HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 06:57 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

vCash: 500
kid said in his interview that he was 6'5 (1/2) and 235 lbs

235 lbs :megusta:

Old
07-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Et le But

That much bulk at his age is pretty much uncharted territory too, the infamous Hugh Jessiman for instance was a good 20 lbs lighter when drafted.

Assuming he can skate faster than a tank, it's probably good for his balance.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:05 PM
StellerEller
Neednewname:(

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
kid said in his interview that he was 6'5 (1/2) and 235 lbs

235 lbs :megusta:
When I saw the picture of him at camp today, he looked so skinny and I doubted the weight claims we have been hearing. But the more I think about it, he's so tall and his legs look very thick from what we've seen on the ice. I can't wait to see what he looks like when he fills out. It will probably not be much more than he weighs now, but the muscle/fat ratio, and the conditioning he will gain could make him an absolute monster.

My Wild Guess: 6ft6.5, 243 Lbs.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:10 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Put him on the Byfuglien diet.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:15 PM
StellerEller
Neednewname:(

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Put him on the Byfuglien diet.
I actually could see him as a Buff type player size wise. He obviously is naturally thinner, but it seems like he has so much natural mass for a guy his height (as opposed to someone like Tinordi, who still needs to fill out). I hope he can perfect the Holmstrom/Big Buff art of screening. He'll be a hard guy to move.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:46 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Count me in as a fan of the guy! Its nice to hear the Habs a such interest in him, it means he was really one of their guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller
I actually could see him as a Buff type player size wise. He obviously is naturally thinner, but it seems like he has so much natural mass for a guy his height (as opposed to someone like Tinordi, who still needs to fill out). I hope he can perfect the Holmstrom/Big Buff art of screening. He'll be a hard guy to move.
I can definitely see him being a Byfuglien clone (but strictly forward of course). Much more so than a Lucic clone.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:10 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Before draft had 800 Twitter followers.
After draft by today he has 8400 followers.

Come on Hab fans you are slacking he should be around 30,000 by now

Old
07-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Dr_Hook

What would you guys think about Mammoth Mike pulling a Louis Leblanc : 1 year in college where he could spend more time in the gym and have time to work on his on-ice abilities, skating etc... Then bolt to London in 2014-2015 so he can play a bunch of games, grow accustomed to a more physical style, fight...

Better of both worlds ?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Price My Man Crush

Pulling a "Louis Leblanc" might not be a good idea. He must become accustomed to a professional schedule and he doesn't need to lose time with a year in college and then coming here in the CHL...

It doesn't help a kid in his development.

Old
07-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Spotted: Timmins (with a Habs t-shirt on) and Andy Murray chatting at the development camp and doing so right near where the fans sit.

No doubt McCarron related.

Old
07-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

I don't see how he doesn't go to London. It's a no brainer

Old
07-04-2013, 07:06 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
What would you guys think about Mammoth Mike pulling a Louis Leblanc : 1 year in college where he could spend more time in the gym and have time to work on his on-ice abilities, skating etc... Then bolt to London in 2014-2015 so he can play a bunch of games, grow accustomed to a more physical style, fight...

Better of both worlds ?
Crushing 2nd tier NHL prospects, who are under 6 feet tall at 170-190lbs, while skating to just stand in front of the net does not sound good. I would much rather have him on a quasi-nhl schedule with the Hunters, while playing against 1st teir prospects with size. Komisarek anyone? Hope the kid understands this.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Really liked this part:

"The Habs newcomer hopes to learn some French, saying brightly that his Quebec-born grandmother “knows some words, obviously all the bad words, and I’m sure she’ll teach them to me."

Old
07-04-2013, 07:24 PM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Crushing 2nd tier NHL prospects, who are under 6 feet tall at 170-190lbs, while skating to just stand in front of the net does not sound good. I would much rather have him on a quasi-nhl schedule with the Hunters, while playing against 1st teir prospects with size. Komisarek anyone? Hope the kid understands this.
This.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:28 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Komisarek was actually pretty good before the Lucic incident, so that argument is complete ********. Actually your whole argument is ********. I'm confident NCAA teams (2nd tier prospects) would beat CHL teams (1st tier prospects) if they were to face each other.

You're right about the schedule, though.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:32 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Is Gauthier the next Colborne?
More like Chipchura perhaps

Old
07-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally and Chucky View Post
I don't see how he doesn't go to London. It's a no brainer
Murray seems to be a pretty good salesman. Just the fact taht he's here says A WHOLE LOT. And no..he's not here for Cichy....

Old
07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Komisarek was actually pretty good before the Lucic incident, so that argument is complete ********. Actually your whole argument is ********. I'm confident NCAA teams (2nd tier prospects) would beat CHL teams (1st tier prospects) if they were to face each other.

Glad I was right about something.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Habs

He's built like Kozlov

Old
07-05-2013, 06:08 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post

Better of both worlds ?
I can see him pulling more of a max pacioretty.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post

Well if you go by that logic, then you could argue that learning how to fight properly would have helped Komisarek face Lucic and therefore would have helped avoid the incident that led to his decline. Hence the CHL route for McCarron would be better for him in that regard also.

From my perspective, the NCAA route teaches players how to be a jack of all trades/master of none. That's not to say its the wrong route, but there's a tendency for players coming out of the NCAA to have a nice balance of skills, but to lack that "wow" factor. Essentially the NCAA churns out highly polished products.

The CHL however, puts players in a bunch more game situations and mimes the rigors of an nhl schedule and the realities of pro hockey. I see guys coming out of the CHL who may not have the sheen of the NCAA, but have great instincts and situational awareness. Basically, the CHL (again, in my mind) churns out hockey players.

Now I concede that what i just typed makes it seem like i favor the CHL but that really isn't the case. I just have an inkling that, in this case, we have a 6"10 340lb linebacker of a prospect (height and weight taken from hockeybs.com) who seems to be good at crowding the crease, mucking it up in the corners, and standing up for teammates. While it would obviously be wonderful if he could develop into this five tool specimen that can skate, pass, deke, shoot, hit, fight, etc. maybe focusing on the 3 or 4 things he's already very good at isn't necessarily a bad thing?

If he chooses to go to central michigan i would not be upset and it might end up being very good for his development in the long run. Maybe im selling the development process of the NCAA short. I just think that the way that McCarron is going to make an impact in the NHL is by focusing on developing the tools he has and learning how to implement them in game situations, and I think the CHL is the best route to do that.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
He's built like Kozlov
Viktor I presume?

Old
07-05-2013, 06:38 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Well if you go by that logic, then you could argue that learning how to fight properly would have helped Komisarek face Lucic and therefore would have helped avoid the incident that led to his decline. Hence the CHL route for McCarron would be better for him in that regard also.

From my perspective, the NCAA route teaches players how to be a jack of all trades/master of none. That's not to say its the wrong route, but there's a tendency for players coming out of the NCAA to have a nice balance of skills, but to lack that "wow" factor. Essentially the NCAA churns out highly polished products.

The CHL however, puts players in a bunch more game situations and mimes the rigors of an nhl schedule and the realities of pro hockey. I see guys coming out of the CHL who may not have the sheen of the NCAA, but have great instincts and situational awareness. Basically, the CHL (again, in my mind) churns out hockey players.

Now I concede that what i just typed makes it seem like i favor the CHL but that really isn't the case. I just have an inkling that, in this case, we have a 6"10 340lb linebacker of a prospect (height and weight taken from hockeybs.com) who seems to be good at crowding the crease, mucking it up in the corners, and standing up for teammates. While it would obviously be wonderful if he could develop into this five tool specimen that can skate, pass, deke, shoot, hit, fight, etc. maybe focusing on the 3 or 4 things he's already very good at isn't necessarily a bad thing?

If he chooses to go to central michigan i would not be upset and it might end up being very good for his development in the long run. Maybe im selling the development process of the NCAA short. I just think that the way that McCarron is going to make an impact in the NHL is by focusing on developing the tools he has and learning how to implement them in game situations, and I think the CHL is the best route to do that.
Thank you! Have been drinking and dared not try a lucid response THIS!!!

Old
07-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Maliki2

I he ok after being hit in the face today?!?

Old
07-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Viktor I presume?
Vladimir.

Closed Thread