HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/NJD] Canucks trade G Cory Schneider to Devils for 9th Overall Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Tanevian*

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
We may or may not have that tending. Hence the reason the owner flew all the way to Florida.
"Hi Roberto, so you know both you and I will be here long after Gillis is gone".

[mod]

Last edited by Dado: 06-30-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Ha he responded!

Old
skrymir2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 2m
Holy justification, Batman! Gillis on Schneider: "Our plan 3 yrs ago was develop Cory and move him for a high pick and that's what we did."

Do we believe him
Sure because 3 years ago that probably was the plan, 2 years ago that plan may have started to change, 1 year ago it had changed and today it changed all over again.

Old
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
We may or may not have that tending. Hence the reason the owner flew all the way to Florida.
I'm optimistic that Luongo and the Canucks can come to terms.

06-30-2013, 06:12 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I think getting Monahan + Klefbom? would have been well worth it..
Monahan went 6th. He wouldn't have been around for the 7th. No one should be sold on klefbom yet.

Old
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Without getting into the semantics of what "develop" means and what "high pick" means etc

Its complete ********.

How many times have you seen a team unseat their supposed go to man and give it to someone else in the process risking pissing off the go to man just to develop him for a pick that may or may not ever play a game.

You dont spend years developing players just to get picks. Thats completely absurd.
How do you explain the Canucks signing Luongo to a 12 year contract then? If they really felt at the time Schneider was going to step in and steal the job, they would've never signed him to those terms. Schneider's play obviously though a wrench into the plans, but I don't doubt that when Luongo was signed, the plan was to develop Schneier to the point where they could recoup his value.

Old
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
In sport where only 1 goalie can play at a time, what else would you do with goalie depth?

If this was a positional player then it would sound stupid, but 3 years ago when Lu was signed to a massive deal with a NTC I think it's pretty obvious he was the long term plan.
... in 2011.

The club has been doing everything possible to get rid of him for over a year. Luongo didn't want to be here anymore.

This isn't something you can just sweep under the rug. The optics are laughable, and this organization looks like a joke right now.

Old
DionPhaneuf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
That's fantasy. Completely different types of players were taken at 7th and 9th.
If someone told you it was Schneider being moved not Luongo at the start of the year, you would also say that is fantasy. It would be a very realistic scenario to flip the 7th pick for a later pick, if you know you're still getting your guy. Even though NJ wouldn't get a goalie that they want, they get to draft higher at a very small cost. It would be a win-win situation.

Old
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
The people pointing out that Schneider may have been looking at a $7M contract in a couple years...sure, if he played like the elite netminder he can be, he probably would have been.

But then...to suggest that as a reason to move a guy, is asinine. You don't gripe about paying elite netminders market value.

And more to the point...What is Luongo going to be a few years from now? Because it's almost certainly not an elite netminder. It's going to be a $5.3M backup goaltender who we can't move. We can't move him now...we're going to be stuck with this deal as he declines (which has already started) for a very VERY long time.
It's a legit gripe. I don't care who is in net, I don't want to spend that much on that position. Why would we when we have some new guys on the pipeline?

If Brodure can play till he's 40, so can Lou.

Who cares what happens if we win a cup anyway. Schneider s 7 million 2 years from now will hurt our chances

Old
06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShift4 View Post
AGAIN. Prove to me that an offer this good was available then.
I can't "prove" that, obviously, so if you want to hide behind that logic to try and convince yourself that this was all part of Mike Gillis' great plan, and that he's the smartest guy in the room, and that the Canucks don't look like fools for what went down (not telling Schneider, not telling Luongo), be my guest.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Old
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Ha he responded!
3 weeks? How about the other 49 weeks before that... I'm not going to bother, it's trolling at this point.

Old
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Cap will be bursting through $70m in a year or so. I think Edmonton are fine capwise with $6m deal when everyone is throwing $8.5m+ at Perry/Getzlafs. They just need to get through this year, which is a building year for them anyway.
Actually someone was mentioning on TSN radio today about how the cap might not be going up. Something to do with the changes in percentages.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
It's nope because his plan changed. He was trying to unload Luongo for the past year. He couldn't and had to get rid of Cory.
But that's not what the quote said. He clearly said three years ago, not 3 months. 3 years ago Luongo was their guy and getting the most value out of Schneider was the plan. Yes, things changed when Schneider developed better than expected, but that doesn't change what he said.

Old
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Awesome. So he's a liar and a fraud! Good to see one of his plans came together because the Hodgson, Booth, and Ballard plans sure didn't! I'm sure the Kool-Aid drinkers will approve.

Old
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
If someone told you it was Schneider being moved not Luongo at the start of the year, you would also say that is fantasy. It would be a very realistic scenario to flip the 7th pick for a later pick, if you know you're still getting your guy. Even though NJ wouldn't get a goalie that they want, they get to draft higher at a very small cost. It would be a win-win situation.
There would be no need to move up. You have no idea who they would have selected with that pick. Mock Drafts had them taking the goalie from Halifax so they probably would have traded back.

It's hearsay at best that the Oilers offer was real. NJ agreed to the deal yesterday. Anything about the Oilers deal is stuff leaked from the Edmonton side.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:16 PM
dwarf

vCash: 250
I can't blame Gillis for making this trade. I feel the League changed the landscape for teams by lowering the cap by ten mill. There was no way the Canucks could afford to take salary back in a goalie trade.

The League in their wisdom decided that teams could exercise two buyouts to offset the cap drop. There is no way, cheap Vancouver slumlords, are going to buy out anyone for millions of dollars.

So making this deal, to get a top ten pick is amazing imo. Not only that, getting Horvat, who I feel is arguably the best player at number 9, is a coup.

Old
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
"Hi Roberto, so you know both you and I will be here long after Gillis is gone".

[mod]
Huh?

What does their length of tenure have to do with it?

Lu has been on the block for a year. The prime if not the "only" destination has been Florida area.

Why florida?

Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
If someone told you it was Schneider being moved not Luongo at the start of the year, you would also say that is fantasy.
Half this board, at least, said it was impossible for Schneider to be traded.

The most amazing thing about this trade is that Y2K was right, again.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Still kind of miffed we couldn't get 9th+2nd for Schneider (+3rd). Horvat+Petan would have worked for me.

Old
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
Some people are really bad at reading comprehension

Old
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
... in 2011.

The club has been doing everything possible to get rid of him for over a year. Luongo didn't want to be here anymore.

This isn't something you can just sweep under the rug. The optics are laughable, and this organization looks like a joke right now.
Who cares how it looks. We moved a player from a position of depth for assets, instead of eating millions of dollars or waiving a star player. Also, for all the people who are *****ing about how old this team is, we actually got younger today and added some forward prospects with top 6 upside. Hopefully the purge continues and we move a defenceman and someone like Burrows for more youth and picks.

Old
skrymir2000

Quote:
That's ridiculous, a team only trades up because they really want a guy and think the team ahead of them will pick him. To the Canucks the 9th pick might have been as good as the 7th because maybe there were 3 or 4 guys they had rated equally and would have been happy with any of them at 9 so why trade up (or trade for) the 7th pick?

Same with having the 7th pick, NJ isn't going to trade up to 7 if they feel they can get their guy at 9.

Old
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 2m
Holy justification, Batman! Gillis on Schneider: "Our plan 3 yrs ago was develop Cory and move him for a high pick and that's what we did."

Do we believe him
Hold on...

So you think for a ****ing second that Gillis signed Luongo to NOT develop Cory and trade him for futures ?

That was 100% obviously the plan; hence the Lu deal.

Old
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
It's a legit gripe. I don't care who is in net, I don't want to spend that much on that position. Why would we when we have some new guys on the pipeline?

If Brodure can play till he's 40, so can Lou.

Who cares what happens if we win a cup anyway. Schneider s 7 million 2 years from now will hurt our chances
As I said last night, I'm not entirely sure how someone can be stoked to be paying a declining, unhappy, 38 y/o Luongo 5.3 million but ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED of paying a 30 y/o Schneider in his prime $7 million.

Luongo's contract starts to look utterly horrible at roughly the same time Schneider would have gone onto a new deal.

Old
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
But that's not what the quote said. He clearly said three years ago, not 3 months.
The quote is fine. However, he is missing information from that quote.

Closed Thread