HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Crosby not happy about Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Rand

vCash: 500
Crosby not happy about Toronto?

Shamelessly stolen from the http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hoc...s.cgi?notebook forecaster.ca

It's no secret the Maple Leafs are being more active than most NHL clubs in their attempt to lure CHL phenom Sidney Crosby. GM John Ferguson Jr. has been rather vocal of Toronto's interest in signing Crosby to an AHL contract (with the new Toronto Marlies) for the 2005-06 campaign--assuming the NHL is still in lockout mode next fall. However, the Crosby camp was recently quoted as being less than enthusiastic about that possibility: "When you like Montreal, the one team you don't like is the blue and white...He'd go to Toronto, but I can tell you, he wouldn't be happy about it." -- Troy Crosby, Sidney's father and a former Montreal Canadiens draft pick (240th overall in 1984) told Slam Sports in an interview. The plot thickens.

Sounds plausible to me. JFJ has obviously been making more then a few overtures towards Crosby... but he is a Habs fan, and as such odds are his #1 most hated team is the Leafs.
Of course $ may well be able to outweigh any loyalty towards the Habs, at least early in his career when he's not yet made his millions.

Likely a moot point anyway, as if the CBA is settled there will be a draft and the odds are neither Toronto nor Montreal will get the first pick albeit Montreal will probably have a slightly better chance.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
sure, he'll pick montreal over toronto, but toronto over carolina

Old
06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Shamelessly stolen from the http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hoc...s.cgi?notebook forecaster.ca

It's no secret the Maple Leafs are being more active than most NHL clubs in their attempt to lure CHL phenom Sidney Crosby. GM John Ferguson Jr. has been rather vocal of Toronto's interest in signing Crosby to an AHL contract (with the new Toronto Marlies) for the 2005-06 campaign--assuming the NHL is still in lockout mode next fall. However, the Crosby camp was recently quoted as being less than enthusiastic about that possibility: "When you like Montreal, the one team you don't like is the blue and white...He'd go to Toronto, but I can tell you, he wouldn't be happy about it." -- Troy Crosby, Sidney's father and a former Montreal Canadiens draft pick (240th overall in 1984) told Slam Sports in an interview. The plot thickens.

Sounds plausible to me. JFJ has obviously been making more then a few overtures towards Crosby... but he is a Habs fan, and as such odds are his #1 most hated team is the Leafs.
Of course $ may well be able to outweigh any loyalty towards the Habs, at least early in his career when he's not yet made his millions.

Likely a moot point anyway, as if the CBA is settled there will be a draft and the odds are neither Toronto nor Montreal will get the first pick albeit Montreal will probably have a slightly better chance.
That seems more of a joke to me. probably grew up a leaf hater but i'm sure those feelings would be put on the back burner if the Leafs drew the magic ball.

Old
06-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
he is young and will come around once he is a rich player on a great leafs team!

Old
06-08-2005, 08:29 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

This boy is sounding more and more like Lindros.

Mini-Eric

Last edited by ULF_55: 06-08-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old
06-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Leaf Army

We've already a thread on this.

Link

Old
06-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Christ

What exactly does being a Habs fan have to do with the team he plays for? I mean there are how many players who are fans of one team playing somewhere else. Lindros for instance wants nothing more than to play for the Leafs, Nash wants to play for the Leafs, Kariya wants to play for the Canucks... Does everyone remember Shayne Corson? Regardless of your feelings regarding his abandoning of the Leafs a couple of years back in the playoffs, Corson was a die hard Leaf fan his whole life...yet he played for the Habs.

At this stage in his career, Crosby has almost no say in where he plays and I doubt that any of the changes made to end this infernal lockout will change that. If the Leafs somehow manage to sign Crosby, he will play for us regardless of his feelings towards the team. Who knows he may even grow to like it here, as the Leafs organization and their fans tend to treat their star players very well...not to mention that he will get very rich playing in TO.

Old
06-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Kenadyan

You know the old saying, "blood is thicker than water, but money is thicker than blood"?

I'm sure a hefty contract with a big signing bonus would make him forget all about his "dislike" of the Leafs.

Old
06-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
You know the old saying, "blood is thicker than water, but money is thicker than blood"?

I'm sure a hefty contract with a big signing bonus would make him forget all about his "dislike" of the Leafs.
Brilliant...Crosby's "dislike" for Toronto is really a barganing tactic

Old
06-09-2005, 12:19 AM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

hey, is this like how Sundin's favourite team was the Habs, but he's happy the be on the Leafs?

Old
06-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Westlander
Hup Holland

If that is Crosby's attitude, I'd be disappointed. Were he a francophone I could understand it more, but I think most Canadian kids would be honoured to play for the Leafs, even if Toronto wasn't their team growing up.

Old
06-09-2005, 08:42 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand

"When you like Montreal, the one team you don't like is the blue and white...He'd go to Toronto, but I can tell you, he wouldn't be happy about it." -- Troy Crosby, Sidney's father and a former Montreal Canadiens draft pick (240th overall in 1984) told Slam Sports in an interview.
Is his mother's name Bonnie?

His parents seem to be quite the Lindroses, the more you hear the more they are speaking.

Old
06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
wow, we're gonna replace vince carter with sidney crosby

Closed Thread