HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The sad reality

Old
06-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Novacain

vCash: 500
Completely OT, but I have to know: rumrokh, true or false: Your name is based of the sound Scooby Doo makes when pronouncing "uh-oh"

Also: chill. Worst thing we could do is overpay dramatically right now.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
Completely OT, but I have to know: rumrokh, true or false: Your name is based of the sound Scooby Doo makes when pronouncing "uh-oh"

Also: chill. Worst thing we could do is overpay dramatically right now.
False, but who am I to judge your fine, fine interpretation?

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
The Note
Time's a Flat Circle

This thread's a bit overdramatic, it was the draft. Let's wait and see how FA shakes out then we can make a better judgement of the team.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:20 AM
thedustman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
This thread's a bit overdramatic, it was the draft. Let's wait and see how FA shakes out then we can make a better judgement of the team.
this is almost a good example of how to use commas. people who only argue on the internet should definitely know grammar and punctuation

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:09 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Nashville got maybe the best player in the draft to add to an already impressive blue line backstopped by a great goalie.

Minnesota added El Nino who probably contributes next season and has good upside.

Colorado added an impact center

Those are 3 teams that finished worse than the Blues last season that we will be seeing a lot of, that made some nice additions to their team today.
You completely ignored my question. I said besides teams picking in the top 5 and teams who improved with TRADES. Try again.

It's funny how Armstrong gets Bouw and Leopold at the deadline and people still act like he's not making moves to improve this team. Get real.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:00 AM
illninofan*

Truth is, we couldn't be in a better position.

We've got most of what we need to make a deep playoff run in place, we're just a few moves away from being legit cup contenders.

How long our run lasts is up to our management team, and I think we're in good hands for the first time in a while.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:14 AM
tfriede2

Quote:
Nashville got maybe the best player in the draft to add to an already impressive blue line backstopped by a great goalie.

Minnesota added El Nino who probably contributes next season and has good upside.

Colorado added an impact center

Those are 3 teams that finished worse than the Blues last season that we will be seeing a lot of, that made some nice additions to their team today.

Yeah, that's kind of the point of the draft and the ordering system.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Harley83

Hopefully something big happens.. St. Louis has a way of giving it's fans the impression that something big is going to happen in the off-season and then go and sign Jeff Woywitka or some once talented, injury prone veteran at the end of their career.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
Hopefully something big happens.. St. Louis has a way of giving it's fans the impression that something big is going to happen in the off-season and then go and sign Jeff Woywitka or some once talented, injury prone veteran at the end of their career.
Armstrong has gave no impression anything would happen in the offseason at all. He said he is looking at the trade route. Last season we waited until the deadline for the right deal. So I would not be surprised if we waited until the deadline once again this season.

We have a strong team one of the top teams in the league actually.

In the past when we made moves for superstars ie Walt, Weight, Gretz we still never won a thing.

I still want to know what moves do people see out there that would make sense for our team and another team to complete a trade improving our team.

Our team did not have a full training camp last season. I am actually fine going with the team we have and seeing what moves are available at the trade deadline,

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Halak Ness Monster

The Blues are definitely in better shape than they were before the lock-out.

Our defense is top three in the league and our farm system is still top 10 quality. Also, we have a ton of quality young pieces on offense. The window of opportunity just opened in 2011-2012 and it could be open for the next 6-8 years.

Things certainly aren't peachy, though. We still don't have a good starting goaltender and none of those young offensive pieces haven't shown nearly enough consistency.

Another year may answer some big questions about our youngest players. Is Tarasenko the sniper we desperately need?
Is Allen really someone to build on in net very soon?
It'll also be interesting to see what we have in Jaden Schwartz. He gave the best effort night in and night out last year but can he match that effort with production? He doesn't have to put up 60+ points next year but it'd be nice to see him get in the 40-45 point range and show he can produce a little more than a Sobotka type.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:00 PM
GrandPapillon*

UFA period has begun and the Blues still haven't improved their team at all. It gets old watching a team settle for scraps while others (Columbus) actually make a splash.

GrandPapillon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Change the record. Our spending is going to be close to the cap next season and still people whine before the season has even close to starting.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:07 PM
GrandPapillon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Change the record. Our spending is going to be close to the cap next season and still people whine before the season has even close to starting.
Because it is the same team as last year, with the underachievers getting raises. The Blues haven't added or changed one piece of the equation and expect better results than being bounced in the first round? Hard to win in the playoffs without NHL caliber top 6 centers or a true #1 goalie.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:09 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Free agency just opened a couple hours ago, chill out.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:15 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
UFA period has begun and the Blues still haven't improved their team at all. It gets old watching a team settle for scraps while others (Columbus) actually make a splash.
Completely disregarding that a player can't be forced to sign with a team just because they were the highest bidder, which contract signed so far today do you wish the Blues had signed? Seven years for Horton or Clarkson? Five years to Clowe? Or maybe four years to a 33 year old Ribeiro?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:18 PM
stlweir

The Blues have the best top 6 defensemen in their history. They will get a traing camp together will be playing a full season with a regular schedule.m

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:29 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Because it is the same team as last year, with the underachievers getting raises. The Blues haven't added or changed one piece of the equation and expect better results than being bounced in the first round? Hard to win in the playoffs without NHL caliber top 6 centers or a true #1 goalie.
Both Backes and Berglund are legit top six centers in the NHL. Would it be nice to upgrade that area? You bet. With the Blues using more of a 3 second lines and 1 third line philosophy with their forward corps, the Blues could use a third top six center. But to claim that the Blues have no NHL caliber top 6 centers is asinine.

Also, the Blues will be returning the 2011-12 Jennings winning duo in net, with a highly-rated prospect who has shown he can succeed at the NHL level starting the season in the AHL. Again, would an upgrade be nice? You bet. Other than Team Canada's Olympic roster, what hockey roster couldn't use an upgrade? Time and time again, teams show that "a true #1 goalie" isn't needed to succeed in the playoffs. Corey Crawford was considered the weakest link on the Blackhawks going into the season, and they won the Cup riding him through the playoffs. Ray Emery took a team to the finals a few years back. Anti Niemi won the Cup with the Blackhawks. Hell, Chris Osgood won three Stanley Cups and he certainly isn't what I'd call "a true #1 goalie."

The real question seems to be should we ***** and moan and complain about the lack of playoff success, the lack of roster turn-over, and the lack of splash in free-agency (which is about 2 1/2 hours old at this point); or should we be thrilled that we don't have players like Petr Cajanek and Martin Rucinsky on our top line and promising young defensemen like Christian Backman patrolling our blueline to crowds of 7,000 with the threat of the team moving hanging over our heads? My advice? Sit back, enjoy the success the team is having over the past few seasons, crack a beer, and wait for the dust to settle from free-agency over the next few days.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:30 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thanks for the laugh...I need it today.

You think we could allow maybe ONE DAY of the free agency period to elapse before calling in the bomb squad?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:31 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
The Blues have the best top 6 defensemen in their history. They will get a traing camp together will be playing a full season with a regular schedule.m
Don't forget this will be the Blues first training camp under Ken Hitchcock. With the lack of camp and condensed schedule last season, some actual practice will do this team a ton of good.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:43 PM
GrandPapillon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Free agency just opened a couple hours ago, chill out.
and now all of the centers that would have been upgrades are gone. There is still plenty of time in free agency; the problem is the talent is starting to disappear. Oh well, maybe the Blues can sign a Langenbrunner and Arnott again to babysit our roster.

The only thing today is missing is a offer sheet of 7.5 M for Pietrangelo so the Blues would have to decide to either let him walk or be stuck paying him 2.5M more than he has earned.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Novacain

Quote:
and now all of the centers that would have been upgrades are gone. There is still plenty of time in free agency; the problem is the talent is starting to disappear. Oh well, maybe the Blues can sign a Langenbrunner and Arnott again to babysit our roster.

The only thing today is missing is a offer sheet of 7.5 M for Pietrangelo so the Blues would have to decide to either let him walk or be stuck paying him 2.5M more than he has earned.

I'd take Grabovski over any of the centers that went today, so far, but that's just me

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:49 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:

if you like to overpay and throw ridiculous money at ridiculous players...why don't you follow the Flyers or Leafs than?!?

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:49 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
I'd take Grabovski over any of the centers that went today, so far, but that's just me
not just you, me too.

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:51 PM
BlueDream

Agreed, I've been interested in Grabovski this whole time.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:52 PM
GrandPapillon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
if you like to overpay and throw ridiculous money at ridiculous players...why don't you follow the Flyers or Leafs than?!?

Blues fan since birth. I guess I am not allowed to criticize their lack of improvement though without some posters wanting me off the bandwagon.