HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinions on the NHL R&D Camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Your opinions on the NHL R&D Camp

According to Colin Campbell, there'll be no more JS Giguerre chest pads and no more Garth Snow leg pads

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=127157

11 inches on the leg pad width
supposedly gonna cut some off the blocker and catching glove
agree with Quinn that Hockey is a team sport and that Sather should have his neck wrung

"I don't like the idea that you can throw the puck 160 feet down the ice," said Quinn. "It takes away from teamwork rather than building it.

Old
06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'm for the pad reduction, but making the nets bigger is ridiculous. don't do it.

Old
06-07-2005, 08:00 PM
handtrick

Strong standard of enforcement against obstruction
This should absolutely happen, IMO, and once the players get used to it, and the parade to the penalty box subsides, this will be the best addition to the game. The only problem is if the refs start letting it slowly creep back in as the season wears on. I also fear some GM's may try to torpedo this behind the scenes.
I truly feel that scoring chances, not the actually scoring, is where the excitement is generated.

Hurry-up faceoff
I already thought this was in play last year.

No-touch icing (with exceptions: attempted pass, pinching defenseman)
I liked this in the AHL. I think the race to the iced puck causes too many unwarranted injuries, for the few chances it creates.

No line changes following an icing
I don't like it....would probably lead to shorter shifts and more dump ins.

Smaller goaltender equipment
No doubt this will happen....should benefit the athletic goalies like Vokoun and takes the aura off Luongo and others.

No icing the puck on penalty kills
Don't like it.....being a man down is enough. If this goes through may lead to less of a checking game to avoid penalties.

Offensive team (rather than defensive team) sets up second in faceoff situations
Ambivalent about this one, as faceoffs in the defensive zone are scary enough for me as it is.

No substitution on offsetting penalties
I assume they are talking about fighting, as 4 on 4 is already present for diving / interence offsetting penalties. Would open up the game and put a premium on speed at the expense of some heavyweight dances.

Overtime (4 on 4, 3 on 3, shoot-out)
I like the shootout, but should go straight from 5 minutes of 4 on 4 to the shoot out and bypass the 3 on 3. The shootout looks like a lock.

No red line
I like this alot. Besides calling the obstruction, this would help minimize the effect of the trap and open up the game, however, at the expense of some pinches by the dmen. Fair chance of implementing, but probably should be tried in the AHL first for a season.

Open Game Concept....aka..Bowman's line
Don't like it....too radical... Would create an NBA type of Hail Mary outlet pass, with dmen continually staying back at the top of their zone circles. Would open up the ice too much, and decrease checking a lead to a non-contact, European style. Try taking out the red line first.

Big Nets...Oval Nets
At the most, try in the AHL first. Decrease the goalie equipment size in the NHL first.....then if still needs to tweak further, do it down the road, after seeing the full effect at the AHL level for a year [in combo with decreased goalie equipment size] and compare year to year stats.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:05 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Don't like it.....being a man down is enough. If this goes through may lead to less of a checking game to avoid penalties.
I don't like it. It will slow down the power play in my mind. SH teams will gladly take the icing. In fact, it could be a great thing for the SH team. They can ice the puck and get a change. On top of that, they have a 50/50 chance of regaining possession on the next faceoff. It's well worth the risk of icing, in my opinion.

I'd prefer them treating minors like majors and make it a full two minute penalty regardless of how many power play goals are scored.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

still aren't addressing high sticks ... if you hit a player with a high stick you should get a dbl minor and if it draws blood ... 5 min major pp

Old
06-08-2005, 12:55 AM
vopatsrash

Does anyone else feel like they are going to over-tweak the game by about 3-5 rule changes?

I know the camp was experimental, and I applaud them for doing it. I know not everything they are doing will be put into play. I just worry that they'll panic a bit. My only request to the NHL is that they definitely take an honest look at the changes after 05-06 and re-change any disasters. I'd like to see some changes, but I'd like to see them err on the side of conservatism at first, especially in terms of messing with lines and goal size.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I definitely agree with shrinking the goalie equipment, but I also am steadfastly against increasing the net size...

I wonder what the equipment change is going to do to goaltending in this league....It could have a very large effect. Goalies may not be able to play as long because relying only on positioning may not be AS effective at stopping the pucks. Big goalies may be more important - or it may be just pure athleticism that wins the day. Either way, I think this is best for the sport.

06-08-2005, 01:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

See, to me, part of the allure and mystique of hockey is the fact that goals are so infrequent, at least for the most part. Basketball and even football have always bored me due to the relatively low-surprise rate when it comes to scoring. I watched clips from the camp today, and the goalies were having a horrible time defending those huge, oddly shaped goals. Granted, there's the whole "not used to it" factor, but I think it's more than that. I can't imagine being too entertained by 7-5 hockey games. I know the NHL thinks that the secret to winning more fans is by increasing scoring, but I think a lot of the current fans will be disgusted by such a farce.

At least, I know I will.

Old
06-08-2005, 02:39 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
See, to me, part of the allure and mystique of hockey is the fact that goals are so infrequent, at least for the most part. Basketball and even football have always bored me due to the relatively low-surprise rate when it comes to scoring. I watched clips from the camp today, and the goalies were having a horrible time defending those huge, oddly shaped goals. Granted, there's the whole "not used to it" factor, but I think it's more than that. I can't imagine being too entertained by 7-5 hockey games. I know the NHL thinks that the secret to winning more fans is by increasing scoring, but I think a lot of the current fans will be disgusted by such a farce.

At least, I know I will.
I loved the 5-4 games of the 80's.

Old
06-08-2005, 08:08 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I watched clips from the camp today, and the goalies were having a horrible time defending those huge, oddly shaped goals.
And the NHLer's should have a lot easier time picking the corners than the overage juniors at this camp.

Old
06-08-2005, 08:13 AM
vopatsrash

no one complains about a 21-14 football game, but that's essentially 3-2 without inflation. i think "scoring" is a generally a problem brought forth by the lazy who don't want to give the game a chance. you'll hear some bubba call in to a talk show and talk about how great that 17-14 (or 2.5-2) titans game was, then out of the other side of his mouth talk about how he "can't get into hockey because there's not enough scoring."

I don't care about the scoring as long as the game itself feels relatively "pure and true". I have seen 4-3 games that were horribly played and I've seen 1-0 games that were immaculately played and vice versa.

imo, flow is most important and with better flow, scoring will also probably increase because it will give the offensive players more time and space to be skilled. If you can watch a well-paced game with skilled players able to showcase their talents, the game will become attractive to both old school people and new potential fans.

I'd be fine with reverting back to the set up of the 80's. I'd be fine with making some slight alterations to rules to reflect the average size difference of players (especially goalies) over the years. I just don't want to see gimmicks for gimmick's sake. I'm open to experimentation, just make it temporary/provisional, or, as handtrick said, do it in the AHL first.

Old
06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
I think aforementioned Bubba's problem is more in line with scoring chances. Score or not, I love scoring chances. And with flow it could increase the chance to score. Don't you think? Take out the red line, install tag up offsides, call the obstruction, and do something about the trap (is there anything they can do about the trap?). That would increase the flow, yes?

I also want to know how the larger blue line might be good... how did the AHL do overall with it?

Old
06-08-2005, 10:07 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
I also want to know how the larger blue line might be good... how did the AHL do overall with it?
I've not heard anything about how that rule affected the AHL this season, but in the one AHL game I saw in person this season (at the AFKAGEC, as you put it "over there") I remember noting at least 2-3 times that a puck held in the zone "would have been out of the zone with the old blue line thickness". Based on that one game sample, I liked it.

Old
06-08-2005, 10:45 AM
beautypersoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
still aren't addressing high sticks ... if you hit a player with a high stick you should get a dbl minor and if it draws blood ... 5 min major pp
High stick to the head = automatic game misconduct. Sounds extreme, but players have to learn to keep their sticks down, and the league has to protect the players.

Anyhoo...

Christopher "Beautiful" Carlson
Canada's #1 Nashville Predators Fan
"You can never have too many pucks."

Old
06-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Personified
High stick to the head = automatic game misconduct. Sounds extreme, but players have to learn to keep their sticks down, and the league has to protect the players.

Anyhoo...

Christopher "Beautiful" Carlson
Canada's #1 Nashville Predators Fan
"You can never have too many pucks."
5 min major pp & a game sounds good to me, we definitely don't need more Hossa-Berard situations

Old
06-18-2005, 02:07 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Strong standard of enforcement against obstruction
Well, duh. I fear, too, that the refs will lax back into their old ways as the season progresses. Maybe they need to QuesTec these guys with cameras on their helmets?

Hurry-up faceoff
Seems to be working the way it is; don't change.

No-touch icing (with exceptions: attempted pass, pinching defenseman)
This worked fine in the AHL. Keep it.

No line changes following an icing
Could work. Not so sure I'd be for it though. Test it in the AHL first.

Smaller goaltender equipment
Can I get a HAL-LE-LU-JAH! Sorry, but even 'Koun don't need pads twice his size.

No no no! That essentially destroys any hope that a team on the PK has of stopping the power play. Let them at least have that one bone.

Offensive team (rather than defensive team) sets up second in faceoff situations
This is a rule change that is guaranteed to cause refs confusion - and not just for the first year it's implemented.

No substitution on offsetting (aka Coincidental) penalties
Low-population hockey - a good thing.

Overtime (4 on 4, 3 on 3, shoot-out)
No to the 3-on-3; just go 4-on-4 for five and then head to the shootout.

No red line
This idea is a lot better than the next one; keep the red line for icing, but not for the two-line offsides pass.

Open Game Concept....aka..Bowman's line
Good god... I saw the video clip of this one. It'd be shinny. I don't want the NHL leader in goals to break Gretzky's record - by the All-Star break! And besides, it's a Scotty Bowman creation - it can't be good.

Big Nets...Oval Nets
I hated the oval net that the Sabres proposed. The "hourglass" net doesn't look that much better. Let's just work on reducing pad sizes and go without the two-line passes first before we think about a new goal size.

Closed Thread