HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Immediate reaction: Grade Darcy's 2013 Draft Day

View Poll Results: Grade:
A 25 13.51%
A- 38 20.54%
B+ 53 28.65%
B 29 15.68%
B- 11 5.95%
C+ 10 5.41%
C 8 4.32%
C- 5 2.70%
D 5 2.70%
F 1 0.54%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
-McBain and Brennan are both offensive defensemen, Brennan has a booming shot and had equal points in half the amount of games. I realize it's not all about points, but if thats his supposed strength, it's fair to expect more.
If you are going to use small sample sizes, in Brennan's first season he played in 11 games and scored 1 point. In McBain's first season, he played in 14 games and scored 10 points. Neither of things matter because unlike Brennan, McBain's actually played full NHL seasons. Brennan has to prove he's capable of sticking in the NHL before he can worry about being said he's as good as McBain, yet you're calling McBain a worse version of TJ Brennan.

I'm not trying to pump up McBain because he's at best a third-pairing, puck-moving defenseman, which is consequently TJ Brennan's ceiling. The difference is McBain's played considerable minutes in the NHL already whereas Brennan's on his third team since he got his first real NHL stint mere months ago.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Gabrielor

vCash: 500
Slightly OT in this thread, but was this draft year different in any way with respect to prospect attendance? I can't remember in recent memory seeing so many 4th,5th,6th, and 7th rounders actually physically present at the draft, accepting jerseys and giving interviews. The last few years it's always the first and second round guys, but I don't recall anyone after that being there. They interviewed Kea (3rd-round, 2012) by phone after the pick, and the rest I don't remember being present.

Just me? the deepness of the draft? I was surprised to see Sabres' picks there past Baptiste in the 3rd. (Florentino,Malone,Peterson,etc.)

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Deevo

I have no complaints about this draft. As far as I'm concerned, Darcy did exactly what he needed to do. With the amount of skill in our division now and in the future - building this team from the back end is the logical route to success. The draft picks, as well as the Sekera deal set us up perfectly for "suffering" during the next 2 seasons where we'll acquire our elite offensive talent at the top of the draft. At least, in theory that's how this should work.

I like Darcys strategy - let's hope it pans out.

I give the draft an A.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:06 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

A-, most people are ranting about how boring the draft was. But as you can see by the past few teams winning the Stanley cup it takes size, speed and aggressiveness. Ristolainen and Zadorov are definitely two of the if not best defensemen for that outside of Nurse. I still believe that defense wins championships. You can look at Boston with Chara and Chicago with Seabrook and Keith. As for trading Sekera, I think it's totally fine. Sometimes you have to make changes for the long term success of the franchise. I loved the Compher and Bailey picks where they slotted out. Great job Darcy, now move Ryan Miller and Drew Stafford.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
You guys just got tougher to play against! You had a great draft!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
You guys just got tougher to play against! You had a great draft!
The Habs have also gotten a whole lot tougher with the new additions to the NHL roster last year (wish we had Gallagher!). It wasn't long ago when both of our teams were wholly dependent on smurfs, now we're catching up to the new new NHL.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy3PO View Post
I don't have any "beef" with the prospects. I give it a C mostly because of the dumb Sekera trade.
This is a grading of the draft, not a trade.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:20 AM
JPurp26

D. Rasmus Ristolainen - A

Risto is a top notch talent and at 8 was the best selection IMO, I would have liked to move up to 5 if that proposed trade from Carolina was legit 5 and McBain for Reg and 8 (even if we did have to throw in 38) (Hurley) That would have allowed us to grab Lindholm and Zadarov at 16. An elite forward and a top notch defenseman in Z (We have a new Z now!)

Nikita Zadarov - A
At 16 this was a great pick. I still prefer forwards in the first due to statistical success in past drafts.

JT Compher - B+
Great pick, tough competitor and the type who will win you championships

Connor Hurley - C+
Lots of guys still available at this point. Carrier, Santini, Petan, Dauphin and more. In 5 years Hurley could look great or a bad pick, way to early to tell but he gets picked earlier than most had him

Justin Bailey- B
Bailey is a good story and he has great tools. We will see how it works out. Lehkonen still available as is Carrier.

Nick Baptiste - B-
Should make it to the NHL at least as a bottom 6 grinder. He needs to improve defensive play and hit more for that but he does have an outside chance of becomming a Stafford style scorer who has size and strength and occasionally will hit. (Sabres still had not selected a pure scorer so Buchenvich, Slepyshev, Duclair were all available as were Kujawinski, Bjorkstrand and Lodge)

Cal Petersen - B +
I am a fan of going the NCAA route for goalies. No goalie after him was better and overall it was nice to add a goalie to the pool. They didn't reach early in the first 3 rounds so 5th and below is the best place to take goalies.

Gustav Possler - B+
Good pick, at this point its a crapshoot. Eric Roy was still available but taking a risk on a guy who could potentially become a top 6 guy is a fine pick by me this late

Florentino - A-
Great pick, Haven't seen him much but read a lot and they say he has all the tools and if he puts it together, the Sabres got a good pick. No one really after him that could be argued

Malone - A
Thought he would go in the 4-5 round range. His speed and offense is intriguing and he could turn into something which for a 6th round pick is a good deal. I like this pick not because he is a local boy, but he is the BPA at this point.

Eric Locke - A-
Last pick also is a good deal, someone they have watched long enough to notice and like. Put up nearly 100 points this year in the OHL. Has offensive ability and hopefully can maintain it in the pros. Small but as a 7 round pick if he amounts into earning an ELC the Sabres did well.

Overall they get like a B+ to an A-
My A+ Draft would be

If the rumors were true of 5 and McBain for 8 and Sekera

5. C Elias Lindholm
16. D Nikita Zadarov
38. D Steve Santini
52. W Will Carrier
69. W Anton Slepyshev
129. G Cal Petersen
130. D Anthony Florentino
143. C Victor Cruz-Rydberg
159. C Sean Malone
189. C Lucas Wallmark

If rumors were not true

8. D Rasmus Ristolainen
16. D Nikita Zadarov
35. F Valentin Zykov
38. F Nic Petan
52. F Will Carrier
69. F Anton Slepyshev
129. G Cal Petersen
130. C Viktor Cruz-Rydberg
143 D Anthony Florentino
159. C Sean Malone
189. C Lucas Wallmark

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Woodhouse

Pronman on our draft:
Quote:
First round: Buffalo walked away with two of the best defensemen in this draft class in Ristolainen and Zadorov. They are two big defenders who play different styles. Ristolainen is an older, more advanced player who played significant minutes in a top league. He is mobile and tough but can show above-average offensive ability and defend versus good players. He is the second-most NHL-ready defenseman in the 2013 draft class behind Jones. Zadorov is a tremendous physical specimen. He is 6'5'', 220 pounds, with great skating ability. He embraces the physical game and simply crushes opponents on a nightly basis. His offense is just average and he still needs work on his reads, but there is a lot of upside to his game. He will likely need a few years to fully develop before advancing to the NHL.

Rest of the picks: I'm a big fan of J.T. Compher. He can skate, handle the puck, make good reads in both ends, score, and play a gritty game. He has average size, but almost every other attribute about him is pointing in the right direction. Hurley could have been in my first round based on talent but I had him a little lower because he was a high school kid. He is a good to great skater, who can make a ton of plays with the puck but he could stand to be a little more aggressive in the physical game. Bailey is risk/reward pick. He is a big body with great hands and a top notch shot. He is a bit raw due to missing time from injuries and has a bit of an awkward stride. Baptiste came on well in the second half. He has great speed, plays hard, and has about average offensive potential. I liked Possler last year with the Swedish U18s. He is not the biggest guy, but he has quality speed and skill and fine potential in that range. Florentino is a defender with a good frame who scouts praise for his ability to move the puck well, and he has a big shot. Skating and defensive coverage are his issues going forward. Malone flashed good speed and skill with the USA Under-18 team. He has notable upside, and is certainly a guy to track when he starts playing at Harvard. Locke was touted in previous years, but never lived up the billing. He had a better year. He has quality skill and offensive hockey sense and is a nice flier type of pick to go with late.

Summary: Buffalo stocked their system at this draft, getting players of all types, and I'm not just saying that because their first five picks were suspiciously close to my rankings! They got a very good all-around defenseman, a physical monster on D, a great all-around center, a couple of toolsy forwards, a safe third line guy, some offensive gambles in the late rounds, and a goalie. As Buffalo looks to spark an organizational rebuild, this draft may prove to be a very key part of that.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
FanboySlayer*

Sabres are getting top grades on this draft but seriously when you have 4 of the top 52 picks, 2 in the first 16 in a draft unless you go seriously against conventional wisdom you're going to end up with some great prospects - hence a very good grade from pundits.

This team is woefully weak at center ice - Monahan and Lindholm were available to us for Sekera.

I'd rather have Monahan or Lindholm and Zadorov.

All three will be in the NHL fairly soon, this year or next year, so it's not going to be too long before we see how things work out with that decision.

Grade: B

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:46 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
Sabres are getting top grades on this draft but seriously when you have 4 of the top 52 picks, 2 in the first 16 in a draft unless you go seriously against conventional wisdom you're going to end up with some great prospects - hence a very good grade from pundits.

This team is woefully weak at center ice - Monahan and Lindholm were available to us for Sekera.

I'd rather have Monahan or Lindholm and Zadorov.

All three will be in the NHL fairly soon, this year or next year, so it's not going to be too long before we see how things work out with that decision.

Grade: B
Many people feel that way, and probably legitmately. However, I must point out, AGAIN, that, if BUF had traded picks and taken Lindholm / Monahan at #5, they would have had no prescience Zadarov would have been available at #16. None. Whatsoever.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post

Nikita Zadarov - A
At 16 this was a great pick. I still prefer forwards in the first due to statistical success in past drafts.
It's Zadorov. You may want to correct that in your avatar, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Many people feel that way, and probably legitmately. However, I must point out, AGAIN, that, if BUF had traded picks and taken Lindholm / Monahan at #5, they would have had no prescience Zadarov would have been available at #16. None. Whatsoever.
Not only that, but they don't have Compher in their system if they do that deal. Ultimately, whether it was a good deal or not is going to come down what turned out to be better: Monahan/Lindholm or Ristolainen + Compher. (Of course, Buffalo fans will assume the Sabres would've picked whichever turned out to be better between Lindholm and Monahan so as to maximize the amount of *****ing possible.)

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:44 AM
cybresabre
Boooo custard.

vCash: 900
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
I like how a lot of our picks have a strong will and some edge to their game. That's the game that plays in the playoffs and it will go a long way to reshape our identity.

8 Ristolainen "possesses brute power in his hands and arms for his age .. can be a smart, assertive physical presence - using his size advantage to bully the puck away "

16 Zadorov "His hits hurt and he strikes a lot of fear into opposing forwards. " "A big mean horse who is nasty and strong. His stick skills need work, but he's gaining confidence. Zadorov simply scares people"

35 Compher "Throws the opposition off with his tenacity and infectious edge" "Warrior with good speed, decent size and fearlessness in battle areas." "When you look at the package that J.T. has, it's skill, it's a competitive spirit. "

69 Baptiste "He competes to get to the front of the net, cycles the puck really well and puts great pressure on the fore-check, making sure to finish his hits." " Baptiste blends a raging competitive spirit with nice power forward elements."

143 Florentino "strong, hard-nosed defender .. captain of his team .. militant and punishing presence - finishes checks hard"

159 Malone "he was very good at both ends of the ice, showing some grit and tenacity." "His speed and relentless motor makes him a fine prospect. " "He's a character kid and leader."

We'll see how much of the pre-draft hype translates, but this draft looks like a big step in the right direction.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
I like how a lot of our picks have a strong will and some edge to their game. That's the game that plays in the playoffs and it will go a long way to reshape our identity.

8 Ristolainen "possesses brute power in his hands and arms for his age .. can be a smart, assertive physical presence - using his size advantage to bully the puck away "

16 Zadorov "His hits hurt and he strikes a lot of fear into opposing forwards. " "A big mean horse who is nasty and strong. His stick skills need work, but he's gaining confidence. Zadorov simply scares people"

35 Compher "Throws the opposition off with his tenacity and infectious edge" "Warrior with good speed, decent size and fearlessness in battle areas." "When you look at the package that J.T. has, it's skill, it's a competitive spirit. "

69 Baptiste "He competes to get to the front of the net, cycles the puck really well and puts great pressure on the fore-check, making sure to finish his hits." " Baptiste blends a raging competitive spirit with nice power forward elements."

143 Florentino "strong, hard-nosed defender .. captain of his team .. militant and punishing presence - finishes checks hard"

159 Malone "he was very good at both ends of the ice, showing some grit and tenacity." "His speed and relentless motor makes him a fine prospect. " "He's a character kid and leader."

We'll see how much of the pre-draft hype translates, but this draft looks like a big step in the right direction.
Yep, plus they sprinkled in a couple risk picks on guys with potentially high offensive upside in Hurley and Bailey, both of whom possess plus size, especially Bailey. Possler for where he was taken also has quality upside. I've only seen Hurley in that highlights video so far (plan to watch a game this week), but I've seen Bailey in action and if he can put his game together consistently then he's that quality goal-scoring winger we don't have in our system besides Armia.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:00 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Nick Baptiste - B-
Should make it to the NHL at least as a bottom 6 grinder. He needs to improve defensive play and hit more for that but he does have an outside chance of becomming a Stafford style scorer who has size and strength and occasionally will hit. (Sabres still had not selected a pure scorer so Buchenvich, Slepyshev, Duclair were all available as were Kujawinski, Bjorkstrand and Lodge)
At the U18 he was given first line PK duty, and in the semis and finals when up by a goal in the last minute with the goalie pulled Baptisite was the player out on the ice both occasions. In both instances he was on the puck and disrupting the play. I'll not say he does not need a bit of work defensively, and he's not a Selke candidate, but defensively from the forward spot he can compete with most forwards in this draft. Its probably his biggest upside.

Add to the fact he was rated the most underrated player in the OHL east this year and third best skater (for all players including OA's, not just draft prospects), it was a solid pick up.

Not a top line prospect, but has the potential to be a very solid third line contributor and defensive forward.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
At the U18 he was given first line PK duty, and in the semis and finals when up by a goal in the last minute with the goalie pulled Baptisite was the player out on the ice both occasions. In both instances he was on the puck and disrupting the play. I'll not say he does not need a bit of work defensively, and he's not a Selke candidate, but defensively from the forward spot he can compete with most forwards in this draft. Its probably his biggest upside.

Add to the fact he was rated the most underrated player in the OHL east this year and third best skater (for all players including OA's, not just draft prospects), it was a solid pick up.

Not a top line prospect, but has the potential to be a very solid third line contributor and defensive forward.
Yeah, he seems a great bet to crack the NHL as a bottom 6 guy, but with the potential to maybe evolve into a second-line type of guy. Really strong pick imo. We'll have to see how he does offensively this season.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
McTankel

Buffalo Number 1

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...-performances/

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:43 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The Habs have also gotten a whole lot tougher with the new additions to the NHL roster last year (wish we had Gallagher!). It wasn't long ago when both of our teams were wholly dependent on smurfs, now we're catching up to the new new NHL.
To be honest I did not like the Habs draft that much.

I understand you need size, but that to me means you have to have size in your skilled lines. To me if you have your top 3 forwards at 5'7, 5'9, 5'10 and the 4th line guys at 6'2, 6'3, 6'5, that is still not a "big" team to play against. The combination of size and skill is really important. It does not mean every player has to be big, but you have to have some size.

In the case of Montreal, I'm not sold on the draft because what I have seen of McCarron, and what he projects as, is at best a third line winger, probably a 4th line tough guy. At the U18 I did get to see him a decent amount, and his offense was decent, but for example was definitely a notch below Baptistes, who projects as average at best. Granted big guys do take longer to mature, and in the NHL there is more play in front of the net for which he could be valuable (look at Lucic for example). So the jury is not out for a number of years.

I liked what Buffalo did because they got decent size while ensuring the skill level is there on the forward end. Guys like Hurley, Bailey and Baptiste have good size (I'd say they top out 6'1.5 to 6'3 between them), play strong, but all have definite upside on the offensive end. To me they have at least the offensive upside as picks like McCarron, Dickinson, and Gauthier, and arguably more.

Its not that I would not love those three in my prospect pool, and I'm not saying they did not deserve to be taken where they are, just that if you are trying to address a size issue on your skilled lines, you have to look at offensive upside as well.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
To be honest I did not like the Habs draft that much.

I understand you need size, but that to me means you have to have size in your skilled lines. To me if you have your top 3 forwards at 5'7, 5'9, 5'10 and the 4th line guys at 6'2, 6'3, 6'5, that is still not a "big" team to play against. The combination of size and skill is really important. It does not mean every player has to be big, but you have to have some size.

In the case of Montreal, I'm not sold on the draft because what I have seen of McCarron, and what he projects as, is at best a third line winger, probably a 4th line tough guy. At the U18 I did get to see him a decent amount, and his offense was decent, but for example was definitely a notch below Baptistes, who projects as average at best. Granted big guys do take longer to mature, and in the NHL there is more play in front of the net for which he could be valuable (look at Lucic for example). So the jury is not out for a number of years.

I liked what Buffalo did because they got decent size while ensuring the skill level is there on the forward end. Guys like Hurley, Bailey and Baptiste have good size (I'd say they top out 6'1.5 to 6'3 between them), play strong, but all have definite upside on the offensive end. To me they have at least the offensive upside as picks like McCarron, Dickinson, and Gauthier, and arguably more.

Its not that I would not love those three in my prospect pool, and I'm not saying they did not deserve to be taken where they are, just that if you are trying to address a size issue on your skilled lines, you have to look at offensive upside as well.
I don't disagree about the Habs, but they're trending in the right direction. Gallagher for example is a top 9 guy who was on pace to score nearly 30 goals (NOT saying he will be a 30 goal scorer), and he's a guy who's hard to play against. Not a huge guy, but a tough player to battle for 3 periods. They sure did get embarrassed physically in that game (game 2 or 3?) against Ottawa, though. Regarding their draft, I haven't really looked at it yet, so I wasn't referring to that in my comments. I've only really reviewed a few teams' draft on the whole so far.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Squidriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug View Post
Wow. There's no appeasing the Buffalo fanbase. Darcy is **** if he does, **** if he doesn't.

I am very happy with the draft.

Two great big physical d-men in the first round.
And frankly both were BPAs in my book.

JT Comper is a great prospect to have in the system.
As far as the Sekera trade goes, I'm ok with it.
Frankly I don't understand the constant "Trade Miller! Trade Vanek! Trade Stafford! Fire sale fire sale fire sale!"
and then...
"Sekera???!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"
I like Sekera too, but do we want to build a contender or don't we?
I know that's oversimplified but I needed to say it.

Also, I'm not ready to give up on Mcbain.

The Hurley pick may have been a bit early but they had the picks to take a risky long term project.

I LOVE the Bailey and Baptiste picks. Never thought they would be able to get both of them, let alone Compher on top of that.

With the exception of Malone, I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about the others picks before today.
That being said, I like what I'm reading and seeing with regards to Peterson, Possler and Florentino.

Darcy's grade A-
He is just way too passive to the point where it seems like he does not care

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote