HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Connor Crisp with the 71st overall pick (info in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
windycity

vCash: 500
not loving this pick but what the hell, it's at 71, might as well go for a real project

the skating is worrisome but can be taught, improved. What it sounds like is more likely to hold him back is his lack of agility even for a big guy. Agility can be taught to some degree but not like skating technique.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
not loving this pick but what the hell, it's at 71, might as well go for a real project

the skating is worrisome but can be taught, improved. What it sounds like is more likely to hold him back is his lack of agility even for a big guy. Agility can be taught to some degree but not like skating technique.
Nah, they should teach him how to control his rebounds and stay square to shooters.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:58 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
I just don't understand some people sometimes. For all you people saying we need bigger tougher players that can fight and hit and saying no to smaller skilled guys then the Habs go and draft a couple of bigger grinders type guys and you guys all flip out. why didn't they draft this guy way more skilled.
I think the only people flipping out are the ones who prefer us to draft smaller faster skilled players. All the guys who advocate a bigger team seem to be quite content with our picks including Crisp.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
RC51

Every player picked past the 2nd round has issues. Some good some bad.
If you wait until that same huge 6.4 230lb ENFORCER learns to skate well and learns to score25 goals in the NHL, all 30 teams will outbid you for him. Issues just as bad as a 40 goal scorer that is 5.6 you had better hope for a growth spurt. Since Habs NEED BIG then you try to pick BIG and take you chance on if the Habs can send him a skating coach for the next 2-3 years. He will never be fast but all he has to do is be as fast as Lucic and we will love him. Please remember this, Habs once picked Komisarek and thought he might do the job, well no fight in that dog. Once picked Latendresse, no fight in that dog. I could go on. It's time that the habs at least try to groom a real enforcer to be a good hockey player rather then a good hockey player to be an enforcer.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Every player picked past the 2nd round has issues. Some good some bad.
If you wait until that same huge 6.4 230lb ENFORCER learns to skate well and learns to score25 goals in the NHL, all 30 teams will outbid you for him. Issues just as bad as a 40 goal scorer that is 5.6 you had better hope for a growth spurt. Since Habs NEED BIG then you try to pick BIG and take you chance on if the Habs can send him a skating coach for the next 2-3 years. He will never be fast but all he has to do is be as fast as Lucic and we will love him. Please remember this, Habs once picked Komisarek and thought he might do the job, well no fight in that dog. Once picked Latendresse, no fight in that dog. I could go on. It's time that the habs at least try to groom a real enforcer to be a good hockey player rather then a good hockey player to be an enforcer.
is he really an enforcer though? He looked pretty good in that one scrap soembody posted but other people claim he can't fight his way out of a paper bag

Old
07-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Lions999

He`s not really a goon he is a character guy, he`ll do anything for his team. I did see him not fairing well in some fights, but he was smaller then, he was about 6`1 and 205 lbs at the time.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
is he really an enforcer though? He looked pretty good in that one scrap soembody posted but other people claim he can't fight his way out of a paper bag
8-4-1 is pretty good record for me!

Old
07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
68*

Didn't like the pick at first but 6ft4 225. Fights from time to time and doesn't do badly. If he can become a non-punching bag version of Ryan White I'd be happy.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Hoping he can be a Neil/Thornton type.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Axey

We'll see what he can do. Probably took him too early but obviously someone thought/knew he wouldn't be around later. Pick has Shane Churla written all over it though.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Noob616

This was the only one I was kinda scratching my head about but whatever. It's a guy at #71 so let's hope he can pan out and be a solid bottom 6 physical guy.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Things I love:

* People complaining that he is an overager who wasn't drafted in a year in which he played six games, and then getting all sexual on the annual undrafted NCAA free agent frenzy.

* Trevor Timmins being the only person in the universe who did not get the email containing every other team's draft list, and thus being the only person who didn't know Crisp would have been available three rounds later.

* Rick Dudley covertly hijacking the draft process, using his Jedi mind tricks to get Timmins to draft players he doesn't want to draft. SUCKY players who look terrible on paper.

* Assuming that a third round pick should have no flaws in his game. Because, you know, it's a deep draft.

* Connon Crisp as a pick.
You have to love people who keeps dissing others who have opinions. I guess it's easier that way instead of having their own opinions. Then, maybe just maybe, it has more to do with liking some players more than others. For players that do follow prospects, things like that will happen. Also, for others who don't follow prospects, well it's all about referring yourself to professionnals who do...and where was Crisp in most lists? Yeah...that's it. Does everything means he won,t end up good...of course not. We are not doing an hindsight exercice here. Just giving our amateur opinion on picks. I have no idea why it's so hard to understand. Funny part is that when we do it, we don't know what we're talking about. That we should shut up and wait till we bash. But then if we end up waiting 4, 5, 6 years and bash the picks...we are going to be bash for "hindsight bashing".....So when do we have a right to say something?

