HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Immediate reaction: Grade Darcy's 2013 Draft Day

View Poll Results: Grade:
A 25 13.51%
A- 38 20.54%
B+ 53 28.65%
B 29 15.68%
B- 11 5.95%
C+ 10 5.41%
C 8 4.32%
C- 5 2.70%
D 5 2.70%
F 1 0.54%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Jeremy2020

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
McBain though...we'll see if Rolston can work some magic with him. Or Darcy simply is trying to put together a McDefense with McNabb, McCabe, and McBain.
Grigs and Girgs. The Mcs...I think you have uncovered the drafting strategy.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
B+
That takes into account the draft picks there were. If I'm just comparing it to a standard draft class then I'd immediately bump it up to A- on the strength of 5 picks in the first two rounds. I think this draft has the potential for me to consider it an A or A- in first year re-evaluations.

Darcy continues to identify key traits to winning NHL hockey in this decade: players with some strong combination of size, physicality, two-way ability, and speed.

Last year after acquiring Hodgson months before the draft he further addressed the center position with Girgensons, Grigorenko, and Kia, then brought in Larsson before the next draft came around. That was the most pressing issue in the organization at the time.

This year he acquires two big, physical defensemen who have a shot at being cornerstones of a defense that boasts a good number of top 4 prospects but was our bane at the NHL level this past year.

All the while he continues adding players who make us hard to play against. Baptiste, Bailey, Florentino, Compher are guys with size + speed and/or are edgy and competitive. Bailey has natural goal scoring ability which is sorely lacking in our system. He addressed the winger position which was a must.

Really the only downside is we didn't get one of the top 4 elite franchise guys, which wasn't going to happen, and there was the whole trading up to 5 thing which is confusing as to exactly what it was all about and something I'm not sure how I feel about.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:28 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
The consensus on the main board seems to be that we are the big winners.

I mini-scouted about 60 players that I felt were worthy of attention. And the Sabres got 6 of them, including two of my top 10.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Really the only downside is we didn't get one of the top 4 elite franchise guys, which wasn't going to happen, and there was the whole trading up to 5 thing which is confusing as to exactly what it was all about and something I'm not sure how I feel about.
2014/2015 Baby.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres View Post
i am a little surprised to see the immense love the general hockey fan public has lauded upon the sabres in the below thread. and i mean immense.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1458559
I'm not. Our defensive prospect pool is arguably tops now, not to mention Myers is still a kid. Picks like Baptiste and Bailey have the look of possible strong return and help our crappy systemic winger depth. Throwing a goalie into the stable and if you look at our prospect depth chart, positions are all looking pretty good. Lacking in specific things and some more elite talent, but we will shoot up a lot in the next HF organizational rankings.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
boots electric

I'd have a hard time giving any draft an A seeing as we won't know how it plays out for a few years, but I really really really liked our first 2 rounds.

Defense) Most of my concerns regarding the future of the Sabres blueline went bye-bye today with the selections of Risto and Zadorov.

Ehrhoff, Myers, Weber, Ruhwedel, Pysyk, McNabb, McCabe, Zadorov, AND Risto? Somebody pinch me, please. And that says nothing of Jamie McBain, who I'm probably more optimistic about than most. He's a worthwhile reclamation project, and I'm excited to see if he develops any more now that he's back under Rolston's tutelage.

There's some very real trade possibilities as well. Ehrhoff will most-likely be the token vet in a few years when it's time to make a push, but I think they'll have to make room for at least one other vet D to be acquired via trade or UFA somewhere down the line.

Offense) Compher and Bailey were good picks, and it offered them the chance to gamble a bit with Hurley. He wasn't a name I heard discussed at all, but the scouting reports are promising. I've seen a couple Krejci comparisons...very excited to see how he pans out.

Organization) A few years back, the organization was very good at the NHL level, but everything below that was in shambles. The Sabres have now gone three seasons without any rookies stepping up and sticking on the big club--a streak which looks like it might finally come to an end this coming season with Flynn and Pysyk looking to make the jump. The future looked very bleak for a good period of time.

However, that's all changing now. The NHL product is suffering, but the organization as a whole hasn't been this strong in years. It's going to take awhile to see dividends, but the foundation is strong and getting stronger.

Very pleased with the direction the team is taking. Very, very pleased

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:50 PM
SoFFacet

1. Selects Rasmus Ristolainen #8. Top alternative choices: Horvat, Nichushkin. Right choice? I think so. To me this is a perfect intersection of BPA and need. Our current and future D corps looked thin and soft. I personally believe Risto will become much better than the bland "top 4 D" that many project.

2. Selects Nikita Zadarov #16. Top alternative choices: Lazar, Shinkaruk. Right choice? I think so. To me Zadarov is clearly BPA here, and there is nothing so great about our current or future D corps that would make me hesitate to address that need twice in the 1st round.

3. Trades Sekera for McBain, #35. Top alternative choices: Keep Sekera, trade for #5 instead (using #8). Right choice? Debatable. Sekera is an excellent defenseman. Not elite, or flashy, or overly physical, but a solid piece that any team would want, especially on his current contract. How good would he be, and on what contract, by the the rest of the team is ready to compete? Unknown. Without him the 2014 tank will be more effective on average. #35 is a quality piece that will probably contribute to our rebuilt team. The main question lies in whether or not it would have been better to trade for #5. Basically, is Risto and Computer better than Lindholm or Monahan? I think so, but I know that many people disagree.

4. Selects JT Computer #35. Top alternative choices: Zykov, Fucale. Right choice? Debatable. Computer was solidly projected late first, so this is technically a bargain. It is only the fact that Zykov and Fucale went 36 and 37, preventing us from selecting either at 38, that makes me ponder some regret. Should we have picked one of them instead? Would Computer have made it to 38? Difficult to say.

5. Selects Connor Hurley #38. Top alternative choices: Dauphin, Santini, Petan, Nastychuk. Right choice? Very debatable. There were many different players that many different people in IRC wanted here, and Hurley was not on anyone's list. However, he was only projected to go a little bit lower than this. Due to his extremly young age (youngest eligible draftee this year) I'm conceptualizing this as a trade for a 2014 draft pick. Time will tell if we effectively just traded #38 2013 for a 2014 1st or something considerably less valuable.

6. Selects Justin Bailey #52. Top alternative choices: Carrier, Lehkonen, Bowey. Right choice? Debatable. Many in IRC, including myself, were rooting for Carrier. The scouts obviously preferred Bailey. I hope it wasn't just for the hometown thing. Bailey was my second choice and he has a good chance to succeed imo, so I'm okay with it.

7. Selects Nicholas Baptiste #69. Top alternative choices: Hurley, Buchnevich, Duclair. Right choice? I think so. Its mostly in the eye of the beholder by round 3, but I viewed him as the clear BPA. Most of IRC seemed to agree.

8. No comment on picks in rounds 4-7, everything that late is in the eye of the beholder.

Overall, I would give it a B+. I thought the 1st round picks were correct, I thought the trade was positive, and while I can see the criticism for the 2nd round picks I can also see the rationale for them.

Last edited by SoFFacet: 06-30-2013 at 10:57 PM.
SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:15 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Personally, I mini-scouted and ranked about 50 players. Buffalo got 6 of them, including two of my top 10 (I had Risto 7 and Zadorov 10). Nobody else had close to 6 of my top 50 (Montrael w/4, but none I had ranked as 1st rounders) and only 1 other team had 2 of my top 15 (Vancouver had 11&13, but gave up a starting goalie to do it).

It appears to have gone well from the eyes of this amateur.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

You guys might want to take under consideration what Darcy and Devine have to say about various things touched upon in this thread:

Darcy: http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Devine: http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Old
06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

This prospect pool is now stacked...

And they still have 3 2nd rounders to play with next year in addition to their first and whatever happens with Vanek/Miller/Stafford/etc.

If Regier/Devine pull off another draft next year like these last two, there might not be another rebuild for a looooong time after this one.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:44 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Risto's development compared to Lindholm/Monahan is the new Briere/Drury. I guess they had a 1-4/5-10 pool instead of the 1-4/5-7/8-10.

I wanted Stantini, badly, even after hitting twice on defense.

I said they'd have to trade Vanek/Miller and a body off the top 3 for virtually no NHL help in order to compete for #1 overall. They did the one that nobody saw coming, so any questions I had about the direction of the team are gone. So much for the Oshie/Filppula/Gordon/Scuderi plan...

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I'm not going to give a grade for his whole draft, because I'm not nearly informed enough nor do I think immediate post-draft grades really do anything, but my thoughts on some of the moves:

- I think it's fair to say this was one of the worst case scenarios at 8. No one fell very far and no one reached on a player, it basically went by the rankings. But, Ristolainen is a great pick. Really doesn't have any holes in his game - he's big, a good skater, good shot, plays physical, hockey IQ, and was a big part as a 17/18 year old on a mens team. Fair to say his upside is limited, but his floor is so high. Appears ready to make the jump to the NHL fairly soon. I can understand why he seems a bit underwhelming with the 8th pick, but I think once development camp passes the mood will change. Loved this pick.

- This is where having multiple first round picks is such an advantage. Darcy opted with the safer choice at 8 and that allowed him to swing for the fences at 16, after three teams who didn't have multiple picks passed on Zadorov for three (IMO, I would've said this whether or not Zads was a Sabre or not) inferior prospects, but slightly safer picks. Zadorov has massive upside with his size, skating and willingness to play physically. He's very, very raw, though, so I'd like to see him at the absolute minimum with another year in London as well as a year in Rochester. Big fan of this pick too.

- Posted about Reggie already, not too sure about this. Compher is a quality prospect, and I think had the Sabres traded for the 30th pick instead of the 35th the reaction would be different to 'adding another first rounder' when Compher basically is. I'll judge McBain once he's played some games for Buffalo. Too early to tell.

- Regarding the other Carolina swap that was reportedly on the table, I liked Monahan and Lindholm both enough to do it, but Risto + Compher is still really good. Would've been good with it either way.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:50 PM
cybresabre
Crabby Seer

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
It sucks that the video cuts out abruptly. Devine sounded thrilled that Zadorov fell, and mentioned that a few guys had him ranked above Ristolainen.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
This prospect pool is now stacked...

And they still have 3 2nd rounders to play with next year in addition to their first and whatever happens with Vanek/Miller/Stafford/etc.

If Regier/Devine pull off another draft next year like these last two, there might not be another rebuild for a looooong time after this one.
I expect a deal of Stafford would return a 1st or a player who was a 1st. a bare minimum something similar to the Gaustead deal where it was Gaustead + 4th for a 1st.

Vanek would return a 1st for certain unless they are getting a top notch prospect then it falls to a 2nd. Then buffalo with that and 3 other 2nds could turn those picks into a 1st.

I think Darcy would be looking to get a 1st for Miller.

With drafting these 2 Dmen it puts Ehrhoff on the market who could be moved for a 1st.

If they were to move Ott...he would return a 1st as well.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
It sucks that the video cuts out abruptly. Devine sounded thrilled that Zadorov fell, and mentioned that a few guys had him ranked above Ristolainen.
I bet TBN or WGR will have the full audio

Old
07-01-2013, 12:09 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Does it unnecessarily bother anyone that Regier admitted that taking NCAA players was somewhat of a mandate in order to offset potential logjams of re-signings at the same time?

Yeah, he mentioned extended development for the NCAA guys, but shouldn't you maintain a draft board under the premise of ranking the best players and how they perform on the ice, not where they play?

I'm pretty fair with Regier, but if you think the best guys to select are all from the WHL, you take them...you don't forcefeed yourself guys from College.

Nitpicking, sorry. I never whine or ***** about Regier, but this one tweaked me a bit.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:37 AM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

I'm a huge fan of Zadorov. He will be a great player for you guys.

You guys filled the cupboards with great young players in one draft. I'd be very excited to be a Sabres fan right now.

Good luck

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Wisent42

Ok, here's some thoughts:

I was surprised and a bit pissed that we picked Ristolainen because I was really looking forward to having one of Monahan, Lindholm and Nichushkin fall to us, and hoping for Nichushkin. So when he did, I got upset. But Ristolainen is going to be good, and it's not his fault that he's not the player I wanted more. It's a good pick, as are any in the top 15 or so in this draft. Can't miss.

Nikita Zadorov excites me more though. I was hoping for Pullock at #16 but he was gone, and the more I read about Zadorov the more I like him.

JT Computer is another exciting pick. I hate giving up Sekera, but fact is that the defence is becoming a bit of a logjam if the prospects pan out, and you gotta give to get. Value-wise it was a good trade, and an exciting pick at that. And McBain is a descent player from what I understand so the hole left by Sekera is atleast partially covered.

Connor Hurley confused me. I hadn't seen his name thrown around before. But given how young he is and that they chose to pick him in the second round makes me believe that someone in the scouting staff has seen something in this kid. One can hope.

And then Bailey. Always nice for the fanbase to get a local kid. I don't know much about him, but if it makes people forget about wanting to lynch Darcy for a while, it's a smart move on his part.

I don't have any opinion on the later picks but as for the first two rounds, I think we did good. Still would have picked Nichushkin at #8...

And on a sidenote: We're really giving it to Dallas for "no goal" now, aren't we? First we trade them Roy for Ott, and now we give them Lindy so he can bust their big shot Russian prospect. Evil!

Wisent42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I loved the RR/Zadorov/Possler/Baptiste picks.

At the same time, I hate the Sekera trade, not only because they gave up the best player in the deal for a regressing, healthy-scratch McBain and Compher who I'm not that high on... But also because this is slowly turning into a Oilers/Pens mode, where the GM screws up so bad his only option is to tank and tank for years and get rewarded for it by the silly system which rewards the worst teams with the best young players.

I despise the way the Oilers/Pens were built, even the Caps to a point.
And I fully respect Detroit, which is the franchise I'd want to copy in regards to player development, treating their own players like people, etc.

Anyway... Picks were great, hated the trade.
C+, especially cos it appears we could've had Lindholm and passed on it.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I loved the RR/Zadorov/Possler/Baptiste picks.

At the same time, I hate the Sekera trade, not only because they gave up the best player in the deal for a regressing, healthy-scratch McBain and Compher who I'm not that high on... But also because this is slowly turning into a Oilers/Pens mode, where the GM screws up so bad his only option is to tank and tank for years and get rewarded for it by the silly system which rewards the worst teams with the best young players.

I despise the way the Oilers/Pens were built, even the Caps to a point.
And I fully respect Detroit, which is the franchise I'd want to copy in regards to player development, treating their own players like people, etc.

Anyway... Picks were great, hated the trade.
C+, especially cos it appears we could've had Lindholm and passed on it.
I agree on the despise and the respect. I don't want a tanking team. It's cheating.

Wisent42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Does it unnecessarily bother anyone that Regier admitted that taking NCAA players was somewhat of a mandate in order to offset potential logjams of re-signings at the same time?

Yeah, he mentioned extended development for the NCAA guys, but shouldn't you maintain a draft board under the premise of ranking the best players and how they perform on the ice, not where they play?

I'm pretty fair with Regier, but if you think the best guys to select are all from the WHL, you take them...you don't forcefeed yourself guys from College.

Nitpicking, sorry. I never whine or ***** about Regier, but this one tweaked me a bit.
There actually is some merit to this. Buffalo had 6 picks in the top 70 if they werent going to college ---thus delaying their signing deadline---it may be difficult to sign them all.

Any extra years helps to evaluate how they play and decide if to offer them a contract or not.

Based on when they were drafted it was not likely they were reaching for players and picking them when they did.

If they go to college and perform well the players no they can become a UFA without signing with the team that holds their rights after 30 days from when they declare.

The part I am a little surprised with is that they didnt draft actual college players like McCabe last year who already put a yr in at wisconsin. the players they drafted are committed to colleges.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:08 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

B+ wanted Lindholm pretty bad. Don't really see him excelling in Carolina with so many skilled forwards. I had Risto and Zad ranked in top 11 so pretty stoked about getting them. Wasn't really thrilled with the Sekera trade. =/

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:32 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

I'm actually one of the few Darcy fans remaining and I am quite upset to hear this as well. BPA went out the door over fear of the contract logjam and the need to have 3 RHD and 3 LHD. I am appalled.

This smells of the old Darcy. The Darcy under Golisano. Not willing to take risks, wanting lots of time to make decisions and selecting two local guys. What happened to the need for high end talent? Not only does it sound like they could have moved up for Lindholm or Monahan, they also could have taken the risk on Nichushkin. I really like Risto, but it seems like they put too much value on the fact he is a RHD.

I don't give a **** where the players come from or how long it takes for them to get to the NHL. I only care that when they get to the NHL they are damn good.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
There actually is some merit to this. Buffalo had 6 picks in the top 70 if they werent going to college ---thus delaying their signing deadline---it may be difficult to sign them all.

Any extra years helps to evaluate how they play and decide if to offer them a contract or not.

Based on when they were drafted it was not likely they were reaching for players and picking them when they did.

If they go to college and perform well the players no they can become a UFA without signing with the team that holds their rights after 30 days from when they declare.

The part I am a little surprised with is that they didnt draft actual college players like McCabe last year who already put a yr in at wisconsin. the players they drafted are committed to colleges.
Ok so next draft we have to take all college kids again? And then the year after that? And then the year after that? Unless you do, its going to catch up to you eventually. The draft is about acquiring talent not managing your signing time table. I would hate to see them limit their options to only the best college bound kids instead of the best players around.

If you have too many people signed, make some trades. Make some moves. This isn't Hoarders on TLC. Its not about acquiring the most players, its about acquiring the best players.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:31 AM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
A-
Darcy didn't mortgage our future.
Vanek is still apart of this team.
Miller/Vanek were not traded for table scraps.
We drafted TWO top pairing defensemen who have a nasty streak and play physical.
We drafted Hurley, who in my opinion would be a first round pick next year, he is going to a College program who will teach him to play a solid defensive game and hold him accountable.
Drafted two hometown kids who can have an impact at the NHL level in the future.
We replenished our prospect pool.
Created a bit of cap space with the Sekera trade.
Agree solid draft IMO

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote