HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valeri Nichushkin = look out Howard

Old
11-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Fedorov
Bab Bye Holland Next

vCash: 500
Valeri Nichushkin = look out Howard

Keep an eye on this rookie tomorrow. He likes to beat defensemen to the outside but he cuts in on the goalie like a runnaway freight train. I think he is still getting used to his speed and angles on the smaller ice rinks. Thye moved him to the top line last game so he should be playing with Benn and Seguin.

Kid has amazing talent but I hope they Howard have a game plan to protect Howard.

Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 12:48 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

If he runs Howard, Tootoo will kick his....wait damn it. Ummm, well let's hope he misses.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
If he runs Howard, Tootoo will kick his....wait damn it. Ummm, well let's hope he misses.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

^Tootoo wasn't going to be the answer, however the fact that Smith and Ericsson are out is kind of concerning in this regard.

Nichushkin plays on their first line, he doesn't need to worry about some pissant fourth liner that hardly ever plays. They wouldn't let Tootoo touch him even if he ran over Howard. We are also talking about a guy that stood on the ice when Kronwall got cleaned by MacLeod in the corner.

The bigger problem here is the way our D was getting walked the other night in Winnipeg this is a real problem for us, they better show up with their skating legs ready.

Also you can promise if he does it Jimmy himself is coming up swinging with his blocker, we already know that. I haven't seen Nichushkin bowl over the goalie in the same manner since they took off the full cage they make junior players wear in any game. Maybe it has happened, but I think he is a little more careful when he knows he is going to get hit in the face by everyone.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Maybe Babcock can strategically place Cleary to fall down in front of him.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Maybe Babcock can strategically place Cleary to fall down in front of him.
Will only happen at the blueline

Chance on Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Henkka

Nichushkin wasn't afraid of Chris Neil or Matt Kassian to make runs against Craig Anderson. Why would he fear anybody? Goons don't scare anyone in hockey anymore.

Just keep him off the puck, that's the way to neutralize him.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:04 PM
joe89

Play Pavel against him and he won't keep the puck past the neutral zone.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:28 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Nichushkin wasn't afraid of Chris Neil or Matt Kassian to make runs against Craig Anderson. Why would he fear anybody? Goons don't scare anyone in hockey anymore.
they never have. it's just a fantasy myth led by don cherry to try to justify why fighting is a necessary (albeit entertaining) part of the game

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
they never have. it's just a fantasy myth led by don cherry to try to justify why fighting is a necessary (albeit entertaining) part of the game
They were a part of the game when he coached, I remember it being a part of the game when I was younger.

Not saying sucker punches don't happen anymore, but that part of the game really all seemed to change when Bert got Moore. Have not really seen something that seems the same since and that was very much a part of hockey until that point in a more frequent way in my opinion.

Also keep in mind teams used to have 3 or 4 of these guys, sometimes the whole fourth line, sometimes throughout the lineup, usually one of the D-man was a big mean scary dude.

That is where Cherry has lost it, the players all got bigger and do year round conditioning, the code weakened overtime. As you can see in the video above Probert will hit someone a couple times, but he wants the goon, the guy that went after Yzerman and broke the code. Well that isn't the game today, you might have one, you might have a couple fighters or pretty good hockey players that can also fight. But it just isn't the same, there are only three or four teams in the league built to fight like they used to and the league has seen to that.

The talent level is up, but I think the strength thing is a big deal here. It is hard to get into these, Crosby and the likes can hold up or go to the ice with somebody and the linesman will show up. The very real case of the benches could empty or the linesman and refs might not be able to save me has left, that was a part of the I better not do this idea. Part of why McCarty beautifully timed the refs were engaged got rid of his and did a ton of damage on Lemieux before they could get back to him.

I am fine with that, but there was very a much a time where you did have to worry about this kind of stuff. If Probert or Kocur really disliked something they might just hop off the bench and administer justice right then and there. By the way those same rugged 70's and 80's hockey players also seemed to have a better understanding of what would constitute immediate reprisal, not all the time but there was a difference in my opinion.

