HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

JT Compher, RC 35th Overall, 2013

Old
07-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Just as bad as yesterday's interview. Lack of preparedness, just mickey mouse. Schopp... just embarrassingly bad.

07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just as bad as yesterday's interview. Lack of preparedness, just mickey mouse. Schopp... just embarrassingly bad.
Clearly we need to start an HF Sabres board podcast and interview these guys ourselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
That's right but it's still disappointing. The Jurassic Park these song at the draft makes me want to call him Compy.

Relentless, pesky, chirpy...
Seeing as how his true name is Computer, Compy works.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 07-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I cannot stand listening to them during the afternoon.Schopp was talking about a stupid freakin' Candy Crush game app for a phone for a whole 5 minute segment.Are you kidding me?Then the interview with Compher was a joke,Schopp comes off as a rude, condescending buffoon and is just the worst personality on WGR, worse then even Bulldog.He makes Kevin Sylvester look like a great sports talk host.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:04 PM
captngrif

Well, they talked a lot about the holiday tomorrow, so I assume he had his foot out the door during the interview.

Anybody catch when Schopp said he wasn't a fan of fireworks? Come on man, fireworks, seriously how can you not love fireworks!

Would have liked to have heard more about playing against Zemgus. I was at the crunch game where he got smoked bad, concussed. He seemed to rebound form that, hopefully will not have future issues.

captngrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Compher’s intangibles set him apart:
Quote:
Granato, who has experience as a minor league coach with the St. Louis Blues and a scout with the Vancouver Canucks, said J.T. Compher will succeed as a pro because of his intangibles, including his competitive nature.

“If you take a puck from him, you better skate as hard as you’ve ever skated because he’s tracking you down and going to steal it back immediately,” Granato said. “And if he can’t get it back, he’s probably going to whack you or run you into the boards.”

J.T. Compher’s teammates, often the victims of a whack or board run, unanimously voted him team captain at three different tournaments, in part, because of that competitiveness.

“He’s a monster when it comes to competing. It might sound like I’ve overstated that … but it’s pretty incredible,” Granato said.
Quote:
Granato said that dedication will make the difference in college and beyond.

“Anything intangible, as far as an attribute, that I’ve mentioned, he’s a 10,” Granato said.

“That will separate him as he moves along with kids of equal talent.”

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I cannot stand listening to them during the afternoon.Schopp was talking about a stupid freakin' Candy Crush game app for a phone for a whole 5 minute segment.Are you kidding me?Then the interview with Compher was a joke,Schopp comes off as a rude, condescending buffoon and is just the worst personality on WGR, worse then even Bulldog.He makes Kevin Sylvester look like a great sports talk host.
Schopp is generally rude which might be tolerable if he knew sports at all. His Sabres knowledge is weak. Barely better than an average fan. In general, the Buffalo media is third rate which is why -- I hate to say because I don't want people to take it the wrong way -- they are stuck in Buffalo. Tim Graham was the only beat writer at the News that was any good on Sabres. Harrington is like a high school reporter. Sylvester is actually OK on radio, too darn flat for TV. I can live with Paul Hamilton -- at times.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:57 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Schopp is generally rude which might be tolerable if he knew sports at all. His Sabres knowledge is weak. Barely better than an average fan. In general, the Buffalo media is third rate which is why -- I hate to say because I don't want people to take it the wrong way -- they are stuck in Buffalo. Tim Graham was the only beat writer at the News that was any good on Sabres. Harrington is like a high school reporter. Sylvester is actually OK on radio, too darn flat for TV. I can live with Paul Hamilton -- at times.
John Vogl and Bill Hoppe are both pretty good.

I think your comments about being "stuck " are Buffalo is off the mark. Buffalo is just a microcosm of the larger sport reporting world. There are a handful of good reporters surrounded by a much larger group of buffoons

Its a generational thing IMO. Years back we had the likes of Jim Kelly, Larry Felser, Bob Decasere (sp?) among others reporting locally. Kelley is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Felser was a fantastic writer.

I think there are so many positions for sports reporters now due to the explosion of sports media in the last few decades. That its led to the dilution overall of the "talent" not unlike when leagues expand. Folks that otherwise wouldn't be in the business are now. There are so many jobs to fill. The tone of sports coverage has changed as well. Its less about well fleshed out articles and informed opinions and more about being controversial or contrarian for its own sake.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

I think your comments about being "stuck " are Buffalo is off the mark. Buffalo is just a microcosm of the larger sport reporting world. There are a handful of good reporters surrounded by a much larger group of buffoons

Its a generational thing IMO. Years back we had the likes of Jim Kelly, Larry Felser, Bob Decasere (sp?) among others reporting locally. Kelley is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Felser was a fantastic writer.

I think there are so many positions for sports reporters now due to the explosion of sports media in the last few decades. That its led to the dilution overall of the "talent" not unlike when leagues expand. Folks that otherwise wouldn't be in the business are now. There are so many jobs to fill. The tone of sports coverage has changed as well. Its less about well fleshed out articles and informed opinions and more about being controversial or contrarian for its own sake.
Those guys are both solid. Agreed. I don't mean to insult Buffalo. I'm more Sabres fan but I defend Buffalo all the time in Toronto. It's a great town, there's is something truly authentic about its people -- way less of the phonies that litter my town.
You will have great journalists who choose to stay in small towns or mid-size towns for family and other reasons. But many are looking to move up and out.
Frankly, the beat coverage in Buffalo is very weak. Reporters break very little and rely on releases or just follow leads from Canadian outlets like TSN. The writing isn't too bad in the News at least compared to WGR which seems to not proofread anything online.
The columns put up by the radio station could be written by high school students. I have stopped reading most of them other than dude who does by the numbers.
Most disturbing for me is the Buffalo News antagonism towards the Sabres and its owner. I've rarely seen anything like it. It's on par with the media and Toronto's current mayor -- who may or may not be on crack. It's hard to imagine what Pegula has done to deserve the biased reporter he's faced from News. That's my two cents.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

Agreed. That goes for all journalism. The whole profession is over saturated. Half these guys shouldnt even be writing for school newspaper. Sadly it is no longer about reporting the news...it's about creating the news.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:19 AM
Superhero

From what I Compher could be a bigger version of a Brad Marchant with a bit less of scoring upside.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:22 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
From what I Compher could be a bigger version of a Brad Marchant with a bit less of scoring upside.
I'll take that all day.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
I like the Pavelski-lite comparisons better.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:30 PM
aceface33

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Big Ten Hockey ‏@B1GHockey 28m

The #B1GHockey Freshman of the Year as voted by the Big Ten coaches & media is JT Compher of @umichhockey. pic.twitter.com/6PxAY7HRq6

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

The #B1GHockey Freshman of the Year as voted by the Big Ten coaches & media is JT Compher of @umichhockey. pic.twitter.com/6PxAY7HRq6
Quick someone bump him on the prospects forum. Or do only Detroit posters do that?

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:51 PM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

Congratz JT!

BananaSquad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Compher was also on the all Big 10 second team, as well as being the only unanimous choice for the B1G freshman team.

If curious, whole team is here: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...yAllBigTen.pdf

Other Sabres on it are Jake McCabe (1st team) and Hudson Fasching (2nd team, freshman team)

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Computer is such an animal

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Quick someone bump him on the prospects forum. Or do only Detroit posters do that?
If he were a Wingy, he'd be untouchable/godlike.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

I called it. Guy is legit. I've said it once and ill say it again. Computer has a lot of quaqualities.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Awesome that he's getting these recognitions and accolades. Hoping the pick turns out to be one we look back on as a second round steal. Or one that makes me forget we traded a stud dman entering his prime

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote