HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give this draft a grade!

View Poll Results: What grade would you give to this draft?
A+ 8 2.14%
A 24 6.42%
A- 57 15.24%
B+ 86 22.99%
B 100 26.74%
B- 46 12.30%
C+ 23 6.15%
C 15 4.01%
C- 11 2.94%
Fail 4 1.07%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-01-2013, 08:57 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

vCash: 500
The fact that Trainor and Gravel were invited to the training camp is a bonus for me. Not that I really care about Trainor but Gravel is a guy to keep an eye on this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see his progression explode.

Either way, both guys definitely deserve a shot.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:00 AM
All-Star

Xx player could have been had in a later round. I know because I make a living reading other teams' GM's minds.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Uwey

Not sure why so many are high on Zykov, against the Mooseheads in the Q final, he reminded me of Andi Kostitsyn. He showed signs of being very good shifts, then disappeared for many shifts there after.

As for those worried about Zac Fucale, remember he beat the heavily favored, Patrick Roy coached, Quebec Rampant last year in four games, as a 16yr old rookie, on a not so stacked team. I really, really thought the Avs would jump all over him with the 32nd pick.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:03 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

The fact that Trainor and Gravel were invited to the training camp is a bonus for me. Not that I really care about Trainor but Gravel is a guy to keep an eye on this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see his progression explode.

Either way, both guys definitely deserve a shot.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Xx player could have been had in a later round. I know because I make a living reading other teams' GM's minds.
No but when you are talking about 19 & 20 yr olds, they are heavily sought after in the first six rounds. Especially 19yr old goons.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Halifaxhab*

I liked the draft. We got picks that filled organizational needs. I gave it a B.

My opinion is the big winners are Buffalo quality and quantity and Calgary with 2 solid picks and a home run swing in the 1st

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iann View Post
Michael McCarron C-(Would probably be available at #36, possible even later)
Zach Fucale A+
Jacob De La Rose B- (Don't like him at all)
Connor Crisp F (what)
Sven Andrighetto C
Artturi Lehkonen A+
Jeremy Grégoire B+
Martin Reway B

Not too happy overall
Says who? You?

Every year starting at ~ the 20th pick you start seeing teams you see a bunch of teams going for specific types of players. with Mccaron being the meanest power forward of the draft, or the closest to Milan Lucic you could find, he's the perfect high reward project for any good team that wants to fill a need in the long-run.

In 3,4 years we'll have McCarron, De La Rose and Crisp who will be ready to fill-out our line-up and complete lines that already have talent on it. It's exactly what Chicago has been relying on for their success when kids like Bickell, Kruger, Shaw, Saad and Boilig effectively replaced Byfuglien, Versteeg, Eager and so on. The team will be BIG and will play big.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Says who? You?

Every year starting at ~ the 20th pick you start seeing teams you see a bunch of teams going for specific types of players. with Mccaron being the meanest power forward of the draft, or the closest to Milan Lucic you could find, he's the perfect high reward project for any good team that wants to fill a need in the long-run.

In 3,4 years we'll have McCarron, De La Rose and Crisp who will be ready to fill-out our line-up and complete lines that already have talent on it. It's exactly what Chicago has been relying on for their success when kids like Bickell, Kruger, Shaw, Saad and Boilig effectively replaced Byfuglien, Versteeg, Eager and so on. The team will be BIG and will play big.
I remember Lucic getting drafted. A lot of things that are being said about Mccaron now were being said about Lucic back then.

When you're drafting 25th, these are the kinds of risks you can take. I have no problem with this pick at all. The guy is huge and if he has any talent at all will play in the top six. At the very least we got a guy who is huge and will go to the net. We needed this in the worst way. I'm fine with this pick, if he busts... well, most 25th overall picks bust anyway. But if he works out we could be absolutely ecstatic with this pick.

Don't worry, be happy.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:18 AM
FieryTherrien
Quadruple high five

vCash: 456
McCarron has to be the biggest risk/reward pick since Kostitsyn. Not counting Subban since it was outside of the 1st round.

Edit: I guess David Fischer too since they were confident they could trade down & take him over higher ranked guys.

Last edited by FieryTherrien: 07-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
FieryTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Intangiblezzz
Price is God

#25. Michael McCarron: Like many, I would have preffered Zykov in his spot but it seems like many GM's passed on him so there must have been a reason. I still prefer McCarron over Theodore, Dano and Dickinson who went righ after our pick. Would have been ok with Klimchuk or especially happy with Hartman who went at #30.
Grade: B- (would have preffered Ryan Hartman)

#34. Jacob De La Rose: I was hyping this kid up for a long time. Im happy with this. He is a sure shot prospect that will bring speed and grit to our 3rd line. If he develops his offense a bit more he can be a solid 2nd liner. I still dont see why Zykov wasn't drafted but im not a GM and i dont know what problems he has.
Grade: A-

#36. Zach Fucale: I think he will be the steal of the draft. As much as people dont like him, we just took the best goaltender of the draft at #36 and our 3rd pick! Our goaltending prospect pool just got one of the best young goaltenders of the past few years. There is no reason to be upset.
Grade: A+

#55. Artturi Lekhonen: Boom or bust pick. I like him, he has a lot of grit for a small guy. Can join out top 6 if developped properly. i would have liked to see RDS's reaction after seeing him being picked right before Roy and Carrier. But good pick, good value at #55. Clear BPA.
Grade: A

#71. Connor Crisp: Ummm... i dont know what to say about this. I dont see anything in Crisp to warrant him being a 3rd round pick. Hayden, Kujawinski and Buchnevich would have all been better picks IMO. Good 4th liner? I think Hayden would be even better and a 3rd liner. This confuses me.
Grade: C- (would have preffered Hayden, Kujawinski or Buchnevich)

#86. Sven Andrighetto: I like Andrighetto, but this was early. He can maybe become a top 6 player but he is small and there was talent still on the board. Maybe a reach in this spot. This may have been a good spot to get a defender. Keaton Thompson, Mason Gersteen and Michael Downing were all available. Not to mention Oliver Bjokstrand.
Grade: C (Many other possibilities)

#116. Martin Reway: I dont know much about him. i do know he is small but talented. Maybe the next Gallagher? Not much was passed up for him so its not that bad of a pick. Maybe Fasching? But not a bad pick. Boom or bust.
Grade: B-

#176. Jeremie Gergoire: Great pick at this spot. Pretty good size and ranked #79 on the final ranking of North American skaters. So we got him almost 100 spots over his ranking. Can pay off in a few years. Great value pick.
Grade: A

Final mark: B

Hayden over Crisp and this draft would have gotten an A-. Fasching and Hartman over Reway and McCarron and I would have given it an A.

Intangiblezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I see a lot of Lucic comparisons, but I also hear that he's not really a good fighter. So I wonder, how would he compare to Boyle?

Anyway, I don't get the notion that he should've been picked at 34 or 36. He likely wouldn't have been there. These guys are always at a premium. To me, it's McCarron at 25 or not at all. If someone says: the Habs should've picked player X at 25, and who cares if McCarron's gone at 34, then okay, fair enough.

As others have said, getting Fucale at 36 should change how one looks at the McCarron pick at 25. Even a sceptic has to admit that between the two of them the Habs got a first round talent, best at his position, and a good prospect with a profile (PF, etc) that's always in very limited supply, and for that reason usually goes in the 1st round.

When you think back to some recent picks, for instance, you have guys like Wilson and Biggs, Kassian, Beach, Gillies -- potential top 6 PF are just rare and they're usually off the board by the time you get to pick where they're projected to go.

I have no problem with the McCarron pick at 25, especially given the 3 second rounders that followed it, most notably Fucale.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:57 AM
FieryTherrien
Quadruple high five

I don't think MB drafts McCarron if he doesn't have an early 2nd. I think he looked at the guys available and knew he'd get some good players regardless.

Speaking of Boyle, here's an LA Kings 2003 draft review:
Quote:
With three first round selections, the Kings could afford to maybe take a bit of
a gamble. Early projections had Boyle taken in the second round, but the Kings
could not pass up on a kid with such good raw skills at that size.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:09 AM
sampollock

they got bigger, and got a A+ goalie, to push down the road

mtl is spending money on teaching, so the giant they drafted will succeed, I have hope.

no splash as ECK prodicted

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Flambergius

I voted B. Picks seem good, but nothing really seems like a steal. Fucale is probably a good value pick, but young goalies generally don't offer much in terms of trade value, which limits his value as an asset.

Main thing I'm taking away from this draft is that BPA vs. Need is something of a false dichotomy. Habs clearly drafted for a type they were missing in the prospect pool. This should lead to strong and balanced prospect pool.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Habskrieg

No ****ing clue is my vote. We did address some size issues. But who knows how they'll turn out. I can't really judge from comments on the players from HF, as I'm sure most don't know squat about them and/or pissed that whoever they wanted wasn't picked.

I think Fucale pick was nice, we were in serious lack of prospects for that spot.

All in all, no idea how to judge this year. We'll get to look back on this draft depending how many players make it into the NHL, and in a couple years.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The amount of crying about not drafting Subban is delicious. He is tiny and too much of what we have..

Stop crying.
This place cries when we draft big, then cries when we don't...then cries when we draft small, but also cries when we don't go for a particular small player. Some people here have no ****ing idea what they want.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The amount of crying about not drafting Subban is delicious. He is tiny and too much of what we have..

Stop crying.
But I'm sure Reway fills a need, right?

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:07 AM
FieryTherrien
Quadruple high five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambergius View Post
I voted B. Picks seem good, but nothing really seems like a steal. Fucale is probably a good value pick, but young goalies generally don't offer much in terms of trade value, which limits his value as an asset.

