HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Immediate reaction: Grade Darcy's 2013 Draft Day

View Poll Results: Grade:
A 25 13.51%
A- 38 20.54%
B+ 53 28.65%
B 29 15.68%
B- 11 5.95%
C+ 10 5.41%
C 8 4.32%
C- 5 2.70%
D 5 2.70%
F 1 0.54%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Better Call Saul

vCash: 500
Risto and Zado = great. Other picks = fine.

I still hate the Sekera trade with a passion.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:35 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

i am a little surprised to see the immense love the general hockey fan public has lauded upon the sabres in the below thread. and i mean immense.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1458559

billsandsabres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:35 PM
ttcminaker

As an immediate snapshot, I went with an A-. Only time will tell how it plays out but I like the amount of prospects we brought in.

Adding Rasmus and Zadarov was a huge statement. I think Rasmus is really undervalued by some as he can do it all with some snarl. Playing his 17 and 18 years in the Finnish Elite league is tremendous and he looks to be a top pairing impact dman.

Zadarov is a total beast and a dman we haven't had in the system in forever. Even if he doesn't blossom, he is still a solid, physical dman. If he does blossom, he may have Chara impact down the line.

I circled Compher's name the second Pegula said he wanted hard working, character players on this team. He is a good player, how he develops compared to Zykov and Fucale will always be up for debate but he is a leader and will fit in well with the Girgs and Larssons down the road.

Hurley is a real wildcard but has big potential if he reaches it.

Loved the Bailey pick. Not just because he is from Buffalo but he has homerun potential and when a guy like LAfontaine raves about him then I'm sold.

I really, really like the Baptiste pick. He was fantastic for Canada at the Under 18 tournament and looks like a blazer who can finish.

The Swedish kid and Florentino sound intriging and by this point in the draft you are just looking for sleepers to develop 4-5 years down the road for you.

If you add the past two drafts together, the Sabres have a ton of young talent. They need to cultivate it now.

If Miller and Vanek go then I see young offensive talent and picks coming back.

Very happy with this draft as an intial reaction.

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I grade Darcy's draft day:

Serious Moonlight.

Why is that option not available?

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
I still hate the Sekera trade with a passion.
The things we gotta do to put ourselves in a position to draft McDavid...

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres View Post
i am a little surprised to see the immense love the general hockey fan public has lauded upon the sabres in the below thread. and i mean immense.

The doom and gloom around Sabre country is unbelievable .

The fact that we walked away with Risto, Zadorov, Compher, Bailey and Baptiste (saying nothing of Hurley who was not on my radar) is a great haul. I'm not sure what many Sabre fans expected but the pipeline is looking really good from my point of view.
We were one of the winners. Give some credit to where credit is due... even if today, that was Darcy and crew.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:45 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug View Post
The doom and gloom is unbelievable .

The fact that we walked away with Risto, Zadorov, Compher, Bailey and Baptiste (saying nothing of Hurley who was not on my radar) is a great haul. I'm not sure what many Sabre fans expected but the pipeline is looking really good from my point of view.
We were one of the winners. Give some credit to where credit is due... even if today, that was Darcy and crew.
The doom and gloom is ridiculous. Darcy got an absolute HAUL today.

Can't wait for the HF summer prospect rankings.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:47 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Almost every person on the Main Board is saying Buffalo had the best draft...... My grade was a D

dma0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:50 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
D, any GM could have done what he did....He should have swung Miller.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM

I'll let you know after prospect camp. Haven't seen a couple guys pay at all. And haven't seen Ristolainen play live before.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:57 PM
littletonhockeycoach

I'm going with a B. Superior, above average but not excellent/outstanding. If one of the 1st rounders skates for the Sabres this year and has a better season than Grigs, then I'll regrade (and also be ecstatic).

But I don't think that's gonna happen.

The pipeline's definitely been refilled with some great prospects. But then we're always saying that about the Sabres. Lots of potential and prospects in the system.....

Maybe Rolston will be the difference maker.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Jacob582

Darcy is awful. Fire him now! Over half these players will never win a Stanley Cup with the Sabres!

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
I'm going with a B. Superior, above average but not excellent/outstanding. If one of the 1st rounders skates for the Sabres this year and has a better season than Grigs, then I'll regrade (and also be ecstatic).

But I don't think that's gonna happen.

The pipeline's definitely been refilled with some great prospects. But then we're always saying that about the Sabres. Lots of potential and prospects in the system.....

Maybe Rolston will be the difference maker.
Neither of your firsts should play this year.

With that said, I know fans don't want to toot their own horn and freak out, so some try to be modest, but this is a very good draft imo.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:00 PM
goach

A- we will have to wait though. Love the first rounders!!

goach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Phineas Phage

Every move he made today sure made sense to me. VERY happy about Risto...Zadarov fell big time to that spot...I'm skeptical yet cautiously optimistic about the Compher pick. Was hoping for a bigger splash than the Sekera trade, even though I did like it. Could've been bolder. Final grade: A-

Phineas Phage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:03 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

B+

Zadorov, Risto, Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste...

Wow. The pipeline is looking mighty fine, I'm just really bummed out about trading Reggie and not moving to 5 when we traded with Carolina later in the draft.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

http://sabres.nhl.com/

Darcy's interview. Listen to him when he's asked about 5+McBain for 8+Sekera. Buffalo News / WGR are going to have a field day on that reaction.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:06 PM
sjci

vCash: 313
I want to say B+, just because of the Sekera trade (potential move up to 5 fumble). But we definitely got a lot of solid players

8) Risto - For the pick at 8, I think it was BPA and Risto fit that. He's a solid player, but if the reports are true (and they look like it), I would've been much happier with the Sekera trade happening here and getting one of Lindholm/Monahan, but I guess we'll just have to see how this pans out. (B)(7.5B)

16) Zadorov - I don't think the Sabres anticipated him falling to here, so they were more than happy to select him. Definitely fills the need of a big, strong defensive minded D-man. Solid pick (A)(7.5B)

35) Compher - Another solid pick. American version of Bo Horvat, I feel. Speed, drive, character, everything we were looking for. Top end #2C potential(7.0B)

38) Hurley - Dark horse here. Would've loved to see Zykov here but since he was picked one spot ahead at 37, Hurley is a good consolation. Has 1st Round potential. Youngest player in the draft, and he's definitely got some growing to do. Probably 3 years out, then 1-2 years in the AHL, but there's a high chance we'll be lauding this pick in the years to come. (A)(7.0C)

52) Bailey - Good value for where he was taken. Has all the tools you could want, just needs to put it all togther. Being local is a nice touch as well, but Bailey has earned the praise. (A)(7.0C)

69) Baptiste - (A)(6.5B)

129) Peterson (B)(6.5C)

130) Possler (B)(6.5D)

143) Florentino (B)(6.5D)

159) Malone (B)(6.0B)

189) Locke (C)(6.0C) Would've liked for them to take Tyler Hill or Alex Forsberg here rather than the overager

A solid draft and definitely refilled the pool.

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Neither of your firsts should play this year.

With that said, I know fans don't want to toot their own horn and freak out, so some try to be modest, but this is a very good draft imo.
Thanks. I think that's what I said...... don't expect either 1st rounders to be with the team this year.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sabreality

rock solid B+ in my book. Risto & Zads are amazing compliments to go with Pysyk, McCabe & Myers (if he gets his act together).

big fan of Compher, no problem investing in Hurley, youngest player in the draft, plenty of time for him to develop. love the upside of both Bailey & Baptiste. even some of the later picks are interesting (Florentino, Prosser)

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Grinder44

Grabbing both Ristolainen and Zadorov in the first gives the Sabres two huge, strong-skating, high-ceiling, mean as they come, D-men to add to an already promising prospect pool at the position. I'd think these two move right to the top of the organizational list.

Second round: Solid. Added three promising forwards to the pipeline. Especially like Compher and Bailey. Really high on Baptiste and his toughness along the walls. I think he could be the sleeper. Guys in the later rounds bring differing attributes to the organization, so hopefully one or two of them pan out.

Sorry to see Sekera go, but if Ristolainen, Zadorov or McNabb make the NHL club next season and start bringing the mean to the Sabres defense for a change, it'll have been worth it.

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Jeremy2020

B+ as I like the direction of players who have skill and size along with the desire to actually use it.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

B+

There were very few off the board picks and they stuck with the consensus rankings. Glad to see no Dennis Persson type picks real early.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The guys Darcy picked are all excellent choices. He gets an A for player selection. My only qualm was that I still would've liked Santini in the 2nd round, but not going to get too upset over that given the two guys in the first.

The Sekera trade...it makes sense if you don't think he'll be around anyways at the end of the rebuild. I guess I would've liked to get more for him if he was going to be moved. Still sucks given what a steady presence he was on the blue line...was hoping they would hold on to him for the long run. McBain though...we'll see if Rolston can work some magic with him. Or Darcy simply is trying to put together a McDefense with McNabb, McCabe, and McBain.

Miller/Vanek not being moved is irrelevant. Still lots of time for Regier to swing a trade, and with the FA market crazy with the compliance buyouts, I expect the trade market to heat up after the dust settles from FA Frenzy.

Really, it boils down to this: A for the draft selections, but the "other" moves bring him down today.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:24 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres View Post

And yet, the whining of the "not good" enough crowd knows better than everyone.

Darcy gets an A.

He didn't get embarrassed by another GM. He made nice solid picks. Some will demand more than this and therefore always be disappointed year after year. Nothing is good enough, ever. I tend to ignore those.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote