HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Hagg made his AHL debut March 29 [AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
  #526
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
It's Hägg, learn it, boys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_padus
Get used to it, it's Americanized now.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:59 PM
  #527
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
It's Hägg, learn it, boys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_padus
I would have to copy and paste his name every time. I don't know how to get it otherwise.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
  #528
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
It's Hägg, learn it, boys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_padus
I wouldn't count on that. According to some in here, we have some mysterious players like Kimo, Timo, Kimmonen, Timmonen etc. on our team.

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:06 PM
  #529
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
It's Hägg, learn it, boys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_padus
Sooooo why did I just read a Wiki about a european cherry?

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:07 PM
  #530
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Sooooo why did I just read a Wiki about a european cherry?
Bird Cherry in Swedish is called Hägg.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
  #531
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Bird Cherry in Swedish is called Hägg.
Ahhh ok. Didn't see that.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:17 PM
  #532
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,090
vCash: 500
Good to know .

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:36 PM
  #533
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Nothing new actually. Just a video if someone wants to watch it.

Holmgren on Hägg

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...893&catid=1001

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:15 PM
  #534
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
I wouldn't count on that. According to some in here, we have some mysterious players like Kimo, Timo, Kimmonen, Timmonen etc. on our team.
That's his nickname.

In the video above Homer says "having him here in north America is good for him and good for the flyers down the road". I fully expected him to go back to the SHL but from quotes like that it sounds like he could be in the AHL next season. He did say that it's a stretch to say he'll be in the NHL next season so why exactly would playing a handful of AHL games this season be good for the Flyers down the road? Idk, it just sounds like he's referring to him playing in the AHL beyond the remainder of this season.


Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 03-21-2014 at 07:22 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:20 PM
  #535
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,875
vCash: 500
I like how they cut off before Homer can talk about Folin in that video.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:24 PM
  #536
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I like how they cut off before Homer can talk about Folin in that video.
Well the quote was

Quote:
He’s a good-looking player, big, moves the puck," Holmgren said. "Could he jump right in? Probably on the right team, he could.
Tim didn't provide a quote saying outright that the Flyers were looking to sign him. Is just talking about him in violation of some rules or something? Homer could say Tim writing anything else is just conjecture.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:27 PM
  #537
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
That's his nickname.

In the video above Homer says "having him here in north America is good for him and good for the flyers down the road". I fully expected him to go back to the SHL but from quotes like that it sounds like he could be in the AHL next season. He did say that it's a stretch to say he'll be in the NHL next season so why exactly would playing a handful of AHL games this season be good for the Flyers down the road? Idk, it just sounds like he's referring to him playing in the AHL beyond the remainder of this season.
I wasn't totally serious about the names. I'm pretty sure most of them are nicknames for him. Did you know his "real" nickname is Kime?

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:28 PM
  #538
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
That's his nickname.

In the video above Homer says "having him here in north America is good for him and good for the flyers down the road". I fully expected him to go back to the SHL but from quotes like that it sounds like he could be in the AHL next season. He did say that it's a stretch to say he'll be in the NHL next season so why exactly would playing a handful of AHL games this season be good for the Flyers down the road? Idk, it just sounds like he's referring to him playing in the AHL beyond the remainder of this season.
They have to sort out whether they want him playing internationally in possibly a harder league, or in the AHL which isn't that far off in talent and have him adjust to the smaller rink.

By the sounds of how he was sometimes used overseas, perhaps having a significant role in the AHL and adapting to the rink would be better. families need to be consulted, etc. shrug.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:30 PM
  #539
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
I wasn't totally serious about the names. I'm pretty sure most of them are nicknames for him. Did you know his "real" nickname is Kime?
Bad spelling isn't really a nickname (referring to Kimo, Timmonen etc).

No I was not aware Kime was his nickname. I'm not even sure how that would be pronounced to be honest. I assume it's a Finnish thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
They have to sort out whether they want him playing internationally in possibly a harder league, or in the AHL which isn't that far off in talent and have him adjust to the smaller rink.

By the sounds of how he was sometimes used overseas, perhaps having a significant role in the AHL and adapting to the rink would be better. families need to be consulted, etc. shrug.
I would have to agree with the bold but wtf do I know?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:36 PM
  #540
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I like how they cut off before Homer can talk about Folin in that video.
Just caught the third period of UMass Lowell's game against ND. Frolin is big, skates well, seems a positionally solid defensive d-man. Can't say he really stood out but UML was already up 4-0 and was pretty much dominating play so he just looked like he was doing his job.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:37 PM
  #541
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Bad spelling isn't really a nickname (referring to Kimo, Timmonen etc).

No I was not aware Kime was his nickname. I'm not even sure how that would be pronounced to be honest. I assume it's a Finnish thing?



I would have to agree with the bold but wtf do I know?
Yea it's mostly a Finnish nickname. Timo is an actual Finnish first name.. The pronunciation for Kime is like key-may, I think.

Edit.
I finally found the interview that had this same pronunciation.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...o-Timonen.html


Last edited by Akanon: 03-22-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 08:01 PM
  #542
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,154
vCash: 500
Morin just scored for Rimouski, they're up 2-1 in game 1 of the playoffs.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 11:51 PM
  #543
JHG
Registered User
 
JHG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wynnewood, PA
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Holmgren's mouth makes really gross sounds.

JHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:07 AM
  #544
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG View Post
Holmgren's mouth makes really gross sounds.
Like "no movement clause" or "five-year deal" or "Bryzgalov"?

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:45 AM
  #545
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,177
vCash: 500
Wouldn't the Finnish pronunciation of kimmo actually be kim-oh and not key-moh as we typically say?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:22 AM
  #546
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Wouldn't the Finnish pronunciation of kimmo actually be kim-oh and not key-moh as we typically say?
Sorry for all this off topic talk. But here's two examples of how to pronounce Kimmo.
http://fi.forvo.com/word/kimmo/

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 06:08 AM
  #547
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Like "no movement clause" or "five-year deal" or "Bryzgalov"?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:00 AM
  #548
Flyerss
Registered User
 
Flyerss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,821
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Sorry for all this off topic talk. But here's two examples of how to pronounce Kimmo.
http://fi.forvo.com/word/kimmo/
i pronounced in other way that i've never tried and then checked the link to see if i got it right

When you pronounce it the right, the translation of Kimmo to my language is "like his mother".

like there means he looks like and not he likes something.

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:13 AM
  #549
Doors
Registered User
 
Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
http://www.hockeysverige.se/2014/03/...tet-om-brynas/

Interview in swedish of him today, interesting read. I'm on my phone so use google translate

Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:29 AM
  #550
philly_28
Valar Morghulis
 
philly_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
It's Hägg, learn it, boys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_padus
Riiiiiiiight, I remember vividly everyone making the extra effort for Nödl back when he played with the Flyers.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.