HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
06-30-2013, 10:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Yep. Morin is the exact type of player that we really can't formulate a solid opinion on until we see how he develops. In reality, he's so raw that we can't even say that he'll be a ______ defenseman. He certainly could develop an offensive game between now and when he cracks the nhl lineup.
I'm doing a self-research breakdown now of all the tall blue-chip defensemen taken since 2008 and how their offense progressed.

I'm doing 6'2 and up.

Only one of the 14 I've added onto the chart with Morin is younger. 11 of the 14 were at least 5 months older.

It's something to think about. Half a year is big in a teenager's development.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:58 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Look at the rankings and you will see that is exactly what happened. He was 44th in March on Craig Button's list. He then moved him up to 32 in April. He then found himself 13th in June (there were no May rankings). What are the only two events during that time? The playoffs and the U18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
You know Craig Button is not our GM right?

Maybe its possible that the Flyers liked what they saw from Morin... all year long? Maybe? No?
Thanks for making my point.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Montreal was trying to acquire this pick to select Morin too, so I guess Homer & Co. weren't the only ones who thought he was worthy of this selection.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Thats the point of drafting BPA...What if in 3 years when Morin is ready we have addressed that PMD need through trades/free agency? You always take the guy you feel is best available because that suits you better in the long run. Whether you feel Morin was the best available, which most likely isnt the case, he could end up being the best defensemen drafted outside of the top 10. I still would have picked Morrissey, but theres a reason you dont draft for "needs".
Do you honestly believe that Morin was BPA at 11??? HONESLTY???

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I'd classify him handling the puck as a minus also. Watching the U18 highlights he was having a lot of trouble with the puck.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Habs tried hard to move up and draft Morin with the Flyers pick.

The Canadian has had discussions with the Philadelphia Flyers in order to get their hands on the 11th universal choice, Sunday afternoon in the first round of the draft.

Only problem: the two clubs had the same player in their sights, the Quebec champion Samuel Morin.

"We were willing to pay the asking price, but the team finally decided to keep their choice, supported the DG Marc Bergevin. It was not available. "

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...muel-morin.php

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Hate to say it but in your eyes or Flyers eyes? He does have high potential. From ISS to CS to Mckenzie to guys like Pronman, every single body has stated that he has a high risk, high reward factor.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:03 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Habs tried hard to move up and draft Morin with the Flyers pick.

The Canadian has had discussions with the Philadelphia Flyers in order to get their hands on the 11th universal choice, Sunday afternoon in the first round of the draft.

Only problem: the two clubs had the same player in their sights, the Quebec champion Samuel Morin.

"We were willing to pay the asking price, but the team finally decided to keep their choice, supported the DG Marc Bergevin. It was not available. "

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...muel-morin.php
well well, that makes this pick seem a lot better

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:03 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
"Honeslty" no, I dont. Its impossible to tell who actually is. Like I said I would have picked Morrissey.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Montreal was trying to acquire this pick to select Morin too, so I guess Homer & Co. weren't the only ones who thought he was worthy of this selection.
I didn't hear this.

That said, it makes more sense for Montreal a little. They have a guy in Beaulieu that they love as a PMD. They don't really have a blue-chip SDD in the pipeline outside of Tinordi.

Discounting Tinordi, they certainly don't have legitimate size on their back-end either, whether on the team or in their pool.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:05 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I REALLLLLLY hope that Pronger had a lot of (if not most of) the say in this pick. Wasn't big on Zadorov, but would have preferred him there. Definitely would have preferred Pulock there. Wanted a D-Man badly, but didn't expect Domi to be there, so woulda loved him too.

But I'm warming up to Morin. I think if we're lucky, we can see a blend of Tyler Myers, Braydon Coburn, and maybe....maybe Chris Pronger. Give him his time to develop.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Between him and Morrissey?

Yes.

I liked Rychel and Shinkaruk as well, but all things considered, if you're looking BPA and see a forward and defenseman at the same level, and you need defensemen, it's a no-brainer.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
??? Seriously??? If we knew HERE that Schneider was being shopped then why the hell didn't/wouldn't Holmgren at least pick up the phone??? If it's true that homer said "Lou oulled that one out of his butt" and Homer was clueless that this was the asking price for Schneider then he really does need to go. That's just unacceptable to NOT at least inquire about someone that the freaking MEDIA has been reporting as a player being shopped for the last few days leading up to the draft.
The comment about Lou pulling it out of his butt with Schneider was mine....you misread the post..the actual quote from Holmgren was in quotes and I'll repost it below.

Having said this ....Lou was shrewd and got one of the biggest heists. This is why he's one of the better GM's in the league. He basically fixed his goalie situation in 1 offseason..while our GM's (Clarke previously and now Holmgren) have yet to figure it out...

Quote:
Q: On his reaction to the Devils trade for Schneider

"I talked to Lou a couple hours before the draft and he said he was working on something big, we'll see how it goes. You never know. Obviously Marty's not going to play forever, so I think that's a good move for the Devils. Even though Lou wants him to play forever."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:07 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Dude, who else would be? 10-25 in this draft were all indistinguishable. What makes one better than the other? You could make an argument for us taking Shinkaruk, Pulock, Morrissey, Mueller, etc. etc. And, yes that includes, SAM MORIN.

It's hilarious how much you argue out of both sides out of your mouth.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:07 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
maybe the flyers felt that Morin was the bpa? i think you're analyzing it too much. Maybe they have something up their sleeve before the season starts?

plus you just contradicted yourself, claiming that someone is as clueless as the rest of us, then going on to pinpoint what you're so sure morin will be. Maybe he develops more of an offensive game. we don't know. The fact that pulock, morrissey etc. were on the board when we picked Morin doesn't really make me that angry about the pick, because while i like those guys, I'm not really that sure that any of those guys will be more effective players than morin.

What I'm pissed about is that we had a fairly high pick in a good draft and really didn't do much to improve our team now nor for the future. We would have been a better team tomorrow and in 5 years and in 10 years if we had traded our pick for Schneider than if we had used our pick on Morin. If we had made a move that hurts and traded coutireir and our pick at 11 for Nashvilles pick at 4 and drafted Jones then we'd have been a better team today and in the future.

I love Coots and don't want to trade him but lets be real here, Coots is NOT a difference maker and neither is Morin. JONES most likely will be. Maybe Jones doesn't pan out but he certainly has a much better chance to be a real difference maker than either of those 2. Give me a choice between Jones and Coots + Morin and I take Jones every time. Based upon how quickly Nashville selected Jones, homer didn't even call them.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'd classify him handling the puck as a minus also. Watching the U18 highlights he was having a lot of trouble with the puck.
Particularly on the point. He has some wobbly control and fluidity.

Once he gets the puck settled, he makes crisp passes, but the speed of the game is much faster in the NHL. He's going to need to get more confident on the puck to make it work.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I didn't hear this.

That said, it makes more sense for Montreal a little. They have a guy in Beaulieu that they love as a PMD. They don't really have a blue-chip SDD in the pipeline outside of Tinordi.

Discounting Tinordi, they certainly don't have legitimate size on their back-end either, whether on the team or in their pool.
Well everybody's always in the market for size. I don't think they were currently looking at their roster when thinking of this pick, like the Flyers they probably thought he was the BPA at that pick.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Hate to say it but in your eyes or Flyers eyes? He does have high potential. From ISS to CS to Mckenzie to guys like Pronman, every single body has stated that he has a high risk, high reward factor.
True but they all widely disagreed on where he was worth the risk. Pronman and ISS did not even have him in the 1st round., CS had him as the 23rd NA skater and that's not even including the Euros like Barkov, Lindholm, Nichuskin, and Risto. So basically they saw him as a back end of the first/second round type of pick.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
What I'm pissed about is that we had a fairly high pick in a good draft and really didn't do much to improve our team now nor for the future. We would have been a better team tomorrow and in 5 years and in 10 years if we had traded our pick for Schneider than if we had used our pick on Morin. If we had made a move that hurts and traded coutireir and our pick at 11 for Nashvilles pick at 4 and drafted Jones then we'd have been a better team today and in the future.

I love Coots and don't want to trade him but lets be real here, Coots is NOT a difference maker and neither is Morin. JONES most likely will be. Maybe Jones doesn't pan out but he certainly has a much better chance to be a real difference maker than either of those 2. Give me a choice between Jones and Coots + Morin and I take Jones every time. Based upon how quickly Nashville selected Jones, homer didn't even call them.
yeah, i hear you. i would have made that trade too. we don't know though, maybe homer tried to call them and Nashville wasn't prepared to listen to offers for the pick. i mean, could you blame them?

but yeah, i was throwing things when i saw nashville walking up to the stage.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Did you see the asking price for picks like that? It was reported teams were looking for two top/good prospects and the 1st to grab the picks.

Think Couturier, Laughton, & 11th. You would have done that?

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Right now, Nashville is juggling far too many defensemen in their lineup.

Who's to say we aren't calling right now inquiring about someone else? Maybe Weber?

Laughton (Couturier) + Read + 1st 2014 + Morin (as a slower developing defenseman)

You've at least got his attention on 3 1st rounders including Couturier...

Don't think we're done yet. That doesn't necessarily mean Weber, but there's Kulikov and a ton of other options out there.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Per Holmgren..

Quote:
Q: Are you surprised there weren't more moves around the league?

"There's still four or five days before free agency starts, so there's plenty of times for lots of action around the league in terms of getting the cap situation teams face figured out. At the draft, sometimes you get locked into just drafting, and you forget about other things. I know Chicago traded a couple players today off their roster for draft picks, but I don't believe anybody else did. There's a couple other minor trades, but when you get to the draft, sometimes it's just the draft."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
True but they all widely disagreed on where he was worth the risk. Pronman and ISS did not even have him in the 1st round., CS had him as the 23rd NA skater and that's not even including the Euros like Barkov, Lindholm, Nichuskin, and Risto. So basically they saw him as a back end of the first/second round type of pick.
Oh I agree and if I could I'd would have called Homer and tell him to take the MTL trade. To the Flyers though they seem in awe with Morin.

I do think we gotta give it time. Morin does have some high upside even if there is a low floor. He won't sniff the NHL for like 4 years anyway

Old
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I didn't hear this.

My sense before the draft was that swinging for the fences makes a lot of sense when you have other prospects in the pipeline. The Flyers cupboard is relatively barren on the backend with only Gostisbehere seemingly projecting as a top 4 at this stage. Other guys could develop there spontaneously or a guy like Alt could have the light turn on, but those seem like hopes and prayers at this stage.

Once you develop a solid core of prospects, swinging for the fences makes a lot more sense because if you miss, well, you've got 2, 3, 4 other guys waiting in the wings to cover. When we selected Morin, we swung for the fences with little to cover for a bust (which when you select 11, the D-man really should be a top 4). Now, getting Hagg changes things for the better... Even if Morin busts, Hagg may very well be there to cover for it.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Oh I agree and if I could I'd would have called Homer and tell him to take the MTL trade. To the Flyers though they seem in awe with Morin.

I do think we gotta give it time. Morin does have some high upside even if there is a low floor. He won't sniff the NHL for like 4 years anyway
I doubt Montreal's discussion involved Beaulieu, but if it did...man, I would've thought hard.