HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2013, 11:41 PM
  #351
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Development will be stalled in the Q.

Colt.45Orr is online now  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:38 AM
  #352
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
[ 2 6 ]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,281
vCash: 500
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cision/2143927
Quote:
Whether Drouin is with Tampa Bay or Halifax of the junior Quebec league, "mostly we want him playing," general manager Steve Yzerman said. "It's not the end of the world if a player has to go back (to juniors). But we certainly want to give him every opportunity before making that decision."
Quote:
"The jump from junior to the NHL is a massive one," he said. "I can't imagine a jump from junior to the NHL. . It's just a fact he's playing a game with so much more pace than what he's used to, and it takes time to catch up. You can see he's progressing each game. He looks more comfortable than he did at the rookie tournament games (before camp), so that's a good sign that he's slowly catching up to the game. But it's going to take time.

"Take where he was drafted out of the picture and let's just let the player develop. I don't think we can judge Jonathan Drouin in one month of his rookie season."
Quote:
"Wherever I end up after this camp," Drouin said, "I think I learned a lot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Development will be stalled in the Q.
Not at his age. There's plenty he can still work on there, especially if they want him to play center.

__________________
VL4ever
"It's still All In to me dammit." - Felonious Python
TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
  #353
CupsOverCash
Registered User
 
CupsOverCash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
I'm sure he will get his 9 games and then they will see how he does. If he looks like he belongs he will stay. It should be interesting to see how everybody plays during that stint because the competition to stay on the team will be in full throttle. Can't wait for the Reg season.

CupsOverCash is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 11:02 AM
  #354
NS Bluenoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cision/2143927





Not at his age. There's plenty he can still work on there, especially if they want him to play center.
Not to mention, he will spend over a month as part of Canada`s world junior squad, getting prime minutes in the tournament as well.

Drouin will be fine come next training camp, maybe even better for it, even if he got sent back to junior. Another year of growing and training could make a big difference. It`s not like he is ten gears faster and stronger than everyone else in junior - games will still be a challenge.

NS Bluenoser is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 11:11 AM
  #355
Unfinished Business
Registered User
 
Unfinished Business's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I'm sure he will get his 9 games and then they will see how he does. If he looks like he belongs he will stay. It should be interesting to see how everybody plays during that stint because the competition to stay on the team will be in full throttle. Can't wait for the Reg season.
We have to keep him the 9 right? So at least we can move contract back a year?

I thought that is how it works so to me would be very stupid not to give him the 9 games. I really believe he will catch onto speed of game by that time so than is 50/50 with stevie and coop deciding do they want him truly to be center or not.

We dont need him honestly this year. Others are ready and deserving.

Unfinished Business is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
  #356
Roz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
I don't think Drouin's development would be stalled if he returns to the Mooseheads. At this time two years ago he was still playing midget. He has a lot less junior experience than most guys his age.

Last year he played on one of the all-time best CHL teams that could pretty much score at will. This year, the Mooseheads are a mid-pack team with no stand-out stars aside from Zach Fucale. They lost all but 3 of their top 10 scorers, so they're going to have to win games on the strength of their defensive play. If there's anywhere Drouin can learn how to be a responsible 2-way centreman who can put a team on his back, it's in Halifax.*

All that said, I wouldn't rule out the chance that he'll stick. If he gets 3 more pre-season games and 9 regular season games, that's a lot of of time for him to improve. He's smart, very hard-working, and willing to be coached.

*All of this would go out the window if Halifax is still a non-contender at Christmas and they opt to trade him for a goldmine.

Roz is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
  #357
JoeyBeans
Registered User
 
JoeyBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
We have to keep him the 9 right? So at least we can move contract back a year?

I thought that is how it works so to me would be very stupid not to give him the 9 games. I really believe he will catch onto speed of game by that time so than is 50/50 with stevie and coop deciding do they want him truly to be center or not.

We dont need him honestly this year. Others are ready and deserving.
Once a junior-age rookie plays 10 games, the season counts as the first of his professional contract.

JoeyBeans is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 03:27 AM
  #358
garmonbozia
Registered User
 
garmonbozia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Is there anything that says his 9 games in the NHL have to come at the start?

I could see some benefits to sending him down to start the year then letting him get 9 games either just after the WJCs or sometime around trade-deadline or Olympic break. It lets the gluttunous forward situation settle itself out naturally whether through trade, injury, or performance. It lets Drouin focus on the things he's learned this camp while still at the top of a league. It makes him hungrier for when you do finally bring him back up. It lets him mature physically and mentally even just a little bit more.


Whose job is he taking if he stays?

garmonbozia is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 03:48 AM
  #359
Unfinished Business
Registered User
 
Unfinished Business's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Is there anything that says his 9 games in the NHL have to come at the start?

I could see some benefits to sending him down to start the year then letting him get 9 games either just after the WJCs or sometime around trade-deadline or Olympic break. It lets the gluttunous forward situation settle itself out naturally whether through trade, injury, or performance. It lets Drouin focus on the things he's learned this camp while still at the top of a league. It makes him hungrier for when you do finally bring him back up. It lets him mature physically and mentally even just a little bit more.


Whose job is he taking if he stays?
Yes is the junior chl deal which states once send down cannot be recalled during their season including their playoffs they have a 68 game year plus playoffs.

So am unsure how many games he could play before the playoffs for us or if is any but doubt it unless his team just sucked which truly doubt.


Job he would take would be palat or panik for now would go down till we could trade pyatt for a late round pick. As soon as we move pyatt the palat or panik would be recalled. Or if we send drouin down after 9 games they get that spot etc...

Unfinished Business is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 12:33 PM
  #360
Pontius Palat
Lurker
 
Pontius Palat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Is there anything that says his 9 games in the NHL have to come at the start?

I could see some benefits to sending him down to start the year then letting him get 9 games either just after the WJCs or sometime around trade-deadline or Olympic break. It lets the gluttunous forward situation settle itself out naturally whether through trade, injury, or performance. It lets Drouin focus on the things he's learned this camp while still at the top of a league. It makes him hungrier for when you do finally bring him back up. It lets him mature physically and mentally even just a little bit more.


Whose job is he taking if he stays?
Once you send him down, you can't bring him up until Halifax's season's over. I think it might be possible if Halifax misses the playoffs or something. Then he might get the last bit of the regular season and playoffs if we make it.

Although I don't think it's worth it because if he's able to prove during the first 9 games that he deserves to stay then we'd be missing out on a year of Drouin.

Pontius Palat is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 12:43 PM
  #361
CupsOverCash
Registered User
 
CupsOverCash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
I think Connolly has shown he deserves to play with the big boys this year. Drouin may have too but on this team you have to wait your turn. Too many pro ready guys and they have been working hard to do so. Drouin worked hard to get his top 3 draft spot but this is the pros. He's on a team that has talent. He may have to wait a year.

CupsOverCash is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 12:46 PM
  #362
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 27,077
vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I think Connolly has shown he deserves to play with the big boys this year. Drouin may have too but on this team you have to wait your turn. Too many pro ready guys and they have been working hard to do so. Drouin worked hard to get his top 3 draft spot but this is the pros. He's on a team that has talent. He may have to wait a year.
I just want to point out, I was saying this after the draft and most people thought I was crazy.

The Macho Man is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 01:11 PM
  #363
CupsOverCash
Registered User
 
CupsOverCash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
I just want to point out, I was saying this after the draft and most people thought I was crazy.
I think people forgot how SFY likes to be patient with his prospects. If it were up to him he would probably have him have a year in the Q and then a year with the AHL if they were allowed.

CupsOverCash is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 07:00 PM
  #364
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
[ 2 6 ]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,281
vCash: 500
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolt...medium=twitter
Quote:
“Playing in (junior) leagues, it’s good hockey it really is,’’ Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said. “It’s not the end of the world if a player has to go back, but we certainly want to give him every opportunity before making that because it is final.

“Mostly, we want him playing. And if he’s not going to play regular (in the NHL), I want him playing. I don’t really have a timetable on it’s because we do have the luxury ...to stagger their games and delay it for as long as you really want. So, it’s not like we are under a time crunch or anything.’’
Quote:
“You definitely want to seem him improve, and I think (Thursday) was probably the best game he has played with us,’’ Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said. “And it’s baby steps. He’s 18 and he’s just trying to get his feel and, as any 18-year-old, he’s trying to survive.

“He’s done a pretty good job. (Thursday) he kept up with the pace. He wanted the puck on his stick, he made plays and and made errors like anybody else. But it’s much more gratifying to see that he’s improving every day instead of getting worse every day, so that’s a good sign.’’
Quote:
“Every day it’s been about getting better and better,’’ Drouin said. “I think I’m getting into it. The second preseason game was better than the first preseason game. As practices go on, I think I’m getting into the swing of the team and the game at the NHL, so it’s the good part that it didn’t take that long. I’m pretty happy with that.’’
Quote:
“He looks more comfortable here than he did in the rookie tournament games, and that’s a good sign that he is slowly catching up to the game,’’ Cooper said. “But it’s going to take time with him. I just think, take where he was drafted out of the picture and just let the player develop and let’s see how he develops over time.’’

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 07:03 PM
  #365
DFC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,728
vCash: 500
Whether to keep Drouin or send him down is a trickier issue than it seems.

What Drouin needs right now, from a developmental standpoint, is to play against full grown angry men. He's ineligible for AHL duty and he's not going to get that in the Q. He's in a weird spot where the NHL might be the best place for him, even if he's not really ready to excel at the NHL level.

But if he stays with the Bolts, he might be taking the spot of a player who could better help the team (at least in the early days).

So the question is, do you risk stalling Drouin's development, which will be beneficial to the team long-term, or do you keep him on the team and leave an NHL talent in the AHL?

It's a good problem to have, but it's a real problem. This is a year where you really have to wish we could dress 19 players.

DFC is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 07:37 PM
  #366
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Whether to keep Drouin or send him down is a trickier issue than it seems.

What Drouin needs right now, from a developmental standpoint, is to play against full grown angry men. He's ineligible for AHL duty and he's not going to get that in the Q. He's in a weird spot where the NHL might be the best place for him, even if he's not really ready to excel at the NHL level.

But if he stays with the Bolts, he might be taking the spot of a player who could better help the team (at least in the early days).

So the question is, do you risk stalling Drouin's development, which will be beneficial to the team long-term, or do you keep him on the team and leave an NHL talent in the AHL?

It's a good problem to have, but it's a real problem. This is a year where you really have to wish we could dress 19 players.
What Drouin needs is to mature physically, it doesn't matter if he plays against men or not. He's not better than our top 6 right now so he doesn't deserve a spot there cause he was picked 3rd. He needs to dominate in the Q so he can come into camp and take a spot. He can develop quite well playing 30 minutes a night while working on the other aspects of his game.

HoseEmDown is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  #367
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 27,077
vCash: 134
I think the idea that he doesn't have anything to learn in the Q is overstated. If he moves to C, that obviously will help him develop, and he can always get bigger/stronger/more responsible defensively. He's got plenty to work on down there if he's motivated (and I believe he will be).

Also, this would free him up to play in the WJC, which is also another avenue to help him develop.

The Macho Man is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 08:02 PM
  #368
DFC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
What Drouin needs is to mature physically, it doesn't matter if he plays against men or not. He's not better than our top 6 right now so he doesn't deserve a spot there cause he was picked 3rd. He needs to dominate in the Q so he can come into camp and take a spot. He can develop quite well playing 30 minutes a night while working on the other aspects of his game.
I think he's already dominated in the Q, and dominating further isn't going to help him make the jump between the Q and the NHL. Are there things for him to work on there? Yes -- playing C, for one, if the team is intent on having him make that switch. And also he could focus on D-zone work. But I don't think he's going to mature much more physically. His size is issues are a bit overblown -- the kid's a pretty solid 190 lbs, with the lowest body fat at the combine this summer.

What he needs most is to get used to the pace and physicality of the NHL game, which is one of the few things the Q can't provide for him. If he stays in Tampa, there are going to be growing pains that could hurt the team though.

I just think it's a very tricky issue, because you're talking about a potentially elite player. I think the Bolts have to be very careful with how they develop him. If he plays in the Q this year, he'll probably score 130 points and be no closer to the NHL because he still won't be ready for the strength and speed of the game.

The AHL would be the perfect solution, but it's unlikely he'll ever play there.

DFC is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 08:41 PM
  #369
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
I think the idea that he doesn't have anything to learn in the Q is overstated. If he moves to C, that obviously will help him develop, and he can always get bigger/stronger/more responsible defensively. He's got plenty to work on down there if he's motivated (and I believe he will be).

Also, this would free him up to play in the WJC, which is also another avenue to help him develop.
I still don't get this thing about moving him to C.....he can do all of that at wing, just because a player has great vision and play-making abilities doesn't instantly mean he's suited for Center.

Just look at Patrick Kane who had the worst season of his career after being played at center.

This whole thing about moving to C to learn defense is horribly overrated, especially with all the 2-way guys we have in our system, I'd worry much more about his offensive talents adapting to the NHL. Defense is something you can pick up as you mature in the NHL. How great was Crosby defensively when he won his Art Ross? How great was Kane when he putting up consistent 70 point seasons? Heck neither of them were even average defensively when they won their first Stanley Cups.

Drouin is in a bad spot because of how deep the Tampa organization is for forwards right now, the AHL is the best place he could develop but he's ineligible.


Last edited by Sky04: 09-27-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Sky04 is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
  #370
Unfinished Business
Registered User
 
Unfinished Business's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
I get the center thing and dont mind it for whoever said he is not as good as our top six your out of your mind. Give him the 9 games and say that again. Is just nonsense to me is the same as people arguing for purcell to play top line with stamkos and marty. Now we have options and im telling you we have seven guys who can keep up with those two who might take time but by end of a season would be above purcells pace. 60 points with two guys shooting around 100 is just wrong im sorry. For those that dont see that ok. Could understand if purcell was a physical shut down guy doing this but hes not he is just not gifted enough to deserve to be with those two elite players.

Now dont get me wrong I read everything everyone says and respect others opinions and will admit when I am wrong. I just think is people who dont grasp the difference from good talent to great talent to elite talent as it comes along.

Purcell good talent Connolly might be great talent. Panik might be great talent.

Kucherov and drouin i think are probably Elite talent. They will catch up speed wise faster than others etc.. Connolly is surprising me and could also wind up in elite category meaning point a game guys.

Is very few guys every year who can come up and deliver even 0.5 points a game I think we have many who can and will do this now and next year. I think a few of them are going to do better than that though.


Meaning purcell gets dropped to second line where he belongs playing with other guys who chip in 50-60 point years

if drouin gets sent down would love connolly with stamkos and marty for a year.

purcell malone and valtteri are not more than 60 point guys they would be good together and/or add killorn there with malone being third line guy at times so doesnt get hurt and can have him on power play etc.. where he is best at.

put malone in third and mix the time with palat and panik on that line and give breaks mix it up on fourth with panik/palat crombeen labrie thompson pyatt.

If drouin does stay than he should be second line connolly stamkos marty

drouin fippula malone

trade purcell and go get us a top 2 d man for the future meaning someone right now rock solid physical and/or puck mover power play specialist. If got to give another asset do it.

Cause honestly I am positive a move like that puts us in playoff race and makes us super dangerous this year.

put the guy with hedman
salo can play with carle
gudas aulie
brewer - barberio maybe use barberio as the other piece?


buy out brewer next year get someone to take salos place by than gudas? sustr comes in picks up slack we are a legit contender bringing in kucherov and figuring out who to move for him. Erne might deserve a spot by than too. Is still JT Brown who is gonna get the shaft.


I think status quo we slip into playoffs. I think a legit number two especially guy with upside scoring and physical aspect is what would put us third in this division right now ahead of the other teams.

If doesnt happen this year meaning the drouin factor will next is a necessity and stevie is not gonna like being mediocre with a team this solid in offense for another year.

Also adding a true pmd power play guy will even help the offense more.

Unfinished Business is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 10:25 PM
  #371
AllAbout813
Registered User
 
AllAbout813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
From the panthers board..
_______________

I can see how you may disagree with the Barkov pick, but your hard on for Drouin is a little ridiculous.

The guy is soft as pudding and would do nothing for this team. Why would we draft a poor-man's Huberdeau? We need DIFFERENT players on this team, not a bunch of soft passers.

Seriously what the hell do you think Drouin would bring to this team?

Guys like Barkov, Toews, Thornton don't grow on trees. It makes sense to take a chance on him.

Drouin is as common of a player as there is. Undersized, speedy winger is the go-to in the new NHL.
_______________

Why did we waste a high pick on a run of the mill hockey player. Seriously can we fire Yzerman yet?

AllAbout813 is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 11:03 PM
  #372
DFC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
From the panthers board..
_______________

I can see how you may disagree with the Barkov pick, but your hard on for Drouin is a little ridiculous.

The guy is soft as pudding and would do nothing for this team. Why would we draft a poor-man's Huberdeau? We need DIFFERENT players on this team, not a bunch of soft passers.

Seriously what the hell do you think Drouin would bring to this team?

Guys like Barkov, Toews, Thornton don't grow on trees. It makes sense to take a chance on him.

Drouin is as common of a player as there is. Undersized, speedy winger is the go-to in the new NHL.
_______________

Why did we waste a high pick on a run of the mill hockey player. Seriously can we fire Yzerman yet?
This makes me wonder if you've actually seen Drouin in the Q.

As far Barkov, he was the most NHL ready player in the big 4, whereas Drouin was probably the least ready. But Drouin's long-term potential is massive. The "undersized" thing is just the easiest thing to target for people who haven't seen him. Unless I've been wrong all this time and Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos and Pavel Datsyuk etc etc etc are all 6'4, 230.

DFC is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 11:09 PM
  #373
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
From the panthers board..
_______________

I can see how you may disagree with the Barkov pick, but your hard on for Drouin is a little ridiculous.

The guy is soft as pudding and would do nothing for this team. Why would we draft a poor-man's Huberdeau? We need DIFFERENT players on this team, not a bunch of soft passers.

Seriously what the hell do you think Drouin would bring to this team?

Guys like Barkov, Toews, Thornton don't grow on trees. It makes sense to take a chance on him.

Drouin is as common of a player as there is. Undersized, speedy winger is the go-to in the new NHL.
_______________

Why did we waste a high pick on a run of the mill hockey player. Seriously can we fire Yzerman yet?

Clearly he didn't see what kind of player just won the Conn Smythe.

Sky04 is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 11:19 PM
  #374
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
I get the center thing and dont mind it for whoever said he is not as good as our top six your out of your mind. Give him the 9 games and say that again. Is just nonsense to me is the same as people arguing for purcell to play top line with stamkos and marty. Now we have options and im telling you we have seven guys who can keep up with those two who might take time but by end of a season would be above purcells pace. 60 points with two guys shooting around 100 is just wrong im sorry. For those that dont see that ok. Could understand if purcell was a physical shut down guy doing this but hes not he is just not gifted enough to deserve to be with those two elite players.

Now dont get me wrong I read everything everyone says and respect others opinions and will admit when I am wrong. I just think is people who dont grasp the difference from good talent to great talent to elite talent as it comes along.

Purcell good talent Connolly might be great talent. Panik might be great talent.

Kucherov and drouin i think are probably Elite talent. They will catch up speed wise faster than others etc.. Connolly is surprising me and could also wind up in elite category meaning point a game guys.

Is very few guys every year who can come up and deliver even 0.5 points a game I think we have many who can and will do this now and next year. I think a few of them are going to do better than that though.


Meaning purcell gets dropped to second line where he belongs playing with other guys who chip in 50-60 point years
Your post is a little ridiculous, scoring 60+ points is perfectly fine for an average 1st line player, do you even know how many players actually score 70+ points? Let alone a 2nd line composed of purely 50/60 point players.

Tell me the last time Purcell played fulltime with St.louis and Stamkos while BOTH were potting close to 100?

2009-2010 when both scored 90+ they were playing with Malone and Downie.
2010-2011 again when they both scored 90+, they were playing with Downie.

in 2012 Purcell had a career high 65 point year, and St.louis was nowhere near 100 points.

Panik has nowhere near the upside Purcell has. And by the way, nobody is arguing for Purcell to play with Stamkos and MSL on the first line. But he is full, well and capable of doing so as proven the previous 2 years.


Last edited by Sky04: 09-27-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Sky04 is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 11:53 PM
  #375
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 21,231
vCash: 500
I don't necessarily buy the upside argument. Just different styles that cater to different players. If Panik is on that line, its because hes doing the dirty work on that line and 26/91 are loafing, waiting for a homerun pass. As for keeping up, Purcell is just fine. Hes the kind of guy that you don't appreciate when you have him, and you miss him when hes gone.

Still All In is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.