HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Guy Boucher ready to coach another NHL team?

Old
03-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Guess

vCash: 500
Is Guy Boucher ready to coach another NHL team?

I figured I would post this here since he used to coach for the Lightning.

The team I follow (Montreal Canadiens) have a pretty horrible coach who pretty much starts out well in his first season but make his teams worse every season afterwards. Most of the posters on our board want to see Guy Boucher as head coach, so I'd like to know more about him.

I didn't know much about why Guy Boucher was fired as the Bolts coach, but I heard it had something to do with the goaltending situation. What exactly happened that made Yzerman fire him, and what do you guys think of him as head coach material? What is he good/bad at? The Habs have a lot of young forwards that need to develop, and they have all regressed under coach Michel Therrien.

Thanks in advance.

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Guy Boucher is one of the smarter coaches to work in the league. Let's be upfront and honest about something - if Bishop played under Boucher, Boucher does not get fired. There are several things though, he did not appear a proponent of fighting - he either banished it or looked really down upon it unless it was done by a fighter. Whether he felt the defence was weak or not is something to consider, but as soon as TBL would get a lead, they would go into ultra-protective mode. I remember one third period against Washington where they got the lead, and they stayed in their zone almost the entire third period to defend that lead, the shots were something like 15-2 in the third period because TBL spent most of the period just getting the puck out and throwing it down the ice. He also didn't appear to be a fan of forechecking. Also, the team was always getting outshot by the opposition, and would show up in the final minutes of the third period. I think Jon Cooper is a better option for many reasons, but Boucher was a great coach as well - he will do in Montreal with Price.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:54 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Check out this thread from January http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hlight=boucher

But, he's already signed to coach for SC Bern in the Swiss league for the next 2 years

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...club-1.2512643

Old
03-15-2014, 04:55 PM
HotPaquette

I think Guy would be a very good assistant coach but no a head coach, he thinks the game very well but he has a hard time implementing it.

HotPaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
He seemed to be too good with the players... not telling them their mistakes

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
He seemed to be too good with the players... not telling them their mistakes
That was in the 2nd season no? I remember him coming out as a hard ass style coach in his first year. He'd whip a young team like the Oilers into shape IMO.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
That was in the 2nd season no? I remember him coming out as a hard ass style coach in his first year. He'd whip a young team like the Oilers into shape IMO.
Yep! I think he would be fine with a young team. As long as his players buy in he will be fine, but when they don't, it's disastrous.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Kramerica Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Guy Boucher is one of the smarter coaches to work in the league. Let's be upfront and honest about something - if Bishop played under Boucher, Boucher does not get fired. There are several things though, he did not appear a proponent of fighting - he either banished it or looked really down upon it unless it was done by a fighter. Whether he felt the defence was weak or not is something to consider, but as soon as TBL would get a lead, they would go into ultra-protective mode. I remember one third period against Washington where they got the lead, and they stayed in their zone almost the entire third period to defend that lead, the shots were something like 15-2 in the third period because TBL spent most of the period just getting the puck out and throwing it down the ice. He also didn't appear to be a fan of forechecking. Also, the team was always getting outshot by the opposition, and would show up in the final minutes of the third period. I think Jon Cooper is a better option for many reasons, but Boucher was a great coach as well - he will do in Montreal with Price.
I have precious little to add to the rest of this; smarter people than I have already explained in depth their points and I agree with most of them, but I do want to just substantiate that bolded part.

The Lightning were up 2-1 in a game where they were two points behind Washington in the standings coming in. In the 3rd period of that game, the Lightning, literally did not register a shot on goal for the first 16 minutes of that period. It wasn't until Washington scored off a giveaway in the defensive zone that the Lightning actually tried to shoot the puck again. It was insane to watch. For people who remember Torts and "safe is death", it was the most literally opposite style of play that you can imagine.

Oddly enough, the Lightning did have a very good record in one-goal games in Boucher's first two seasons here, despite what I just elaborated on above. In his final season here, however, the Lightning were something like 5-16 in one-goal games (plus shootouts, presumably). They dropped a lot of points, and that's how you end up losing 29 of the last 41 games in the season.

Kramerica Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:03 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Bishop would have helped for sure, and maybe he would have gotten Boucher to the off-season. But Yzerman had his eye on Cooper for a while, and Cooper was about to leave.

But anyway, there's a line of thinking that believes, and I buy into this, that Boucher was actually given a longer leash because Lindback was so bad last year. Goaltending was only one issue though. We were a mess in the defensive end. Our forwards didn't pitch in, looked lost when they did, and it appears Boucher didn't really push any sort of 5-man defensive unit. If Bishop had been Tampa's goalie, I still don't think we'd have made the playoffs last year. And I think one way or another we'd have started this season with Cooper.

DFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Werewolf

I remember one of players quoting that under Boucher the offense was extremely robotic and predictable. Under Cooper there are a few rules but the players are given much more leash to create and roam in the offensive third. Also the team under Boucher as somebody eluded to - did not stand up for each other.

Cooper tries to preach the wolfpack mentality - one goes we all go. I don't think Cooper is there yet on this approach as some of the players (Purcell/Carle/etc) still tentative or too soft to mix it up. But under Cooper the physicality of the team has greatly improved and Boucher seemed to take that part of the game away.

Werewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
I remember one of players quoting that under Boucher the offense was extremely robotic and predictable. Under Cooper there are a few rules but the players are given much more leash to create and roam in the offensive third. Also the team under Boucher as somebody eluded to - did not stand up for each other.

Cooper tries to preach the wolfpack mentality - one goes we all go. I don't think Cooper is there yet on this approach as some of the players (Purcell/Carle/etc) still tentative or too soft to mix it up.
But under Cooper the physicality of the team has greatly improved and Boucher seemed to take that part of the game away.
Yeah I agree with this a hundred percent. A good friend of mine comes over and watches the games with me during the weekday's, and we could definetly see that. Tyler Johnson for example, got rocked in one shift, comes over and punches Chara in the face because it seems like they were taking liberties on another player. I remember making the remark "Your kind of giving up five weight classes on that buddy."

Needless to say, it was nice to see.....Granted we have had our problems with that over the course of the season, but for one reason or another when we traded MSL it seemed to iron its self out.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote