HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks draft F Bo Horvat 9th Overall (1st Round)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 03:28 AM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

vCash: 500
Apparently Horvat's nickname is "Ox"

Old
07-01-2013, 03:41 AM
Maccas

To be honest I was massively disappointed that we only got the 9th overall for Schnieder when it sounded like there was more on the table but after watching a couple of highlight videos I've warmed to the deal.
Horvat looks like just the sort of centre we want for our 3rd and eventually 2nd line. Skates well, happy to take the puck to the net and looks to have pretty good hands.
Very happy with this pick!

Old
07-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephmrl View Post

Very happy with the pick after watching this..
No kidding. A stud on the PP, nice hands, skates well, takeaways... I like him. Give him a year or so to bring it up to an NHL level, and that sort of upside could really pan into something great.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
GJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Bo Horvat is an excellent pick, this kid will be a 15 year NHLer, has potential to wear the C.

Get excited. We've got two prospects in the Memorial Cup for next season already.

Sounds like Cody Hodgson

Old
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
When I watch his yt vid, he seems kinda slow on skates. What do you guys think?

I hope this pick works out.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Hell of a player, hopefully the trade doesn't start Canucks fans on too bad of a page with Bo. You will grow to love this player. He does all the right things, is clutch as hell and can play a number of roles on the team.

Bo is easily my favourite Knight since Rick Nash, guy is loved by this city's fanbase

#boknowshockey

Old
07-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
My biggest issue with this pick is that he wasn't the BPA. I think Gillis took him because we need a cheap 3C, and he was the most NHL ready centre prospect that would look good in a 3rd line defensive role.

Basically, he tried to fill an immediate roster need via the draft, which is by no means guaranteed to work out. When you're picking in the top-10, though, you shouldn't be drafting on roster needs, especially when we have Gaunce as a comparable prospect and an extra year of development. It should definitely be BPA. Would have much rather had Nichushkin or Domi.(Shinkaruk too, but that turned out far better than we could have hoped).

Old
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
So apparently with Bo, Shink, and Subban, we trolled the Habs, hard.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
My biggest issue with this pick is that he wasn't the BPA. I think Gillis took him because we need a cheap 3C, and he was the most NHL ready centre prospect that would look good in a 3rd line defensive role.

Basically, he tried to fill an immediate roster need via the draft, which is by no means guaranteed to work out. When you're picking in the top-10, though, you shouldn't be drafting on roster needs, especially when we have Gaunce as a comparable prospect and an extra year of development. It should definitely be BPA. Would have much rather had Nichushkin or Domi.(Shinkaruk too, but that turned out far better than we could have hoped).
The Canucks couldn't afford to take a chance with Nichushkin. He wasn't a real option IMO.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
arsmaster

Obviously Horvat was BPA or they don't take him.

Let's say nicushkin becomes Rick Nash and Horvat becomes Bergeron.

Lots of teams take the all situations winner.

I would have been livid if they moved Schneids for a Russian winger who seems indifferent to work, and who IMO is limited in terms of offense.

He's a big, strong, physical player who bulls the puck to the crease.

He doesn't have an elite shot, his playmaking skills are average.

Horvat and Shinkaruk were in my top 10.

Nichushkin for me wasn't worth the risk until 15thish.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
BerSTUzzi

I love the people that try and downgrade Horvat with the Nichushkin argument. Bo is compared to Patrice Bergeron, whom just shutdown a player far better than Nichushkin in the playoffs. The skill of Nichushkin is nothing to question but his heart/head are.

To have a player like Horvat who can go take the puck away from the best player on the ice and skate down the ice and bury a chance is pretty awesome. This is not Bourdon vs Kopitar (who always had his heart on the NHL).

Old
07-01-2013, 11:54 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Horvat was in my top 10 far ahead of Domi before this draft

Happy with this pick

Old
07-01-2013, 12:02 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Sounds like Cody Hodgson

If Cody could skate.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I love the people that try and downgrade Horvat with the Nichushkin argument. Bo is compared to Patrice Bergeron, whom just shutdown a player far better than Nichushkin in the playoffs. The skill of Nichushkin is nothing to question but his heart/head are.

To have a player like Horvat who can go take the puck away from the best player on the ice and skate down the ice and bury a chance is pretty awesome. This is not Bourdon vs Kopitar (who always had his heart on the NHL).
What is there to question about Nichushkin's head/heart? He said he would only come over to play in the NHL. Not in the minor leagues. From both a development and comfort standpoint that makes perfect sense. Why should he come over to play in an inferior league to the one he's playing in now as a very key player?

Old
07-01-2013, 12:13 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

Quote:
What is there to question about Nichushkin's head/heart? He said he would only come over to play in the NHL. Not in the minor leagues. From both a development and comfort standpoint that makes perfect sense. Why should he come over to play in an inferior league to the one he's playing in now as a very key player?
he's talking about Nichuskin's competitiveness in two way game. Will he do everything to win the game : shot blocking, pk, hound the puck etc etc like Horvat does? etc...

Old
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
If Cody could skate.
Or play D.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Apparently Horvat's nickname is "Ox"
awesome - the boy's already a part of the team-tradition of animal nicknames

Old
07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Sounds like Cody Hodgson

He is a more complete player than Cody. Hopefully doesnt develop the baggage Cody did here.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
luongo321

His name really bugs me. Whenever that happens, it usually means there is an anagram that I'm not seeing. Help?

Old
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
he's talking about Nichuskin's competitiveness in two way game. Will he do everything to win the game : shot blocking, pk, hound the puck etc etc like Horvat does? etc...
Well, he's not as good defensively as Horvat by a long shot, but I haven't heard anyone criticize his compete before. I think people may just be assuming that because he's a talented Russian forward.

Horvat has a more complete game for sure, but that doesn't mean Nichushkin doesn't play with "heart"

Old
07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
He quit on some of his tests at the combine and some scouts said he was the worst interview they ever had.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Or play D.
Or had the same dad.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
He quit on some of his tests at the combine and some scouts said he was the worst interview they ever had.
Mackinnon, Jones, and Drouin also didn't bother with the tests. And I believe Dallas thought he had a great interview. Didn't he say something to the effect of "all of these tests don't mean much, the only thing that matters is how well you play on the ice."(or something like that, going off memory.)

Old
07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
*insert Billy Madison worst answer video*

Nichushkin's point totals in tournament play, Russian junior league, and KHL aren't all that great. I could understand why we would go with Horvat over Nichushkin when you take that into account and Bo's complete game.

"Ox" is a badass nickname and so much better than shortening one's name/adding "er" to the end. If Gillis wanted a center with that pick, it was between Domi, Horvat, and Wennberg. Wennberg posted awesome numbers in the Allsvenskan but is older than some of the comparables (Berglund and Forsberg) coming from that league. The numbers aren't so impressive when you compare them to those guys' numbers the year after they were drafted.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
His name really bugs me. Whenever that happens, it usually means there is an anagram that I'm not seeing. Help?
Well, there is a Borat in it.

Every time he scores the crowd could yell "SUUUCCESSS!!!"

Closed Thread