Do we have to think that it will be a great draft? I guess we can based on the fact that our MVP, see my avatar, made the final decisions. But does that mean he's always right? No due to the nature of the exercice. For me, there were better player to be chosen at that rank with some flaws, as if we all think no prospects have them...not sure where you got the idea. As far as the NCAA vs Crisp...I don't see it. NCAA undrafted players we get all worked over are guys we think could help the AHL team and even our team immediately. That we had plenty of time to see their evolution and believe they can help immediately. While Crips, because he missed a full year, his development could go in any direction. Now....I do agree....him missing a full year, you could totally buy the fact that he went under the radar and will end up great for us. That's the wish. We all wish it. We will all follow his progression. Not sure where Erie is suppose to be but it would help if he'd be traded to a contender. But your example is just totally different. I mean, we will have to take a decision on Crisp in 2 years. As far as the NCAA, you have 4 years to predict which kind of player he will be.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
The description minus the overager comment remind me a lot of "Lucic" description after he was drafted. Poor skater, not much offense, character guy, at least 4-5 years away from the NHL. Guess what? Lucic made the NHL at 19 years old after a very impressive Memorial cup run. I don't want to claim he is the next lucic, hell no. I do remember tough that Timmins claimed just before the draft that skating is correctable with the right attitude. At least he has the frame at 6'4 and some potent skills.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
bud12

Quote:
dropyourgloves and hockeyfights.com are good tools. Peoples who think he's a punching bag don't know what they are talking about

Old
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to love people who keeps dissing others who have opinions. I guess it's easier that way instead of having their own opinions. Then, maybe just maybe, it has more to do with liking some players more than others. For players that do follow prospects, things like that will happen. Also, for others who don't follow prospects, well it's all about referring yourself to professionnals who do...and where was Crisp in most lists? Yeah...that's it. Does everything means he won,t end up good...of course not. We are not doing an hindsight exercice here. Just giving our amateur opinion on picks. I have no idea why it's so hard to understand. Funny part is that when we do it, we don't know what we're talking about. That we should shut up and wait till we bash. But then if we end up waiting 4, 5, 6 years and bash the picks...we are going to be bash for "hindsight bashing".....So when do we have a right to say something?

Do we have to think that it will be a great draft? I guess we can based on the fact that our MVP, see my avatar, made the final decisions. But does that mean he's always right? No due to the nature of the exercice. For me, there were better player to be chosen at that rank with some flaws, as if we all think no prospects have them...not sure where you got the idea. As far as the NCAA vs Crisp...I don't see it. NCAA undrafted players we get all worked over are guys we think could help the AHL team and even our team immediately. That we had plenty of time to see their evolution and believe they can help immediately. While Crips, because he missed a full year, his development could go in any direction. Now....I do agree....him missing a full year, you could totally buy the fact that he went under the radar and will end up great for us. That's the wish. We all wish it. We will all follow his progression. Not sure where Erie is suppose to be but it would help if he'd be traded to a contender. But your example is just totally different. I mean, we will have to take a decision on Crisp in 2 years. As far as the NCAA, you have 4 years to predict which kind of player he will be.
There is rational, informed disagreement, which leads to healthy and fun debate. And then there is this, over a THIRD round pick (I stopped around page 4):

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
That's the worst pick I've ever seen. **** this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Pretty clearly Timmins is on the outs and Rick ****ing Dudley is making terrible picks for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I liked all of our other picks but this one is ****ing awful
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I'm convinced Timmins is not making these picks, this draft has been crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
We just drafted a third rate goon in the 3rd round.

There's no way Timmins is pulling the shots anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
This pick was absolutely terrible, there should be no defending it.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
I just don't understand some people sometimes. For all you people saying we need bigger tougher players that can fight and hit and saying no to smaller skilled guys then the Habs go and draft a couple of bigger grinders type guys and you guys all flip out. why didn't they draft this guy way more skilled.
People have also the toughest time to deal with the OVERALL sentiment of a fanbase with the each and personal views of different posters. Personnally, I ALSO want a bigger team. But it has to be for the NHL team. I mean, we did pick Conboy once. This great fighter who was terrorizing the USHL until he met the NHL....We picked Pribyl too. Naatinen was and still is big yet....not really NHL potential. And then we let go Archambault 'cause he's too small but draft Andrighetto, Reway and Lehkonen. Now, in no way am I saying those picks were bad and so on....but each pick is different. Each has a purpose. I mean, because we want a bigger team, should we then be pissed because we picked those 3 smaller guys? Of course not. Each case and each pick is different. And the face of the team is not solely changed by the draft picks. As usually, except for Timmins, most of them don't play in the NHL.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
LeMAD

Quite funny to see the amount of unknowledgeable people with such strong opinions in here. (positive or negative)

Old
07-01-2013, 11:28 AM
EON 93
very ok poster

vCash: 400
Hello guys, erie otters fan, just happened to stumble upon this thread looking up stuff about crisp being drafted. I am very happy for crisp, he is a high character guy who works very hard. He is very big, and very strong, and a good fighter in the ohl. He is very strong around the net and that is where most of his goals occur, but not that great elsewhere. If he can improve his skating and put out a more consistent effort he is a first liner in the ohl, bottom six guy in the nhl in a few years (in my opinion). Also, he is NOT an overager this season. Erie's overagers are Fox, McDowell, and Abraham. So he can play two more years with Erie, and there has been some discussion that he may be on a line with McDavid and Dylan Strome next season. Using a third round pick on him was a little high but he is not the piece of garbage like some fans earlier were saying.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Hello guys, erie otters fan, just happened to stumble upon this thread looking up stuff about crisp being drafted. I am very happy for crisp, he is a high character guy who works very hard. He is very big, and very strong, and a good fighter in the ohl. He is very strong around the net and that is where most of his goals occur, but not that great elsewhere. If he can improve his skating and put out a more consistent effort he is a first liner in the ohl, bottom six guy in the nhl in a few years (in my opinion). Also, he is NOT an overager this season. Erie's overagers are Fox, McDowell, and Abraham. So he can play two more years with Erie, and there has been some discussion that he may be on a line with McDavid and Dylan Strome next season. Using a third round pick on him was a little high but he is not the piece of garbage like some fans earlier were saying.
Thank you for your insight!

Old
07-01-2013, 11:34 AM
ChesterNimitz

Watching the limited number of tapes available for Crisp, I can't say that I'm impressed with the pick. Aside from the issue that there were much higher rated players available, my concern always returns to the issue of asset management. While taking Fucale at 36 was an example of good asset management (by acquiring value regardless of need) it is questionable if taking Crisp at 71 was a similar exercise in this regard. Did we get good value in this pick? Should we have picked another player? Or have used the pick to move up in the third or even second round to obtain a targeted player. I think the pick on Crisp was unimaginative and largely a thrown away asset. But maybe they've seen something that doesn't show up on the tapes. I hope so.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:38 AM
HCH

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but this draft seems to have brought some balance into the organization. Honestly, after the first three or four players it is a longshot that anyone in the draft is going to be a significant contributor to their NHL team next year so this is a step towards developing our future needs.

Immediate needs will have to be addressed by the players already under contract, potential free agent signings and trades.

When you look at the organizational depth before the draft you could see lack of power forwards, the lack of an enforcer and no legitimate goaltending prospect on the horizon. The team attempted to address all of those organizational shortcomings with four out of the first five players chosen.

Then you look at Lehkonen, Andrighetto and Reway. All three are smaller but highly skilled players not much different in size than Brendan Gallagher or Patrick Kane (not comparing talent but the size of players who have made it to the NHL). Sure they are longshots but after the first fifty players have been chosen, almost everyone is a longshot. Each of them have unique characteristics that make them worth the roll of the dice.

Gregoire, from what I have read, is a gamer. He seems to have the attributes to become a contributor on the bottom six if he continues to develop. Team are always looking for that kind of player.

The one word that Timmins mentioned over and over is character. It is something we can't see in the stats lines but the scouts can evaluate through conversations and observations.

Personally I am pleased with the draft but we really won't be able to determine success or failure for 4 or 5 years. The overreaction has been amazing to see. Hindsight will always prove the team could have been more successful at the draft table but then you could say that about every team.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:40 AM
EON 93
very ok poster

vCash: 400
I'd also like to mention Crisp was pretty inconsistent this season. Some nights he looked absolutely unstoppable, other games he didnt do much. But he has two years to figure that out. Example of Crisp on his game: two games in two nights where Crisp registered 4 goals and 2 assists. This is him on his game.

December 13: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...69b58db26dccb8

December 14: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...7403cb13afc943

Hope i helped

Old
07-01-2013, 11:42 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Watching the limited number of tapes available for Crisp, I can't say that I'm impressed with the pick. Aside from the issue that there were much higher rated players available, my concern always returns to the issue of asset management. While taking Fucale at 36 was an example of good asset management (by acquiring value regardless of need) it is questionable if taking Crisp at 71 was a similar exercise in this regard. Did we get good value in this pick? Should we have picked another player? Or have used the pick to move up in the third or even second round to obtain a targeted player. I think the pick on Crisp was unimaginative and largely a thrown away asset. But maybe they've seen something that doesn't show up on the tapes. I hope so.
It is the one I have the most questions about too but missing a season with shoulder injury left him with a lot of catching up to do during an important development year. Time will tell... maybe the Habs are hoping for the poor man's version of Bryan Bickell or a more aggressive Travis Moen.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Dharvey33

lol we drafted a potential Prust in the 3rd round what a terrible pick. You guys are funny always trying to find the next mario lemieux.

At least we know what he brings and he will be hungry to get a spot in the big leagues. I could see him on our 4th line which would be good for a 3rd rounder.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Et le But

I'd be happy if we drafted a potential Jody Shelley, let alone a Prust. Making the NHL alone would redeem this pick.

Closed Thread