HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres acquire Jamie McBain and 2nd Rounder (JT Compher) from Canes for Andrej Sekera

Old
06-30-2013, 09:28 PM
zbubble

vCash: 500
Some journalist said that Darcy Regier said the Sabres started rebuilding when they traded Gaustad, so it must be true. Do not question it!

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I like how instead of debating whether or not Darcy should have taken the original Carolina deal...we're debating whether or not a GM telling a journalist something directly counts as good information.
I'd rather not debate the validity, but hypothetically if it's true I'm almost stunned that Regier turned it down. It would've been Monahan/Lindholm vs Ristolainen and Compher (plus McBain and minus Sekera either way). My crystal ball doesn't work so only time will tell.

Edit - I think if that trade was announced after #4 we all would've been jumping up and down (except for Rob Paxon, no disrespect). Just the pleasure of the Canes board meltdown would've been worth it.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Or Ristolainen was their guy and they saw no reason to do that trade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
It is possible that risto was their guy that they wouldve taken at 5 or 8 so maybe this is better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Risto was their main then. Deal with it or change teams Trottier style.
Listening to the interview Brian Duff did with Regier this morning, Regier suggested that he thought they would end up picking at the 8th and 16th spots; when Duff asked if Regier still wanted to move up, Regier said they were still exploring options but felt that the guy they really wanted would likely still be available at 8th. That certainly fits with Ristolainen's ranking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Sekera always seemed to me to not be in the long-term plans.

Ehrhoff and Myers are the guys with heavy investment.
Pysyk, McNabb, Ruhwedel, McCabe and lesser prospects were the pipeline.

Weber and Sekera were the non-key established players.
Perfect summation - that's really the crux of the matter. For the reasons you cited, Regier probably felt his only asset on defense that could appeal to other teams and which the Sabres could part with was Sekera. I don't think it's a reflection of how the organization didn't value Sekera as much as it was simple acknowledgement that dealing him was the lesser of all evils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I bet McBain ends up in Rochester
Not likely - he'd have to clear waivers to be demoted and there's no way Regier would risk losing him to a claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSerling View Post
McBain was with the USNTDP at the same time as Ron Rolston. Not sure if it matters much but there is some familiarity there.
Good point - given how highly Pegula and Regier spoke of Rolston's teaching skills, they probably dismissed the issues McBain had with Muller in Carolina and trust he's still young enough at 25 to grow under Rolston's tutelage.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'd rather not debate the validity, but hypothetically if it's true I'm almost stunned that Regier turned it down. It would've been Monahan/Lindholm vs Ristolainen and Compher (plus McBain and minus Sekera either way). My crystal ball doesn't work so only time will tell.
In all seriousness, I think Regier and the scouts think RR is the next Lidstrom, and would have taken him over those two anyway.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
In all seriousness, I think Regier and the scouts think RR is the next Lidstrom, and would have taken him over those two anyway.
I like RR, so I certainly hope they're right.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
If that's the case, I hope they're right. That's quite the comparison.

Rhett4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Some journalist said that Darcy Regier said the Sabres started rebuilding when they traded Gaustad, so it must be true. Do not question it!

Your post makes it sound as if a journalist put words in Regier's mouth but Regier did make that reference to the rebuilding beginning with the Gaustad trade - it was in the press conference with Black that was posted for everyone to listen to. As I recall, Black answered a question that pointed to the Pominville trade as a sign of starting in a different direction - afterwhich Regier jumped in with his elaboration.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Not sure how they would form that comparison - from what the TSN analysts and Button said of Ristolainen, his size, shot and aggressiveness are all features that Lidstrom wasn't known for.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:44 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Really said to see Sekera go, but if they're rebuilding anyway, fine.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Now that it has settled in a bit...I still don't like the move but I can tolerate it a little.

