HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs draft Connor Crisp with the 71st overall pick (info in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Prospector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I asked Trevor T about Crisp today..said he's a beast who is more ripped than he is...and he's 8 inches taller. I guess he took advantage of his year off and spent it in the gym.

Also one of the things I hear about Gregoire and McCarron - that they're gym rats.
Thanks for the heads up Grant! If he is more ripped than Trevor look out!

Old
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Mark Edwards
@MarkEdwardsHP

Loved the Connor Crisp pick. We had him ranked 97th. Injuries killed his draft year. Former 2nd rounder in OHL. 6'4 and 20+plus goals #Habs
Timmins and habs have picked up three guys do to past injuries hurting their stock. Galchenyuk after seeing him play if not injured might have gone 1st overall. Crisp was on no ones radar except for scouts who see players much more than armchair HFer scouts. Add Lehkonen who fell because of injuries and they are getting possible steals in draft. Starting to like this draft more and more. Habs picked some bigger guys in earlier rounds but possibly found some talented gems in later rounds because of their smaller sizes. If we can pick up Gallagher/Cammalleri type players in later rounds i won't be upset.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
windycity

I prefer the Guy Lafleur off-ice training regime of drinking and smoking - it's worked for me

(well except for the smoking as I don't)

Old
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I prefer the Guy Lafleur off-ice training regime of drinking and smoking - it's worked for me

(well except for the smoking as I don't)
Isn't that what Lemay was on? Apparently it may have cost him a lower draft selection but if he can do it like Lafluer could then we should be happy

Old
07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Ewen

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
This player wasn't listed on a website I read? Anger!
hahahaha
So true!
People, get a grip.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
SouthernHab

Just for the hell of it.

The best season that Ryan O'Reilly had in the OHL playing for the Erie Otters was scoring 19 goals in 61 games.

This past season, Connor Crisp scored 22 goals in 63 games playing for the Erie Otters in the OHL.

Crisp probably will not be another O'Reilly. This does put into perspective the talent level that Crisp has.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Just for the hell of it.

The best season that Ryan O'Reilly had in the OHL playing for the Erie Otters was scoring 19 goals in 61 games.

This past season, Connor Crisp scored 22 goals in 63 games playing for the Erie Otters in the OHL.

Crisp probably will not be another O'Reilly. This does put into perspective the talent level that Crisp has.
And he scored those 22 goals on a bad team. Erie is expected to, at the very least, compete for a playoff spot this season, if not home ice. There is also a chance he plays with McDavid this coming season, he could score 30 or more.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 570
O'Reilly made the NHL at 18 and was always a pass first guy. Crisp has already played in the OHL at a later age than O'Reilly ever did. There's no "untapped potential" with Crisp. He either becomes a bottom line enforcer/pest for us or he doesn't make the NHL.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Just for the hell of it.

And yet, fully two other Connors on Erie got more goals than Crisp last season. Can the 3rd-best Connor on a weak OHL team ever make the NHL?

Old
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And yet, fully two other Connors on Erie got more goals than Crisp last season. Can the 3rd-best Connor on a weak OHL team ever make the NHL?
I dont think that anyone is expecting him to fight for Pleks or Chuckie's or Eller's or DD's starting job.

He would be a better alternative than White or Dumont on the 4th though.

On the enforcer thread, there is a lot of love for Neil, Thornton because they can fight and they can play hockey. Looks like Bergevin may have drafted one who might grow into that position.

Any other expectations for Crisp would be unfounded at this point.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
well one was Connor McDavid, the exceptional status rookie of the year, and the other was the captain Connor Brown, a maple leafs draft pick, who was at one point in the top ten in scoring before he hit a bit of a slump.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:33 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'd be happy if we drafted a potential Jody Shelley, let alone a Prust. Making the NHL alone would redeem this pick.
But that's the problem. I believe that there were a number of better options who stand a much chance of not only making the NHL, but excelling at the next level. I think many of us would have been a lot happier if we had selected one of Kujawinski, Hayden, Buchnevich, Verhaeghe, Lodge or Duclair who were just sitting there for the taking. Or maybe Bergevin could have been creative by trading our 71 and 86 to be in a position to have drafted Laplante at 62 or Baptiste at 69. Or, he could have been even more aggressive and traded our pick at 55 along with 71 to move up only two spots to be in a position to draft either Bailey or Bowey. But Bergevin just sat there, passively, and watched players with much higher potential than what we were left with, be taken off the board, sometimes, frustratingly, the pick before ours. I couldn't understand when Shinkaruk began to fall, we again remained immobile. Would it not have been better to be a little aggressive and sacrifice a few assets to move up secure an elite talent? It's interesting to go to other boards and see the reaction of posters as Shinkaruk began sliding and it looked like Montreal might actual be in a position to draft a top 15 talent and still have 5 more high picks in the next two rounds. They were positively sick about that eventuality and had a great laugh when Vancouver 'stole' him at 24. Conversely, they became sickened again when Fucale fell to us at 36. But let's play a little game of 'could of been' and compare what we did draft with what may have happened if we had taken a little different tack in the first 4 rounds:

Option 1: We don't draft Crisp but choose a far more skilled player
McCarron, De la Rose, Fucale, Lehkonen and [Kujawinski or Hayden or Lodge] and Andrighetto

Option 2: We trade 71, 116 and 176 to move up to select either 62 or 69
McCarron, De la Rose, Fucale, Lehkonen, [Laplante or Baptiste] and Andrighetto

Option 3: We trade 55 and 86 to move up to 52
McCarron, De la Rose, Fucale, [Bailey or Bowey] and [Kujawinski or Hayden or Lodge],

Option 4: We trade 25, 55 and 86 to move up to 22

[Poirier or Burakovsky or Shinkaruk] De la Rose, Fucale and [Kujawinski or Hayden or Lodge]

Of course, this is all whimsical hindsight and it's entirely possible that we may not have found a team willing to part with their picks as indicated above. But it is always interesting to postulate as to what may have been. Whatever I think, the draft is over and Crisp is now a Montreal Canadien. I wish him and all the other draftees well. Let's just see how it all unfolds.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
HabsSlappy

There was a player in '09 that was 6'4" 220lbs who played 62 games a d had 9 goals and 10 assist with 149 penalty minutes. That guy was taken 50th overall a d has become the envy of nearly every non-Bruin fan. If you haven't guessed, I am taking about Milan Lucic.

Of course every player is different, and Crisp is a year older due to injury, but what if he turns into our Lucic?

He definitely has some question marks, but so did Lucic, so perhaps people should wait and see. We drafted Nygren as an overager too and now everyone loves him.

Take a deep breath and just rout for the kid to make it and make other players pay the price when playing the Habs.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

This is the pick I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Will need to watch more video of him...

Old
07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
There was a player in '09 that was 6'4" 220lbs who played 62 games a d had 9 goals and 10 assist with 149 penalty minutes. That guy was taken 50th overall a d has become the envy of nearly every non-Bruin fan. If you haven't guessed, I am taking about Milan Lucic.

Of course every player is different, and Crisp is a year older due to injury, but what if he turns into our Lucic?

He definitely has some question marks, but so did Lucic, so perhaps people should wait and see. We drafted Nygren as an overager too and now everyone loves him.

Take a deep breath and just rout for the kid to make it and make other players pay the price when playing the Habs.
Lucic had 19 points because he was playing bottom 6 on the deepest team in the WHL. They went 16-2 in the WHL playoffs that year. The following year several of the top overage scoring leaders left and Brule left opening room for Lucic to move up.

Crisp on the other hand is playing on one of the worst teams in the CHL. There's nobody he's playing behind. The comparison's to Lucic end at size.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
hockeyrules123

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
Hahaha every pick someone has to say " Not a fan of this pick within the 5 first posts. "
And 99% of them probably never saw them play

Old
07-01-2013, 05:07 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Lucic had 19 points because he was playing bottom 6 on the deepest team in the WHL. They went 16-2 in the WHL playoffs that year. The following year several of the top overage scoring leaders left and Brule left opening room for Lucic to move up.

Crisp on the other hand is playing on one of the worst teams in the CHL. There's nobody he's playing behind. The comparison's to Lucic end at size.
See, you just defeated your own arguement here. You claim Lucic put up such a small point total amount because he was playing bottom six, so he wasnt playing with them most skilled players. But then you say Crisp is playing on one of the worst teams in the CHL, which would then mean he is also not playing with the most skilled players, yet he put up 22 goals.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
See, you just defeated your own arguement here. You claim Lucic put up such a small point total amount because he was playing bottom six, so he wasnt playing with them most skilled players. But then you say Crisp is playing on one of the worst teams in the CHL, which would then mean he is also not playing with the most skilled players, yet he put up 22 goals.
I thought he played with McDavid, to protect him?

Old
07-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Bieber fever

6'4 , 225lbs

Verdict : good pick

Old
07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
6'4 , 225lbs

How are you not a professional scout with such sound methodology?

Old
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
I dont think that anyone is expecting him to fight for Pleks or Chuckie's or Eller's or DD's starting job.

He would be a better alternative than White or Dumont on the 4th though.

On the enforcer thread, there is a lot of love for Neil, Thornton because they can fight and they can play hockey. Looks like Bergevin may have drafted one who might grow into that position.

Any other expectations for Crisp would be unfounded at this point.
Exactly, we have been looking for these type of players for a while now and we have 2 in this draft. McCarren to me is going to be an NHLer, not so sure about Crisp but it's a chance we have to take. Plus if TT felt they had to take him in the 3rd round there was clearly other teams interested in that range.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
6'4 , 225lbs

I guess Lehkonen is a bad pick to you.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:32 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I thought he played with McDavid, to protect him?
He did not play with McDavid nearly at all this past season. Our first line was Fox-McDavid-Brown. Each guy on that line was a point per game player. Crisp played with Harper and Labardo.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
TroyM

One of those picks that gets more intriguing the more you hear. I know its expected for the organization to hype him up, but its working on me a bit. I think its true how much players like Chris Neil and Thornton are valued and how few of them there are. I'm trying to break my mentality that you can just sign these bottom 6 perfect types because they are not as easy to snag as you think. That's become clear since none of them ever make it to Montreal! So maybe this guy can be that, and I'd be thrilled to have it.

I must say I'm getting a bit tired of our rotating bottom 6 semi-softies. I'm the farthest thing from the toughness brigade zealots around here but I just want to see some freakin compete shift in and shift out. He's become a bit of a mancrush but Gally infused me with that fire to see hockey players giving it everything every time they step on the ice. Enough with Moens, Armstrongs, etc. They bring value but the inconsistent effort kills me. It's the same for scorers, Cammy for instance. Obvious talent and did so much for us, but that inconsistent effort is borderline infuriating.

An interesting pick definitely, I just get intrigued by picks that fill a need like that. I know its not supposed to be "how you do it" but hey, it happened so I might as well find the silver lining and see how the guy goes. A huge project, literally and figuratively, curious for sure to track him.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Hoping for a Chris Neil/Shawn Thornton type.

Closed Thread