Main thing I'm taking away from this draft is that BPA vs. Need is something of a false dichotomy. Habs clearly drafted for a type they were missing in the prospect pool. This should lead to strong and balanced prospect pool.
You can get a hell of a lot more for a top goalie prospect than a 2nd round pick.

He's worth more than the pick we used to get him.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
LeMAD

I understand that it's fun the speculate on this, but let's all remember that we all have no ****ing clue of what we're talking about. Every single one of us.

If you are mad because of some guy that we picked in the 3rd round, there's a problem with you.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:34 AM
vokiel
#FireBergerrien

vCash: 50
It's a C+ to me because it seems Trevor couldn't pick whoever he was targeting at the ranks he was picking. McCarron for example, he said they tried various scenarios and couldn't move up so they chose to patch a need, which is fine, but it also points to a failure as a team. (All the table, GM & Pres) I felt that DLR & Fucale were probably the best picks, the rest looked more like consequences of other teams picks than the guys Trevor wanted.

Anyway it's a grade after the draft day, so it isn't really worth much. We'll have to wait and see.

And to add... It seems MB decided to do a little wager with his buddy in Florida with the 7th.. so yeah.. average draft at best.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I understand that it's fun the speculate on this, but let's all remember that we all have no ****ing clue of what we're talking about. Every single one of us.

If you are mad because of some guy that we picked in the 4th round, there's a problem with you.
That's not entirely true or fair, lots of us have watched many of these prospects with our own eyes and have at least some basis in wanting Player X over someone else.

Whether we have the right to think our opinion is more valid than the scouts who are paid to do this for a living is another thing, but people can have their favorites and be upset at who the Habs did/didn't pick.

It's all pretty irrelevant until about 5 years down the line when we can start actually judging the results from the draft anyhow.

I'll always remember the Blackhawks' 2007 draft as the prime example of a cautionary tale about putting too much stock in the high-ranked guys or the "steals". The Hawks landed a bunch of highly ranked guys who fell in Billy Sweatt, Akim Aliu, Maxime Tanguay and Josh Unice...they were declared the slamdunk draft day winners. Fast forward 5 years and none of those "steals" have made the NHL in any capacity and are trending towards busts and that draft, outside of Patrick Kane at #1, is looking pretty weak indeed for them.

So the Blue Jackets, for example, might have the sexy draft today with Heatherington, Bjorkstrand, Moutrey and Soberg in the later rounds...it doesn't mean anything until they crack the NHL.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Dharvey33

BPA has worked out quite well for us in the last 20 years huh.

Maybe it's time to change our philosophy, the elite talent is already drafted in Galchenyuk, Subban, Collberg, Kristo, Paciorretty...

That's our talent core now we need players to support them and in this draft they did just that.

What's the point of having high end talent player if you don't have grit.
Plus high end talent tend to cost a lot of money and in a cap situation you cannot have elite players on 3 lines you must go with other options.

McCarron could be the next lucic or the next Blunden but he will be given a shot in the nhl it's up to him to prove Timmins right.

Delarose is the kind of player every teams need two way winger with size and a great work ethic. That's my favorite pick right there he will have a better career than Zykov book it. Seems like a sure shot for nhl how many of those do you get in the 2nd round?

Lekhonen reports says he has similar offensive talent than Barkov but his size is a problem. There's your elite talent right there.

Crisp meh big bodied guy that improved a lot in the last year. They saw something in him. I trut Timmins with late pick and late bloomers.

Gregoire looks like another Dumont which is good nothing against him.

Andrighetto has a lot of skills and will play in the nhl someday.

B+ because they had the balls to draft based on their needs just like the sabres did.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:47 AM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

I don't know how we did and do not care to venture a guess but it's not because the draft appeared to fill current holes that the habs did it on purpose. Just saying..

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Naoned

B

McCarron: Not sure about that one. Red Line questions his will to be physical and to drop the gloves. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because I trust Grant. If he pans out as expected, it's gonna be a huge improvement for this team.
De la Rose: The upside doesn't seem huge, but a solid pick.
Fucale: Great pick. He'll give us a lot of flexibility in the future. Everything I read about him, and the few games I caught, I was impressed.
Lehkonen: I like the pick. Talented guy, seems to be a bit late in his physical development, we can hope he'll gain some strength
Crisp: Total WTF pick.
Andrighetto: Good gamble
Reway: Seems to have attitude problems + small... not a good mix
Grégoire: Nice pick up.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:09 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Looks like 2012 was the draft where we added high ceiling talent (Galchenyuk, Collberg, Hudon, Bozon).

2013 was the draft where we added depth, but nothing spectacular. With all the big names out there, I also had higher expectations, but I trust Timmins enough and we can only judge him by the results... in a few years.
The 2012 Draft we had advantage of picking 3rd, getting cream of the crop of each round. This year we had to add secondary pieces to puzzle.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote