HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Artturi Lehkonen

Old
07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Man, he would be the biggest steal ever if he somehow ends up being 6'+ with a good frame.
From what I've gathered, he's grown about 2 inches this year and is standing around 5'11. His family isn't much bigger than that but there's the possibility he keeps growing. Fingers crossed!

Draft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
From what I've gathered, he's grown about 2 inches this year and is standing around 5'11. His family isn't much bigger than that but there's the possibility he keeps growing. Fingers crossed!
a true 5'11 at say 180/190 is plenty big enough

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:45 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Lehkonen grew to 5'11 which is an acceptable size. Especially with how he plays once he adds muscle. If he grows one more inch then everyone shuts up about his size lol.

Any news on his military commitment?
This is not a problem for him (or any other Finnish prospect for that matter), he can do it during the off-season.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Well i remember how nuts everyone went for Teuvo Teravainen last year, scoring 11 goals amongst men (14th in overall team scoring), and this year scoring 13 goals 18 assists for 31 points in 44 games (5th in team scoring, behind karlsson), drafted first round 18 overall, kids about 5"10 180 they say

Lehkonen scored 14 goals 16 assists 30 points in 45 games to win rookie of the year , 2nd in team scoring, we got him 55th overall, looks like 5"11 but only 165 pounds which may be the significant reason he fell

but both players seem comparable it looks like and im pretty glad to have him on our side, hope he develops well

i know these are just stats, but sometimes ya gotta throw some stats around , gets people giddy

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko1995 View Post
This is not a problem for him (or any other Finnish prospect for that matter), he can do it during the off-season.
Yes but the idea is for him to train for hockey not do military drills in those off-seasons.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Yes but the idea is for him to train for hockey not do military drills in those off-seasons.
Athletes usually spend anywhere from two weeks to two months in the army, which is not too bad when you think about it.

Also, he will probably go to Urheilukoulu, which also gives them time for their own workouts to allow them keep developing even during the military time.

I would like to point out, that IIRC, international competition will also count as a apart of the army service some way. But I could be pulling that one out of my ass.

Last edited by mikko1995: 07-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
No disrespect... yes, it was a little late, but it wasn't incredibly dirty. I'm surprised that was a concussion. He desperately needs to get stronger.
That was my feeling on it too. It was late, but Lehkonen spun so wildly out of control and fell awkwardly.

Having said that, considering Ruutu apparently "called his shot" earlier in the game by vowing to knock him out, it's hard to give Ruutu the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know how he was to predict that the kid would fall like that.

Quote:
Lehkonen actually spoke out against some of the reactions saying the best way to get revenge is to score after that.
In fairness, it seems like the Lehkonen family was trying to downplay it because Lehkonen's father was being criticized for having his 17 year old son play against 30 something slimeballs like Ruutu. I read one article (translated) with comments from fans and there were lots of "That's what happens when little boys play against grown men" so I don't think it served the Lehkonen's well to talk about how horrible it was since they were being criticized for putting him in that situation to begin with.

Anyway, I certainly wish him the best and hope it's not a problem, but it is a major concern.

From everything I could find, he suffered his first concussion last year in September which doesn't seem to have been the result of any major hit or anything. Then the second one that knocked him unconscious was Ruutu's hit in February which as we said, while late and done by a weasel, you wouldn't really have predicted based on the hit that he would have been knocked out cold.

You have that kind of history and it usually doesn't take too much to get another one.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
That was my feeling on it too. It was late, but Lehkonen spun so wildly out of control and fell awkwardly.

Having said that, considering Ruutu apparently "called his shot" earlier in the game by vowing to knock him out, it's hard to give Ruutu the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know how he was to predict that the kid would fall like that.

In fairness, it seems like the Lehkonen family was trying to downplay it because Lehkonen's father was being criticized for having his 17 year old son play against 30 something slimeballs like Ruutu. I read one article (translated) with comments from fans and there were lots of "That's what happens when little boys play against grown men" so I don't think it served the Lehkonen's well to talk about how horrible it was since they were being criticized for putting him in that situation to begin with.

Anyway, I certainly wish him the best and hope it's not a problem, but it is a major concern.

From everything I could find, he suffered his first concussion last year in September which doesn't seem to have been the result of any major hit or anything. Then the second one that knocked him unconscious was Ruutu's hit in February which as we said, while late and done by a weasel, you wouldn't really have predicted based on the hit that he would have been knocked out cold.

You have that kind of history and it usually doesn't take too much to get another one.
Mostly, the people who were complaining about it were some politics, who really didn't really understand the whole situation, his parents weren't really criticized, but rather the Finnish Hockey Federation for allowing players under 18 to be able to play in a men's league.

But then again, most of the people in hockey reacted rather mildly, and most of the fans were actually saying that the media and some politics overreacted, and were saying that they won't let a kid play there unless he knows the risks.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
AJMHABS
Chucky #27

So what do you guys think his upside is?

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:20 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
So what do you guys think his upside is?
I think he could be a 1st line winger, those concussions have me worried though. I hope he has a long career with Montréal!

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:31 PM
LoveHateLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Teuvo Teravainen...kids about 5"10 180 they say
At the combine last year, Teravainen was slightly under 5"11 and measured in at 170, so Lehkonen is more or less the same size that Teravainen was when he was drafted. I think that there must be something else that scared scouts off. The concussions may have been part of it, but as I recall, he was starting to slide down the rankings before the second concussion. As for why Lehkonen fell down the rankings, even though his stats seemed better than those of Teravainen, who was a year older, I asked the same question a couple of months ago. Tormentor, who's probably the most knowledgeable poster on here about Finnish prospects, gave the following response(Edited together from two posts responding to my questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Lehkonen isn't a worse player than Teräväinen, just a bit different. The reason why Teräväinen went in the 1st round despite being a lightweight was his offensive upside, he was one of the most skilled players in last year’s draft.

Lehkonen is ahead of last year’s Teräväinen in some areas of the game, but for many the hypothesis is that his offensive upside isn’t as high as with Teräväinen. That’s probably the reason why he’s not listed as a 1st rounder in some of the rankings.

Both are lightweight guys and have similar height, so not much difference there. Teräväinen seems a tad taller as of now, but who knows, maybe Lehkonen still grows a bit and catches up. Both would benefit from having more strength/muscle, but judging the way these guys play the game and the situations they end up in, I think it’s a bit more crucial for Lehkonen, especially when thinking of NHL. Also, Teräväinen is great at dodging the bullet, he changes direction in a heartbeat and it’s hard to predict what he does next. Not saying that Lehkonen doesn’t have the same qualities, but Teräväinen has them in spades.

Teräväinen’s puck handling skills are very good, if not exceptional. Lehkonen’s puck handling skills are good as well, but Teräväinen has an advantage here. I think that playmaking ability(/upside) is another area where Teräväinen has an advantage. His unpredictability, creativity, very good puck skills and the ability to maneuver with the puck should as a combination eventually stand out even at the highest level, as long as rest of his game keeps developing.

Teräväinen can play all forward positions, which in some sense makes him slightly more valuable than Lehkonen who’s a wing only. Another minor thing that might affect the equation is the relative strength of the draft year, some say that 2013 has a bit more depth than 2012, so this might make it slightly harder for Lehkonen to break into the 1st round.

For his age Lehkonen is well schooled about different aspects of the game, which of course is a valuable thing because some guys never fully learn the top level game. He seems like a more mature player and a better two-way guy than Teräväinen in his draft year. Another thing worth mentioning about his game is his drive to score. He seeks scoring opportunities, and finds the back of the net relatively often, especially for a Finn. Both Lehkonen and Teräväinen are gentleman players, but I guess you could say that Lehkonen is less afraid of getting his nose dirty.

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
LoveHateLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
i know these are just stats, but sometimes ya gotta throw some stats around , gets people giddy
One thing that's reassuring about Lehkonen's stats is that they seem very sustainable. His shooting percentage was 7.3%. He averaged 4.3 shots per game. He also has a sustained track record of very good play. His 16-year old season in the Finnish u20 league was the best since Granlund's, though Barkov's almost certainly would have been better had he been playing there instead of the men's league. In 2012, Lehkonen led the spring u18's in goal scoring as an underager, and came second in points.

Another positive sign is that he scored 73% of his points at even strength. He scored 0.49 even-strength points-per-game, which compares favourably to Barkov's 0.51. Lehkonen also didn't seem overly reliant on any one teamate to help him score. The only player on his team that scored more than him was Sakari Salminen, the SM-Liiga's 4th-leading scorer. However, just 27% of Lehkonen's points were "co-scored" with Salminen, which seems encouraging.

None of this changes the fact that the scouting staffs of almost 30 different NHL teams didn't want to use their 2nd-round picks on him. The odds against him are long, but the absolute worst case scenario for Montreal is that they used a later 2nd-round pick on a player who didn't pan out. The best case scenario (however unlikely) is that they get a skilled winger who can play in the top six for a couple years for the NHL equivalent of minimum wage. I wish the Leafs would make more picks like this.

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:32 PM
kernkraft

I know this is off-topic, but...

I don't understand how people can still defend Ruutu. He's proven to everyone in hockey that he's a piece of **** who would have done the world a favor if he'd never laced up a pair of skates.

To publicly state that you want to knock out a kid and then go after him with a cheap and completely "late" (it's not late, he simply doesn't have the puck nor is it close to him) hit is simply gutless and speaks volume about him.

I sincerely hope that he meets his equal one day and gets his karma even though I don't believe in such things.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
I know this is off-topic, but...

I don't understand how people can still defend Ruutu. He's proven to everyone in hockey that he's a piece of **** who would have done the world a favor if he'd never laced up a pair of skates.

To publicly state that you want to knock out a kid and then go after him with a cheap and completely "late" (it's not late, he simply doesn't have the puck nor is it close to him) hit is simply gutless and speaks volume about him.

I sincerely hope that he meets his equal one day and gets his karma even though I don't believe in such things.
To be honest when he played in the NHL I always wanted Ruutu on the Habs. I like my trolls. But he's definitely a **** and that hit on Lehkonen clearly only had one intention. That was not hockey by any stretch.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hes got a sick shot.
This is what stuck out for me the most. That release is pretty amazing...I wonder how he'd do in a snipe off against Galchenyuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Interesting story about Lehkonen, when Jarkko Ruuttu hit him with a filthy headshot and the media in Finland created a big ****storm about banning him, Lehkonen actually spoke out against some of the reactions saying the best way to get revenge is to score after that.

The kid is definitely fearless, I just hope it doesn't end up ruining his career.
I don't know if it's good or bad...but for some reason this story screams Habs prospect.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I don't know if it's good or bad...but for some reason this story screams Habs prospect.
Yep...was bound to be. How many times have we heard that....don't fight back...let's score on the PP instead...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:29 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yep...was bound to be. How many times have we heard that....don't fight back...let's score on the PP instead...
That's why we now have Crisp and McCarren coming up in a couple of years

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:59 PM
That

Here's a ten minute video I made of all of Lehkonen's points this year in the SM-Liiga:

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:27 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Here's a ten minute video I made of all of Lehkonen's points this year in the SM-Liiga:

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

His belt celly. 2/5. Needs work.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:24 AM
JonathanToews19clutc*

Artturi Lehkonen has potential to be a first line player.

He is an small player, but is amazing player.

#steal

JonathanToews19clutc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:27 AM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Artturi Lehkonen has potential to be a first line player.

He is an small player, but is amazing player.

#steal
#hash tag #yolo #swag

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:57 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahnaMahna View Post
#hash tag #yolo #swag
forgot: #midget #smurf #bust

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:43 AM
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen

This is the prospect I am the most pumped about since Gallagher; in terms of steal pick, attitude, swag, skills! He just surpassed Collberg

ProspectsFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:49 AM
McPheesMoustache
No Scrubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post

rarely post but had to throw up some love for That.. put in work all lockout with great insight on Gally A and keeps it coming with more on a prospect i am really intrigued by.

Its posters like you That, that make this site the best place to come for informed opinion on all things hockey and especially habs.

people like you, montreal, and whitesnake dont get paid to share with us on here but still consistently deliver better stuff than many of the full-time hack writers and commentators out there.

cheers.

McPheesMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote