HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2016, 09:56 PM
  #101
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 165
C is cool. But I don't really give a damn about the character of my goalie (other than their work ethic to improve).

Husko is offline  
Old
09-01-2016, 04:18 AM
  #102
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
So how long until a Sabres fan goes Full Buffalo and manufactures a crisis that Petersen will UFA after his senior season?
It's a legit worry.

HogtownSabresfan is offline  
Old
09-01-2016, 06:06 AM
  #103
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,024
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's a legit worry.
No, it isn't

Duddy is offline  
Old
09-01-2016, 07:21 AM
  #104
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's a legit worry.
If he's not signed by next year's training camp, then I'll worry.

Ruckus007 is offline  
Old
09-01-2016, 07:46 AM
  #105
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,769
vCash: 500
I won't be shocked if he signs after this season ala Fasching a year ago.

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
09-01-2016, 09:26 AM
  #106
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,718
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's a legit worry.
Not really, unless you find the mere existence of "because he could go UFA" to be a particularly compelling reason. Unlike Nashville and Vesey, it appears that Buffalo hasn't been rebuffed in an effort to sign him. Also - and this can be difficult to remember after two months of Vesey discussion - it's the exception, rather than the rule, that college players don't sign with the teams that drafted them. Further, when is the last time that a goaltender has refused to sign with the team that drafted him and then signed elsewhere? Unlike Vesey, he's not going to have his pick of basically any NHL team that he wants, even if he does have a couple more good seasons.

It would also make little sense for him to refuse to sign for practical reasons. He can burn an ELC year and I don't see too many other organizational goaltending situations that have as many question marks as ours, which is especially true if Lehner has durability issues again and/or Ullmark is awful in the AHL again. I'd bet an avatar that he's signing with us after ND's season this year. I'm not concerned at all.


Last edited by Zip15: 09-01-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Zip15 is offline  
Old
09-01-2016, 09:28 AM
  #107
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 67,108
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I won't be shocked if he signs after this season ala Fasching a year ago.
Agreed. Another solid year with ND and then pro.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
09-01-2016, 11:01 AM
  #108
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I won't be shocked if he signs after this season ala Fasching a year ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agreed. Another solid year with ND and then pro.
I wouldn't be surprised either. But it also wouldn't shock me if everyone agrees he should go back for his senior year. Especially if Kasdorf impresses in Rochester and they want him to take over starting full time (assuming Ulmark moves to Buffalo), they might prefer him developing through his senior year before moving him to the AHL.

Husko is offline  
Old
09-02-2016, 06:23 AM
  #109
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
I wouldn't be surprised either. But it also wouldn't shock me if everyone agrees he should go back for his senior year. Especially if Kasdorf impresses in Rochester and they want him to take over starting full time (assuming Ulmark moves to Buffalo), they might prefer him developing through his senior year before moving him to the AHL.
I doubt it.

The likely gameplan is Ullmark replaces Nilsson and Cal and Kasdorf are in Rochester. I wouldn't be shocked if Cal is better than Kasdorf next year and they bump Kasdorf to Elmira to get starts.

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
09-02-2016, 06:45 AM
  #110
WJZ3
SAVEMONEY
 
WJZ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
I remember when Fasching was apparently supposed to leave for the Wild lol

It's obnoxious to think that every college player will leave as a UFA, it's very, very rare

WJZ3 is offline  
Old
09-03-2016, 09:29 PM
  #111
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJZ3 View Post
I remember when Fasching was apparently supposed to leave for the Wild lol

It's obnoxious to think that every college player will leave as a UFA, it's very, very rare
It can happen so it's a legit worry. This is completely out of our control. Panic time? No. But nobody loves this loophole. It wouldn't surprise me if it's not part of the next CBA

HogtownSabresfan is offline  
Old
09-04-2016, 12:45 AM
  #112
dotcommunism
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It can happen so it's a legit worry. This is completely out of our control. Panic time? No. But nobody loves this loophole. It wouldn't surprise me if it's not part of the next CBA
This "loophole", which isn't a loophole but pretty explicitly how the rules are written, was around in the last CBA which had Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz not sign with the teams that drafted them. The teams that get burned by it might not be happy, but I don't think they care as much as the fans do. I don't think the league cares enough to try to change it.

Besides changing the rules to close this so-called loophole would require either a thorough re-writing of the rules regarding draft rights, which could lead to actual unforeseen loopholes, or changing the rules in a way which could lead to other issues the league doesn't want to deal with. I just don't see it happening.

dotcommunism is offline  
Old
09-04-2016, 12:51 AM
  #113
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
This "loophole", which isn't a loophole but pretty explicitly how the rules are written, was around in the last CBA which had Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz not sign with the teams that drafted them. The teams that get burned by it might not be happy, but I don't think they care as much as the fans do. I don't think the league cares enough to try to change it.

Besides changing the rules to close this so-called loophole would require either a thorough re-writing of the rules regarding draft rights, which could lead to actual unforeseen loopholes, or changing the rules in a way which could lead to other issues the league doesn't want to deal with. I just don't see it happening.
The single thing that would actually stop it from happening more than anything else (and which also has no chance of actually happening)? The NCAA letting their players sign futures contracts. If NCAA players could sign and go back to school like juniors players can the # would probably be reduced to close to zero.

Husko is offline  
Old
09-04-2016, 04:34 AM
  #114
dotcommunism
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
The single thing that would actually stop it from happening more than anything else (and which also has no chance of actually happening)? The NCAA letting their players sign futures contracts. If NCAA players could sign and go back to school like juniors players can the # would probably be reduced to close to zero.
Yeah there is absolutely no chance in hell the NCAA would ever allow players to sign professional contracts and still play NCAA hockey. That would require such an extreme change of ideas, and ideas that the NCAA relies upon to operate, that it would need to be completely destroyed for such a thing to happen.

More likely, although something I would say still wouldn't happen even though it wouldn't necessarily completely undermine the NCAA ideologically like your suggestion, would be to allow major junior players to retain their amateur status.

dotcommunism is offline  
Old
09-04-2016, 07:08 AM
  #115
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
This "loophole", which isn't a loophole but pretty explicitly how the rules are written, was around in the last CBA which had Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz not sign with the teams that drafted them. The teams that get burned by it might not be happy, but I don't think they care as much as the fans do. I don't think the league cares enough to try to change it.

Besides changing the rules to close this so-called loophole would require either a thorough re-writing of the rules regarding draft rights, which could lead to actual unforeseen loopholes, or changing the rules in a way which could lead to other issues the league doesn't want to deal with. I just don't see it happening.
You can call it whatever you want. Loophole, rule, whatever. What's in for the teams to give college players this out? More importantly what's in it for the NHLPA? I could easily see them sacrificing college players on this alter if they got something else.

There was some noise that Nashville and others would push for change but I guess we'll see.

The flip side is how big a problem is this really? It's been well discussed that it makes little economic sense to play it out when you can burn a year of your first contract -- Vesey likely cost himself money in exchange for UFA freedom.

HogtownSabresfan is offline  
Old
09-05-2016, 03:01 AM
  #116
SwordsandCats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Do you guys think that this change would work in the new CBA. NCAA player rights remain the same, but if a team tries to sign the player (like Nashville did for Vesey) and the player refuses, they have to wait anot her year to sign with an NHL team. Player would be more willing to sign with their drafted team. If no offer is made, the player can immediately sign.

SwordsandCats is offline  
Old
09-06-2016, 07:18 AM
  #117
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,769
vCash: 500
The only way to close this loophole is to change things such that a player that plays four years in the NCAA needs to wait an entire year after graduation to hit UFA.

Who knows if that is even a topic of discussion since it's such a rare occurrence.

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
09-06-2016, 10:41 AM
  #118
Reddawg
Registered User
 
Reddawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Is this the league record for worrying about losing a star NCAA player? Kid hasn't even played Game 1 of his junior season yet.

Reddawg is offline  
Old
09-08-2016, 06:12 PM
  #119
dotcommunism
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The only way to close this loophole is to change things such that a player that plays four years in the NCAA needs to wait an entire year after graduation to hit UFA.
Which means 1) if your team doesn't want to sign you, you're screwed 2) players who played a year of major junior after getting drafted can still become UFAs after their junior year of college.

Quote:
Who knows if that is even a topic of discussion since it's such a rare occurrence.
It probably isn't, except among fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Is this the league record for worrying about losing a star NCAA player? Kid hasn't even played Game 1 of his junior season yet.
I recall there was some concern about Fasching this time last year and McCabe a year before he signed.

dotcommunism is offline  
Old
09-08-2016, 10:33 PM
  #120
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,718
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post

I recall there was some concern about Fasching this time last year and McCabe a year before he signed.
Buffalo gonna Buffalo. Someone tweeted at Bakes today that he was concerned Fitzgerald would do well at BC, refuse to sign, go UFA and sign with Boston or Jersey.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
09-09-2016, 12:01 AM
  #121
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 29,554
vCash: 500
Kasdorf treatment

jBuds is online now  
Old
09-09-2016, 07:02 AM
  #122
kummelweck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 16,686
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Buffalo gonna Buffalo. Someone tweeted at Bakes today that he was concerned Fitzgerald would do well at BC, refuse to sign, go UFA and sign with Boston or Jersey.
So, I actually don't fall into a category where I worry about him signing or not signing and going to UFA, but I think the likelihood of non-first rounders that rise to elite level in the NCAA taking this option has increased.

With that said, for every guy you lose like that, there are 5 guys like Nelson and Rodriguez that are late bloomers and can plug into a lineup. There also seems to be lots of goalies that can be had when you need one.

Additionally, the sabres were in on Vesey - so the more guys that do this, the merrier.

kummelweck is offline  
Old
09-09-2016, 09:08 AM
  #123
Reddawg
Registered User
 
Reddawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kummelweck View Post
With that said, for every guy you lose like that, there are 5 guys like Nelson and Rodriguez that are late bloomers and can plug into a lineup. There also seems to be lots of goalies that can be had when you need one.
Exactly. I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about a scenario that has happened something like five times, ever.

Reddawg is offline  
Old
10-08-2016, 04:23 PM
  #124
LaxSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,807
vCash: 1914

LaxSabre is online now  
Old
10-14-2016, 10:43 AM
  #125
LaxSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,807
vCash: 1914
@SabresProspects - Cal Petersen (Notre Dame) at Minnesota Duluth - Friday, October 14 - LIVE - 8:00 pm ET - Fox College Sports Pacific.
(Replays - Saturday, October 15 - 1:30 am ET - Fox College Sports Pacific - 3:00 pm ET - Fox College Sports Central.)


Last edited by LaxSabre: 10-14-2016 at 11:02 AM.
LaxSabre is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.