HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Hagg made his AHL debut March 29 [AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

Old
07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
The foreign announcers (Swedish?) were pronouncing it Haygue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Well on Swedish Elite Prospects it has his name as Hägg

Don't the 2 dots above an a give it an "ah" sound when pronounced?
So, no one knows?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Hockey Prospect Black Book write-up (ranked 31):

"Robert has shown us a wide array of play in our viewings. He has looking both outstanding and invisible in different games, and sometimes in the same game. He has has excellent size but generally only seems to use it when he feels it’s absolutely necessary. In the defensive zone he shows good positioning and knowledge of the play going on around him, but can get a little lazy and look uninterested resulting in unnecessary turnovers in his own end. He is capable of passing the puck from long distances but also effectively in the offensive zone. When he loses his focus, that is generally where the puck playing mistakes come. One of Robert’s strongest assets is his shot. He has a big blast he can unload from the point and usually chooses good shooting options. He gets so much power behind it, when it doesn't beat the goaltender generally it results in a nice big rebound for his forwards to jump on. Hagg is a player who we've felt all season long possesses the tools to be a great defenseman but lacks the mindset to be a great defenseman. Robert has the upside to be one of the best defensemen in the entire 2013
NHL Entry Draft. However his downside is just as drastic in the opposite direction. He will be a bit of a risky pick for this draft, but one that could potentially pay off big time."

Quotable: "This is a player that extends scouting meetings. I think he has top 10 ability but he only occasionally flashed it for me. I'd see one shift and love what I saw and then on the next shift he would leave me wondering what he was doing. His compete level was on and off. This was another player I had plenty of conversations about with NHL scouts. It seemed like most teams staffs had a wide range of opinions. Everywhere from top 10 to late 30's" -Mark Edwards

Quotable: "Early in the season my reports were negative, late in the year they were all positive." -NHL scout

Quotable: "At the Hlinka he played like he had a piano on his back. He got much better in my viewings later on this season. I really like him." -NHL scout
I love that description. I am going to use that all the time.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:50 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Basically like "egg" but with an "H" in front of it.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Basically like "egg" but with an "H" in front of it.
I approve this.

Fregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Brozgalov

Swedish poster approved already, but when I took German in highschool the umlaut usually meant add an e after the letter... (seems to be the same reasoning in Swedish?)

Hagg becomes Haegg (Pronounced Hayg)?

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Swedish poster approved already, but when I took German in highschool the umlaut usually meant add an e after the letter... (seems to be the same reasoning in Swedish?)

Hagg becomes Haegg (Pronounced Hayg)?
I took German as well. "Haeg." or "Haygue."

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Appleyard

For those in doubt of pronunciation in regards to what people are writing...

In my (limited) understanding of Swedish (more Scanian tbh!) an a with umlaut can be pronounced in two ways, ae and e, depending on the word, place in word, and region, this is how Hägg is said, by a guy from the same place as Robert:

http://www.forvo.com/word/h%C3%A4gg/

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

I heard it was pronounced "HEEY U GAIIIIIIIZ."

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

He's saying his own namn at the beginning of this video:

He will probably don't even care as long as you don't say "Haag", (H)egg is still the best example I can think of.

Fregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:56 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I don't care how you pronounce his name, just as long as it is spelled right when it's engraved on the Cup.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:59 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I don't care how you pronounce his name, just as long as it is spelled right when it's engraved on the Cup.
If it's as a member of the Flyers they can spell it Heeg for all I care.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:21 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post

He will probably don't even care as long as you don't say "Haag", (H)egg is still the best example I can think of.
Basically, pronounce it the same way you pronounce this guy's last name:

Or like the city in he Netherlands:

https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=of...&ved=0CKMBELYD

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
You think we'll see a Niklas Grossmann type of situation where he throws an extra "G" on the end when he gets to the Flyers? "Starting at left defense for the Philadelphia Flyers, number 31, Robert Haggg!"

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
McClelland

A real deal steal! Huge potentional, came in as a underage(injury replacer) at the Wjc, played great with huge confident and got a lot of toi.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
A real deal steal! Huge potentional, came in as a underage(injury replacer) at the Wjc, played great with huge confident and got a lot of toi.
Hope you are right. I have to admit I was hoping for either Heatherington or Santini at 41. Always wonder about guys who do not give 100% all the time, but I am pulling for him.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Hope you are right. I have to admit I was hoping for either Heatherington or Santini at 41. Always wonder about guys who do not give 100% all the time, but I am pulling for him.
With the morin pick too many defensive d-man of we picked those two. Hagg was bpa and a puckmoving defender. Win-win if i do say so. (Well hes more of a two-way puckmover which is nice. Not pure offense)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

You guys could have the potential steal of the draft right here. I am a huge Hagg fan and I paid close attention to him all year.

There are the Zadarov's and Morin's but those guys are more excellent at particular things and questionable for better transition in skills to pro game but I see Hagg as potentially being the second best defender in this draft if all goes well.

He is one of the best skaters in the draft and has amazing all-around ability. The only reason he made it to second round and not picked mid-first was questionable defensive play in u-18's.

He has great shot, high IQ, amazing skating, great defensive awareness. Basically a great all-around D.

My take on this guy may be very optimistic but then again I was yelling when he didn't make WJC team and then he got in cause of injuries and ended up shocking everyone with a brilliant performance, especially shutting down Yakupov and I believe he was youngest Swede on the team after De La Rose.

Hope he works out for you Philly!

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Brozgalov

Hagg has already become my favorite flyers prospect. I remember watching the WJC tournament and they said the Flyers asked Reneberg about Hagg because they were interested. I don't follow prospects that closely but decided to watch Swedens games more closely keeping an eye on him.

Needless to say I was very impressed. He seems to have a great hockey IQ and just has a solid all around game. He has size but can still skate and be mobile, he can pass, shoot and hit when he needs to, but he seems to keep defense first. I loved watching him take his man and you can see in that video from WJC that he is constantly tracking his target on the ice and he plays the body.

I know there are knocks against him, but they all seem like the type of thing that a player can grow out of. The fact that he himself said he needed to be more consistent I think speaks volumes for his development. A few years down the road I think we will be seeing this guy in orange and black. I am more excited for his defensive game, but it appears he has plenty of offensive potential as well, his slapshot windup is awesome and he has a quick release which is exciting to see.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:56 PM
MP92

I know it's very hard to project, but does anyone see his celing as a top pair defender? Or do you think it's more like a top 4 dman?

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post

Horse's mouth wins!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
You guys could have the potential steal of the draft right here. I am a huge Hagg fan and I paid close attention to him all year.

There are the Zadarov's and Morin's but those guys are more excellent at particular things and questionable for better transition in skills to pro game but I see Hagg as potentially being the second best defender in this draft if all goes well.

He is one of the best skaters in the draft and has amazing all-around ability. The only reason he made it to second round and not picked mid-first was questionable defensive play in u-18's.

He has great shot, high IQ, amazing skating, great defensive awareness. Basically a great all-around D.

My take on this guy may be very optimistic but then again I was yelling when he didn't make WJC team and then he got in cause of injuries and ended up shocking everyone with a brilliant performance, especially shutting down Yakupov and I believe he was youngest Swede on the team after De La Rose.

Hope he works out for you Philly!
Tack.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:23 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I know it's very hard to project, but does anyone see his celing as a top pair defender? Or do you think it's more like a top 4 dman?
Probably top 4 but you never know.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:25 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Ceiling? Number 1 D. A Rafalski type player. What he is more safer to project as? Top 4.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Bill Meltzer compared him to Kim Johnsson which obviously intrigues me.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bill Meltzer compared him to Kim Johnsson which obviously intrigues me.
Maybe soon a GRH name change?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote