HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Part LXMIV - Cant stop. Wont stop.

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
If the Canucks are smart, they're already implementing a system that will allow Luongo to see the first shot and have defenders attacking rebounds. Luongo's leg speed, athletism and reflexes have diminished greatly. His positioning makes him solid on the first shot, but his diminished skill level makes him look foolish on rebounds. We're not going to see a dominant season because it likely isn't in him. Hopefully if the Canucks install the right system he can play well enough to give us a chance. Canucks will constantly need to be grooming young goalies from now on behind Luongo.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:19 AM
tantalum

Woe is Roberto Luongo! Being asked to honor his contract and make his $6.7 mil this year!

Sleeze? Give me a break.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:21 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Woe is Roberto Luongo! Being asked to honor his contract and make his $6.7 mil this year!

Sleeze? Give me a break.
Glad I wasn't the only one to share this sentiment.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
2 2nds was the asking price. Toronto wanted big salary/cap retention with that.
Once again, speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post

Sleeze? Give me a break.

Yep, its just that simple.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:35 AM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
You have no clue what they did, or didn't do, to move Luongo.
That goes for everyone else as well on this board. Including you.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:38 AM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
If the Canucks are smart, they're already implementing a system that will allow Luongo to see the first shot and have defenders attacking rebounds. Luongo's leg speed, athletism and reflexes have diminished greatly. His positioning makes him solid on the first shot, but his diminished skill level makes him look foolish on rebounds. We're not going to see a dominant season because it likely isn't in him. Hopefully if the Canucks install the right system he can play well enough to give us a chance. Canucks will constantly need to be grooming young goalies from now on behind Luongo.
Woah, I never realized luongo was destined for the old age home now that everything has diminished so greatly. My god has he dropped so far in some of your estimates.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
GrogZilla

Quote:
What did Lu do? AV and Gillis chose Schneider and pretty much had Luongo out the door for over a year, because he was willing to do what Gillis wanted he's now complicit?
We don't know that Gillis chose Cory over Luongo.
As far as I can see, Luongo initiated this whole thing.
AV sat him for a couple of playoff games & either Luo's ego couldn't handle sitting, or he took the opportunity to try & make his wife happy. Either way Luongo was the 1st one to talk about moving on.
Luongo had a long term contract with a NTC & a GM who had always claimed he'd never ask anyone to waive a NTC.
All Luo had to do was keep his mouth shut or say he loved being a Canuck & thought he could help the team win a cup.
None of this goalie controversy would of ever happened if Luo hadn't started talking about moving on.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
KillerWhale

Schneider has implied he knew he could've been traded all along. You'd think Luongo would've realized this as a possibility as well since he is the focal point of this whole situation. All this talk of "sleazy" from the keyboard warriors here is laughable.

Luongo has a massive ego (as does Gillis) which I say in a good way. It's likely played a huge role in him becoming one the top goaltenders in recent years. I'm sure that when he demanded a trade last year he thought teams would be lining up for him. I would guess a big part of him being "shocked" right now is the fact he's finally realized he's become an asset with negative value.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:45 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
I thought he was pretty damn good in the playoffs vs the Kings and the Sharks. As long as he doesn't slip too much or get injured, he is still good enough to get the job done. We just need the rest of the team to show up.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
AV sat him for a couple of playoff games & either Luo's ego couldn't handle sitting, or he took the opportunity to try & make his wife happy. Either way Luongo was the 1st one to talk about moving on.
Luongo had a long term contract with a NTC & a GM who had always claimed he'd never ask anyone to waive a NTC.
All Luo had to do was keep his mouth shut or say he loved being a Canuck & thought he could help the team win a cup.
None of this goalie controversy would of ever happened if Luo hadn't started talking about moving on.
Why would Luongo ask for a trade if he felt like he was still the #1 guy? As I recall, Luongo never demanded or even asked for a trade publicly, he merely stated he would do whatever was asked of him by the team.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
Schneider has implied he knew he could've been traded all along. You'd think Luongo would've realized this as a possibility as well since he is the focal point of this whole situation. All this talk of "sleazy" from the keyboard warriors here is laughable.

Luongo has a massive ego (as does Gillis) which I say in a good way. It's likely played a huge role in him becoming one the top goaltenders in recent years. I'm sure that when he demanded a trade last year he thought teams would be lining up for him. I would guess a big part of him being "shocked" right now is the fact he's finally realized he's become an asset with negative value.
I suppose you have evidence of this "demand"? yeah, didn't think so.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:50 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
Nope, don't buy it. Starting Schneider in Game 3,4,5 against the Kings was AV and MG's subtle way of telling Lu that they don't want him on the team anymore. Lu was all class and appreciates just how good Schneider is and wanted to do what was best for the team. Near the end of 11/12, AV and co. obviously wanted Schneider to be the starter in the playoffs and Lu realized that. I also think those few playoffs games against the Kings were Schneider's test to see how he would do under playoff pressure and he thrived. AV/MG were giving signs that they wanted Cory as the starter and Luongo didn't want to be in a place where he is not wanted anymore. He was trying to make it easier for the team to not make a big deal about it. FFS, the guy has an nmc/ntc whatever you want to call it, he could have told MG/AV to go to hell and trade Cory, but he didn't do that. Lu takes so much ******** from the media and people still find ways to twist what he does and make him look like a bad guy.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:58 AM
KillerWhale

Quote:
Demand was the wrong way to put it. We have no idea what was said between Canucks management and the Luongo camp over the last year, but then if Luongo never demanded a trade and we don't know all the details, how can this be considered sleazy?

Old
07-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Demand was the wrong way to put it. We have no idea what was said between Canucks management and the Luongo camp over the last year, but then if Luongo never demanded a trade and we don't know all the details, how can this be considered sleazy?
Sleazy is telling the guy he's going to be traded for over a year (I remember hearing Gillis say "No" flatly to the media when asked if Luongo will be on the team after the draft), then up and trade Schneider without even letting Luongo know that this is a possibility.

If Canucks management feels they did nothing wrong here, why did they send out Aquilini, Tortorella and Gillis to try and placate him and bring him back into the fold?

Old
07-04-2013, 10:20 AM
KillerWhale

Quote:
Sleazy is telling the guy he's going to be traded for over a year (I remember hearing Gillis say "No" flatly to the media when asked if Luongo will be on the team after the draft), then up and trade Schneider without even letting Luongo know that this is a possibility.

If Canucks management feels they did nothing wrong here, why did they send out Aquilini, Tortorella and Gillis to try and placate him and bring him back into the fold?
Canucks management brought Luongo off the ice in the last hour before the trade deadline. Surely Luongo realized that what was offered wasn't good enough for Gillis to approve. How do we know Gillis didn't say to him that Schneider may be moved instead if the offers don't improve by the draft?

Surely the conversations between Gillis and Luongo are a lot more personal and candid than what we hear through the media, so I'm not sure why you're trying to spin Gillis saying "No" to the media off as gospel.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Woah, I never realized luongo was destined for the old age home now that everything has diminished so greatly. My god has he dropped so far in some of your estimates.
He's coming off what amounts to his worst statistical season since 1999 (short season/sample size noted), while Schneider continued to put up high end numbers behind the same team (two goalies in the same boat with much different results is my point). Why? Because Luongo is 34 with a lot of miles on him and doesn't move like he used to. His positioning will keep him useful in the right system, but if the Canucks play the same style they did last year, he'll be exposed.

I'm not hating on Luongo, this is an observation we've all seen. When it comes to standing up strong in the net on rebounds and leg speed, Luongo is not compareable to the game's better goalies. And if the Canucks don't take steps to protect him, there's going to be problems. One belly flop, one melt-down, one miss-played puck or looking silly on a rebound and fans will be all over him. Sucks to have your top goalie in this position and in need of protection, but that's where we are.

Need to protect him, cover up his shortcomings and try to get his confidence up and the city behind him. If that doesn't happen, things are about to get really ugly.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Canucks management brought Luongo off the ice in the last hour before the trade deadline. Surely Luongo realized that what was offered wasn't good enough for Gillis to approve. How do we know Gillis didn't say to him that Schneider may be moved instead if the offers don't improve by the draft?

Surely the conversations between Gillis and Luongo are a lot more personal and candid than what we hear through the media, so I'm not sure why you're trying to spin Gillis saying "No" to the media off as gospel.
How do we know Gillis hasn't made multiple promises to Luongo that he'd be moved? If we're going to just speculate, I can do it too.

I'm not trying to spin anything as "gospel", there has been enough evidence that Luongo was the guy who was suppose to be traded for over a year, I don't need just one media snippet, it just happens to be more ammunition to make a case that this was a ****** move...it was the right move, but it was a ****** move.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Reign Nateo

All of this "poor Luongo" crap needs to end as well. He didn't get his starting job taken from him, he lost it. If he was an NFL QB he'd be selling cars in Florida right now. This is pro sports, you perform or you go home. Lucky for Luongo with the NHL rules, we couldn't send him home. He's getting a second chance. Maybe a 3rd chance depending on how you look at it.

This is about the Vancouver Canucks, not Roberto Luongo.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:30 AM
KillerWhale

Quote:
If we're going to just speculate, I can do it too.
Of course, this message board is all about speculation. My point is that you calling this sleazy is clearly speculation as well.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Of course, this message board is all about speculation. My point is that you calling this sleazy is clearly speculation as well.
Sure, but I believe there is enough evidence to safely make that statement, otherwise I wouldn't have.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 AM
gobi

Quote:
All of this "poor Luongo" crap needs to end as well. He didn't get his starting job taken from him, he lost it. If he was an NFL QB he'd be selling cars in Florida right now. This is pro sports, you perform or you go home. Lucky for Luongo with the NHL rules, we couldn't send him home. He's getting a second chance. Maybe a 3rd chance depending on how you look at it.

This is about the Vancouver Canucks, not Roberto Luongo.
I have tended to avoid debate on Luongo because I thought he was going to leave; making the argument a moot point. But now that he's staying, here's my two cents. I totally agree with the above post. If Luongo had won a cup or didn't get blown out the way he did in 09, 10, or 11, I'd say it's very probable that he'd be traded by now. Yes, his contract played a large part in him not getting traded but I also think some of the shine has came off after those playoff series.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
This again? When a guy goes on local radio to tell the fans "It's time to move on", he's asking for a trade.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:15 AM
thenextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This again? When a guy goes on local radio to tell the fans "It's time to move on", he's asking for a trade.
Lu deserves as much if not more blame for this mess than anyone. He should have kept his mouth shut to the press and quietly worked with Gillis on a trade in the background. Granted it would have come out eventually, but he doesnt need to be giving press conferences with tears streaming down his cheeks every 6 months. Every GM in the league knew our predicament, and no one was willing to give up anything for a goalie who would have to be cut from the roster anyway.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:17 AM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Lu deserves as much if not more blame for this mess than anyone. He should have kept his mouth shut to the press and quietly worked with Gillis on a trade in the background. Granted it would have come out eventually, but he doesnt need to be giving press conferences with tears streaming down his cheeks every 6 months. Every GM in the league knew our predicament, and no one was willing to give up anything for a goalie who would have to be cut from the roster anyway.
Oh come on. Any GM with an iota of brains (aka 28 of the other 29 in the league) knew what was coming no matter what Lu said. I'm not saying he's blameless, but saying he torpedoed his own value is ********. You think he enjoys giving those press conferences?

Old
07-04-2013, 11:25 AM
theripper

heres also too some speculation

AV was trying to sell Schneider to management by putting him in the L.A series,and playing him more last year. Against the sharks,when AV put Schneider in,and took Luongo out who was playing brilliantly,he totally got destroyed and embarrassed. Gillis fired AV and got rid of his golden boy Schneider because the whole thing was a sham.

Closed Thread