HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anthony Mantha

Old
06-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
I don't know whether to admire his desire to get to the big club or if he thinks Detroit's system is a joke... Even if he does well he's not making the big leagues in the next two years. We're already having enough trouble clearing room for Tatar and then will have Jarnkrok and Jurco coming soon.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Townsend Beasley
Mission to Civilize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I don't know whether to admire his desire to get to the big club or if he thinks Detroit's system is a joke... Even if he does well he's not making the big leagues in the next two years. We're already having enough trouble clearing room for Tatar and then will have Jarnkrok and Jurco coming soon.
Really what is he supposed to say? Theres really no pertinent info coming from an interview like that, might as well be positive.

Townsend Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:16 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Doubt he knows much about the Detroit system, just like most here probably knows little of other team's depth charts.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Everything I've read makes it sounds like he's another Franzen.

And I really dislike Franzen.

Sounds like Mantha floats a bit, and unless he's scoring you won't really know he's out there. Big, but doesn't play big, and goes missing a lot.

Can't say I'm a fan because even if he's scoring, doesn't seem like a very complete player at all. I know you need pure goal scorers, but compete level has to be a focal point.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:11 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Everything I've read makes it sounds like he's another Franzen.

And I really dislike Franzen.

Sounds like Mantha floats a bit, and unless he's scoring you won't really know he's out there. Big, but doesn't play big, and goes missing a lot.

Can't say I'm a fan because even if he's scoring, doesn't seem like a very complete player at all. I know you need pure goal scorers, but compete level has to be a focal point.
A guy bwho fights 4 times in a season t o me has more compete then mule but even if he ends up like him thats still a great pick and legit top 6er

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
This video has made me temporarily deaf.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:26 AM
cupforwings09

I don't get why everybody just assumes this guy doesn't care and is a floater. It sounds like he wants to be a great player, and he seems to realize he needs to be competitive every game to do that, and he is working on it. THis could be a great pick.

cupforwings09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Looks like he has an amazing shot and can sure skate. Seems to play like a pure sniper and will probably be a better goal scorer than Mule. I'm excited

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Looks like he has an amazing shot and can sure skate. Seems to play like a pure sniper and will probably be a better goal scorer than Mule. I'm excited
Stuff I'm a bit worried about that I didn't get from that video: can he protect the puck on the cycle? can he pass? can he deke? Hopefully we get some answers to those questions next season, because he doesn't have anything to prove in the goalscoring department.

Although he does need to work a bit on getting a harder shot. It's really accurate and has a quick release, but it's not quite there in terms of velocity.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Stuff I'm a bit worried about that I didn't get from that video: can he protect the puck on the cycle? can he pass? can he deke? Hopefully we get some answers to those questions next season, because he doesn't have anything to prove in the goalscoring department.

Although he does need to work a bit on getting a harder shot. It's really accurate and has a quick release, but it's not quite there in terms of velocity.
From what I've heard from people who have watched him. His game is a pure sniper game. Not exactly a dangler, and while he does have size and can hold his own, being physical is not a major part of his game.

Apparently he's a very smart player and knows how to get himself open to score goals. Has a brilliant shot and a nose for the net and obviously is a great skater.

The main concerns seem to be around his inconsistent play and work ethics, but I think that's fixable.

Comes to think of it, he might be similar to Dany Heatley.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:14 AM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:

Virtually every highlight I saw the kid was crashing in from off screen, had the puck on his stick for seconds and then scored.

On one hand, this excites me because we already have a lot of guys who want to be handling the puck both on the team and in the system.

On the other, he always seemed to skating into HUGE swathes of white ice; the kind that don't exist at the NHL level if you get my meaning. Nothing on the clips I've seen (more than just this video fwiw) lead me to believe he was ever going to be a "fight for the puck in small spaces and make an ugly goal" type.

Oddly enough, he seems like a better skater on film than most scouts give him credit for.

SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
Virtually every highlight I saw the kid was crashing in from off screen, had the puck on his stick for seconds and then scored.

On one hand, this excites me because we already have a lot of guys who want to be handling the puck both on the team and in the system.

On the other, he always seemed to skating into HUGE swathes of white ice; the kind that don't exist at the NHL level if you get my meaning. Nothing on the clips I've seen (more than just this video fwiw) lead me to believe he was ever going to be a "fight for the puck in small spaces and make an ugly goal" type.

Oddly enough, he seems like a better skater on film than most scouts give him credit for.
It's almost like they think they can mash Mantha and Nastasiuk together and get a perfect player.

All skill, low compete meets low skill, all compete.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:35 AM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
It's almost like they think they can mash Mantha and Nastasiuk together and get a perfect player.

All skill, low compete meets low skill, all compete.
I'm not being critical because honestly, I have no clue how this works out 5 years from now. It's my least favorite part about the NHL draft; you wait, wait and then when it's over, you wait 5 more years. Ugh.

That having been said; it seems awful funny that the same guys who've been ramming the "We choose skill, first, foremost and always. We have done this for 20 years and it's how we're always competitive..." line down our throats, produced this draft.

We did the exact opposite afaict. I dunno, maybe they'll come out and say every one of these guys is secretly way more skilled than scouting departments had them... somehow I doubt it tho.

Last edited by SportsballChic: 07-01-2013 at 01:42 AM.
SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:22 AM
Tomas W

Sounds like a good pick. Cant expect for everything to be perfect at #20. Sounds like he got great potential.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:28 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Sounds like a good pick. Cant expect for everything to be perfect at #20. Sounds like he got great potential.
You got it. A more complete goal scorer with that physical frame goes #1 like Rick Nash.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
You got it. A more complete goal scorer with that physical frame goes #1 like Rick Nash.
Goal scorers are always intriguing. Gonna be fun to follow his development.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:40 AM
bullocks

Seems like a cool guy from his interviews.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:23 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
A good thing with the pick is that he only has one more year of junior eligibility left. He's one of the oldest guys(the oldest?) in the draft. He's big and he can skate so it's good the get him into pro hockey sooner rather than later and learn him the physical/defensive aspects he probably won't learn in the Q.
mantha missed last year's draft by 1 day. i heard buffalo's 2nd rounder connor hurley missed next year's draft by 1 day.

mantha scored 19g, 21a, 40p in his last 25 games of '12 season, and scored 50g, 39a, 89p in 67 games this season. apparently a late bloomer. i read he grew a lot recently, and maybe only adjusted to it recently.

mckeen's scouting report from october:
Quote:
Anthony Mantha (LW, 2013), Val-d’Or – talented shooter brings an impressive package of size, speed and skill .. tall, smooth, balanced skater with very good top speed .. and gets there rapidly thanks to a deceptive acceleration burst – masked a bit due to efficient mechanics .. solid crossover form – body retains shape in turns, cuts, pivots .. able to get outside defenders propelled by a swift change of pace .. bit of a ‘lurk in the weeds’ type – prowling on the edges – with a knack of popping up in a prime shooting area .. boasts a deceptively fast release on his wristshots and snappers, accentuated by a large wingspan .. retains his strength and skill at full stretch .. packs a terrific release – gets real wang on his wrister – all arms, wrists and technique .. real fluid mechanics .. setup footwork for his shot is subtle – uses quick, short strides to get body prepared quicker .. adept firing off his inside foot a la Mark Messier .. disguises intentions well – doesn’t telegraph if he’s readying for a shot or a deke .. quite adept at selling the shot and then making a no-look pass .. shows imagination as a playmaker which adds to his unpredictability .. poised and creative in-tight 1-on-1 on a goalie .. tends to operate at his own pace .. will need continued work on tempo, learning to assess options and make decisions quicker .. will also require a more complete game at the next level – doesn’t bring much energy or resolve in the defensive zone yet .. goes flat in defending sequences – relying on getting long stick and reach in lanes .. floats high in the zone, observing the cycle action – and can leak out prematurely .. does exhibit spots of physical play – frame is large and sturdy – and can create initial operating space when he applies himself – will engage contact on shoulder-to-shoulder bouts to win possession .. demonstrates good strength and power potential .. can be more tenacious, compete harder, get nastier at times .. doesn’t use his size away from the puck consistently – just sporadically .. also tends to lose steam once plays fizzle – won’t sustain compete level after being dispossessed.
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-b...oring-respect/

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:26 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Does he have a decent chance of being on the canadian world junior team?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:27 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
22. Anthony Mantha, Left Wing, Val-d'Or (QMJHL)

Mantha made significant strides over the last year, aided by his late birthdate, which gave him an extra year of development. He is a well above-average skater for a big man. He picks up speed quickly, with a certain smoothness in his skating technique. That skating ability, combined with his 6'4" frame, makes him an intriguing physical package. He does possess some skill, but he is more of a good thinker than a fancy puck handler. He can slow the game down, and he exhibits good calmness, often finding the right plays to make with the puck. He shows above-average ability as a passer. He is a top-end finisher, possessing a bullet shot. When he gets an opportunity to one-time a puck, he winds up high, delivering a lot of weight through the shot. He could use some work defensively, as he is not the most physical of players, but he will bump opponents along the boards.
Pronman on Mantha.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:47 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Does he have a decent chance of being on the canadian world junior team?
yes.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:49 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
20. Detroit Red Wings (from Sharks in swap of picks): LW Anthony Mantha (Val d'Or/QMJHL). Absolutely lethal on the PP and has excellent instincts in the offensive zone. Uses his wide body to gain and hold position around the slot and angle defenders away from the puck. Quite agile and light on his feet for a big man. Outstanding shooter with super soft hands. But honestly, does this guy even have a pulse? Plays with absolutely zero fire or passion.

Woodlief's thoughts.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:11 AM
TheNextDaigle

Found this on the main boards:

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:17 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Just in case you guys missed it:

I don't think MacKenzie was really taking a dump on this pick like Captain Bob said, he was just mentioning "scouting reports".

I'll take hockey sense and puck skills instead of the opposite (McKee for example). Competitiveness and physical play can come with development. We're not expecting Milan Lucic here, but he if skates hard every shift and scores goals, I'm fine with that.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:22 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

If you understand French...

Interviewer asks him about intensity issues and he says it's something he's been working on this season and he will the next years too.

Again he reiterates his desire to play for the Red Wings sooner rather than later.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote