HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A few concerns.

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Slangston

vCash: 500
A few concerns.

The coverage this team is getting in the Buffalo News is ridiculous. They didn't have jack squat on the pre-season games, but they did have tons of baseball information. Just who the hell is in charge of the sports section? Don't they realize we have a pro hockey team here? Last I knew, this city never had a Major League Baseball franchise. This is just downright frustrating. Whatever happened to the full player posters they used to have all the time?!? Somebody over at the Buffalo News better get their act together. The Sabres have a serious PR problem.

Another thing...Wassup with the ticket sales? It's great that we only have 5 suites left to sell, but I want to see a full house for the majority of the games...Similar to what we had just a couple seasons ago. I'm hearing ticket sales haven't been too great, and I'm a bit concerned. Hopefully things will pick up over the next couple of weeks or so.

Old
09-26-2003, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
The coverage this team is getting in the Buffalo News is ridiculous. They didn't have jack squat on the pre-season games, but they did have tons of baseball information. Just who the hell is in charge of the sports section? Don't they realize we have a pro hockey team here? Last I knew, this city never had a Major League Baseball franchise. This is just downright frustrating. Whatever happened to the full player posters they used to have all the time?!? Somebody over at the Buffalo News better get their act together. The Sabres have a serious PR problem.

Another thing...Wassup with the ticket sales? It's great that we only have 5 suites left to sell, but I want to see a full house for the majority of the games...Similar to what we had just a couple seasons ago. I'm hearing ticket sales haven't been too great, and I'm a bit concerned. Hopefully things will pick up over the next couple of weeks or so.
I'm not going to bielive what anyone says on ticket sales until i hear it on sabres.com, empire/wnsa or the buffalo news.

When i bought my tickets for the opener at topps, the lady told me tickets were going quickly in the 300's.

Old
09-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Slangston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown37
I'm not going to bielive what anyone says on ticket sales until i hear it on sabres.com, empire/wnsa or the buffalo news.

When i bought my tickets for the opener at topps, the lady told me tickets were going quickly in the 300's.
Well, that's good to hear. I'm planning on getting tickets for the Islanders game soon. I don't wanna see empty seats for the season opener like last year, that was embarassing.

Old
09-26-2003, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
Well, that's good to hear. I'm planning on getting tickets for the Islanders game soon. I don't wanna see empty seats for the season opener like last year, that was embarassing.
lol yeah it would.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Sabres will have about 11,500 season ticket holders this season with an average attandence of about 15,500. That's not that good, but that's not bad. I really think Sabres will have a hard time filling in 16,000+ until Bills season is over, Donahoe's signings have really hyped them up huge. If Sabres are in the race by early January, i could see alot of 16,000+ crowds after then.

Old
09-26-2003, 04:47 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

yeah when you consider the amount of effort that goes into bills preseason coverage its very upsetting the sabres dont get the same, they should know there are plenty of sabres fans and not everything revolves around the bills! MORE SABRES COVERAGE!!!! Also what they should be doing is informing the public on ticket sales and either letting them know what is left or that they should be getting their butts to the box office! THE BUFFALO NEWS IS A JOKE!

Old
09-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Slangston

Well the coverage was borderline decent until the last 3 seasons or so. Ever since then, it's gotten even worse.

Old
09-26-2003, 05:01 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Didnt they have a sabres beat reporter back then? the only guy who really covers them now is Bucky Gleason and he is hardly a sabres beat reporter

Old
09-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Kozak72

Same problem in the Rochester D and C online sports section.

There is a link for the Bills, but not for the Sabres.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:27 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

i wouldn't call the buffalo news a joke
fact of the matter is, football comes first in pretty much every city in the us
and baseball playoffs start very soon
plus, the nhl season doesn't start for about 2 weeks
and like somebody said the bills are a hot topic right now and getting serious press all around the country
the boston globe has poor bruins coverage
its a common problem hockey getting the back burner in the sports media
and even so, i think tbn does a better job than most other papers

Old
09-27-2003, 02:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Yeah, the news coverage of the Sabres has been more spartan than in years' past, but its not like their covering a squad that has made drastic personnel improvements and has serious playoff aspirations as the Bills did and do. The Sabres are second fiddle (or third) due to their own poor play and Regis' mismanagement.

As for the coverage, Gleason's been doing football (where his daily mention of Mike Peca isn't likely to happen), Tim Graham has been the beat reporter for hockey since last year, John Vogl has chipped in with at least one article this camp and in the last week they've had an article every day plus a couple of editorials. Not on par with the Bills regular season orgy, err coverage, but not bad considering the lowered interest and lowered expectations most casual Buffalo sports fans have regarding the Sabres. Wins will bring coverage, just like they will bring fannies to the seats.

Old
09-27-2003, 06:54 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
I think ticket sales will spike up once Miro Satan is finally signed.I'm started to get very angry that Regier is taking this long to make the deal done.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:29 AM
ajsonor

There is a traditional attendence cycle among Buffalo Sports. When the Bills are playing, they are the main attraction attraction to non-season ticket holders. Once the Bills are done, there is a noticable difference in attendence and energy leve at the arena. Once the Sabres are done, the Bisons get the boost. Essentially, the only team that doesn't start the year in the hole is the Buffalo Bills. Part of the reason that the Buffalo Destroyers of the Arean League failed is because they had to compete with the end of the Hockey season and the begining of the baseball season. Buffalo just isn't big enough to financially support all these teams at once, so the non-season ticket holder support moves in a wave from one to the other as the respective seasons finish up

Old
09-27-2003, 08:19 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
I would guess the departure of Jim Kelley has a lot to do with that.
I agree. I really miss this guy's input into the news. He was IMO a great writer. Definitely knew his hockey, most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
I think ticket sales will spike up once Miro Satan is finally signed.I'm started to get very angry that Regier is taking this long to make the deal done.
I think the signing of Satan will have an impact in the sale of tickets, but I don't see it making a huge impact or anything like that. I mean, Miro alone isn't the reason for all the excitement for this upcoming year. I don't think there's reason for you to be upset at Regier, if anything be upset with Satan. Regier has a budget to keep in mind. I'm still confident that Regier will get him signed before the season starts; I don't think Satan has any desire to sit out very long.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:47 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

[QUOTE=KillToronto]I agree. I really miss this guy's input into the news. He was IMO a great writer. Definitely knew his hockey, most of the time.

maybe so, but he is a JERK

Old
09-27-2003, 08:59 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
maybe so, but he is a JERK
lol, I was waiting for somethin like that.

Closed Thread