Hockey has evolved though whether you like this stuff or you don't. Cherry needs to understand that, Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren don't automatically get Abdelkader to stop running d-man or setting up camp out front, why because in part he knows if it goes down grab on and get him on the ice, help is coming. Plus the pace of the game made it so carrying a bunch of these guys just isn't a good idea anymore.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Nicha never ran Andy on Sunday. I was there. When he did end up falling awkwardly on Anderson he was leaning down next time him afterwards when Anderson was laying on the ice, looked like he was talking to him, probably apologizing.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:04 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Nicha never ran Andy on Sunday. I was there. When he did end up falling awkwardly on Anderson he was leaning down next time him afterwards when Anderson was laying on the ice, looked like he was talking to him, probably apologizing.
also he may have tripped on karlsson's foot a bit.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
also he may have tripped on karlsson's foot a bit.
There definitely looked like some contact on the replay.

Old
11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
geoo9

Quote:
oohhh no- nuke just told him -Asta la vista babe) or Do svidanya (good bye) because he knows only russian -and few phrases from Terminator 2
He even celebrates like t2 -patting teammates on the head
http://imgur.com/FblCHOT

Last edited by geoo9: 11-06-2013 at 03:57 PM.
geoo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoo9 View Post
oohhh no- nuke just told him -Asta la vista babe) or Do svidanya (good bye) because he knows only russian -and few phrases from Terminator 2
He even celebrates like t2 -patting teammates on the head
http://imgur.com/FblCHOT

Old
11-07-2013, 02:39 AM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
This.
And why fear him? This isnīt the second coming of Malkin or anything. I am more nervous about what Benn will do to our defense on the forecheck...

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Sergei DRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextDaigle View Post
This.
And why fear him? This isnīt the second coming of Malkin or anything. I am more nervous about what Benn will do to our defense on the forecheck...
Are you serious? Nuke is ultra-talented. Malkin at 18 could have been walked over by anybody.
With time and proper development Val is going to be a force - huge guy with good wheels and a great stick-handling ability, better than anyone of his age group.

Sergei DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Xvash2

Watched Nichushkin play in Boston Tuesday night, he looked very out of place on the first line. Very hesitant with the puck, constantly bobbling easy plays. I wouldn't worry about him more than Benn or Chiasson.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:53 AM
mizunox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
Watched Nichushkin play in Boston Tuesday night, he looked very out of place on the first line. Very hesitant with the puck, constantly bobbling easy plays. I wouldn't worry about him more than Benn or Chiasson.
I didn't watch this game, but I watched him play in Ottawa and thought he looked strong every time he was on the ice.
You're right that the team can't put all of their focus on one rookie, but he'll definitely be one to watch tonight.

The kid has a great combination of speed and a willingness to go to the net.

mizunox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
DeYarmond Edison
Subtle Interference

vCash: 400
The past has shown that Howard can handle himself pretty well haha

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 07:21 PM
lilidk

is he 9' or something ?

lilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Look out, Lehtonen, you mean. Great defensive coverage by Nichushkin on that Datsyuk goal. He just took off.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:01 PM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei DRW View Post
Are you serious? Nuke is ultra-talented. Malkin at 18 could have been walked over by anybody.
With time and proper development Val is going to be a force - huge guy with good wheels and a great stick-handling ability, better than anyone of his age group.
I am being very serious. Malkin >>> Nichuchkin. That is not a knock on Valeri as he is a great talent as well, but he will never reach the level of Malkin. I wasnīt talking of Malkin at age 18.

Seth Jones (!), Sean Monahan, MacKinnon and Barkov are all outscoring Nichuchkin right now, so your claim of him being better than anyone in his age group simply doesnīt hold water, statistically at least. But we will revise at the end of the season and see what happens.

And guess who popped up with a goal? Yeah, Benn did...

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote