HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie McBain and #35 for D Andrej Sekera

Old
06-30-2013, 06:38 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOpie View Post
Law of averages. I'm not against Sekera per se, I'm just now bowled over by the trade. And we just never seem to get the throw in pick that everybody else does. So maybe a 4th rounder doesn't make it to the show, but they are assets and WE NEED ASSETS!
We're always throwing in picks, because we're always adding players with negative value to the deal.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
One of the few times JR outright wins a trade and there are still complaints.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:41 PM
kenfury

I did not read the entire thread but as a Sabres fan I am Pissed about this deal. While Sekera is not a top two he is a great 2nd pairing Dman. You guys will never realize what he did (as buffalo fans did not) because he is so simple, quiet, and just very effective. He will be out there in the last two minutes if you are up a goal because he is the smare/safe pick. Can hit but will do so only to get the puck not to take the man. Think Lidstrom minus a bit of everything.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
jstaal
go canes go

yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavex View Post
I'm fine with this. Ditto!

Some of you need to stop crying like a two year old who just dropped his cone of ice cream
ditto

jstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:44 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Sabres fans are happy about what we got?
I was speaking about it from the POV of the organizations themselves, not the fans. Sabres management was apparently happy enough, though you're certainly within your rights to be angry at Sabres management.

Seriously, McBain can be a very good player, but only if somebody figures out how to motivate him into actually putting the work in. Change of scenery may be just what he needs.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:45 PM
bluedevil58

I like this trade. Sekera seems like a solid blue liner that knows how to play D.

bluedevil58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:48 PM
TheBigKahuna

I actually REALLY like the McBain for Sekera trade, but leaving Fucale out there, man, that's a tough pill to swallow.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:49 PM
GoCanes2013

With Mcbain's play last year, and knowing he's a RFA next year, and Sekera's nice age (27) and cap hit for 2 years, I think this could be a pretty good trade for us. More BUF fans seem to think we fleeced them, so there is that as well. Would have been nice to have a 3/4 rounder but all in all, we added Lindholm+Sekera+probably Murphy to next year's roster? And lost Mcbain? That feels pretty good actually - I think we'll be better than we were last year just with these moves.

GoCanes2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOpie View Post
I'm quoting a Buffalo fan from another thread.
Yes I'll back you up that I was the one that quoted 66 games (based on his non-rookie seasons playing part time). OTOH, he really isn't injury prone. I guess it's opinion but no Sabres fans have EVER been aggravated with Sekera missing time. Just be patient and you'll see how effective he is.

BTW, with what JR confirmed about the potential 1st rd deal that didn't happen, you just might want to give me some credit that I know what I'm talking about. I suggested Sekera and #8 for #5 and #35/#66. McBain is probably right between the value of #35/#66.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:55 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Yes I'll back you up that I was the one that quoted 66 games (based on his non-rookie seasons playing part time). OTOH, he really isn't injury prone. I guess it's opinion but no Sabres fans have EVER been aggravated with Sekera missing time. Just be patient and you'll see how effective he is.

BTW, with what JR confirmed about the potential 1st rd deal that didn't happen, you just might want to give me some credit that I know what I'm talking about. I suggested Sekera and #8 for #5 and #35/#66. McBain is probably right between the value of #35/#66.
Credit given!

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Sabresfansince1980

...and believe me, if that 1st rd offer was on the table and Regier said "no"...well, I'm not prone to breaking stuff but I REALLY wanted Monahan.

Sekera will be good for 22 mins. No flash, but effective. Maybe under Muller he'll have more chances to collect pts, he does have the skill to do more in the O-zone.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Jussijuice

I'm ok with this, I see why they did it. JR is in win-now or lose job mode. For the next 2 years it makes the D better at a low cost, ok. McBain is worthless to me, don't care about that.

The only thing that dissapoints me is the attitude of sacrificing the future for now. A guy like Santini is every bit as good as Justin Faulk as a prospect coming out of the USNDTP. Less offensive but better in his own zone. He could bust, sure, but he could also be a top-4 mainstay on the cheap for the next 10 years. You never find out unless you take that chance, but the Canes constantly squander those chances for win-now band aids. Guys like Sanguinetti and Nash in the past haven't worked out well, Sekera might be more established but he is also likely gone in 2 years.

Sekera will likelu bring back a 2nd as a rental if the Canes struggle, so nothing really lost, but in that case they are just back at square one.

Edit: I do feel better knowing the alternative was losing Lindholm and dropping to 8th for Sekera. Would have been very upset by that deal.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
After the Pesce pick, I'm "more okay" with the trade. I also understand the win now mentality with Staal/Ward/Ruutu/Gleason in or around their prime. Sekera fits a need if our Buffalo friends are correct about him being a solid #3-#4 guy. I just hate that our cupboard is as bare as it is and we can't seem to pick up the extra picks....not just in this trade but at the draft in general.

I understand exactly why JR did this and support the move....like I said I'm not blown away by it but hope, as a fan, it proves to be stellar.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

So do we still look at options during free agency this summer? Or bring in a camp tryout vet or two? Just in case Murphy isn't ready yet....and we don't want to start the year with Sangs getting regular time?

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:30 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Luke DeCock ‏@LukeDeCock
Rutherford on rebuilding defense: "The urgency is not there as much because we got Sekera. We'll continue to look around."

Probably not much if anything.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Jussijuice

Sangs likely won't be re-signed, he's a UFA.

I'd like to see Hainsey brought in and 7 D played (before inevitable injuries), but that is likely not happening.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Changing one piece will not fix that mess of a blue line we have.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Cares View Post
Changing one piece will not fix that mess of a blue line we have.
Not having Corvo or McBain is a step in the right direction.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
No plan. No patience. No concept on how to manage a draft. It really doesn't make me happy that they continue to mess up. I'd really like it to stop, but I see no reason to think that JR will spontaneously change the way he does things.
Earlier you stated there was no plan. Just receiving calls and it's now clear this the guy JR targeted. Whether you think he's THE guy - I personally don't - you're contradicting yourself.

He had a guy in mind and he proactively went after him. Not a great value but better than original proposal including 1st rounders. You need to make up your mind, as you vacillate between no plan and than not liking the plan.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Luke DeCock ‏@LukeDeCock
Rutherford on rebuilding defense: "The urgency is not there as much because we got Sekera. We'll continue to look around."

Now this...this you can be ticked at JR about.

Adding Sekera doesn't make a ****** defense suddenly acceptable. It just makes it less ******

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:48 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Luke DeCock ‏@LukeDeCock

And that's the first thing jr did to truly annoy me today. Sekera does not make this a playoff defense. We weren't bad because Pitts was hurt. We were bad because even healthy this d isn't good enough. If he thinks this is enough he is still delusional and we are in for another mediocre year.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
And that's the first thing jr did to truly annoy me today. Sekera does not make this a playoff defense. We weren't bad because Pitts was hurt. We were bad because even healthy this d isn't good enough. If he thinks this is enough he is still delusional and we are in for another mediocre year.
To be fair. I think what he means (at least how I read the tweet) is that we need to continue to fix, but atm, what we can nice now vs. what we iced at the end of the season is 10x better.

Do we need an extra solid defenceman or two? Yes, absolutely.

Do we need to rush out and over pay for Meszaros? No.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

If Murphy isn't ready or Pitkanen isn't healthy they're screwed.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:56 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

We need to add one more top 4 guy.

Ideally I'd like to pair Gleason with Murphy on the bottom pairing and get another RD to pair with Sekera.

Pitkanen/Sekera - Faulk
Sekera/Pitkanen - ______
Gleason - Murphy
Harrison

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
StormCast

In terms of actual salary, Sekera and McBain essentially are comparable, but Sekera has a higher cap hit. He still isn't the physical D the team lacks. All the more reason to explore moving Pitkanen, as he's more redundant than ever and could free up some $.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote