higher level and, I think, has become discouraged as a result.

Speed sounds like it will be a big difference-maker as well.

I'm going to have to catch the Soo games when they're in town this year.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Show me a fight that Nurse looked like Teubert in and then we'll talk. Nurse is a much better skater and fighter of that there is little doubt.
Or alternately you could note being wrong when you argued the point about Teubert so fervently in the past.

Hey all I'm saying is I've seen you say this exact same thing before about a prospect. You were also very high on Peckham. I think its fair to bring that up. This is clearly your type of D.

But your type of D hasn't worked out so well here.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-30-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old
06-30-2013, 04:53 PM
SDig14

How are we even discussing Teubert as a comparison?

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote