HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings 4th Round Pick #103 - Justin Auger

Old
07-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tookey98 View Post
I remember watching Chara with the Prince George Cougars his skating was pretty bad, by no means am I saying he will turn out like Chara but its seems to me sometime these tall kids develop a bit slower while they grow into there body. Then again he can end up like Brian Boyle at least he wasn't drafted in the first round
Boyle's problem is between the ears. The Kings current scouting staff is much bigger on character and drive

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

vCash: 500
A lot of kids that young and that tall are still trying to catch up to their bodies, couple of years and he'll get more comfortable and probably skate better.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:58 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Max Kitsyn was hailed as the next Malkin. Then he was a real late pick. Now he's back to having real good potential. It's ALL about development.
Care to elaborate on this cns? I haven't heard any positive feedback on Kitsyn since he left N.A ( apart from 'isghost referring to his drive). So this ALL about development statement threw me into lolling roffles. Is he still the next Malkin?

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Brock

I had Auger as the 2nd best "overager"/"re-entry" available from the OHL this year.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...e-entries.html

I definitely like the pick for you guys. You've had great success using this strategy over the past few years.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:31 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Thanks for the input!

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
Care to elaborate on this cns? I haven't heard any positive feedback on Kitsyn since he left N.A ( apart from 'isghost referring to his drive). So this ALL about development statement threw me into lolling roffles. Is he still the next Malkin?
cns may know the exact time frame but at one point when Kitsyn was like 15 or 16 he was thought to be the next great Russian hockey player and people compared him to Malkin. He struggled the next few years jumping between leagues and the comparison stopped being used for the most part by the time the Kings drafted him. He's still thought of to be a good prospect but just doesn't have the crazy hype that he once had.

tigermask48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:05 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
cns may know the exact time frame but at one point when Kitsyn was like 15 or 16 he was thought to be the next great Russian hockey player and people compared him to Malkin. He struggled the next few years jumping between leagues and the comparison stopped being used for the most part by the time the Kings drafted him. He's still thought of to be a good prospect but just doesn't have the crazy hype that he once had.
At 14 when he was 6 1 and already becoming a man. He has always been 3 years ahead in physical development and now he isn't. I love my Russians and hope I eat a bunch of crow on this, I like his character too.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:08 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Hi dru.

Sorry I have been very busy with the draft and haven't had time to really catch up. I had an email from MK and have been following his game overseas. He still has as much game upside drive and grit as ever. I say give him a year in the AHL and he could become THE 3rd line LW who bangs has great hands and plays with an edge that he have been waiting for. MK still has it and is ready to show it.

He isn't Malkin but I never thought he was. I have always thought of him as being a better meaner and steadier version of Frolov. If that stands true then he could be a hell of an NHLer for us. Sort of his own kind of player that doesn't really draw any perfect comparisons but that is how I see him.

Zy is a better version of both Fro and Max though. I am still totally stunned that we got him. The kid is aces.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 01:10 AM
hangons

Auger a bust?

Too early to say Justin Auger is a bust? Yes, I know he had mono but only 4 goals and 2 assists after 19 games on a great team?? Not to mention he had the hat trick in one game so that means he's had only 1 goal in the other 18 games he has played. Looks like a probable bust.

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangons View Post
Too early to say Justin Auger is a bust? Yes, I know he had mono but only 4 goals and 2 assists after 19 games on a great team?? Not to mention he had the hat trick in one game so that means he's had only 1 goal in the other 18 games he has played. Looks like a probable bust.
Can you really consider 4th round picks busts? That label is usually saved for 1st or 2nd round picks since the probability of success for players in those rounds tends to be higher. After that, you'd be happy if one or two picks beyond the 2nd round turn into NHL players.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 01:24 AM
damacles1156

4th rounders are not busts.....They are projects, that you hope make your NHL roster at some point.

See Dwight King.

Thomas Hickey is a bust(4th overall)....Considering he didn't make the Kings roster, also never produced like his draft slot demanded.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 01:53 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I HATED this pick for the sole fact that Andrew Copp went with the next pick. And Copp's play has proved me right SO FAR. But the Kings love Auger. Wanted him the year before. They see him as a big brick of clay. Want to mold him. Lots of tools. Not a fan though.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I HATED this pick for the sole fact that Andrew Copp went with the next pick. And Copp's play has proved me right SO FAR. But the Kings love Auger. Wanted him the year before. They see him as a big brick of clay. Want to mold him. Lots of tools. Not a fan though.
I guess they must've loved playing with a piece of clay like Brian Boyle so much that they wanted to try it again with Auger. Just wait until they convert him to defense in Manchester.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 02:20 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I guess they must've loved playing with a piece of clay like Brian Boyle so much that they wanted to try it again with Auger. Just wait until they convert him to defense in Manchester.
If at first you don't succeed, trade him to the Rangers and draft a less skilled version to try and try again?

