HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Connor Crisp with the 71st overall pick (info in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
SouthernHab
Lost An Avy Bet...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon101 View Post
I agree and this is where I think there is a risk/reward to this pick. The potential is there to become top 6 powerfoward but there is a good risk that he might not become one and end up as a support player or even not an Nhler.
The NHL draft is littered with 3rd rounders who do not make it to the NHL.

Crisp making it to the NHL as a 4th line player would be a huge success for him and for this team. Look at the role the 4th plays for Boston. Not bad having good tough players on the 4th. That's how Cups are won.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Crisp making it to the NHL as a 4th line player would be a huge success for him and for this team. Look at the role the 4th plays for Boston. Not bad having good tough players on the 4th. That's how Cups are won.
+ he's a pretty young player that lost a season due to injury to comeback to score 20 + goals in junior, he has room to improve. I would'nt rate his potential to 0 to make it bigger than 4th liner, especially since looking at some NHL'ers stats in junior.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:48 PM
ChoseLa

Crisp, before his injury, was seen as a big guy with skills. I think the Habs are gambling on that he will develop his offensive game and his skating.

Wasn't it reported that the Sabres were high on him?

If Timmins believe this guy can play in the NHL it's a good gamble, as big guys who play his type of game are drafted really high every years : Lucic, Wilson, Simmonds, McCarron, Biggs, Kassian and Chris Stewart. If the Habs got a guy who can chip in offensively, be an intimidating force and play a heart and soul game, they will be regarded as genius.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:48 PM
SouthernHab
Lost An Avy Bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
+ he's a pretty young player that lost a season due to injury to comeback to score 20 + goals in junior, he has room to improve. I would'nt rate his potential to 0 to make it bigger than 4th liner, especially since looking at some NHL'ers stats in junior.

I agree with you.

I cringe at times when I see players get lofty expectations placed upon them and then get trashed when they do not rise to those high expectations.

Anything above being an effective 4th liner (like Thornton for example) would just be a bonus.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
with hudon,. colberg, gallagher, andrighetto etc....habs can afford to draft behemoth 'projects' like crisp and McCarron.
Agreed. If anything this draft was a hommage to our prospect pool, as we could take risks with needs cause we already had such a deep set of NHL potential prospects.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
with hudon,. colberg, gallagher, andrighetto etc....habs can afford to draft behemoth 'projects' like crisp and McCarron.
Good point, and you can add Thomas and Lehkonen to that list, even Reway. I think it's healthy to have a mix, and before this draft...it was missing to a certain extent.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
DAChampion

Grant, would you say that we still have needs now, or is our pool sufficiently broad that drafting on need next year would not make sense?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Bourdon101

Quote:

We digressed into a Mccarron discussion, so it was not about Crisp, whom I agree would not be a bad pick should he become what you described.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Crisp, before his injury, was seen as a big guy with skills. I think the Habs are gambling on that he will develop his offensive game and his skating.

Wasn't it reported that the Sabres were high on him?

If Timmins believe this guy can play in the NHL it's a good gamble, as big guys who play his type of game are drafted really high every years : Lucic, Wilson, Simmonds, McCarron, Biggs, Kassian and Chris Stewart. If the Habs got a guy who can chip in offensively, be an intimidating force and play a heart and soul game, they will be regarded as genius.
Not necessarily reported but my friend was with him when he got drafted and he said he went to habs camp and sabres and he really thought Sabres were going to pick him the way they were talking, guessing that's why Habs moved in on him in third round

The only thing about it is Montreal had another pick that round and Buffalo wasn't in between it.. Philly was right after them that round and Vancouver right before their next pick, seems like typical Philly pick and/or worried about Van getting at something before them again

Old
07-11-2013, 06:57 AM
yoyo999

A 17 page thread about Connor Crisp.

Only in Montreal.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:28 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I bet your 5 on 3 SH goal is something he can't match. One of the best plays I have ever seen! Sucks that it's not on youtube!

Crisp sounds like he has a lot of the attributes to be a top 9 guy that can pot 15-20 and hit/fight, no doubt there is a risk, but those players are going pretty early. Cripes, Edmonton took Moroz 1st pick of round 2, Crisp is bigger and scored 9 more goals.

Haha, thanks I appreciate that. I actually have it on VHS in a storage box in my basement somewhere - I've been wanting to convert it to a digital format and put it on YouTube.

And I agree with what you're saying reL Crisp. He has the tools to work with and worst case, I'd rather strike out on a guy like him than an Oliver Fortier or a Danny Stewart.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So worst case for you is that he's nhl player? That's pretty optimistic. But, that is your M.O.
Worst case for any prospect is complete buyst and no NHL games...I guess it was the wrong choice of words...conservative projection is 4th liner that can fight and not hurt you out there similar to Thornton.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
McCarron was a gamble? I can almost guarantee you he'll be an NHL regular. Not a great example even if I understand what you're getting at. Theodore was a lot bigger gamble at 26 if you ask me, or even Poirier. Getting a late first round pick who at worst will be a tough, huge, hard hitting third liner who will drop the gloves and chip in a few goals isn't a gamble IMO.
From what most scouts are saying he is more of a risk than some other players, I know you are very high on him so you'd obviously see him as safer than most.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
I agree with you.

I cringe at times when I see players get lofty expectations placed upon them and then get trashed when they do not rise to those high expectations.

Anything above being an effective 4th liner (like Thornton for example) would just be a bonus.
If Crisp becomes an effective 4th liner, as in one who can do more than fight this pick would have been a success. Expecting more than that is asking for pure luck.

3rd rounders, especially ones with a similar profile to Mr. Crisp, are lucky to make the NHL. There's no reason to expect the next Clowe or whatever.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:58 AM
BigDaddyLurch
#NukeDaFoxhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If Crisp becomes an effective 4th liner, as in one who can do more than fight this pick would have been a success. Expecting more than that is asking for pure luck.

3rd rounders, especially ones with a similar profile to Mr. Crisp, are lucky to make the NHL. There's no reason to expect the next Clowe or whatever.
...would be nice, though...

McCarron - Crisp - de la Rose

The New Legion of Doom...

Old
07-11-2013, 08:05 AM
WestIslander

Crisp is a project/gamble, he is basically a 4th line player that plays with a mean streak, can hit, fight and can even play goalie, apparently this kid has a lot of character.

I think Crisp is a fighter/tough guy.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Tim Wallach

I've seen Crisp a number of times live and I have a few observations. First on size... it looks to me like 6'4 is a bit of a stretch. I would have guessed 6'2 or maybe 6'3, but whatever. But he is THICK. A very solid build that is hard to knock off the puck.

And last year he really upped the ante on playing with an edge. He played with attitude and aggression most nights I saw him. Not over the top, but certainly to the level of letting opponents know not to mess with him.

I'm not saying he'll ever be as good or be the same, but honestly the NHLer he played the most like was Lucic. Uses his body in a very similar way, has enough hands to own the net front and bang in some goals and while he doesn't go out of his way to be a tough guy, he's certainly a presence on the ice to be aware of.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I've seen Crisp a number of times live and I have a few observations. First on size... it looks to me like 6'4 is a bit of a stretch. I would have guessed 6'2 or maybe 6'3, but whatever. But he is THICK. A very solid build that is hard to knock off the puck.

And last year he really upped the ante on playing with an edge. He played with attitude and aggression most nights I saw him. Not over the top, but certainly to the level of letting opponents know not to mess with him.

I'm not saying he'll ever be as good or be the same, but honestly the NHLer he played the most like was Lucic. Uses his body in a very similar way, has enough hands to own the net front and bang in some goals and while he doesn't go out of his way to be a tough guy, he's certainly a presence on the ice to be aware of.

But but he's useless.. can't skate.. hands of stone..

According to everyone who's never seen him play once this year

Old
07-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
But but he's useless.. can't skate.. hands of stone..

According to everyone who's never seen him play once this year

No kidding. But really, I saw a fairly effective player in all honesty. His skating is not nearly as bad as some make out. I saw him actually go wide on the D a number of times and drive the net. He may not have breakaway speed, but he's deceptive for a big guy. And his hands were decent. He snapped off a few goals in close that could easily have been Cam Neely if you covered the name plate up.

All I'm saying is there is something to work with here. A lot of raw tools that make an NHL player. I'd like to see him go to a high-end junior team with good developmental coaching. But I would not be surprised at all to see him in the NHL in a couple years.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

He could be our Andrew Shaw. Who knows

Old
07-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Bacchus1

So, where will he play in the fall? Wasn't he an over-ager last year? ECHL or AHL?

Old
07-11-2013, 09:01 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
So, where will he play in the fall? Wasn't he an over-ager last year? ECHL or AHL?
I think this coming season is his 'overage' season, so he is still eligible to play for the otters.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:11 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
OHL. He was drafted in his second year of draft eligibility. He's only a '94, so this coming season he will not count as an overager. Players born in '93 are in the their overage season this season coming up. So Crisp will be an overager if he plays in the OHL (instead of turning pro) during the '14-'15 season.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Bacchus1

Old
07-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Koivu 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally and Chucky View Post
He could be our Andrew Shaw. Who knows
this, i heard MB was very big on drafting Shaw as an overager as well...

Closed Thread