HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 02:24 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
2/5 for his shot is just wrong...lol. I know its what TSN gave it..but it's much better than that. It's a pretty hard shot and he gets it off with a rather quick release. Grant has seen him more though so maybe he can chime in on it.

His skating may be a 3/5 as well but for his size its a 4/5 if anything. Plus those rankings don't factor size or physical play.
I know this is a small sample using the U18 but at his size he should be dominating pretty much everyone at that level and he just doesn't. I see another Louis LeBlanc project/failed project.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:24 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
How bout our HF fan base stops fawning over and OVER ranking our prospects what a novel idea that would be those saying this kid could breat the top 6 seriously. Just like the love for Louis LeBlanc who I never agreed with and it looks like he is no longer in our plans when thoe below him are now passing him on the depth charts. How bout we stop over valueing these guys.
How about you be neutral until you get a clue.

You dont know mccaron, so stop cpmplaining.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:25 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
How about you be neutral until you get a clue.

You dont know mccaron, so stop cpmplaining.
You do? Please enlighten us I am waiting.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:26 AM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
How bout our HF fan base stops fawning over and OVER ranking our prospects what a novel idea that would be those saying this kid could breat the top 6 seriously. Just like the love for Louis LeBlanc who I never agreed with and it looks like he is no longer in our plans when thoe below him are now passing him on the depth charts. How bout we stop over valueing these guys.
Grant picked Mike McCarron to get picked before the draft. He was pleased with the pick, he is an ex-NHL scout. I take his opinion over yours any day (or mine on this draft for that matter). Give it a rest already, non MTL fans are all saying we had a good draft as well. Let the players all develop and then you can tell everyone 5 years from now how right you are. Throw it on a resume and apply for Timmins job.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:38 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Are you retarded? This thread is almost completely full of people who hate this pick because of the lack of obvious upside. You know, the kind of upside you would be considering with such a ******** metric as "x/5" in a handful of categories.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:43 AM

I didn't like his interview. I have to watch it again but he seemed like he thinks too highly of himself. "I like to fight".

We'll see if you like to fight when Lucic comes after you.

And if he wants to fight, go to the OHL playing for Hunter.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:48 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I didn't like his interview. I have to watch it again but he seemed like he thinks too highly of himself. "I like to fight".

Yup. Best way to "Practice" fighting is that way

Old
07-01-2013, 02:53 AM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
Remember that were adding these players to play with the likes of subban, galchenyuk, eller, gallagher,etc. They went for home runs this year and i love it. McCarron will be a player who develops a competent scoring touch when he gets to play with the kind of players i mentioned, just like lucic did. People seem to complain any time a prospect has a hole in their game. But this draft was about adding balance to our prospect pool. Love this draft long term

Old
07-01-2013, 02:57 AM
NotProkofievian

No one's a good fighter at 18. It's something that has to be learned, and the best fighters in the NHL generally do spend a long time learning it. I too would like to see him in London, and maybe work with Shane Churla at learning the ropes.

However, I like his potential in this regard.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:57 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:

Yeah i got a bit of the same feeling at first, he even said he'd make Lucic know he is here, attache ta tuque avec de la broche if you wan't to fight guys of the likes of Lucic, it's not a kid's game anymore. But at the same time i got the feeling that it's a good thing he thinks this way as he didn't sound too pretentious, more enthusiastic.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:04 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Yeah i got a bit of the same feeling at first, he even said he'd make Lucic know he is here, attache ta tuque avec de la broche if you wan't to fight guys of the likes of Lucic, it's not a kid's game anymore. But at the same time i got the feeling that it's a good thing he thinks this way as he didn't sound too pretentious, more enthusiastic.
He's not a kid anymore. He is already larger than Lucic, and not by a little bit. Almost 2 inches and ~10-15 lbs. Lucic would dust him today, and maybe always, but I wonder how bad he would do after a few years working with the Hunters and Chainsaw Churla.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:12 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
He's not a kid anymore. He is already larger than Lucic, and not by a little bit. Almost 2 inches and ~10-15 lbs. Lucic would dust him today, and maybe always, but I wonder how bad he would do after a few years working with the Hunters and Chainsaw Churla.
For sure.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
he's 18, so yes he's still a kid.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:26 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Not particularly excited about the pick, kinda wanted Zykov. Still, time will tell how this pick plays out.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:27 AM
DJ Breadman

I don't know anything about the kids offensive upside i've just never seen him play, but I don't mind if we toss a guy out there who isn't afraid to do something stupid every now and then, bout time we had a player or two like that, I say two cause we have white

Old
07-01-2013, 03:52 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

I didn't like his interview with Duthie but I liked him a lot better when he met the media. Seemed more self effacing and even dare I say 'sweet'? Doesn't seem like a meat head at all. I'd go so far as saying that this 'interview' actually got me quite excited about him.

I liked that he said he could play on the 4th line or the 1st as well.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:26 AM
25get

Quote:
I know this is a small sample using the U18 but at his size he should be dominating pretty much everyone at that level and he just doesn't. I see another Louis LeBlanc project/failed project.
At least, it took 2 years to be able to get an evaluation of Leblanc.
I really admire your ability to do it in less than a day.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:57 AM
Corncob

Main downside of this pick is that he'll be instantly proclaimed a bust if during the first game he plays he doesn't do a full tour of the ice with Lucic under one arm and Chara under the other playing bongos on their heads....

Old
07-01-2013, 08:31 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:

Dale Hunter and Shane Churla should be able to help.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
HabsSlappy

I am dumbfounded that half the posts on this board have to do with fans inferiority complex because we have a small team. Then when we get a monster forward who might be able to play, at #25 mind you, everyone complains. If you want this type of player you have to draft them and nowadays with the Lucic envy, you have to reach a little.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:34 AM
domdo345

Quote:
A bit out of topic but Lucic is 6'3 only because he has a hunched back...In reality he has the arms/legs and strengh of a 6'6 guy. That's why he's so powerfull compared to other guys his size.

Edit: pretty happy with the pick after all the players taken before. We could have waited in the second round but then again, we got 2 solide players in De la rose and Fucale. When he's ready for a starting job (if he's ever, we never know for sure), either him or Price will net a HUGE return.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
Main downside of this pick is that he'll be instantly proclaimed a bust if during the first game he plays he doesn't do a full tour of the ice with Lucic under one arm and Chara under the other playing bongos on their heads....
What's sad is it seems like all anyone cares about is how he matches up with Lucic in a fight.

Hopefully that wasn't the motivating factor in drafting him. Even if he's more of say, a Bickell type than a Lucic type, he will definitely fit a need in a few years. Maybe it was a reach, but it wasn't like we were drafting in the top 15, the guys left with more offensive upside like Zykov and Erne have their own questions.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Playoff Beard

Comparable to Brian Boyle in any way? Picked around the same spot, both huge (Boyle is bigger), both projects. Boyle is a valuable player to the Rangers now, but took some years to pan out.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
LeHab

Welcome to Montreal kid!

But Timmins another 1st round draft from USHL.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
respect the D

some of you can never be happy can you, you wanted size. you got size, and still not happy. Didn't know much about him but here is what I have read.

“A revelation in the tournament, McCarron should continue his rise up many draft boards. At 6-5, 225, he doesn’t have to do much to be noticeable, but it seemed he was doing something every time out. Not just a bruising forward, McCarron showed terrific skating and puck skills. He was incredibly difficult to out battle along the boards and while he didn’t throw his weight around a ton, he showed he can be physical. McCarron has elite puck skills for a player of his size and showed both a willingness to distribute and a lack of fear of his shot, which is quite good. His footwork is solid enough and improving. There’s a good chance a team is going to take the risk late in the first round just because of McCarron’s immense upside. His decision-making could improve a bit, but the physical tools are right where they need to be at this point. McCarron could turn into a heck of a pro hockey player down the line.”

“Mike McCarron is huge. There is no other way of saying it. He towers over everyone else on the ice, and he seems to recognize his strengths and limitations in that respect.

McCarron plays what I like to call a no-frills game. He plays simple, straight line hockey. He goes to the net and sets up shop. When he has the puck, he’s not looking to get fancy with it. He either shoots it or gets it to one of his teammates. He isn’t going to beat anyone in a stickhandling contest or a race, so he doesn’t bother trying. You like to see that a guy like that understands what his role and capabilities are, and McCarron clearly does.”

“McCarron is a valuable physical beast on skates for the United States Development Program’s Under-18 squad, especially when they play the bigger competition of their NCAA schedule. He is a north/south winger that plays up to his size and makes opponents look over their shoulders for his number when he is on the ice. He relishes all contact and wreaks havoc along the wall and in front of the net. He has some impressive tools like strong skating ability, balance on his feet and a hard shot off the rush as well as the ability to finish in close but is not overly creative and needs to compliment an offensive minded linemate to get best results.”

So? where is the problem with this choice?, seems to meet our needs perfectly.

Closed Thread