Sekera IMO should have been a guy to keep around through the rebuild. But it is what it is. McBain though is pure garbage.
Same, it stings because I've been a huge Rej fan for years and was exciting that he finally put it together. I was hoping he'd be here for the future but I do like Compher. McBain is meh at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I think it's more likely that the proposed trade was #5 and McBain for #8, Sekera and another pick. And Regier, in true Regier fashion, balked at giving up the extra pick and settled for Ristolainen.
Or he didn't see it as settling for Ristolainen. I had him in the same tier as Lindholm and Monahan, it's not unreasonable to think he was #5 on the Sabres board. Also, they probably didn't think Zadarov would be there at 16, I certainly didn't, so maybe Regier would have done it if he knew that. Too many variables to know anything concrete.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Prospector74

We traded a guy who was decent but would not necessarily be around for the long term in an area of future projected strength for the team (NOTE: assuming he would require a significant salary increase in 2 years to keep him from FA). In return we picked up a good pick in the second round and McBain who is only $1.8M on a cap hit for one year but still an RFA next year. If McBain rebounds, great. It then goes down as a steal and you resign him as an RFA. If he tanks, then it's painless to let him walk or move him for peanuts at the deadline and still have Compher in the pipeline.

WRT the #5 and #8 deal, I would be fine with it if they had done that but also fine that they did not. Lindholm/Monahan are not sure things and a step below the top 3 forwards.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:46 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Your post makes it sound as if a journalist put words in Regier's mouth but Regier did make that reference to the rebuilding beginning with the Gaustad trade - it was in the press conference with Black that was posted for everyone to listen to. As I recall, Black answered a question that pointed to the Pominville trade as a sign of starting in a different direction - afterwhich Regier jumped in with his elaboration.

Do you believe what Regier said to be true?

Old
06-30-2013, 09:49 PM
joshjull

Didn't realize McBain played for Rolston. Hopefully that will get him going

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Not sure how they would form that comparison - from what the TSN analysts and Button said of Ristolainen, his size, shot and aggressiveness are all features that Lidstrom wasn't known for.
Sorry I did not mean to imply a direct comparison to Lidstrom's style of play, I meant the "role" the Sabres want him to be for the next 10 years - #1 D, minutes eater, calm under pressure, great hockey sense, can play all facets of the game. If the stars align he could be a top D man in this league and a perennial Norris candidate. At least that could be the upside. I think they have their doubts about Myers. I know I do.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It'd be nice if Rolston thinks he can get McBain back on track. He has to get Myers back on track, too, though, so he has his work cut out for him. Might be hard to do for a coach without any assistants

Rhett4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
going where?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:04 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Question. Is this Rolston move? Does he know him from U.? Development program

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
aceface33

Had a feeling there might be a Rolston connection here with McBain.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:34 PM
MagnumForce

The trade would have looked better if we had drafted Fucale. Zykov or Santini.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Caniac16

Quote:
Well to be fair, as far as I know, we don't have a direct record of Rutherford saying that, we have a record of Chip Alexander claiming Rutherford said it. It's hearsay and wouldn't hold up in court. It might as well be my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night.
If you go to hurricanes.com the front page theres a interview with JR and you can hear it straight from him

Caniac16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Rasmus Reichel

****ing darth talks about wanting to move up and passes up on it

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post

Edit - I think if that trade was announced after #4 we all would've been jumping up and down (except for Rob Paxon, no disrespect). Just the pleasure of the Canes board meltdown would've been worth it.
I would have been jumping up and down as well. I always maintained Lindholm was my top target, then Monahan/Ristolainen.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

McBain won't be in Rochester. If we don't make any additions/subtractions on D he will be at worst our #7. Other guys have waiver eligibility and could be splitting time between Rochester and Buffalo if need be. Regardless of what you guys think of McBain they aren't going to just waive him.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:18 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Darcy wasnt forfeiting a pick. Instead of swapping a first we still got the player for player but added a very high 2nd round pick.

Getting the 35th pick in an extremely deep draft is being very undervalued. Is the difference between RR and Monahan/Lindholm a prospect who would be a 1st rounder in nearly any other draft ? I don't think it is. This team needs help everywhere and I think Darcy's plan to amass multiple 2nd round picks is smart. Add high quality prospects all over the lineup instead of marginally upgrading one.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
McBain won't be in Rochester. If we don't make any additions/subtractions on D he will be at worst our #7. Other guys have waiver eligibility and could be splitting time between Rochester and Buffalo if need be. Regardless of what you guys think of McBain they aren't going to just waive him.
yea, we're not that lucky... we're going to have watch him

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote