HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Robert Hagg made his AHL debut March 29 [AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

Old
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I think Ghost is in his 3rd year and said he wants to graduate, I'm thinking we are still another year away from Ghost being in the AHL.

And Hagg will be 19 starting next year, don't you have to be 20 to play in the AHL?
I think that only applies to Canadian juniors but I'm not sure.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I think Ghost is in his 3rd year and said he wants to graduate, I'm thinking we are still another year away from Ghost being in the AHL.

And Hagg will be 19 starting next year, don't you have to be 20 to play in the AHL?
I think that's only if you're from the CHL, could be wrong.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:

Re: Ghost, plans have a way of changing when an NHL team comes calling with an offer. Also, there is nothing preventing him from completing his degree in the off-seasons. Many other players have done so.

Re: Hägg, the AHL age rules only apply to CHL-affiliated players. I do not think he'll play in the AHL next season, but it won't be because of an age restriction.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Most college prospects sign after their junior seasons (at the latest). Can anyone think or find a player/prospect (legit) that played all 4 years of college (not including college FA's like Dan Boyle and Chris Kunitz)? Only one I found is Brian Boyle.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:31 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Most college prospects sign after their junior seasons (at the latest). Can anyone think or find a player/prospect (legit) that played all 4 years of college (not including college FA's like Dan Boyle and Chris Kunitz)? Only one I found is Brian Boyle.
Ghost was drafted after his Freshman year though. Those guys were probably in college for three years post-draft.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Re: Ghost, plans have a way of changing when an NHL team comes calling with an offer. Also, there is nothing preventing him from completing his degree in the off-seasons. Many other players have done so.

Re: Hägg, the AHL age rules only apply to CHL-affiliated players. I do not think he'll play in the AHL next season, but it won't be because of an age restriction.
I remember Ghost going on record stating he was going to commit to Union for 4 years. Now that can change easily.

He also is an engineering major. He could of picked something easier but my thoughts are he wants to get his degree also. Seems like a smart guy in that regards.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:47 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
I believe Matt Read played 4 years of college hockey.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I believe Matt Read played 4 years of college hockey.
He was a free agent though, not drafted already.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
I believe the Isles let Anders Lee go back to Notre Dame to finish out his classes last year when it was clear they weren't going to use him anymore in the playoffs.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Ghost was drafted after his Freshman year though. Those guys were probably in college for three years post-draft.
Draft year is irrelevant really. Whether he gets drafted out of high school or as a college freshman, it is irrelevant on his development. He's playing for a university, not an NHL organization. Zach Parise got drafted after his freshman year as well. He signed after his sophomore season. Hypothetically if Gostisbehere were born 5 months later, 2012 would have been his first year of being draft eligible anyway.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Justin Schultz played one year in the BCHL & then three years in college after his draft year. He was drafted in his first year of eligibility but has a some what similar path like Gostisbehere if he were to leave after this year.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:30 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Draft year is irrelevant really. Whether he gets drafted out of high school or as a college freshman, it is irrelevant on his development. He's playing for a university, not an NHL organization. Zach Parise got drafted after his freshman year as well. He signed after his sophomore season. Hypothetically if Gostisbehere were born 5 months later, 2012 would have been his first year of being draft eligible anyway.
I know. I was just pointing out that it's not exactly the same situation. Another year in college wouldn't be terrible, even if it's not what everyone wants. The kid is still skinny as all hell and might be better served with another year against lesser players to get stronger. I still think he turns pro though.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 05:47 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I know. I was just pointing out that it's not exactly the same situation. Another year in college wouldn't be terrible, even if it's not what everyone wants. The kid is still skinny as all hell and might be better served with another year against lesser players to get stronger. I still think he turns pro though.
He's been there for 3 years now. He's still undersized. Don't you think it would be better for his development to focus solely on hockey, under a professional strength and conditioning staff? I certainly do. No offense to the staff at Union, but they are general S&C coaches, not sport specific. The AHL has a favorable schedule to develop players physically. The last thing the Flyers want is to stunt his growth as a player playing against inferior talent, getting bored, and developing bad habits. He's too good for that level (I thought that last year as well).

Old
01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He also is an engineering major. He could of picked something easier but my thoughts are he wants to get his degree also. Seems like a smart guy in that regards.
He's a history major now so....

Like Bill said he can go back and take classes like athletes in any other sport if his education is that important.

Old
01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
He's a history major now so....

Like Bill said he can go back and take classes like athletes in any other sport if his education is that important.
Really? Union website lists him as an engineering major still.

Edit: seems like a recent article states he did change. Nevermind then.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
I may be wrong but I thought there was someone who was drafted by a team in the West I think that voided his eligibility by going through all 4 years and not signing at the end I think? I can't remember who though? I thought it was a Ducks prospect? Alexander Killorn of the Lightning went all 4 years, I only know that though because he is on my fantasy team.

As of this past Summer he said he intended to go all 4 years. http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...t-send-message

It is possible that in order to complete all the classes he needs he would have to take a class that is not available in the Summer. Of course that is just hypothetical and could not even be an issue, I'm just saying if he wanted his degree that could be an issue. Interestingly the quote in the above article is about his commitment to his coach, but he also could've said more about wanting to finish for the degree and it just wasn't included.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I may be wrong but I thought there was someone who was drafted by a team in the West I think that voided his eligibility by going through all 4 years and not signing at the end I think? I can't remember who though? I thought it was a Ducks prospect?
You're thinking of Justin Schultz, he left after his junior but found a loophole in the system where he was eligible to be a free agent because he played a year in the BCHL after his draft year & followed by three years in college.

Blake Kessel didn't sign with the Isles after his four years in college & then signed with the Flyers.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 01-14-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old
01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I may be wrong but I thought there was someone who was drafted by a team in the West I think that voided his eligibility by going through all 4 years and not signing at the end I think? I can't remember who though? I thought it was a Ducks prospect? Alexander Killorn of the Lightning went all 4 years, I only know that though because he is on my fantasy team.

Blake Wheeler was one. Phoenix spent the 5th overall pick on him (considered a big reach at the time), he played 4 years at the University of Minnesota, turned down Phoenix's entry level offer and became a UFA.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:45 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You're thinking of Justin Schultz, he left after his junior but found a loophole in the system where he was eligible to be a free agent because he played a year in the BCHL after his draft year & followed by three years in college.

Blake Kessel didn't sign with the Isles after his four years in college & then signed with the Flyers.
It was more along the lines of the Isles not offering him a contract because he didnt have a future

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
It was more along the lines of the Isles not offering him a contract because he didnt have a future
You're right, he also went the Schultz route one year in the USHL followed by three in college then left after his junior year so I was wrong there as well.

Old
01-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You're right, he also went the Schultz route one year in the USHL followed by three in college then left after his junior year so I was wrong there as well.
Same course for Blake Wheeler as well, though I'm sure the Coyotes tried to sign him.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 07:39 AM
FLYguy3911

So Killorn and Brian Boyle are the only guys we came up with? Killorn went to Harvard so I'm sure that degree was a little more valuable.

Gostisbehere gave a political answer when he didn't have a contract offer. What was he supposed to say? 'I can't wait to leave!'

Old
01-15-2014, 09:55 AM
poneill27

Ok Im confused. Is Ghost still ours if he plays his 4th year of college or is there a loophole that he's a free agent?

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?...00&part=sports

Hagg will be playing in two hours... should be on here.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:10 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Ok Im confused. Is Ghost still ours if he plays his 4th year of college or is there a loophole that he's a free agent?
Still property. He was drafted in 2012. He would have to wait until the 2016 offseason I believe.