Old
12-17-2013, 02:36 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Luckily the Jets managed to land Copp . I was also a fan of Copp pre-draft (in fact I snagged him in a 7 round mock I did, albeit in the 7th round).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Haha, I guess but there is almost no comparison to be made here other than the size. Auger is more of a grinder type whereas Boyle was always known as more of an offensive player, a big guy that protected the puck and made things happen with the puck. That turned out to be not enough so he changed his game to a more simply game to make the next level.

Auger was never a favourite pick of mine. Not sure if he really has any NHL future, other than maybe as a goon. Never liked this one from the Kings.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 03:36 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
4th rounders are not busts.....They are projects, that you hope make your NHL roster at some point.

See Dwight King.

Thomas Hickey is a bust(4th overall)....Considering he didn't make the Kings roster, also never produced like his draft slot demanded.
Hicks can't really be. Considered a bust since he was projected to go 15th - 25th overall. Besides, this is his rookie season. You can't judge someone while they're still a rookie.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 06:02 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShot View Post
Hicks can't really be. Considered a bust since he was projected to go 15th - 25th overall. Besides, this is his rookie season. You can't judge someone while they're still a rookie.
He is a bust for the Kings, cause he could not make the roster, and is no longer their property.

That is a bust... Doesn't matter if he should have gone 15th to 24th, the Kings picked him 4th overall...

And he is not on their NHL roster, Six years later(....That's a bust)

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 09:43 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShot View Post
Not his rookie season, last year was.

But I do agree can't call him a bust when he's an NHL regular. A disappointment, sure, but if he goes on to play 700 NHL games that's not a bust.

Jason Bonsignore, now that's a 4th overall bust.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Fat Elvis

19 games and a 4th round draft pick and he's a bust. Hmmm

Now Gibson, drafted @ #49 and not even being signed. That's a bust

Last edited by Fat Elvis: 12-17-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 01:45 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
19 games and a 4th round draft pick and he's a bust. Hmmm

Now Gibson, drafted @ #49 and not even being signed. That's a bust
Gibson was always a terrible pick. I said that from the start. Never ever liked that pick.

Old
12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Gibson was always a terrible pick. I said that from the start. Never ever liked that pick.
Would love to know what the scouting staff thought they saw there. I know he was "raw" with potential, but were they trying to hit a home run? Seems odd to cut ties so early if so.

Anyway, Auger is obviously a long-term project. Hard to call him a bust when it's so low-risk and long-term.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 02:59 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Would love to know what the scouting staff thought they saw there. I know he was "raw" with potential, but were they trying to hit a home run? Seems odd to cut ties so early if so.

Anyway, Auger is obviously a long-term project. Hard to call him a bust when it's so low-risk and long-term.
The Kings seem to focus on character, even above skill. The home runs come late if at all, like Ebert.

I'd suspect they felt he had the mental toughness they like in goalies, and something about him didn't mature.

The Kings under Futa though aren't looking great drafting goalies. Eary returns on most were good, but then they have stumbled. Yes, Martin Jones looks good right now, but up until a month ago people were questioning if he even had a future with the Kings. Since Futa's first draft in 2007, the Kings have selected Linden Rowat (not even signed), Jean-Francois Berube (first year in AHL as a regular and would be a backup if not for Jones recall), Gibson (not even signed) and Patrik Bartosak (way to early to call).

As good as our drafting is, it leaves a lot to be desired between the pipes.

Old
12-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The Kings seem to focus on character, even above skill. The home runs come late if at all, like Ebert.

I'd suspect they felt he had the mental toughness they like in goalies, and something about him didn't mature.

The Kings under Futa though aren't looking great drafting goalies. Eary returns on most were good, but then they have stumbled. Yes, Martin Jones looks good right now, but up until a month ago people were questioning if he even had a future with the Kings. Since Futa's first draft in 2007, the Kings have selected Linden Rowat (not even signed), Jean-Francois Berube (first year in AHL as a regular and would be a backup if not for Jones recall), Gibson (not even signed) and Patrik Bartosak (way to early to call).

As good as our drafting is, it leaves a lot to be desired between the pipes.
Seems like homegrown goalies are one of our strengths. No? Quick bernier now jones. Cant ask for much more than that.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Seems like homegrown goalies are one of our strengths. No? Quick bernier now jones. Cant ask for much more than that.
JF Berube is going to be good. Believe. Trust me. Kid is ****ing legit too.

Old
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Quick and Bernier were under the last director of scouting (Murray) and Jones does look good, but obviously it is a very short sample.

I'm concerned that Futa has drafted four goalies and none have come close to even being regular AHLers yet, nevermind NHLers.